For the future

Young hungry goal scorer

I’m looking at the strikers that we have got I can not see any of them scoring many goals . We need a young goal scorer to get us back to the premier league or we can stay in the championship with what we have got.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, For the future said:

I’m looking at the strikers that we have got I can not see any of them scoring many goals . We need a young goal scorer to get us back to the premier league or we can stay in the championship with what we have got.

There’s already a thread on Adam Idah. Scored two last season so confidence is on the up. 

• Haha 7

5 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

There’s already a thread on Adam Idah. Scored two last season so confidence is on the up. 

Adam Idah can no longer be considered young in footballing terms, nor is he a goalscorer. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I do wonder how much we could nick Clarke-Harris from Peterborough for.  Not a 'young' goal scorer, but is 'a' goal scorer who's not over 30.  But don't think he'd tick the athletic box if Wagner is seeking to high press. 

Only seen him in highlights and playoff matches, so don't know his full game across 90 mins.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

He's 22 of course he's young.

Not in footballing terms he isn't. Whilst some players improve with age, most have demonstrated some competence before the age of 22 (23 shortly).  Compare Idah to Sargent. Similar age. 

Edited by Conrad

Must be a Phil Foden type in the lower leagues that'll come here and be paid in Panda Pops and Haribo and a few free tickets for Nando's....Who's keen to show his skills and prowess in front of goal?.....

15 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I do wonder how much we could nick Clarke-Harris from Peterborough for.  Not a 'young' goal scorer, but is 'a' goal scorer who's not over 30.  But don't think he'd tick the athletic box if Wagner is seeking to high press. 

Only seen him in highlights and playoff matches, so don't know his full game across 90 mins.

Wouldn’t say no to him coming here and Idah going the other way on loan. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Not in footballing terms he isn't. Whilst some players improve with age, most have demonstrated some competence before the age of 22 (23 shortly).  Compare Idah to Sargent. Similar age. 

Yes which I why I consider Sarge young too.

2 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Yes which I why I consider Sarge young too.

Exactly. It just emphasises the difference in ability at a similar age.

Not only do we need a goal scorer but a player who's going to create all these chances as well. Someone who can replace Dowell for instance.

13 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Not only do we need a goal scorer but a player who's going to create all these chances as well. Someone who can replace Dowell for instance.

So, technically, we're looking for an Adam Idah circa mid-late Jan'22 and a Kieran Dowell circa mid-late Jan'23.

I'm sure the Attanasio's have some software that can process that purple patch data, get the DNA mixed up, injected into Soccerbot's uterus, apply some weed and feed, and we should be all ready for the start of the season then.

Or we refuse to play any matches outside of the mid-late January purple patch that we've found ourselves.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Conrad said:

Rubbish.

It's often the early bursters that don't progress, they tend to "look good for a 16-21yr old" but then fail to really build or progress from that.

It is really rare to find 18-22yr olds that are solidly good from those years through to retirement.

Even more so when you look at different positions.

• Like 2

If Sergant plays as a forward week in week out can see him scoring 20 plus in the Championship. His record kast season was 8 in 18 as a forward. Rest of his games were out wide which we can all agree he isn't really suited to.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Conrad said:

Adam Idah can no longer be considered young in footballing terms, nor is he a goalscorer. 

you do know that some players are good at 20 then turn crap

and the same aplies to older players some peak at 28 the whole young hungry striker nonsense is nothing other than that

17 minutes ago, Paul101 said:

you do know that some players are good at 20 then turn crap

and the same aplies to older players some peak at 28 the whole young hungry striker nonsense is nothing other than that

I do and that is why I have said that he needs to go out on loan to be given the opportunity to prove himself. If he does then we may have a player. Unfortunately we do not have the time to 'develop' him by allowing him to play at Norwich with it's inherent risk. 

FFS, Josh Sargent given the chance to lead the line will do just fine.
Did you miss the fact he was top goal scorer this year? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Conrad said:

Have a look at how Carlton Morris was doing at age 22 (before his injury) and look how he is doing at Luton aged 27 (28 in December), in fact he only really started scoring regularly in the Championship in the last two seasons (age 26). I am not saying Idah will be going the same way as Carlton Morris, but equally I would not totally write him off just yet...........

9 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Have a look at how Carlton Morris was doing at age 22 (before his injury) and look how he is doing at Luton aged 27 (28 in December), in fact he only really started scoring regularly in the Championship in the last two seasons (age 26). I am not saying Idah will be going the same way as Carlton Morris, but equally I would not totally write him off just yet...........

Norwich City - home for platers who might make it, or not. Yes, Morris is scoring now, but would we have won two titles and promotion in those years from his FA Youth Cup winning had we played him here ? What success would we have had, had they all stated....to see if they might make it ?

This is a make or break season, in that the parachute money ends this season. Maybe some might care to remember we have been funded by PL or parachute money for over a decade. This is no time for sentiment. Pack him off out on loan and let's see if he is up to it. There will be far, far better forwards out there. We need two, as a minimum.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

That is fair but we have to accept that Morris was discarded but not looking any worse than Idah.

3 hours ago, chicken said:

Rubbish.

It's often the early bursters that don't progress, they tend to "look good for a 16-21yr old" but then fail to really build or progress from that.

It is really rare to find 18-22yr olds that are solidly good from those years through to retirement.

Even more so when you look at different positions.

Thing here is that there are good examples that fit whatever argument you want to make on this one - in simple terms Idah has plenty of time to come good, whether it is with us or elsewhere.  

We need an extra striker with a bit of goalscoring nous about him because it has become a game that uses the (extra) subs more frequently ... like each and every game.

Players even seem to get more frequently injured in the long hard Championship season ... all of Pukki, Sargent and Idah had spells out last season.

Only Sargent of the three in contention is likely to get far into double figures.

No youngster is likely to burst through just yet (Kamara, Dixon Peters.)

Decent loanee from the PL or a promising young hit man from the lower leagues?

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

We need an extra striker with a bit of goalscoring nous about him because it has become a game that uses the (extra) subs more frequently ... like each and every game.

Players even seem to get more frequently injured in the long hard Championship season ... all of Pukki, Sargent and Idah had spells out last season.

Only Sargent of the three in contention is likely to get far into double figures.

No youngster is likely to burst through just yet (Kamara, Dixon Peters.)

Decent loanee from the PL or a promising young hit man from the lower leagues?

This. We are presently woefully short up front to mount a serious challenge next season. Sarge could get 15… but certainly no obvious front man to fire us up the table. That’s my point really - it’s a bit depressing reading on this thread a hope that idah might yet become a Carlton Morris…no offence but that’s a pretty low bar for a club of our stature  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nexus_Canary said:

FFS, Josh Sargent given the chance to lead the line will do just fine.
Did you miss the fact he was top goal scorer this year? 

i am sure Josh will be fine if played as striker ,

Problem lies if he is injured or loses form then we are relying on Idah to get his goal scoring boots on ,

• Like 1

I don't think Sargent or Idah are anything special; they fluff so many chances it's often painful to watch. Maybe it's a lack of confidence come match day; if they were that poor in training they'd never be pro footballers, so I live in hope they find their shooting boots sooner than later. Meanwhile, we really do need a sharp 19-26 year old goalscorer to lead the line who plays without fear. As @BroadstairsR mentioned, with inevitable injuries they'll all be required over the season...

• Like 2