Sign in to follow this  
Flying Dutchman

Shots fired from Todd Cantwell

In a world where we supposedly embrace individuality, imagine 'one of our own' feeling like a constant target.

For all his faults, which cannot be ignored, you have to wonder how many of them were created by others.

SmartSelect_20230624_211930_Instagram.jpg

Edited by Flying Dutchman

Part of me is like fair play, people were disrespectful for what he looked like, another part of me is like why bring it up now you’ve left your old club, you’re old news now so move on. 

As ever, his narcissism takes centre stage and watch as the sharks pander to it. The story is a boring one but yet, here we all are…

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Soldier on said:

Either give us the full story or shut up Todd. 

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

What. A. C0ck.  Let it go. 

Well the first responses speak volumes.

Well done guys. Well done you.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

Part of me is like fair play, people were disrespectful for what he looked like, another part of me is like why bring it up now you’ve left your old club, you’re old news now so move on. 

As ever, his narcissism takes centre stage and watch as the sharks pander to it. The story is a boring one but yet, here we all are…

See, the point is that I never gave, and never will give, two sh1ts about what players look like, what they do in their personal life, or their sexual orientation.  It’s of no absolutely interest to me. I just care about whether they deliver on the pitch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

See, the point is that I never gave, and never will give, two sh1ts about what players look like, what they do in their personal life, or their sexual orientation.  It’s of no absolutely interest to me. I just care about whether they deliver on the pitch.

Me neither Branson but I’m afraid that’s too much to ask for some people.

I'll be honest it was really weird seeing grown men online, on here and other networks, constantly discussing Todd's hair and attire. 

Some of you were in your 60s and 70s and the lad was 19 or whatever. Creepy and weird.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Yep 100% this. I just can’t help get sucked in though to the drama. It’s like Emmerdale but more addictive, it’s why I come on this stupid forum almost every day. I don’t care for Cantwell now like I stopped giving a **** about Webber since he’s thrown in the towel but does it stop me from checking the Pink Un to read mostly nonsensical reactions?! You bet your bottom dollar it doesn’t… I guess it’s why we all secretly love the absurdness and drama of football despite the fact it makes absolutely no sense to get attached… 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I'll be honest it was really weird seeing grown men online, on here and other networks, constantly discussing Todd's hair and attire. 

Some of you were in your 60s and 70s and the lad was 19 or whatever. Creepy and weird.

See my comment above 

and equally when you grow mid / long hair lengths the adults in your life can’t help but comment and fawn for it, I think it reminds them of a better time, a time with less “foreigners”, houses were cheaper, no one cared about lard and a time when Jimmy Hendrix played Dereham which remains, to this day, it’s biggest accolade 

20 minutes ago, hogesar said:

See the thing is I don't really remember an awful lot of unprompted hair-bashing or clothes criticism, the TC narrative is pretty much entirely given life by the guy himself. Much like in this instance, nobody was talking about Cantwell until he sparked it.

We have plenty of players given much worse social media abuse, who haven't found any need to publicly sound off at all.

When he gets over it, everyone else will.

• Like 2

Could have been a top EPL player but instead of which he is looking good in a League of, at best, League one players.

6 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

See the thing is I don't really remember an awful lot of unprompted hair-bashing or clothes criticism, the TC narrative is pretty much entirely given life by the guy himself. Much like in this instance, nobody was talking about Cantwell until he sparked it.

We have plenty of players given much worse social media abuse, who haven't found any need to publicly sound off at all.

I dont know if, with any other player, we had threads started on here about (they're all still viewable on this forum by the way)

- Is Todd gay - grown men debating

- Todd needs to cut his hair because he's attention seeking

- Todd deserves stick if he's going to dress like that

- An entire thread dedicated to a top less picture of Todf

Unfortunately he's not making it up. Some of it got exceptionally personal on twitter / Instagram. Concerningly so. 50 year old blokes harassing him on Instagram if he uploaded a picture with his top off.

I think he should have simply avoided social media but for his generation it's actually quite a sacrifice and I don't think it's the real answer.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

I know I’m hovering over the forum tonight but I can’t agree with this. 

Cantwell was repeatedly bashed on here for the way he looked and the way he engaged on social media. 

For me, I genuinely could not care less as to his social media behaviour, all I wanted was the minutes on pitch.

His biggest fault was how he “got into his head” and let detractors sidetrack him from his game and he played right into their hands by making it a personal thing which is why we see the ****e he’s inclined to post now. 

Pity the LITTLE BOY didn’t worry about playing football instead worrying about what people are saying about him. Let’s all hope he swims in the water where the Loch Ness monster is

Learning to deal with those criticisms and try not to take them too personally  is an important lesson too, and he's probably at a much better age to be more confident in himself is probably another part of how he feels today,

I don't know if we're particularly bad for it round here, or if he would've experienced it at other clubs coming through as a young player?  I only know of my own existence and experience of life as a Norwich supporter.

But there's been some really poor attacks on how he looks and acts, many questioning his sexuality, calling him a fairy... All this kind of stuff, while what's being said doesn't offend me personally.  I just can't work out why our own fans would seek to belittle one of our own young talents on how they look or act,

• Like 1

I remember he was giving out kit etc like some Father Christmas if you had a Norwich flag in your garden, when looking at the kit he was giving out it was defo match issued so probably not even out of his own back pocket. Looking good against Dumbarton is his level and why he will stay in Scotland! 

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Is this the "truth I'm telling it all this time" story? Boo hoo hoo people joked about your hair?

Yeah, because personal attacks on peoples physical appearance never upsets anyone. Especially young people thrust into a spotlight they've never had to deal with before. Pathetic CC.

Who are you to decide how people get affected by unnecessary and childish criticism? And what triggers it? Mental health is no joke, different people are affected in different ways.

Remind me to call BS the next time you moan about being bullied after constantly inviting/supposedly thriving on it.

I've never enjoyed your constant posting and frankly embarrassing 'fence sitting'/going with the status quo, but I didn't have you down as this CC.

Edited by Flying Dutchman
  • Like 3

It looks like he is concerned that a whole month has passed without any mention from Norwich fans and he's worried that he isn't at the forefront of our minds any more, so he needs to make sure he takes his rightful place as the centre of attention again. 

Whilst I agree with @hogesar's comments that some of the stick he got was over the top and unnecessary, there's no doubt in my mind that Cantwell himself is at least equally responsible by fanning the flames with this type of social media post at every given opportunity. In fact, he probably enjoys it; he clearly craves attention and cannot seem to handle not being talked about. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It looks like he is concerned that a whole month has passed without any mention from Norwich fans and he's worried that he isn't at the forefront of our minds any more, so he needs to make sure he takes his rightful place as the centre of attention again. 

Whilst I agree with @hogesar's comments that some of the stick he got was over the top and unnecessary, there's no doubt in my mind that Cantwell himself is at least equally responsible by fanning the flames with this type of social media post at every given opportunity. In fact, he probably enjoys it; he clearly craves attention and cannot seem to handle not being talked about. 

I think he took the wrong approach to it, but I'm not sure he enjoys it. From what I gather, he's incredibly frustrated at the portrayed situation that left to him leaving, and the reputation he's got from it. I guess with the season over he wants people to know a bit more about what he went through. Those close to him say it's grossly unfair but of course they would, whilst the club would never want to admit they failed a youth prospect. Each have their own vested interests so can never be sure.

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Whilst this is definitely true, it doesn't mean Cantwell isn't also a pr*ck who appears to want the attention. I don't care what you look or dress like, and to be honest, I don't even care if you're a pr*ck, if you can do it on the pitch. However, I've never been sold by his ability; you have to be technically amazing to be as physically poor as he is, and his technique isn't that good.

Look, lets get this straight. His problems started at school with people being jealous of him. Young people - not old people. Local school tribalism and all that. He is a bit self-centred and image conscious too, there isn't much doubt about that.

But he had become a problem mainly because of footballing issues, not the bullying or the social media stuff.  The agent, the contract issues, the losing focus on the pitch, the absences, the falling out with Farke. Footballing stuff.

So he can go on about bullying, people attacking his social media, getting peeved about comments about his hair, but really, all he had to do was concentrate on playing football. If he had done that, the rest of the stuff would have disappeared.

I mean, yes it's crap that people judge others based on appearance, and it shouldn't happen, ever, but... unfortunately it does and he is a public figure / role model. So perhaps he should have taken that negative and turned it into something positive as a role model. "Yes, people make fun of my hair but that's fine. That's on them. I am strong enough to be myself" rather than do cryptic messages through social media which, to be honest, fuelled the fire.

14 hours ago, Flying Dutchman said:

SmartSelect_20230624_211930_Instagram.jpg

" 'It's nice knowing' that worrying about what people thought of my clothes and hair was actually such a trivial thing to be concerned about. How lucky I was. I should have made the most of my opportunities at Norwich. I am not going to make the same mistakes at Rangers. I have learnt a valuable lesson and grown up a bit. I am going to try to stop ruminating about the past"

- maybe a more appropriate statement from someone with maturity and humility.

He sounds too much like Harry Windsor.

• Haha 1