Icecream Snow

"City to announce new signing and coach imminently"

20 minutes ago, Soldier on said:

He’d be a massive upgrade on onel to be fair. 9 goals compared to 2??

But is it though?

This season he's done really well, without a doubt. Far better than any of our own players in the same position.

But you look back over the past seasons. For Stoke he played 94 times and scored just 12 goals. That's one in eight games.

On loan at Luton in 2021 - 7 games, 0 goals. 

On loan to Reading in 2022 - 15 games, 2 goals.

It's only this season, playing for his Dad, he seems to have sprung back into form. 

It would definitely be a bit meh I guess my main point is I don’t personally really rate onel that highly .

1 minute ago, stratton canary said:

Tom Ince or Bradley Dack?  Only a suggestion 

Bradley Dack has just been released from Blackburn, my only concern would be his recent injuries in the ast couple of seasons.  

I always thought contracts ran until the end of June? Seems we are doing out of contract lads quite early

37 minutes ago, Top corner said:

Bradley Dack has just been released from Blackburn, my only concern would be his recent injuries in the ast couple of seasons.  

His mrs is tasty though so that’s a plus 

55 minutes ago, Top corner said:

Hell of a sideways move to come to us.

A midtable Prem side would be my bet.

1 hour ago, Soldier on said:

It would definitely be a bit meh I guess my main point is I don’t personally really rate onel that highly .

Question for me is if he's able to improve next season, he definitely showed better stamina and became a bit smarter in his final product in the months under Wagner but he needs to go further if he can.

4 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Doesn't he play for Luton? 

Seen it said that it's Tom Ince 

Out of contract 

13 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Hell of a sideways move to come to us.

A midtable Prem side would be my bet.

Dack has had injury issues that might make any Premier side think twice. 

5 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Dack has had injury issues that might make any Premier side think twice. 

And make Webber compulsive 😬

Seriously though, a player i’d take the gamble on.

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto

4 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

And make Webber compulsive 😬

Seriously though, a player i’d take the gamble on.

Is he a player that's a lot like Sara, though?

2 hours ago, SwearyCanary said:

Want to list our squad and their ages? 

Thought not. It’d be annoying for you to see your point completely nullified so devastatingly 

Well for a start we currently have SIX players 30 or over. That may rise to EIGHT if the Ince and Colback rumours turn into fact. Of course (to be fair) that may not happen. We have FIVE players yet to reach age 21 but only one of these (Kamara) is still a 'teenager'.

My point was that we appear to be binning the much vaunted philosophy of 'young, hungry' players or even your mid 20's players with a 'point to prove' at FCR by playing at a higher level e.g. R Martin when he came here and others in the Lambert teams.  

Nothing wrong with 'experience and some nous' of course and geezers like Milner have proved that for years but unless you match that with the pace and hunger of youth then you're putting way too many eggs is a very short term basket.

Trust you're satisfied that I have disproved your argument quite easily. For sake of completeness though and as this writer never ducks a challenge,  the list you require will be posted tomorrow. For obvious reasons I have excluded players yet to appear for the first team. One assumes that meets with your approval?

6 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Well for a start we currently have SIX players 30 or over. That may rise to EIGHT if the Ince and Colback rumours turn into fact. Of course (to be fair) that may not happen. We have FIVE players yet to reach age 21 but only one of these (Kamara) is still a 'teenager'.

My point was that we appear to be binning the much vaunted philosophy of 'young, hungry' players or even your mid 20's players with a 'point to prove' at FCR by playing at a higher level e.g. R Martin when he came here and others in the Lambert teams.  

Nothing wrong with 'experience and some nous' of course and geezers like Milner have proved that for years but unless you match that with the pace and hunger of youth then you're putting way too many eggs is a very short term basket.

Trust you're satisfied that I have disproved your argument quite easily. For sake of completeness though and as this writer never ducks a challenge,  the list you require will be posted tomorrow. For obvious reasons I have excluded players yet to appear for the first team. One assumes that meets with your approval?

One of the many things Webber said- which wasn't about divorcees or women's football, unbelieveably- is that we are targeting a couple of Barnes-ish age, several players in the 26-28 prime bracket and a continuing effort to recruit young, buildable players.

It makes sense that the first ones we're hearing about are the older guys who are out of contract.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Caught an interesting one from Gary Neville saying the reason the Class of '92 won their first Premier League title was NOT the Class of '92. He said it was the likes of Keane, Cantona, Bruce, Schmeichel.... the spine of the team around which the youngsters were built, that showed why they won.

Makes perfect sense that we look for a new spine if Hanley's gonna be out, Krul is likely to be number two, McLean could be a problem if he doesn't recover old form after that injury. A gritty fighter like Barnes up top is a logical starting point.

• Like 1

Ryan Manning? According to wiki, Tom Ince has two years left on his Reading contract - we surely wouldn't pay a fee for him?

I guess there has to be a balance. The class of 92 certainly had experienced pros to look up to and learn from, would they have been as good without the up and coming? No.

We have won a solitary major trophy and did so with a team of younger players that we developed and pushed on but we also had Mick Channon and Asa Hartford who were both well into their twilight.

In a championship slog, we probably need to be a bit cuter. We’re not gonna find a new Buendia every few years and the youngsters need that seasoned pro to look up to. I seriously doubt we’ll load up on older guys but watching the collapse of form once we lost Kenny and Hanley suggests we need a few more that have been around the block, will fight and lift the younger talent we do have. 

7 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Ryan Manning? According to wiki, Tom Ince has two years left on his Reading contract - we surely wouldn't pay a fee for him?

Ince is definitely out of contract next month. 

And of course he knows Wagner and Webber so looks possible. 

9 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

It would if you included players between 22-30, which you leave out completely and make up a chunky section and are mostly very much the bottom end of that wide range. 

I hope you’ll exclude all new additions yet to appear in the first team? Ie all of them. You can’t hammer the team for becoming a retirement home before the first game of the season after a summer where the youth have a very big chance to make the first team come game day 1. 

I look forward to the list. 

2 hours ago, SwearyCanary said:

It would if you included players between 22-30, which you leave out completely and make up a chunky section and are mostly very much the bottom end of that wide range. 

I hope you’ll exclude all new additions yet to appear in the first team? Ie all of them. You can’t hammer the team for becoming a retirement home before the first game of the season after a summer where the youth have a very big chance to make the first team come game day 1. 

I look forward to the list. 

Gunn 27, Krul 35

Air Rons 23, AO 20, Hanley 31, Gibson 30, McCallum 22, Giannoulis 27, Mumba 21, Tomkinson 21

Sara 23, Tzolis 21, Sorensen 25, Placheta 25, McClean 31, Argos 30, Nunez 23, Rowe 20, Springett 20, Gibbs 20

Idah 22, Sargent 23, Kamara 19, Barnes 33 (*)

Average age = 24 years and 9 months. Everyone will have their own opinion on whether that average age is 'young', 'mid range' or 'ageing'. I would say it's the 'mid range' category. One things for sure, this current first team squad is NOT ......'very young' as so many people seem to continually state.    

* You seem to want to exclude said player for some reason??!! 

18 hours ago, PockthorpePete said:

Mousehold Heath

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp43OdtAAkM

Brian Clough built a team of 'nobodies that won the old 2nd Div, then went on to win LI, then the European Cup. Lambert assembled a team of relative nobodies. It can be done, though it would inevitably mean a far amount of toys out of the pram from the usual suspects on here. Sell OMO, Radish, Max and Sara and maybe a sell on from Maddison.  Built a bully team. Players such as Holt and R Martin who never dreamed of PL, and fought like fark to get there when given a chance. Carry on nicking other clubs promising youngsters. Lewis, Godfrey, Maddison, Gibbs, Mumba

Money is not everything. Especially parachute payments. All four of play off clubs have did not have play off money, nor expensive signings either. We need winners, not fancy dan Charles 'Charlie' Charles type players. it is a new season, a new era so lets embrace the change and enjoy it, and shut up hinging, and endlessly griping.

Totally agree we need a few bullies in the team not fancy footwork guys who think they know it all but don't go in for tackles or try to retrieve the ball. You need brutal strength and some skill to earn your crust

• Thanks 1

Surprised to see so many people thinking Dack would be a good signing. Been 4 or 5 years since he had a genuinely good season and he's not a player for a high intensity pressing system.

1 hour ago, KeiranShikari said:

Surprised to see so many people thinking Dack would be a good signing. Been 4 or 5 years since he had a genuinely good season and he's not a player for a high intensity pressing system.

Injuries have limited his appearances. Was a decent player before that.

Webber bringing Holt or Ted McDougall and phil Boyer back- what we need is another Colin Suggett or Trevor Hockey- them days were good to watch city play-

• Thanks 1