Sign in to follow this  
(Northern) Irish Canary

Visit to the Fine City

Morning all,

As a long time supporter yet infrequent visitor to Norwich, I am for the first time bringing the family over from Northern Ireland for the match on Tuesday night. We arrive Monday morning, leaving Wednesday morning so have a day and a half of time to fill. Wanting to create a great impression of the Fine City so that they want to come back, I am seeking recommendations for any family-orientated places to visit / activities to do. I will have a hire car so could travel a bit, although looking to keep it to a relative minimum. I was over in December on my own and visited the Cathedral with I enjoyed, so that could be one option. Other initial thoughts include a river ride along the Wensum or a trip to the Norfolk broads.

Anyway, enough waffle - grateful for suggestions.

Thanks.

Edit: also open to dining suggestions! Went for fish/chips and pint somewhere in Tombland in December and it was fab. Don’t recall name though.

“Family” includes wife and two boys (9 and 12).

Edited by (Northern) Irish Canary
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Best fish and chips here 

https://www.fshshop.com/

Sit downstairs, it's brilliant. 

How old are the kids? There are some excellent history tours fun by the Tourist Board but may bore them to tears! 

No no the best fish and chips in Norfolk is Mary Jane's. Then again that's Cromer and not Norwich.. But let's not get a debate going 😉

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

No no the best fish and chips in Norfolk is Mary Jane's. Then again that's Cromer and not Norwich.. But let's not get a debate going 😉

The last 3 times ive been to mary janes it hasnt been great tbh

• Like 2

Zak's by the riverside is nice if you like 1950s(?) American Diners - our kids love it there, plus you can hop over the river and hire out boats yourself!   Their breakfast menu is a really great price too as you get bottomless tea/coffee etc. Was 6-7 quid last time I went.

Assembly rooms is nice for afternoon tea - nice building, and they sometimes have themes running throughout the year.  You need a sweet tooth to enjoy it though.

The ghost walks in the city are quite interesting too, went on one a few years back and was expecting it to be a little stuffy, but was really interesting and we had a jump scare!  Not sure when they take place though. 

Taking of the ghost walks... Adam & Eve is always worth a visit too, oldest pub around and known to do Irish Stew! 🙂

There's also an urban art trail which is quite a nice way to casually walk around the city and find the hidden art.   A site had a map that you could print out and follow but just had a quick look and can't find it now! 😞  

Gravity up riverside is good fun if the boys are active.  I mean, there's loads to do with the bowling and arcades up riverside..   

Edited by Google Bot

4 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Zak's by the riverside is nice if you like 1950s(?) American Diners - our kids love it there, plus you can hop over the river and hire out boats yourself!   Their breakfast menu is a really great price too as you get bottomless tea/coffee etc. Was 6-7 quid last time I went.

Assembly rooms is nice for afternoon tea - nice building, and they sometimes have themes running throughout the year.  You need a sweet tooth to enjoy it though.

Adam & Eve is always worth a visit too, oldest pub around and known to do Irish Stew! 🙂

The ghost walks in the city are quite interesting too, went on one a few years back and was expecting it to be a little stuffy, but was really interesting and we had a jump scare!  Not sure when they take place though. 

There's also an urban art trail which is quite a nice way to casually walk around the city and find the hidden art.   A site had a map that you could print out and follow but just had a quick look and can't find it now! 😞  

Gravity up riverside is good fun if the boys are active.  I mean, there's loads to do with the bowling and arcades up riverside..   

Bloody hell,he's only got a day and a half!!!!!!🤣

• Haha 5

Just now, mannings bandy legs said:

Bloody hell,he's only got a day and a half!!!!!!🤣

He might be one of those dads that turn up with an itinerary and stresses the whole family out to the point where they all grin and nod saying how lovely the few days away were.... But they just need to go lay down now.  🙂

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Google Bot said:

Taking of the ghost walks... Adam & Eve is always worth a visit too, oldest pub around and known to do Irish Stew! 🙂

That’s great, some good ideas in there thanks. I like the sound of the boat trip so will investigate further. 
Quite keen to give a good impression of the city to encourage many more future trips and to persuade the kids to change allegiances and support our beloved team!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I used to be a Mary Janes fan, then the changed the potatoes, so became a No.1 fan. Mary Janes have now changed their potatoes again and therefore I have reverted back to Mary Janes. Its a busy Friday working from home...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, (Northern) Irish Canary said:

That’s great, some good ideas in there thanks. I like the sound of the boat trip so will investigate further. 
Quite keen to give a good impression of the city to encourage many more future trips and to persuade the kids to change allegiances and support our beloved team!

Avoid Prince of Wales St then 👍

We love a bit of Norwich retail therapy - particularly St Gregory’s collectibles - and did an escape rooms last time we were up.

Food wise I saw captain America’s was still there, although we went turtle bay which was excellent.

Has the Castle reopened? Always had some good displays. Both cathedrals, Anglican one set in nice grounds can walk along river to Cow Tower. Plantation Garden interesting. Strangers Hall quirky, if open. My kids like the TV shop near the Forum. Jarrolds has fab foodhall in basement. Pitch and putt at Eaton Park good fun if weather ok. Lots to do!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, (Northern) Irish Canary said:

I know it's not exactly huge but the Market is always worth a stroll, plus just round  the corner from the Grovesnor fish bar.... can recommend their " Big Mack".... mackerel fillet in a bun. Depending on their fashion sense, they may enjoy 'Head in the Clouds'... though you may not approve of some of their products. Don't forget, teenagers love to spend your money on overpriced merchandise....so the Club shop is a must....or must  not,  depending on the depth of your pockets. 

3 hours ago, Haus said:

Stroll along the beach to East Runton and go to Will's Plaice. It's better than the big two in Cromer.

• Like 1

Grant Holt Burger at Gonzo's Tea Room. No requirement to eat for the rest of your visit.

The science festival is on next week, quite a few things on https://norwichsciencefestival.co.uk/ - interests me, but I get that may not be to everyone's taste. The castle is still being worked on.

Assuming you will be in the vicinity of the football ground, the dry ski slope is not far away for tubing and has a bar/cafe viewing area, also nice for a wander down to whitlingham broad.

7 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Been there twice in the last 18 months and both times not good at all.

7 hours ago, Haus said:

Don’t know what’s happened to the place. After Pattens in Wells-next-the-Sea gave it up one of the few left that sell skate but the last couple of times I’ve been there it wasn’t good at all.

4 hours ago, jaberry2 said:

Any good eateries in Norwich which allow dogs you guys can recommend?

There used to be a Chinese in Prince of Wales Road  serving something that tasted like dog but think the RSPCA closed it down

Edited by daly

4 hours ago, jaberry2 said:

Any good eateries in Norwich which allow dogs you guys can recommend?

We sat outside one of the restaurants on St Benedicts.

40 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Avoid the A47 to Gt Yarmouth. It is a dump.

The bomb went off. I think it maybe have improved.😀

(Everyone is safe, don't worry.)

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, daly said:

There used to be a Chinese in Prince of Wales Road  serving something that tasted like dog but think the RSPCA closed it down

How do  you know what dog tastes like?

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Google Bot said:

He might be one of those dads that turn up with an itinerary and stresses the whole family out to the point where they all grin and nod saying how lovely the few days away were.... But they just need to go lay down now.  🙂

image.jpeg.40c8551c1283e055850064fd08b1e261.jpeg

"Right family that was Pulls Ferry that we've just passed on the right. It's where the stone for Norwich Cathedral that we've just ran around was offloaded for its construction"...."Let's double up and quicken the pace now, as we've got Gravity on Riverside for an hour of 'bouncy bouncy' followed by a healthy quick bite in the Queen of Iceni".... Then it's a quick sprint back to the accommodation (without puking) to freshen up and change, before we power walk down to Carrow Road for the match"...."C'mon now, let's put some effort in!".....

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

"C'mon now, let's put some effort in!".....

"That's not what you said to them players last night when they weren't doing very well, you called them hucking useless tankers or something".

"And when you said somewhere the sun don't shine, did you mean a fridge?  I think that'd be a nice place for that angry man to stick his mars bar"

"Faster boys.... Come on!!"