PockthorpePete

It's in our hands now

The three clubs directly above us have a nominal points maximum of 77 points each

However, and a big however, each of the three have to play the other two, meaning only one club can reach 77, with another reaching 74 and the third 71 - or 72 each for the other two should they draw.

That means either 10 or 11 points needed from our final 5 games, which I am sure will set off howls of anguish among some in here.

To clarify. It does not mean we will. But it does mean we can..........without needing any favours from anyone else. We can even lose against Boro and still make the playoffs - should either Preston or Blackburn finish 6th (superior goal difference for us)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely love your optimism. What's the point of anything else at this stage of the season? I couldn't get to Wembley in 2015, so a play-off final appearance there would be a long-held dream of mine realised, to see City play at Wembley. My head says we won't quite make it. But maybe. Just maybe. OTBC.

• Like 1

It will be close I suspect - but chances of winning two leg semi and a final close to nil. And I really do shudder at thought of going up with our current budget and squad 

• Like 1

Thanks packhorse for your measured analysis and optimism.

It is indeed in our hands and there is no reason why it should not happen.

Just to correct the usual negative comment from dbc. The chances would be close to 25% which is infinitely greater than zero and also mathematically correct.

All the best

Carol Vordeman.

4 minutes ago, Besthorpe-48 said:

Thanks packhorse for your measured analysis and optimism.

It is indeed in our hands and there is no reason why it should not happen.

Just to correct the usual negative comment from dbc. The chances would be close to 25% which is infinitely greater than zero and also mathematically correct.

All the best

Carol Vordeman.

The promotion chance is around 15 per cent at present, seems about right. 

1 hour ago, PockthorpePete said:

The three clubs directly above us have a nominal points maximum of 77 points each

However, and a big however, each of the three have to play the other two, meaning only one club can reach 77, with another reaching 74 and the third 71 - or 72 each for the other two should they draw.

That means either 10 or 11 points needed from our final 5 games, which I am sure will set off howls of anguish among some in here.

To clarify. It does not mean we will. But it does mean we can..........without needing any favours from anyone else. We can even lose against Boro and still make the playoffs - should either Preston or Blackburn finish 6th (superior goal difference for us)

I like your positivity, but it'll never catch on around here...

• Like 1

I’m all for positivity, but no home goals in nearly 5 hours of play tells us something.  Pukki hasn’t scored in 11, and not at home since September and he’s meant to be our main threat. I hope I’m talking up a huge return to form, but it’s more hope than expectation.

Like others have said, I'm really not sure it would be a good thing to make the playoffs, really can't see us beating the other sides over 3 games, and promotion to the EPL is a scary thought based on our squad.

The point of the OP is not whether we can, but that things have shifted to mean it's now in our hands. A few weeks back we looked out of it, four points adrift of 6th. And given the current injury list it is all the more remarkable that we are where we are now. No optimism there either. It is how it is.

Unlike other seasons we are not favourites. We are in some way the underdog. However, I suspect many are suffering from a sense of entitlement, whereby anything outside the title or second is seen as a failure. whereas this is our '59 cup run.  To make the play offs, then Wembley and finally the PL. Sure, we could fall at any stage, but maybe some need to get that feeling that kept the flame burning in 'days of yore'. As long as it is possible..... then it is possible.

We are not a big club, nor a wealthy one. I suspect our recent success has given some delusions of grandeur. It's beneath us to be scrapping over 6th place. Me, I shall enjoy each game and not whine if it all ends well short. To me what happens from here is a bonus. We've been knocked down, but we are up again...........................we know a song about that ☺️

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LODkVkpaVQA

We could go right through the play-offs and final ending every game 0-0 but going through on penalties.

The main advantage is that 2 out of 3 matches wouldn't be at Carrow Rd.

I might book a train ticket tomorrow, just in case.

1 minute ago, Satriales said:

Like others have said, I'm really not sure it would be a good thing to make the playoffs, really can't see us beating the other sides over 3 games, and promotion to the EPL is a scary thought based on our squad.

I don't understand the negativity. Luton are solid, but nothing special. Boro are good going forward but concede quite a few. Millwall, Preston, Blackburn, Coventry are average and we've beaten three of them over two league games this season (2-0, 3-2), (2-3, 4-0), (3-0, 4-2) and matched Blackburn (0-2, 2-0).

I understand, though, the negativity about getting there after the stalemate on Monday. Those two points dropped could make all the difference by the end of the normal season.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I’m all for positivity, but no home goals in nearly 5 hours of play tells us something.

That the law of averages dictates that we're going on a scoring spree from now until end of season?

Edited by Google Bot
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I like your positivity, but it'll never catch on around here...

Whatever negativity is on here they still have to face the uncomfortable fact that it is in our hands now. Nothing I or they say can change that. So it is a case of how you see it. To me, great. I wasn't expecting that so I'll enjoy it while it lasts. Rather like being told at closing time, the pub is going to stay open for another hour

"ooh no, I'll have to spend some more money, what happens if they add another hour after that one,  this means an hour less sleep...... whine, moan"  -  so it's on to Riverside with Robinson Crusoe's favourite song

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

That the law of averages dictates that we're going on a scoring spree from now until end of season?

We can but hope. 

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

We can but hope. 

Chin up fella, it's written in the stars. 

When Wagner got Huddersfield promoted he picked up a point in the final 4 games AND scored 2 goals.  :classic_biggrin:

image.png.60e5cd208a4c03a349a32718233a9f53.png

14 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Chin up fella, it's written in the stars. 

When Wagner got Huddersfield promoted he picked up a point in the final 4 games AND scored 2 goals.  :classic_biggrin:

image.png.60e5cd208a4c03a349a32718233a9f53.png

The semi final v Sheff Wed and the final v Reading saw them fail to win any of the three games in normal time.

I'm in the pub and haven't thought this all the way through, so apologies if I am wrong, but Blackburn have a game in hand and therefore can reach 77 points whilst losing to either of Millwall or Preston....who could then also win the rest of their games and also reach 77 points 

So it isn't in our hands 😔

Yes, but if they lost to Millwall, they would need to beat Preston in order to get to 77, which would mean that Preston could only get to 74. And vice versa. (I think!).

Last season Forest went up via the play offs and with a competent manager spent £200m. It looks like they're coming straight back. Whoever goes up from the play offs this season will almost certainly come straight back, as will Sheffield United assuming they come second. 

I don't think our current team is as good as Forest last year and I dread the thought of this team going up. I'd like to see us get to Wembley, lose and pocket the money. 

Having recently seen the quality of the teams around us I can't see any reason why we can't reach the top 6. They're certainly no better than us. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

26 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Yes, but if they lost to Millwall, they would need to beat Preston in order to get to 77, which would mean that Preston could only get to 74. And vice versa. (I think!).

But we need to overtake 2 of the 3 teams ahead of us, not just 1.

So I think it's only in our own hands to reach 7th

Of the 4 teams we're directly competing against...millwall blackburn preston coventry, we've beaten all of them away and done the double over two of them.

Even if our home form was just 'ok' this season as opposed to sh!t ,a top 6 place wouldnt even be in question

Failure to secure a playoff place in this dreadful standard of league should result in some heads rolling

42 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Last season Forest went up via the play offs and with a competent manager spent £200m. It looks like they're coming straight back. Whoever goes up from the play offs this season will almost certainly come straight back, as will Sheffield United assuming they come second. 

I don't think our current team is as good as Forest last year and I dread the thought of this team going up. I'd like to see us get to Wembley, lose and pocket the money. 

Having recently seen the quality of the teams around us I can't see any reason why we can't reach the top 6. They're certainly no better than us. 

So, presumably the fans of those clubs "dread" going up as well and also want their team to lose in the play-offs.

Following this logic, there will be four teams in the play-offs, with not one of them wishing to win them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

So, presumably the fans of those clubs "dread" going up as well and also want their team to lose in the play-offs.

Following this logic, there will be four teams in the play-offs, with not one of them wishing to win them.

Oh dear! 😉 

• Confused 2

47 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

But we need to overtake 2 of the 3 teams ahead of us, not just 1.

So I think it's only in our own hands to reach 7th

Yes, I think you're right. Millwall could beat Blackburn and Preston and all their other games (77 points) (or Preston could win all their games). Blackburn could lose to Millwall/Preston, but win all their other games (77 points). Is that right this time?

This club needs a rebuild

I don’t care what league we are in but there’s foundational stuff that needs to be addressed and that’s not going anywhere.

I think the mounting injuries are going to be a significant factor. We are running out of options in Midfield and at CB.

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I’d prefer to see us win at Wembley and if we come straight back down at least we’d pocket a *lot* more money. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1