lake district canary

Stop writing players off

Especially the younger ones.  It's easy to write them off and say they are going nowhere, but give them a chance!  Idah is the latest one who is getting flack...but why?  Every manager we have had recently has said what a talent he is and we know he can score goals given clear chances - and I don't include Saturday's miss as a clear chance - it would have been had he not been fouled as he was through, fouled, lost his balance slightly as a result and had to rush his shot. Should have been a penalty of course. He needs support, not negativity.

But we had it with the Murphy twins, Redmond, Cantwell, now Idah. Now I'm not saying don't crtiticise them - they are professional footballers after all - but don't dismiss them as being rubbish - that is just being negative for the sake of being negative.

They need our support - whether at the ground or on here or anywhere else. Support. Look it up in the dictionary.

Rant over.

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 13

It’s the way of things these days, with kneejerk reactions on social media. The problem is where criticism is just for the sake of it, as it all too often is. Players need to learn to live with it, I guess.

Spot on.

I had enough of the two "fans" who decided to get day passes on Saturday complaining about "E-Dahr" I ended up just asking them bluntly, so you would have scored they would you? 

Well said Lakey. I suspect it might help Adam if the drummer came up with something to go with his name. 

For what my opinion is worth, I think he's very close to being very good indeed, but he just lacks confidence. If he thought everyone was behind him it may just help. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

For what my opinion is worth, I think he's very close to being very good indeed, but he just lacks confidence. If he thought everyone was behind him it may just help. 

Same. He just needs a run of games and a goal to get some confidence. Look at what has happened to Carlton Morris since he's been at Luton. 

• Like 1

Part of why I defended Webber's transfer record recently vs the likes of McNally's at prem level is the fact that he generally signed younger players who could still yet adapt to English football.

Sara and Nunez are looking decent. Sara in particular has been a bit of a midfield revelation for us - scoring and assisting whilst adding a physical edge.

Even Tzolis, for some, could yet end up being a player for us.

Sargent has had a good season.

Of course, they didn't deliver at Prem level but unlike the Naismith signing we've still got an opportunity to develop them. 

• Like 1

Where does Rashica fit into this?  It's just that I really don't like his apparent attitude.

I'll support everyone else, but he winds me up.  Could've been great at this level and made significant different for things under Smith.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Especially the younger ones.  It's easy to write them off and say they are going nowhere, but give them a chance!  Idah is the latest one who is getting flack...but why?  Every manager we have had recently has said what a talent he is and we know he can score goals given clear chances - and I don't include Saturday's miss as a clear chance - it would have been had he not been fouled as he was through, fouled, lost his balance slightly as a result and had to rush his shot. Should have been a penalty of course. He needs support, not negativity.

But we had it with the Murphy twins, Redmond, Cantwell, now Idah. Now I'm not saying don't crtiticise them - they are professional footballers after all - but don't dismiss them as being rubbish - that is just being negative for the sake of being negative.

They need our support - whether at the ground or on here or anywhere else. Support. Look it up in the dictionary.

Rant over.

Snodgrass wants a word.

• Haha 2

You do have to take into account the moment itself. When Idah missed his sitter, surely the reaction was not "oh well give him a chance" but more "ballcocks".

1 minute ago, Bert said:

I agree with the OP but Idah is clearly a turkey 

I wish I was as talented as Idah, you must have been one hell of a player yourself - how many international caps did you get?

• Like 1

But we are Norwich fans, writing off managers and players super early is what we do! 😉

To be fair we Idah is still young and we have him for five years so regardless he has time to improve to say the least

27 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

You do have to take into account the moment itself. When Idah missed his sitter, surely the reaction was not "oh well give him a chance" but more "ballcocks".

It was really frustrating to watch, but it should be remembered that it will have been frustrating for him reinforced by some degree of embarrassment. The last thing anyone needs is people reinforcing their own sense of failure if you want to see the best out of them.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

2 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

It was really frustrating to watch, but it should be remembered that it will have been frustrating for him reinforced by some degree of embarrassment. The last thing anyone needs is people reinforcing their own sense of failure if you want to see the best out of them.

Is that why you  refuse to acknowledge the tripe that you post? 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

If the players had any sense, they wouldn't look on here. And I doubt there was any concerted shouting at him at the match. The excitement of seeing the build up would just end up as sighs as he missed.

Even the best of world clas players have missed far more straightforward chances than that. I said in another thread, with just a small slice of Lady Luck, Idah would’ve had 3-4 (or more) goals over these past three games (three games in which we got 9 points incidentally). Had he have done that everyone would have been kicking Pukki out and labelling Idah as our new superstar. The knee jerk and extreme over reactions of people in here is a kin to what you’d expect to witness at primary school. 

If we show these lads some real support who knows how far they could go with us. People need to stop for a minute think about how they might feel if an Idah was their son, brother or other loved one. It’s hurtful and unnecessary irrespective of the wage they may or may not earn. 

Back your players representing your club.

• Like 2

So if I think Idah is utter pants. I’ve just got to smile and politely say unlucky old bean. 

Come on its a man’s game. He’s not good enough by a long chalk for a club hoping to get promoted in this league. He’s a cheap option. I have no problem with the lad being a back up if that the best back up we can afford but starting game after game with no return. ** that for a game of soldiers.

Edited by Hardhouse44
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Same. He just needs a run of games and a goal to get some confidence. Look at what has happened to Carlton Morris since he's been at Luton. 

Couple of points,

We don't have time to give him a run of games in the hope he suddenly becomes a good finisher.

Carlton Morris is 27 years old, who is having his best season with 13 goals, if that's the heights were aiming for with Adam then we need to move him on.

He reminds me a lot of Morris, someone who needs to go away and play week in, week out before ultimately finding his level.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

So if I think Idah is utter pants. I’ve just got to smile and politely say unlucky old bean. 

Come on its a man’s game. He’s not good enough by a long chalk for a club hoping to get promoted in this league. He’s a cheap option. I have no problem with the lad being a back up if that the best back up we can afford but starting game after game with no return. ** that for a game of soldiers.

Apparently you've got to have achieved more in the game than him to criticise him too...

Idah is so poor. He will never be the goal scorer we need, I don't understand why some seem so desperate to try and defend and justify his selection in the team.

Norwich giving him a 5 year contract smacks of desperation he will come good, when he does nothing to show he has it in him. 

Fans have always criticised players who aren't good enough. It will never change, nor should it - the fans pay their money and are entitled to their view.

14 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Couple of points,

We don't have time to give him a run of games in the hope he suddenly becomes a good finisher.

Carlton Morris is 27 years old, who is having his best season with 13 goals, if that's the heights were aiming for with Adam then we need to move him on.

He reminds me a lot of Morris, someone who needs to go away and play week in, week out before ultimately finding his level.

Points taken, but I think Idah has a higher ceiling than Morris, and the club clearly does too.

Idah outperformed Morris in terms of goalscoring at U18 and U21 level by a long way, and having just turned 22, Idah has been entrusted to play more often at levels that Morris wasn't. Idah has been deemed good enough to provide squad cover since he was 18, which is why he's never had a loan spell, whereas Morris was never judged by the coaches to be good enough to get a chance in the first team even at the age of 25.

Idah is, and always has been, ahead of where Morris was at the same age, so we just have to hope that he develops at the same rate, which he needs games to do, either here or elsewhere on loan.

And I'd argue that maybe we do have time to persist with him in the first team, because he's started the last four and we've picked up ten points and scored eight goals, so it's not like what we're doing isn't working.

1 hour ago, Hardhouse44 said:

I think the club has proven to be a fairly good judge of young player particularly in the past 5 or 6 years so I'll hedge my bets with them, especially when Idah has shown enough to be a physical option up front, who also made some good runs including the one that got him 1v1 in the first place.

Also, to say he's not good enough ignores the fact he's currently third choice. Most clubs in this division would absolutely love Idah as a third choice striker.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Points taken, but I think Idah has a higher ceiling than Morris, and the club clearly does too.

Idah outperformed Morris in terms of goalscoring at U18 and U21 level by a long way, and having just turned 22, Idah has been entrusted to play more often at levels that Morris wasn't. Idah has been deemed good enough to provide squad cover since he was 18, which is why he's never had a loan spell, whereas Morris was never judged by the coaches to be good enough to get a chance in the first team even at the age of 25.

Idah is, and always has been, ahead of where Morris was at the same age, so we just have to hope that he develops at the same rate, which he needs games to do, either here or elsewhere on loan.

And I'd argue that maybe we do have time to persist with him in the first team, because he's started the last four and we've picked up ten points and scored eight goals, so it's not like what we're doing isn't working.

I think it's too simplistic to say that Idah was more fancied than Morris because Morris was loaned out and Idah hasn't been.

I think the squad situation dictates that, in Teemu Pukki we've had a 'first name on the teamsheet' player for the last 4 years.

We couldn't afford to bring in someone to rival him, mostly because A) they'd be very expensive B) they wouldn't play second fiddle and C)  we needed to spend the money elsewhere.

Has his game developed since he broke through? I don't believe so.

I obviously hope I'm wrong but I don't see Adam being Teemu's longterm replacement 

7 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Where does Rashica fit into this?  It's just that I really don't like his apparent attitude.

I'll support everyone else, but he winds me up.  Could've been great at this level and made significant different for things under Smith.

What if Rashica could just see that Dean Smith was a sh*t manager and didn't want to stick around for 5 months of turgid sh*te and chaos, could you really blame him?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, alex_ncfc said:

Idah is so poor. He will never be the goal scorer we need, I don't understand why some seem so desperate to try and defend and justify his selection in the team.

Norwich giving him a 5 year contract smacks of desperation he will come good, when he does nothing to show he has it in him. 

Fans have always criticised players who aren't good enough. It will never change, nor should it - the fans pay their money and are entitled to their view.

Here is a dilema for you, who is worst in your opinion, Angus or Adam......   I seem to remember you describing Sarge awful, he has turned most people around so let's see how those two doing in a years time

Edited by Newtopia

9 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

It’s the way of things these days, with kneejerk reactions on social media. The problem is where criticism is just for the sake of it, as it all too often is. Players need to learn to live with it, I guess.

Any knee jerk is coming from you, LDC and others. If someone is passing unfavourable comment on one of our players he must be wrong. Full stop. Despite all evidence backing those claims.  Idah has failed to deliver almost every rime he has played. He is not up to it, even though the blinkered now talk of him improving ...one day. Not any denial of that lack of ability. Managers defended the useless donkey Hugill. Not for any footballing ability but that he was some warm up guy in the changing room. Similarly, Idah. He will be good...one day. By all means refute any points made about Idah, this is a forum. But don't try to shut down that debate by trying to link a very widespread view, with the odious insults from a handful of teenage cretins

8 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

My immediate cynical thought was that he should have gone down and got their keeper sent off. 

27 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

Here is a dilema for you, who is worst in your opinion, Angus or Adam......   I seem to remember you describing Sarge awful, he has turned most people around so let's see how those two doing in a years time

Sargent was signed at the start of a premiership season where we desperately needed players capable of playing at that level. Never was he even close to good enough. I very, very much doubt at that level he ever will be. The fact he’s turned in some decent performances a division lower is no indication he will ever cut it at premiership level. 

We’ve waited and waited for Idah to show us what he’s all about.  He I’m afraid is playing like Sargent last season a league above his true ability.