hogesar

First definitive ground expansion confirmation?

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I said something similar, possibly even before COVID hit. We had Aarons, Godfrey, Lewis, Cantwell and Buendia with a combined market value of £100-120m, and could easily have funded the rebuild by selling three, possibly four, of them and spending the bulk of it on taking the capacity to 33-35,000.

Carrow Road is neat and tidy but really showing it’s age now. That new stand is badly needed. 

Thought the saying was many years ago "We need 3 seasons consecutively in the Premier league before any major ground improvements would be made, 

13th in the Championship is hardly that! 

It was the same line about feasability studies, Liverpool and the Anfield Road redevelopment, financing, what to do with the displaced STHs that has been trotted out every time the subject is mentioned these last few years at AGMs and forums.

Nothing new to see here so move along please.

15 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

It was the same line about feasability studies, Liverpool and the Anfield Road redevelopment, financing, what to do with the displaced STHs that has been trotted out every time the subject is mentioned these last few years at AGMs and forums.

Nothing new to see here so move along please.

Oh aren't you mister doom and gloom 😞

9 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

With the amount of money we should have banked from multiple Premier League seasons there’s no reason this couldn’t already have been funded. 

Covid cost the club £30m, a fact that you and many others have conveniently forgotten 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, daly said:

More chance of seeing us in the Champions League and ground expansion 

If we have a similar to last season then 18000 crowds will be norm

rubbish

all the whiners who wouldnt renew the seasons tickets and yet once again they sell out

even towards the of the season to get two seat together as a non member was nearly impossible as a late purchase

there is a big difference between people paying for a ticket and not turning up and not selling tickets I used to regularly skip a game if I ran late for work or the missus was

and would never resell the seat occasionaly I would give it away if someone else wanted it but thats not a given

hell my brother didnt go to a single game last season but still has his season ticket

Edited by Paul101
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

Pie in the sky.

it just can’t happen, maybe it’s best that it doesn’t.

Carrow road and grounds like it are national treasures tbh. So many new emotionless grounds…

Carrow Road should be allowed to age like a fine wine

It's ageing alright but certainly not like a very fine wine!

10 hours ago, Conrad said:

Safe standing doesn't increase capacity, just replaces seating with standing. Why would they be working with the Liverpool architects if it were just about safe standing?

Our record attendance is just shy of 44,000 (nearly double our attendance now) in a significantly smaller stadium. Thus ‘safe standing’ would increase capacity albeit not to ‘standing’ figures!

That said, if the football does not improve then we will surely return to 15-18000 attendances… making this irrelevant.

We need to improve the players and club officials first.

(I don’t think we will spend ‘the missing’ premier league money on extending / improving the stadium. Which is a shame. Where did the money actually go? Surely Soccerbot was not that expensive haha)

https://www.canaries.co.uk/club/history

Edited by yellow_belly

The frustrating thing is that the support is there for a big uplift in the capacity but the finances aren't.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

The frustrating thing is that the support is there for a big uplift in the capacity but the finances aren't.

Surely, though, we MUST have financial plans in place for a rebuild otherwise why the hell are we wasting money on architects involvement and purchasing waste bits of land outside the ground?? 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

Our record attendance is just shy of 44,000 (nearly double our attendance now) in a significantly smaller stadium. Thus ‘safe standing’ would increase capacity albeit not to ‘standing’ figures!

That said, if the football does not improve then we will surely return to 15-18000 attendances… making this irrelevant.

We need to improve the players and club officials first.

(I don’t think we will spend ‘the missing’ premier league money on extending / improving the stadium. Which is a shame. Where did the money actually go? Surely Soccerbot was not that expensive haha)

https://www.canaries.co.uk/club/history

Safe standing can only increase capacity with a stand built from scratch to allow 'deeper' standing areas (i.e. the space between each rail) OR major rebuilding work is done to create such space. At FCR (and pretty much all other English grounds I think), 'safe standing' just means a 'rail', 'barrier' between you and the fan immediately in front of you but doing no work to the existing steps themselves. That would not increase capacity at all. At least this is my understanding of the concept although there may well be those with far superior knowledge of these matters to which I will, of course, give way.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, yellowrider120 said:

Safe standing can only increase capacity with a stand built from scratch to allow 'deeper' standing areas (i.e. the space between each rail) OR major rebuilding work is done to create such space. At FCR (and pretty much all other English grounds I think), 'safe standing' just means a 'rail', 'barrier' between you and the fan immediately in front of you but doing no work to the existing steps themselves. That would not increase capacity at all. At least this is my understanding of the concept although there may well be those with far superior knowledge of these matters to which I will, of course, give way.

I am not an expert regarding this subject, so take your word on this… and appreciate that I am probably wrong.

But… I like sitting. So hope that we don’t have to return to standing. (A real pain of behind someone much taller… especially for children)

11 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Surely, though, we MUST have financial plans in place for a rebuild otherwise why the hell are we wasting money on architects involvement and purchasing waste bits of land outside the ground?? 

Perhaps we should just sell the ground and land to housing developers and then build a new ground near the UEA / Research park.

I know this will not be popular but it may be the most sensible way forward?! After all we did move from the Nest to Carrow Road. (And FCR doesn’t exist anymore haha)

11 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

That's also my understanding. Basically one existing seat equates to one new safe standing space. Therefore no increase in capacity, no decrease in ticket price, just an increase in capital expenditure so that some can (officially) stand. Personally I would rather see any money spent on strengthening the team.

17 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

Perhaps we should just sell the ground and land to housing developers and then build a new ground near the UEA / Research park.

I know this will not be popular but it may be the most sensible way forward?! After all we did move from the Nest to Carrow Road. (And FCR doesn’t exist anymore haha)

Broadland Business Park (inside the NDR), particularly as there is a suggested new rail station for that location.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Covid cost the club £30m, a fact that you and many others have conveniently forgotten 

Hmm.

In 2020 Burnley and Sheffield United finished ninth and tenth in the Premier League. Our wage bill split the difference between the two. Theirs probably included substantial staying up bonuses for them and weren't we the only PL Club to claim the Government's Covid subsidy? These Clubs have spent significantly less on Wages in the last 3 years relative to status at the time.

Due to our higher supporter and commercial contributions we would have 'lost' more than them but comparator accounts for both years would suggest a figure closer to £22 million (perhaps a tendency to round up on NCFCs part).

High wages is the reason we haven't been able to make at least some significant contributions to ground development.

11 hours ago, Canary dwarf said:

What exactly is doom and gloom about hearing the same sound bites over ground expansion for the umpteenth time ?

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Broadland Business Park (inside the NDR), particularly as there is a suggested new rail station for that location.

Are you Tom Cavendish under a new username ? :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Given the state of our railways I can't begin to imagine how long it would take to build a new station and track network.

It's a better location than UEA area though, that's a traffic disaster at best of times.

I think the club would lose a lot of support moving to a soulless out of town stadium. It certainly wouldn't appeal to me and the type of matchday experience I enjoy, i.e a pub!

Ultimately the club can't afford to do it unless we have guaranteed £200m a year Premier League TV revenue coming in, and we're a long way off that. It's a vicious circle, the longer we wait the more it costs.

12 hours ago, Canary dwarf said:

I said during COVID let's sell max and redevelop the south stand , now Max's value has dropped big time and building costs have gone thru the roof , we missed a golden opportunity no fans for a long time at carrow road , such a shame

So let’s sell our best player and spend the money on a stand at a time when nobody knew when or how people would be allowed to attend. Even wealthy clubs paused building during COVID., but you alone were clever enough to know what the outcome would be.

11 hours ago, Canary dwarf said:

Not a clever observation. Til is simply realistic and spot on. To obtain any outside finance we would need to put up some 50% of the costs and then show some proof that we could afford the repayments. We are miles away from that scenario and it simply will not happen in the foreseeable future. After all it has taken the Club some 10 years to get round to refurbishing the Gents in the Regency Stand. Why on earth are we wasting money on studies and architects etc is mind gobbling.

• Like 1

So if safe standing eventually becomes a reality at Carra....Hopefully the club will be able to make an extra few bob by selling bespoke canary coloured milk crates to kids and the vertically challenged?.....

13 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

So let’s sell our best player and spend the money on a stand at a time when nobody knew when or how people would be allowed to attend. Even wealthy clubs paused building during COVID., but you alone were clever enough to know what the outcome would be.

That's so true and the only real defence in favour of not going ahead with this much needed modernisation during the lockdown. Interest rates were low then to boot.

However, nobody then knew the duration of lockdown/lockout which was costing clubs like NCFC a small fortune.

However, and on the contrary, risk taking is necessary in business and with hindsight the club may have been wrong not to proceed at the time.

50 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

City stand season ticket holders protest at the redevelopment.

Luton mass mobility scooters in protest drive at funding cuts - BBC News

I instantly thought Steppenwolf's...."Born to be Wild"...."Get your motor runnin'...
Head out on the highway
Looking for adventure
In whatever comes our way"....(Although I prefer Slade's version on 'Slade Alive').... 

Gone are the days, when we called the new river end the Justin stand. Build with the £1m Forest paid City for him.

If things carry on as they have in terms of performances, the present stands will be able to cope!