Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Replacement for Webber

31 minutes ago, thegali said:

It's easy to see if something isn't working, but harder to fix it.

I don't agree with your proxy comment, you are implying fans should never critise players because we haven't coached elite level football.

Well yes, there is an inherent hypocrisy at work whenever fans talk about football. Ultimately the majority of us don't have any sort of legitimate experience.

But, if the answer offered to 'if you want him to go, who should replace him?' is well as a humble everyman I couldn't possibly comment as I don't have the knowledge then it's fair game to apply the same logic the other way around.

Personally speaking it is logic that I do believe in. If you take emotion out of the situation, how likely is it that there is a veritable queue of sporting directors champing at the bit to take over at Norwich? Would they be better? Could they be worse? How likely is it that we signed a bunch of **** on purpose to **** the fans off? 

I think Webber takes this summer as his last stand to leave a positive legacy. If we start next season badly he'll step down fairly quickly.

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

The natural heir apparent unfortunately is Neil Adams.

It would be hard to see that as a good look.

I would be more afraid that you are right than that you are wrong though. 

Parma 

2 hours ago, CANARYKING said:
2 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

You all want him out, care to name a replacement 

John Bowman. Knows the club inside out. Plenty of experience. 

13 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

The fans who said anyone could do better than Smith and were wrong now say anyone can do better than Webber.

This next chapter should be fun.

Oh do shut up. 

• Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

The fans who said anyone could do better than Smith and were wrong now say anyone can do better than Webber.

This next chapter should be fun.

Doesn't mean sacking Smith was wrong. Just the new guy may not be the answer. Webber recruited Wagner so you're really saying he got in wrong. 

4 minutes ago, Unthink road said:

Doesn't mean sacking Smith was wrong. Just the new guy may not be the answer. Webber recruited Wagner so you're really saying he got in wrong. 

We're finishing the season without promotion and wasting millions on compensation. Everyone will want Wagner gone now as well.

It was wrong. No ifs, no buts. The fans who wanted him gone were wrong.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Oh do shut up. 

Nope. You were wrong. You got your way and it was a waste of money. You're an idiot.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

2 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Nope. You were wrong. You got your way and it was a waste of money. You're an idiot.

??? How did that have any relation to me telling you to shut up 

3 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

We're finishing the season without promotion and wasting millions on compensation. Everyone will want Wagner gone now as well.

It was wrong. No ifs, no buts. The fans who wanted him gone were wrong.

It’s a sad state of affairs. Unfortunately Smith did nothing in his time here to suggest we were ready for top flight football. I've heard he's well respected in the game and maybe he wasn't allowed to set his teams up how he would like. If this was the case why? Been told to play a certain formation or given poor players all from above. But wanting Smith out was due to the fact the football was dour and wasn't producing the required points tally at the time. The fans weren't wrong, Webber was for bad recruitment or poor choice of replacement. 

1 hour ago, Mason 47 said:

Well yes, there is an inherent hypocrisy at work whenever fans talk about football. Ultimately the majority of us don't have any sort of legitimate experience.

But, if the answer offered to 'if you want him to go, who should replace him?' is well as a humble everyman I couldn't possibly comment as I don't have the knowledge then it's fair game to apply the same logic the other way around.

Personally speaking it is logic that I do believe in. If you take emotion out of the situation, how likely is it that there is a veritable queue of sporting directors champing at the bit to take over at Norwich? Would they be better? Could they be worse? How likely is it that we signed a bunch of **** on purpose to **** the fans off? 

I think Webber takes this summer as his last stand to leave a positive legacy. If we start next season badly he'll step down fairly quickly.

So are you are suggesting the fans shouldn't criticise Webber?

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Nope. You were wrong. You got your way and it was a waste of 

Smith - crap

Wagner - just as crap

Webber - crappest

Nobody was wrong for wanting a change. Stop banging your drum of ****.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Captain Holt said:

Smith - crap

Wagner - just as crap

Webber - crappest

Nobody was wrong for wanting a change. Stop banging your drum of ****.

Sacking Smith cost the club millions of quid needlessly to go backwards. To have pushed an opinion so forcefully and then deny the outcomes is just feckless.

13 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

You all want him out, care to name a replacement 

Sir Edmund Hillary?.....With Sherpa Tensing Norgay replacing Zoe....

Well we do have a mountain to climb.....

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Sacking Smith cost the club millions of quid needlessly to go backwards. To have pushed an opinion so forcefully and then deny the outcomes is just feckless.

Yes if only we'd kept him we might have finished 8th instead of 10th. Heady heady heights.

• Like 1

Finding a replacement for Webber will not be easy at all, especially if we continue with the current model we have. Webber wields more power on the football than just about any other sporting director in the country. I think it's important to have a central figure but I imagine in the short term responsibilities will be divided up. 

It should be a pretty attractive job to the right candidate for a lot of the reasons Webber has gone over before. The lack of interference from owners or a chairman would be attractive to someone who is looking to build a project here, we pay reasonably well, we have given our current SD plenty of chances to make mistakes and haven't sacked him yet and there is now a decent infrastructure in place in terms of the facilities and staff roles so off the pitch matters wouldn't have to eat into the budget he'd have to work with. 

There's a debate to be had over whether it's a good idea to give a SD carte blanch to do whatever they want with little governance or accountability but that will be attractive to a lot of people. Maybe there's a good sporting director out there who has worked at big clubs but has grown tired of the restrictions they often have placed upon them, having to share so much responsibility and be answerable to so many people and would be willing to go to a smaller club if it meant they would have more scope and freedom to run the club as they see fit. I don't have any names, but I'd hope we can go for someone proven with experience, I'm not really comfortable with someone like Adams being given the role especially at a time like now when there's quite a lot of turmoil on and off the field and the squad needs an extensive rebuild. If you're going to promote someone like Adams do it when we're on an upward curve and after someone who has done well has left, not when you have to sack the current SD for leaving us in a mess, I think it's too big of a job right now for someone with little experience. 

Norwich is a bit like Tottenham in regard to how it has been managed last few years. Beloved manager sacked (Poch/Farke), shiny new facilities (as a cover for under-investment on the 2019 promotion for Norwich, and the aftermath of the CL final for Spurs), a woefully disjointed recruitment policy with lots of money spent on players way below the standard, a merry go round of coaches with no coherent long term vision, a sporting director that has so much power that they (Webber/Paratici) become a hindrance at best and parasitic at worst, and a board that is either absent, or stifles the club's development.

we will need an oil-tanker sized skip for the clearout, ASAP.

6 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Webber has cost us needless millions in recruitment failures. Do you keep giving him money to waste?

Even the most diehard now admit Smith had to go but apparently everone else apart from you is wrong.

Past achievements count for nothing in football and rightly so. When your candle burns down, you either get another one or remain in the dark.

Don’t need a director of football you are then buying players the manager don’t want. Did Ron Saunders have one No and he done ok

19 hours ago, Coneys Knee said:

I hate it when people say things like this. That’s not what we’re paid for. How could the humble fan possibly have any knowledge of potential sporting director candidates. Wanting a change doesn’t mean you have to have the answers you know?

Yep, it's the lamest argument out there. 

Even stupider when it gets trotted out for new owners. Yeah mate, of course I'll check my rolodex of multi millionaires looking to buy a football club, that's publicly available info...

19 hours ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Vegetable oil cancer link leads scientists to recommend lard and butter as  healthier alternatives - Mirror Online

OTBC

90% of the lard. 10% doesn’t want to be here. Albeit the Leeds supporting lump of lard supports Norwich more than the Norwich supporters. Fact.

8 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Yes the managers sacked haven’t been the issue, now that’s clear probably time something was done about the actual root cause.

2 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Yes the managers sacked haven’t been the issue, now that’s clear probably time something was done about the actual root cause.

Perfect answer, tweet , tweet says the little yellow canary. 💛 💯💥