Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

An indication of our ambition?

Extended contracts to Hernandez & Idah, neither of which pull up many trees on a regular basis.

Reported interest in a 33 year old striker who if bought would hardly be a signing for the future given that future is next season.

Sorry, but we seriously need to do better than that.

A lot better.

• Like 1

We need a complete overhaul.

If we are looking to the Premiership how many of the present squad would be good enough? Two or three tops.

If we are looking Championship, how many are good enough at present, possibly six or seven.

It is good that we have a few youngsters who may make it but they will have a lot of work to do.

Considering we have an eighteen man match day squad to name this doesn't look too promising.

I really hate how many Norwich fans have decided that Idah is a bust already. I'd understand it more if he'd spent a majority of his minutes playing in his natural position but he just hasn't. Smith got his best performances out of us last season with Idah up top as did Wagner this season.

Ashley Barnes makes a lot of sense to me. With 2 young strikers in Sargent and Idah we're probably looking for a rotation option with good leadership qualities for a couple of seasons. He's just come off the back of a promotion season where he played the best part of 2000 minutes so his legs clearly aren't gone. Seen some suggest that he's a clogger but that really isn't the case, he's sound technically. 

Despite the fact I'm not fan of Hernandez I can see the value of keeping somebody like him around. He's obviously a good personality and on his day he's electric. Giving him the benefit of the doubt he was one of our better performers under Wagner before the injuries/depression hit. We also have no other senior wingers so I would hope that the 2 or 3 we sign will be a lot better than his average.

Edited by KeiranShikari
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Making Plans said:

Better than what? It's barely been 24 hours since we played the final match of the season and you're saying we should be doing better in the transfer window(?!).

• Like 8

Hernandez had a lot of possession yesterday and in space. Unlike many in the side he has a bit of pace. But rather sadly I cannot recall him hardly playing a decent ball in to the box.

4 minutes ago, vos said:

Hernandez had a lot of possession yesterday and in space. Unlike many in the side he has a bit of pace. But rather sadly I cannot recall him hardly playing a decent ball in to the box.

Yes, he was ineffective yesterday, much more like the Hernandez of old. Let's hope it was just one poor game.

As things stand we've only got Sargent & Idah. The latter we all hope will come good, but we've been saying that for several seasons now.

Barnes, if he signs makes good sense on a free for all the experience he brings, and imo would instantly become our 2nd striker ahead of Idah.

For once we're looking at someone who would improve the squad instantly (not only because he's just won a championship so brings determination and an winning mentality with him, something we're desperately short of) compared to the majority of our signings that take time to acclimatise to English football or are "ones for the future"

We all said exactly the same when Pukki signed and had a pretty poor record, and that turned out alright! On a free Barnes makes sense, big, strong, physically fit, and plenty of experience  

A prickly, determined character who's done well for Burnley this season and would also be EXCELLENT for Sargent and Idah to learn from. Idah needs to be told how to use his physicality and to get a bit nasty now and again, Sargent will never be found lacking in effort but needs the fine-tuning so an experienced battle axe here would be grand for him. Not to mention, it's often said as a team we're a bit too nice. Barnes will certainly argue his corner and then some, and it might galvanise a few of the others.

Youth won't learn as well on its own, and Pukki's weakness for us was that the team moved away from him. Both Sargent and Idah have a healthy turn of pace but they're hardly nippy. But a proven aerial presence and fighter in the opposition penalty box is exactly what those two can learn from.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Making Plans said:

Extended contracts to Hernandez & Idah, neither of which pull up many trees on a regular basis.

Reported interest in a 33 year old striker who if bought would hardly be a signing for the future given that future is next season.

A lot better.

I think a better - worse - indication would be if he didn’t sign. 

Parma

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Alfie54 said:

Thought their number 11, Bowler I believe, looked really useful

A player I'd really like us to go in for. Was bought up in Forests spree in the summer + farmed out to Greece on loan first half of the season.

In fact, a double of O'brien and Bowler would be excellent business if we're shopping in Nottingham.

26 minutes ago, Alfie54 said:

Thought their number 11, Bowler I believe, looked really useful

Bowler as well is basically a younger, and at this stage possibly better, version of Tom Ince. 

The OP is right but, as ever, those who dare suggest the club are lowering expectations and lacking ambition will be met with angry choruses of “window is not over yet” etc..

I remember last summer when I bemoaned a lack of CDM and stated idah was L2 standard and said the management was stale. I was slated but here we are. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

The OP is right but, as ever, those who dare suggest the club are lowering expectations and lacking ambition will be met with angry choruses of “window is not over yet” etc..

I remember last summer when I bemoaned a lack of CDM and stated idah was L2 standard and said the management was stale. I was slated but here we are. 

You get slated because you are just noise. The same tiresome monotonous whinging no matter what is happening. You put everything in a negative slant, accept nothing of any opposing point of view and then cry if you're right (as above) or cry if you're wrong.

If you showed balance in your posts rather than acting like an 11 year old troll all the time, your views might be recognised.

• Like 4

Full circle and back to 'Prudence with Ambition'....But 13th in the league to me, is more than acceptable....

and we aren't going to get bull whipped, ridiculed and lose every game come from August and beyond....and for this alone....

Let us Praise the Lord, Praise the Board, praise the squad, praise Waggo an' Webbo and let us all be thankful for small mercies!...

Hallelujah!...Hallelujah!...and thrice HALLELUJA!.... 

And now Twitter suggests we are to offer Krul a new contract and sell Gunn. It’s woeful - total joke if true the very opposite of what an ambitious club would do 

17 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

The window isn't even open yet you wally.  Will be around June sometime.

• Like 1

The use of the word 'ambition' here is missing the point: we can't spend money we don't have and every penny of the earnings from our last promotion has already been spent. The contracts for Idah and Hernandez are more a reflection of our means than our desires.

They, sadly, also represent the perpetuation of the flawed plan which the club (Webber) has been trying to implement for two seasons: to place athleticism above all else and, consequently, strip all skill, intelligence, creativity etc... from our squad. We've successfully transitioned away from being 'the best bottom Premier League team' to a bang average Championship club. Yay! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

And now Twitter suggests we are to offer Krul a new contract and sell Gunn. It’s woeful - total joke if true the very opposite of what an ambitious club would do 

Just found the tweet - I'll put it in the transfer rumour thread.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yellow Wal said:

We need a complete overhaul.

If we are looking to the Premiership how many of the present squad would be good enough? Two or three tops.

If we are looking Championship, how many are good enough at present, possibly six or seven.

It is good that we have a few youngsters who may make it but they will have a lot of work to do.

Considering we have an eighteen man match day squad to name this doesn't look too promising.

Currently, none are good enough for the Premiership. However that is not where we are and, without significant improvement to the starting eleven, are unlikely to be in the foreseeable future. 

45 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I mean you also bemoaned both the windows before our title wins. 

And actually, the most positive you've ever been was our prem summer window. Would you like me to find those quotes from you.......again?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Petriix said:

The use of the word 'ambition' here is missing the point

When people say "ambition" they always mean "money". Usually other people's.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I mean you also bemoaned both the windows before our title wins. 

And actually, the most positive you've ever been was our prem summer window. Would you like me to find those quotes from you.......again?

Sure. As long as you balance that ONE post I made excited at Kabaks signing - my bad- with the MANY many others I made that same summer lambasting the sale of Emi and the inexplicable decision not to replace Skipp and buy another CB. But I doubt such fairness would appeal to you. After all you spend that summer suggesting all was well… 

Just now, Michael Starr said:

Ashley Barnes is quality. We'd be lucky to bring him in for next season.

He doesn’t score very many. Define quality 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Currently, none are good enough for the Premiership. However that is not where we are and, without significant improvement to the starting eleven, are unlikely to be in the foreseeable future. 

That’s the sad reality that us fans are probably going to have to accept - this club’s yo yo years are over. It’s going to take a good couple of seasons from this point to mount a play off challenge - and that’s with the right recruitment. 

I hope to be proved wrong, but I don’t think we will be play off contenders next year - given we’ve finished 13th in a league that is going to be far tougher next year. 

52 minutes ago, Petriix said:

The use of the word 'ambition' here is missing the point: we can't spend money we don't have

It's not missing the point at all.

A trend for managing expectations has clearly been set not least by the fact we have been showing players around the Club who are going to cost us nothing.

We are shopping in the football equivalent of Poundland.

So they might be decent enough players to keep us in the Championship but that is just stagnation rather than progression.

That is not ambition, it is damage limitation.

As for spending money we don't have, we hardly went on a wild spending spree when we had some and what we did spend was mostly wasted on players who were/are not good enough and are now worth less than we paid for them.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

A trend for managing expectations has clearly been set not least by the fact we have been showing players around the Club who are going to cost us nothing.

That's because Barnes is a free agent and therefore free to engage in talks and consider options available to him, it'd be a bit ****ty to be showing contracted players round the club before the season ended wouldn't it. 

Think things through a little.