Pukki.  A club legend and it's been a joy to watch him play for us.  Realistically, he's out of contract in the summer and unless we get promoted and decide to make it worth his while to stay and he decides he fancies another go at the Prem rather than maybe moving to a league that's physically easier, he won't be with us next season.  Are we now at the point where he should be mainly brought on as a sub ?

Sergeant - should be our first choice starter now when fit IMO.

Idah - needs game time.  Has shown some really good touches e.g. the carefully weighted header to setup Mclean was just superb.  Needs a goal or two to get his confidence.  It's worth noting his 5-year contract was offered after Wagner arrived, if we find that surprising, is it something we're failing to see ?  Should he be the first choice starter when Sergeant is unavailable ?

Pukki/Idah/Sargent all on an equal footing imo - play any one of them or any combination of them.  Pukki still the main man in some respects, but as he nears the end of his contract and unless he signs a new one, then more reason to pick the others, but really any of them can do a good job imo.

• Like 1

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Idah on the bench as one for the future, later loaned out next season as a regular starter to a promotion chasing top league one side Pukki and Sargent in rotation end of this season.

But that leaves us with one striker for next season doesn't it ?

• Haha 1

I'd say we should go for a bit of debt to bring in a striker with a decent scoring record. Very least a one in 3 return rate.

3 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

But that leaves us with one striker for next season doesn't it ?

Implying that Abu Kamara isn't ready for the step up and to become our new youth academy wonder kid 😉

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Implying that Abu Kamara isn't ready for the step up and to become our new youth academy wonder kid 😉

I guess that's the question, do we need to loan out Idah next season and expect Kamara to be playing regularly instead ?

10 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Idah on the bench as one for the future, later loaned out next season as a regular starter to a promotion chasing top league one side Pukki and Sargent in rotation end of this season.

Idah is now, not the future. He's put in solid effective performances in matches we have won - and we know he can score goals, that isn't really the issue and he will score plenty once he gets going - he is ready, he is being used, he is the now.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Idah is now, not the future. He's put in solid effective performances in matches we have won - and we know he can score goals, that isn't really the issue and he will score plenty once he gets going - he is ready, he is being used, he is the now.

i think he could be the future like you say lakey 

we do not know that yet ,looks like the midfield have a few goals in them now

The only way we will know for sure is play the boy up front

idah is the sort of player who will either get 2 goals or 15 goals he has not started enough for us to know what the future holds 

• Like 1

There's never going to be a better time than right now for us to give Idah a run of games to find out what he's got:

• Pukki out at the end of the season
  • Sargent injured
  • Midfield has plenty of goals in it

It's time to give him the opportunity and let him either seize it, or prove that he needs a loan as "main man".

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

and we know he can score goals,

Do we though! 

Not doubting he has made a contribution to our recent wins BUT I see nothing in those or his previous performances for us or Ireland that he can score on a regular basis.

20 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Pukki/Idah/Sargent all on an equal footing imo - play any one of them or any combination of them.  Pukki still the main man in some respects, but as he nears the end of his contract and unless he signs a new one, then more reason to pick the others, but really any of them can do a good job imo.

I dont think they're on an equal footing at all. Idah is some way behind Pukki and then Sargent in my view. Its good to have as many options fit and firing at this time of the season.

Edited by jaberry2

It depends how serious we are about wanting to go up. Pukki is clearly the best of them. Even when he doesn’t score he adds to the game, tracks back and creates chances for the others. If we are serious about a play off push he has to start when fit. Sarge has made good progress this season and deserves a place. I would say Idah is still very much 3rd choice. He may be one for the future but in my option is not an obvious starter at the moment, barring injuries.

Idah's got plenty of value with his size, pace and power. He's not quite got Sargent's work rate, but he's probably better at winning flick-ons to speed attacks up if someone's running off him to pick them up. He and Sargent together is a decent combo for keeping the ball up so an attacking midfielder or two can get forward.

That's where Dowell, Nunez, and Sara should be licking their lips. All three are capable at hitting them from the edge of the box or thereabouts. Sara's got a couple recently from there against Hull and last time out against Cardiff.

Currently I consider Idah to be well behind both Pukki & Sargent. Yes he has potential - however my gut feeling is he lacks the killer instinct to 'just do it' on a regularly-repeated basis. Good hold-up man, but lacks conviction. Too tentative to be a winner. Suspect Kamara may take his chance when it arrives though!

I used to think Sargent was little more than a League 1 utility man until he got to play through the middle - an opinion I may never have formed had he been given the central striking opportunities Idah is currently enjoying (but not taking).

If/when Pukki leaves, Norwich will need to recruit a top new striker, retain Sarge & use Kamara as intermittent 3rd back-up. Idah needs a full season loan just like Maddison & Cantwell did.

• Like 1

Pukki is head and shoulders above any other player at the club. While we're still chasing a playoff place and the faintest hope of promotion, while fit, Pukki is absolutely first choice. Nunez is far more effective at number 10 than Sargent and Idah is definitely below both in the pecking order so Sarge and Idah on the bench as neither make our best 11.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Petriix said:

Pukki is head and shoulders above any other player at the club. While we're still chasing a playoff place and the faintest hope of promotion, while fit, Pukki is absolutely first choice. Nunez is far more effective at number 10 than Sargent and Idah is definitely below both in the pecking order so Sarge and Idah on the bench as neither make our best 11.

is the correct answer

If we drop out of the play-off reckoning then we can think about next season. But if he's fully fit, Pukki is obviously first-choice. Still baffles me that a guy who's not far away from 100 goals in four seasons (including two in the PL) remains underrated by so many.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Indeed. Pukki's speed of thought remains our biggest and most reliable threat.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Indeed, and it is a squad game these days so both would get more than enough minutes.

Well it's nice to have competition in those positions, rather than just Pukki and no one.

If fit Pukki will probably start against Millwall, with Sargent on the bench.

With regards to next season, with Pukki gone, I can't see Idah going anywhere tbh.

This is all under the assumption that the striker is played up front almost every game in a season and the team is playing to their strengths. 

Pukki will get 20-30 in the Championship and around 10 in the PL. Pukki's movement is too much for Championship defenders but PL defenders can out-pace him to make up for it. He's still clever and hard working enough to get a decent haul though

Sargent will get 20 ish in the Championship and about 5 in the PL. With the half a yard extra space in the Championship Sargent looks unplayable at his best but he doesn't get the time to sort his feet out in the PL so never gets any clear cut chances and his finishing from range is quite poor

Idah from what I saw last year looks like the type of player who could get 10 in the Championship and 10 in the PL. His physicality is really useful at the top level where defenders tend to be quicker and more athletic than slow and strong like in the Championship. He's suited to leading the line for a team playing on the counter or long balls and with space to run into and defenders to bully he'll get chances and his finishing is good enough to get goals. At this level he looks a bit lost trying to find chances while we play through teams and he always has a low block to contend with. I think if you stick him up front for West Ham or Palace and he gets goals, if he's upfront in a possession based team trying to break teams down he's going to find it harder to find chances. 9/10 he buries that chance that he missed on Saturday, it's a lack of confidence right now but that type of chance you see repeatedly every week on MOTD whereas it's much rarer in the Championship and it's what Idah would thrive on. 

It's not just the quality difference between the leagues the style of football is totally different and we're trying to do different things being either the worst or one of the best teams in the league. Next year if we're in the Championship and we manage to keep all 3 it's 1.Pukki 2.Sargent 3.Idah. If we somehow go up then it's Pukki and Idah on a level pegging and Sargent as backup. 

• Like 3

As things stand in my view Idah is not Championship quality. He doesn’t seem to be a natural scorer. 

Pukki is a legend agreed. He won’t be here unless we get promoted. Even then will he be too old for another demoralising stab at the PL.

Sargent is decent if he’s left to play up top on his own. 

2 hours ago, Unhinged Canary said:

Pukki.

Any striker from the youth team.

Sargent.

Anyone from the matchday crowd.

Idah.

I take it that’s tongue in cheek re Sargent? Played up top he scores goals, is young and will improve and be key to us going forward. 

Idah just needs a loan away at League 1 or abroad.

obviously Pukki is a legend, but looked I’ll at ease for a lot of this season, then again who didn’t under DS. 

31 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

As things stand in my view Idah is not Championship quality. He doesn’t seem to be a natural scorer. 

Pukki is a legend agreed. He won’t be here unless we get promoted. Even then will he be too old for another demoralising stab at the PL.

Sargent is decent if he’s left to play up top on his own. 

As I understand it Pukki has already been offered a contract (which he hasn't  signed) so it may not make any financial difference to him what league we're in. I think it will come down to if he gets better offers in terms of pay and a place to bring up his family.

All is not lost but...

Pukki by far our best striker as it stands. Circumstances dictate we need to look to bring Sarg and Idah on once/if the playoffs have gone.

8 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

As I understand it Pukki has already been offered a contract (which he hasn't  signed) so it may not make any financial difference to him what league we're in. I think it will come down to if he gets better offers in terms of pay and a place to bring up his family.

All is not lost but...

He’s been offered a contract, and I would bet it includes lower wages after the end of the parachute payments unless we get promoted and that’s very probably why he’s not signed.