Terminally Yellow

The Officially Not Official Summer Transfer Thread 2023

On paper £5m for a 31 year old solid Championship player wouldn't be bad business. But hes our captain and selling to a team who should be a rival, with not long to source a replacement seems silly.

55 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Surely our board of directors, which Webber is not part of, would block any such sales from happening? Knowing that he's on his way out, I can't imagine they would allow him to sabotage our squad by selling our best players to his (potential) future employer.

Agree with this,  and surely any sale now to Leeds come with a double value premium, if for example we're saying £20 million for Sarge, then it's got to be 40millon to Leeds.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

On paper £5m for a 31 year old solid Championship player wouldn't be bad business. But hes our captain and selling to a team who should be a rival, with not long to source a replacement seems silly.

For less than £5 million you can get Brannigan from Oxford, utterly underrated and at 27 would fit the requirements! Captain there too! Replacement?

1 hour ago, Indy said:

If we’re reliant on McLean then I don’t rate our chances much! Again too much to hope that this loan player coming in will be taking McLeans place? Sara is a no way sale in my book far more important in midfield and one we need to make the playoffs! Nunez will come through this season, he’s got a good game in him, just needs a run!

My point exactly if we got offered £5 million for McLean brilliant take the money and move on! 

No because like the other recent sales we wouldn’t spend it. So it would just weaken us. 

12 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Agree with this,  and surely any sale now to Leeds come with a double value premium, if for example we're saying £20 million for Sarge, then it's got to be 40millon to Leeds.

There should be no sales to Leeds at all. None. 

13 minutes ago, Indy said:

For less than £5 million you can get Brannigan from Oxford, utterly underrated and at 27 would fit the requirements! Captain there too! Replacement?

Yep, that's what we need - a League One journeyman. Get real, this is nonsense.

• Haha 1

This team is, in my view, perhaps one more decent signing away from doing something very decent this season.

Any major sales now ought to be out of the question. Make it clear our players are not for sale and let’s get on with it. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Yep, that's what we need - a League One journeyman. Get real, this is nonsense.

Argh the attack to which you would be one to be positive to sign such a player! Had Norwich signed Brannagan you’d be the first to blow your trumpet and signal the fanfare!

1 hour ago, tricky974 said:

How about Alfredo Morelos as an option to increase firepower, he is on a free and has not has a club for 3 months.

Attitude and fitness issues so I doubt he'd fit in here plus he'd want to the No 1 striker. We'd also have competition in getting him as well so we probably couldn't afford him. Goal scoring wise I think he'd do alright.

10 minutes ago, Indy said:

Argh the attack to which you would be one to be positive to sign such a player! Had Norwich signed Brannagan you’d be the first to blow your trumpet and signal the fanfare!

I don't really understand this, as a sentence it makes no sense?? But, no, I think you must be confusing me with another poster. McLean is a key component in the current side and in how Wagner has spent all pre-season setting us up to play. He was also a key component in two Champs winning teams. No other player on the books offers what he does. Brannagan has not really achieved anything and is not a direct replacement. When McLean was injured last season our form fell off a cliff, I see no reason why it wouldn't be the same this season if we sold him.

3 minutes ago, BigFish said:

I don't really understand this, as a sentence it makes no sense?? But, no, I think you must be confusing me with another poster. McLean is a key component in the current side and in how Wagner has spent all pre-season setting us up to play. He was also a key component in two Champs winning teams. No other player on the books offers what he does. Brannagan has not really achieved anything and is not a direct replacement. When McLean was injured last season our form fell off a cliff, I see no reason why it wouldn't be the same this season if we sold him.

There were a lot more factors in our loss of form than McLean getting injured.   A lot!    McLean hasn’t ever been the part that keeps this team together.    He’s a championship midfielder.   Let’s not go overboard.  

He wasn’t key in the first promotion at all and the second one was fundamentally his midfield partner who was key along with Buendia and to an extent Pukki.    

7 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

He’s a championship midfielder.

Yep, and he is good at it. In case you haven't noticed that is the division we are in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ged in the onion bag said:

There were a lot more factors in our loss of form than McLean getting injured.   A lot!    McLean hasn’t ever been the part that keeps this team together.    He’s a championship midfielder.   Let’s not go overboard.  

He wasn’t key in the first promotion at all and the second one was fundamentally his midfield partner who was key along with Buendia and to an extent Pukki.    

Mr Farke would likely disagree given he was pretty much ever present when fit but I guess you have far more intimate knowledge of the squads dynamics during the promotion seasons than he did right?

Edited by Attleborough_Canary

This is all bull anyway there’s no way McLean will get a bid of £5 million, Brannagan is the best midfielder in league 1 and has had several championship clubs make offers including Burnley! 
Oxford would never swap McLean for Brannagan……

40 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Yep, and he is good at it. In case you haven't noticed that is the division we are in.

Yep, he’s OK at it, but if we don’t improve on players like Kenny then for sure fans should get used to the Championship…… which may not be a bad thing!    But the fact remains, your argument in your previous post was flawed since he wasn’t a ‘key component’ was he.   

4 hours ago, Attleborough_Canary said:

Mr Farke would likely disagree given he was pretty much ever present when fit but I guess you have far more intimate knowledge of the squads dynamics during the promotion seasons than he did right?

Wrong!

He was involved in 20 of the 46 games.   That’s not ‘a key component’!   It doesn’t need Farke’s opinion when facts speak for themselves!   

Edited by ged in the onion bag

6 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Wrong!

He was involved in 20 of the 46 games.   That’s not ‘a key component’!   It doesn’t need Farke’s opinion when facts speak for themselves!   

18/19 - he got an ankle injury which kept him out until mid Feb. He then started and played the full 90 in every game bar the last

20/21 - he played 38 games in the league.

Conclusion: you're talking nonsense

Edited by kirku
  • Like 6

28 minutes ago, Soldier on said:

Remember him scoring two in one match shortly after his debut which got us a vital win at the time

In that 3-2 vs Bristol city?

16 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

No because like the other recent sales we wouldn’t spend it. So it would just weaken us. 

Unlike other recent sales McLean has been identified as having a key role for the team this year. Therefore, it is less likely that we will sell him but if we did, more likely that we would seek a replacement, just as we quickly sourced a back up keeper when Krul was sold.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

In that 3-2 vs Bristol city?

My first game. 

When my father told me that we had sold Curran I didn't understand. Even I could see he was our best player...... 

15 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Yep, he’s OK at it, but if we don’t improve on players like Kenny then for sure fans should get used to the Championship…… which may not be a bad thing!    But the fact remains, your argument in your previous post was flawed since he wasn’t a ‘key component’ was he.   

15 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Wrong!

8 hours ago, kirku said:

18/19 - he got an ankle injury which kept him out until mid Feb. He then started and played the full 90 in every game bar the last

20/21 - he played 38 games in the league.

Conclusion: you're talking nonsense

4 hours ago, Badger said:

Unlike other recent sales McLean has been identified as having a key role for the team this year. Therefore, it is less likely that we will sell him but if we did, more likely that we would seek a replacement, just as we quickly sourced a back up keeper when Krul was sold.

Yes, whenever he has been fit since he has joined McLean has played. Whenever he hasn't been fit the team has been less effective. Pretty much the definition of key component. If it had been easy to upgrade or replace on what he brings to the team the club would have done it by now. Far from a flawed argument, more QED.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Yes, whenever he has been fit since he has joined McLean has played. Whenever he hasn't been fit the team has been less effective. Pretty much the definition of key component. If it had been easy to upgrade or replace on what he brings to the team the club would have done it by now. Far from a flawed argument, more QED.

I did the calculations for this a few months ago; our points per game has been higher with McLean in the team in four of the five seasons that he has been here. I think the exception was 21/22 when our PPG was 0.01 higher without him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I keep seeing the Finnish striker Joel Pohjanpalo being linked (although it's mostly on the usual clickbait websites). I think even the commentators on Sunday mentioned him as an interest. He has a decent goal scoring record at pretty much every club he's been at, currently playing in serie B with venezia and scored 19 goals for them last season. Transfermarkt currently value him at £3.5 million. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mason Holgate at Everton is a possibility according to The Football World website.Centre back who isn't getting much of  a look in on Merseyside possible loan perhaps?    Just a thought 

Any Everton player should be approached with caution, complete basket case of a club with players confidence ground down to a bare minimum 

• Like 1