CDMullins

Realistically, what do we need...

To make the playoffs?

We certainly can't do it without a win tomorrow and a win against Blackpool, but I think 4 points from Swansea/WBA may just be enough.

Considering Blackburn have two games in hand over Millwall with just a two point deficit, you'd think they would be in a strong position but all 5 of their remaining games are against teams hunting for the playoffs, for the auto spot or their fierce and league winner rivals Burnley.

Although Millwall currently sit highest, it's no longer in their own hands, though they do have Wigan and Blackpool to play who for sure will be relegated in the next week or so, with what may turn out to be a 6th place decider against Blackburn on the last day. 

WBA have gone under the radar, in fact it shows how poor the division has been to see them sat in 6th, their recent form isn't great either. They have 4 tough games, Sunderland away, Sheff Utd, Us and Swansea.

Sunderland are down to just three games remaining, WBA, Watford and Preston, they surely have to win all them.

Coventry go to Blackburn tomorrow, then have Reading, Birmingham and a Midd'boro who are playoff assured and likely to be prepping for their semi final.

Preston have a tricky 4 games, Swansea Blackburn, Sheff Utd and that final game against Sunderland

We're going to need a little luck, but with so many of these teams cutting each others throats, we might have a real chance, if we can beat QPR and Swansea and go into the WBA game in a position where a point would mean that beating Blackpool confirmed a playoff place id be chuffed.

My heart says we'll knick 6th.

Edited by CDMullins
  • Like 2

You’re dreaming, pal. 
We’re incapable of scoring enough goals or keeping clean sheets. We won’t win the remaining games. You’ll see that tonight. Any lingering hope ended by us failing to beat Rotherham. 

• Like 1

A CDM, two Strikers, two CBs, two wingers, a CM, maybe a couple of full-backs, possibly a new keeper too.

Also, new owners, a new DOF, possibly a new manager and get the pitch relaid.

Oh, THIS year?

Yeah, no chance.

• Thanks 1

The fixture list, both ours and the other teams, are strongly in our favour. Despite everything, we have a very good chance of reaching the playoffs.

The only thing standing in our way is how completely useless we are. 

• Haha 1

Amazing how anyone who looks at the situation realistically is met with almost blanket negativity. I'll go along with the consensus that we have been poor most of the season, with the occasional good result/performance, but not to the extent that I'll assume we can't get a few points over the next four games and that others around us will inevitably drop points as they play each other.

The future isn't written. Football is uncertain, after all,  each game starts 0-0 and any result is possible, we have good players, Wagner is capable of motivating players.

If somehow we manage to win tonight, success is still possible. 

4 hours ago, CDMullins said:

To make the playoffs?

We certainly can't do it without a win tomorrow and a win against Blackpool, but I think 4 points from Swansea/WBA may just be enough.

Considering Blackburn have two games in hand over Millwall with just a two point deficit, you'd think they would be in a strong position but all 5 of their remaining games are against teams hunting for the playoffs, for the auto spot or their fierce and league winner rivals Burnley.

Although Millwall currently sit highest, it's no longer in their own hands, though they do have Wigan and Blackpool to play who for sure will be relegated in the next week or so, with what may turn out to be a 6th place decider against Blackburn on the last day. 

WBA have gone under the radar, in fact it shows how poor the division has been to see them sat in 6th, their recent form isn't great either. They have 4 tough games, Sunderland away, Sheff Utd, Us and Swansea.

Sunderland are down to just three games remaining, WBA, Watford and Preston, they surely have to win all them.

Coventry go to Blackburn tomorrow, then have Reading, Birmingham and a Midd'boro who are playoff assured and likely to be prepping for their semi final.

Preston have a tricky 4 games, Swansea Blackburn, Sheff Utd and that final game against Sunderland

We're going to need a little luck, but with so many of these teams cutting each others throats, we might have a real chance, if we can beat QPR and Swansea and go into the WBA game in a position where a point would mean that beating Blackpool confirmed a playoff place id be chuffed.

No we need 4 wins in my view. 

too many other teams in the mix to get there with less. 

Doesn't matter what the other teams do if we can't win our matches.

The key match tonight  is Blackburn v Coventry. If Coventry happen to win that they then have what appear to be two easy home games against Reading and Birmingham. A draw please.

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

Doesn't matter what the other teams do if we can't win our matches.

The key match tonight  is Blackburn v Coventry. If Coventry happen to win that they then have what appear to be two easy home games against Reading and Birmingham. A draw please.

Coventry would be comfortably top 6 already with no pitch issues at the start of the season. Mark Robins is really impressive on such a tight budget (wage bill last season £11m)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Amazing how anyone who looks at the situation realistically is met with almost blanket negativity.

The words Lakey and realism are not even in the same dictionary.

51 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:
1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Amazing how anyone who looks at the situation realistically is met with almost blanket negativity.

The words Lakey and realism are not even in the same dictionary.

Yeah, whatever, but I was referring to the op.  A realistic approach wouldn't you say, but met with cynicism and negativity.

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Amazing how anyone who looks at the situation realistically is met with almost blanket negativity. I'll go along with the consensus that we have been poor most of the season, with the occasional good result/performance, but not to the extent that I'll assume we can't get a few points over the next four games and that others around us will inevitably drop points as they play each other.

The future isn't written. Football is uncertain, after all,  each game starts 0-0 and any result is possible, we have good players, Wagner is capable of motivating players.

If somehow we manage to win tonight, success is still possible. 

I'm *gulp* fully in agreement with Lakey here.

I'm not a happy clapper by any stretch of the imagination, I consider myself a proper realist but I can't believe the negativity across the board.

It's far from over, in fact the only people who can stop us, is ourselves.

I hope the boys who have made it to Loftus Rd get behind the boys and make it happen 

Edited by CDMullins
  • Like 1

I'm going to be brutally honest here, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that feels this way.

I don't want this team anywhere near the playoffs.

It would be so undeserving if we somehow were to go up this year. There's teams that are far more deserving than us.

If we were to get into them, there's a pretty decent chance of getting embarrassed in the semis, or heaven forbid, the final.

Or, if we were to actually do it, does anyone really want to go through another season of abject failure in the Premier League?

We've been an absolute laughing stock the last two times we were up there, and I'd be fairly confident it would be exactly the same this time.

Now the argument that constantly gets thrown back is that we'd be able to spend more and be more stable and so on, but do you really trust our frankly incompetent set-up with more money again?

The problem would be if we went up is that things are still all fine and dandy at the club, and we're still a 'top 26' club with no need to rock the boat with any real change. Where in fact, we do need some real change. From the top down. I don't think another promotion is going to set that in motion.

I would be perfectly happy with another season or two in the Championship and build ourselves back up to where we want to be.

Start looking at the lower leagues for players again. Young, hungry players that we could mould into a decent squad as opposed to useless overpaid mercenaries.

We've done it before and we can do it again.

Just not yet.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are double standards going on here. Apparently it's OK for us as fans to give up, to say we don't want to make the play-offs, we don't want to be humiliated etc etc. But when we think the players are giving up and don't want to make the play-offs or get humiliated, we get on our high horse and accuse them of being fainthearts. Isn't this kind of hypocritical?

What do we need - Is new hungry quality players - willing to run their socks off for city

Just the latest test to crash the play offs.  Even if the improbable becomes a reality not many will not be interested and other contenders are better placed to prevail.

10 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Webber gone, that's what we need.

So that will make a difference in the next few games

2 minutes ago, daly said:

So that will make a difference in the next few games

I thought we were talking about the big picture moving forward not just the next few games.

The way it’s all shaking up, we need to do something Wagner’s yet to achieve: a 4 game winning streak. And with a heavily depleted squad.

If that’s enough to make the play-offs (which it could be) then great, we’d be carrying rare momentum into a two-legged do or die. As we know from the previous play-off we participated in, league form across the season can go out of the window then. (Remember, Boro did the double over us that season)

Not being hopeful that this will actually happen doesn’t make me ‘negative’, Lakey - it’s being objective and realistic based on all the evidence presented. 

It’s got ‘Adam Idah winning penalty at Wembley’ written all over it. 

Edited by mrdi

Folks sorry and all that but teams that are 11th with 4 games to go don't get in the playoffs . Villa may have been the exception but even by then I expect they were higher. 

We ain't catching the top four, I doubt we are catching Millwall . That leave us chasing 6th along with West Brom, Blackburn, Sunderland, Coventry and Preston. 

All of those teams have to lose games, (Preston and Sunderland are unbeaten in 5 , West Brow have only lost once in 5  )  we have to win all four  having won one game in 5! 

What we need is a time machine and better recruitment.   

16 hours ago, CDMullins said:

To make the playoffs?

Woken from your dream yet?

12 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

The fixture list, both ours and the other teams, are strongly in our favour. Despite everything, we have a very good chance of reaching the playoffs.

The only thing standing in our way is how completely useless we are. 

Stand by this.

• Haha 1

To answer the OP, realistically what we need to make the playoffs is a goalkeeper, four defenders, three midfielders, and three forwards, at least two of which know the difference between a barn door and a goalmouth.

Unfortunately we don't have any of those right now.

OP 30 new players, new coach, new DOF, new owners and new supporters 🙂