He made it clear that he wanted out last summer but the club decided that valued him here for 1 more season over the transfer fee they would have been able to get. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

According to the Todd article, Pukki is out of contract at the end of the season. How the hell has that been allowed to happen?!

Because we can't force him to sign one.

• Like 1

Tbh he has been a great professional, currently I am not sure how much his heart is in it currently.

• Like 1

Just now, Newtopia said:

Tbh he has been a great professional, currently I am not sure how much his heart is in it currently.

I agree, I just think he is tired and fed up. Been a fantastic signing for our club but we should let him go now and look to the future (Sargent + a.n. Other - definitely NOT Hugill or Idah!!)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As great as Pukki has been, I feel Sargent now gives us far more options up front as lone striker, and has proved this season he can play there, with bulk of his goals in that position

• Like 4

Just now, rock bus said:

I agree, I just think he is tired and fed up. Been a fantastic signing for our club but we should let him go now and look to the future (Sargent + a.n. Other - definitely NOT Hugill or Idah!!)

I think Idah is proper baller, we dismiss him because he has been flirting with our first team for a long time, yet I would not like marking him.

Teemu has been a fantastic servant for the club and probably one of the best pieces of business the club has made. He will see out his career in Germany or Spain. It would be time to start Sargent in his position for the rest of the season and bring Pukki on from the bench when needed. Its now time to build for the future not rely on the past. 

24 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

Even so, he still chases the ball down around the area in the hope of a mistake.  Not seen early enough when he makes a run - same for Idah.  Sergeant tries hard but hasn’t got the skill or kudos of Pukki.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Helsinki canary said:

Teemu has been a fantastic servant for the club and probably one of the best pieces of business the club has made. He will see out his career in Germany or Spain. It would be time to start Sargent in his position for the rest of the season and bring Pukki on from the bench when needed. Its now time to build for the future not rely on the past. 

Problem is though that in overall quality, we are still having mid-level championship forward vs epl level forward there, and therefore dropping Pukki for Sargent would be admitting that we give up for this season. Not 100% sure that Sargent will take that step in future either, as he seems to be lacking football brain. In that sense I actually still think Idah might be one to replace Pukki in future.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Myra Hawtree said:

Even so, he still chases the ball down around the area in the hope of a mistake.  Not seen early enough when he makes a run - same for Idah.  Sergeant tries hard but hasn’t got the skill or kudos of Pukki.

He doesn't have the ball skills on the ground nor, more importantly, the speed of thinking or the vision. What he does have is an incredible work rate, an ability to make himself a total nuisance, skill in the air, and an eye for the goal as long as he doesn't need to think too long about it. If we build our side around him, everything needs to change from the Farkeball approach. Do we want that?

Edited by canarybubbles
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

He doesn't have the ball skills on the ground nor, more importantly, the speed of thinking or the vision. What he does have is an incredible work rate, an ability to make himself a total nuisance, skill in the air, and an eye for the goal as long as he doesn't need to think too long about it. If we build our side around him, everything needs to change from the Farkeball approach. Do we want that?

Everything already has changed from the Farkeball approach. That’s why Teemu is suffering. He’s still brilliant but we haven’t played to his strengths for a long time now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, percy varco said:

He would be a good number 10 now

That’s how he started under Farke if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

We have to face facts now that going forward we might not be playing to Pukki's strengths. 

I'm doubtful we'll commit to his wage demands but let's see how he goes with the new manager.

5 hours ago, hepphep said:

Problem is though that in overall quality, we are still having mid-level championship forward vs epl level forward there, and therefore dropping Pukki for Sargent would be admitting that we give up for this season. Not 100% sure that Sargent will take that step in future either, as he seems to be lacking football brain. In that sense I actually still think Idah might be one to replace Pukki in future.

We also need to look back to the period of the season where we went on a great unbeaten run , Sargent featured as the starting striker in many of those games and was on a prolific run, Smith then wanted to embed Pukki back into the central striker position and Sargent was pushed out wide and the goals dried up. As another poster mentioned, at this stage in Pukki’s career I would would try him in the number 10 position with Josh as the lead striker - at this stage I see we have little to lose.

Edited by Helsinki canary
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Helsinki canary said:

We also need to look back to the period of the season where we went on a great unbeaten run , Sargent featured as the starting striker in many of those games and was on a prolific run, Smith then wanted to embed Pukki back into the central striker position and Sargent was pushed out wide and the goals dried up. As another poster mentioned, at this stage in Pukki’s career I would would try him in the number 10 position with Josh as the lead striker - at this stage I see we have little to lose.

It could also be that Sargent was massively overperforming for short period. But I agree that Sargeant likely can be best option if the style of play is just to try to drive towards goal and deliver ball there. However, I would rather see us to try to create chances as a team, as we should be very capable to do that.  

Looks a shadow of his former self and agree with above comments, he just doesn't look happy. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see him leave this month. Fantastic servant and deserves so much more than to play his last game alongside this current crop.

I suppose a lot depends upon his relationship with the hew man, however I think he''ll be away.

He can sign a pre-contract this month, so we'll soon know.

Abroad, probably.

We should do everything  within our power to get  him to stay.

7 hours ago, Thingy said:

Pukki is by far the best player. He is carrying the rest.

How is he carrying the team? He barely touches the ball and isn’t really scoring? 

• Like 1

Teemu has been always the kind of striker who needs correct kind of balls to score goals. Since Emi left no such balls around regularly. But if you watch the ball from Gibson in the Luton match you always knew that Teemu is going to score with that backspin shot, before he took the first touch.

But if Norwich has a plan like yesterday where most of the balls are crosses, everyone knows that you don't do a **** with Pukki. So if that's the masterplan of mr. Wagner, maybe selling Pukki at this point would be decent for everyone. And still, even Pukki has not been in the full form, he is #2 in scored goals and #1 in assists what it comes to Norwich. In the end of the season he is most likely both the best goal scorer and giving most assists.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

How is he carrying the team? He barely touches the ball and isn’t really scoring? 

He’s gone quite greedy too when others are in better positions 

3 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

He’s gone quite greedy too when others are in better positions 

Bit harsh, because most good strikers are pretty greedy, but if he was sold this transfer window then I think it would be a win win. Sargent is good enough to replace him and we'd have some money in to potentially improve the squad this window instead of him going for nothing at the end of the season.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

9 hours ago, hepphep said:

It could also be that Sargent was massively overperforming for short period. But I agree that Sargeant likely can be best option if the style of play is just to try to drive towards goal and deliver ball there. However, I would rather see us to try to create chances as a team, as we should be very capable to do that.  

So it's possible he's not really capable of playing as well as he did?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

So it's possible he's not really capable of playing as well as he did?

I think that it remains as valid question for longer term if he can find and maintain such form regularly. So far in his career for us and in Bundesliga he has scored 28 goals in 138 games. As big chunk of those is early this season, its interesting to see if he had silly streak or if it is that he has been able to step up to next level.

In comparison, Idah has 9 in 62 which would make their career averages pretty same in start of the season when Idah was still injured and Sargent got his streak.

And please do not read to this as saying Sargeant is bad player. He has really good qualities in his pressing and work rate. Still bit unsure if he can contribute to controlling game yet though and if he can keep on scoring regularly on high numbers. 

2 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Bit harsh, because most good strikers are pretty greedy, but if he was sold this transfer window then I think it would be a win win. Sargent is good enough to replace him and we'd have some money in to potentially improve the squad this window instead of him going for nothing at the end of the season.

I think it'd be a lose lose if he were to be sold...

• Like 1