TheGoogler

Todd Cantwell to Rangers

1 hour ago, TheDarkKnight said:

My guess is that it'll be closer to £10k than £10m.

Probably £100k-£250k especially since he's out of contact in the summer.

Yeah probably like £500k, so nothing more than a 6 month loan fee really, but we get a 20 percent of profit clause or something so if he does sort his life out and go for £15m we make a few million down the line?

That would be smart on our part.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Indy said:

It’s such a shame he has fallen so badly out with this club, there’s obviously an underlying issue, whatever that may be I wish the lad well in his future, he’s been a huge part of our two promotions and maybe the sale of Buendia had a big effect on Todd.

We may never find out, but even if he had fallen out with the club, he is still under contract, he is still being paid a lot of money and as a professional, he could have contributed more in the last two seasons than he has and that is what irritates people. On the surface he appears to have had his head turned after that first PL season, believed his own hype.  He also appears to have been badly advised and to have riled the management at the club on several counts. But good luck to him, maybe he can sort himself out at a new club with a fresh start. 

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

Todd will be playing Champions League football next year, good luck to him.

Doubt you get Champions League for 2nd in the SPL, Europa League perhaps? Still, can't blame him, better than Plymouth away on a Tuesday night. 

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Not a chance in hell they’d pay 10 million for a player free in July! We’re lucky if we get a token sum and Cantwell off the wages.

The smart move by us would be to waive the fee but insist on a hefty sell on clause in case he comes good.

Ryan Kent managed to reinvent himself at Rangers after going stale.

• Like 2

Rangers are firmly in the driving seat; nominal transfer fee no sell on clause. If Cantwell and Rangers are prepared to write off the season then they just sign a pre contract agreement with him and get him for nothing.

It's a big hole in Wagner's spend for next season which becomes even more relevant if we lose Pukki as well. Pukki and Cantwell leaving for nothing and limited funds to replace them with is a bitter pill to swallow.

How the hell did we get to this situation?

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Rangers are firmly in the driving seat; nominal transfer fee no sell on clause. If Cantwell and Rangers are prepared to write off the season then they just sign a pre contract agreement with him and get him for nothing.

It's a big hole in Wagner's spend for next season which becomes even more relevant if we lose Pukki as well. Pukki and Cantwell leaving for nothing and limited funds to replace them with is a bitter pill to swallow.

How the hell did we get to this situation?

Yep for sure , how the hell was it possible to get into this farcical soap opera. 

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Doubt you get Champions League for 2nd in the SPL

qualifiers

as for Cantwell, just literally gave up one day and doesn't have the mentality to get back to the levels we thought he could reach

see: Dele Alli

26 minutes ago, Mengo said:

Yep for sure , how the hell was it possible to get into this farcical soap opera. 

To be fair I think the Cantwell Bournemouth loan was an option to buy which they didn't take up and  was the last realistic chance of getting a decent fee for him.  Pukki is of an age where a last payday move on a free is always going to be a danger - and it was worth the gamble of keeping him for a last hurrah this year given that any fee for a player of his age was unlikely to outweigh his value to us.  Admittedly we should have actually played to his strengths rather than the nonsense we've been served up thus far this season, but it was a gamble worth taking.

That said, we as a club must know what is going to happen by now with Pukki.  If he is going as we all suspect then it is time to play Sargent as a #9 and move on - either with Teemu as an impact sub or played in a supporting role, either wide or as a #10.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

This is a player who has been brought through the City ranks since he was very young, given the best at every opportunity. All at great expense. Made him the footballer he is today. Paid him enough to buy expensive cars, property and clothes.

Yet he is now able to walk for nothing.

This sort of thing has happened lots before. It sickens me that 

a person can be so devoid of conscience.

Bit of an assumption, how do you know given our finances/his form of last 18 months we just don’t want to offer a new contact and would rather cash in on his remaining worth?

I really don't understand why people spout so much nonsense about Cantwell. All we know is that he's been dropped from the squad. People are making assumptions and stating their guesses as fact. 

As far as I can tell he was simply out of favour because of the tactics being employed rather than anything else. I'm sure he would have happily given his all if he'd been picked. And, given the general failure of the team, I can only speculate that we would have done a hell of a lot better if he'd been playing. I really don't get why people are blaming him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Monty13 said:

Bit of an assumption, how do you know given our finances/his form of last 18 months we just don’t want to offer a new contact and would rather cash in on his remaining worth?

I wasn't just talking about the  last few months, in which he has probably has been  paid a usual (nothing has been indicated that he has been on some sort of strike) I was referring to the thousands he has been paid and had invested in him since  his time at City.

Sufficient for him to buy fancy cars.

The longer the contract he  has the greater his worth.

He played quite well under Smith 'til injury.

12 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I wasn't just talking about the  last few months, in which he has probably has been  paid a usual (nothing has been indicated that he has been on some sort of strike) I was referring to the thousands he has been paid and had invested in him since  his time at City.

Your employer doesn't get a transfer fee if you decide to leave do they, despite paying you the money which bought your car.

He gets paid a salary to do his job. The problem isn't that he's planning to leave his employment here, but rather that he's not been very good at that job for about 18 months.

In his defence he said he wanted to stay at Bournemouth. They didn't want him. If they did want him we'd have got the fee wouldn't we, so he hasn't intentionally dragged this out to bosman stage, he was clearly wanting out a year ago, unfortunately no takers.

I wonder how many offers Webber has turned down for him. Webber started throwing around £30m as his value, if we've turned down £12m or £15m at any stage then that's really on us isn't it because that's all I really felt he was worth.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

53 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Your employer doesn't get a transfer fee if you decide to leave do they, despite paying you the money which bought your car.

He gets paid a salary to do his job. The problem isn't that he's planning to leave his employment here, but rather that he's not been very good at that job for about 18 months.

In his defence he said he wanted to stay at Bournemouth. They didn't want him. If they did want him we'd have got the fee wouldn't we, so he hasn't intentionally dragged this out to bosman stage, he was clearly wanting out a year ago, unfortunately no takers.

I wonder how many offers Webber has turned down for him. Webber started throwing around £30m as his value, if we've turned down £12m or £15m at any stage then that's really on us isn't it because that's all I really felt he was worth.

It's not just his wages though, as I pointed out, a fortune has been invested in him since day one. We have helped make him the footballer he is today,

I was just adding up the package for just two good seasons.

I'm not suggesting he manufactured a Bosman situation, but that's what it's become. 

Now with Pukki its acceptable. Cost little, been consistently magnificent ... owes the club nothing.

Of course with Cantwell things are more complicated. Social media has been cruel to him, but what other pressures have made him so keen to get away?

Edited by BroadstairsR

6 hours ago, Petriix said:

I really don't understand why people spout so much nonsense about Cantwell. All we know is that he's been dropped from the squad. People are making assumptions and stating their guesses as fact. 

As far as I can tell he was simply out of favour because of the tactics being employed rather than anything else. I'm sure he would have happily given his all if he'd been picked. And, given the general failure of the team, I can only speculate that we would have done a hell of a lot better if he'd been playing. I really don't get why people are blaming him.

Maybe instances like when coming back from the recent trip to Tampa he told Smith he did not want to play as he needed to do more work. 
No mention of injury etc. could have stayed in Norwich to do more work but was happy to go and enjoy himself in Florida. Sends strange signals of priorities. 

10 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Doubt you get Champions League for 2nd in the SPL, Europa League perhaps? Still, can't blame him, better than Plymouth away on a Tuesday night. 

You do though 

7 hours ago, Petriix said:

Couldn’t agree more with this. When we did see him playing earlier in the season, there was no doubting his commitment. IMO he is the one player we have who has the unpredictability and ability to do something different, to create something out of nothing, to set up Pukki but,  generally speaking, he has been excluded. Todd has now had three managers in just over a year. The only constant is Webber. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

What’s your point then I’m confused. You were complaining he can “walk for nothing” and that he’s “devoid of conscious”. As far as we know it may not be his decision.

The only way we are going to get any sort of fee from Rangers is if there are other possible moves on the horizon at the end of his contract. My guess is that there will be other interested clubs when he becomes a free agent and we might be able to squeeze a fee now if Rangers think they might lose their chance. £2m tops I reckon.

7 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Social media has been cruel to him, but what other pressures have made him so keen to get away?

It's not "social media" that has been cruel to him, it's a significant contingent of so-called Norwich fans that have enjoyed laying into him on a persistent basis irrespective of form or relevance to football.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, horsefly said:

It's not "social media" that has been cruel to him, it's a significant contingent of so-called Norwich fans that have enjoyed laying into him on a persistent basis irrespective of form or relevance to football.

Jesus, a footballer that has an open presense on social media (i.e. not a secret account for friends and family) and uses it to provoke at times, surely has to take critisism. Im not saying that its correct in anyway but its to be expected unfortunatley in this day and age.

As for form, he hasn't had any for quite some time, I think that fans, managers and staffs patience has finally run out - Throwing toys out of the pram and acting like some prima donna is fine as long as your skills and form on the pitch match up to it, neither is true.

17 minutes ago, Wibble said:

Jesus, a footballer that has an open presense on social media (i.e. not a secret account for friends and family) and uses it to provoke at times, surely has to take critisism. Im not saying that its correct in anyway but its to be expected unfortunatley in this day and age.

As for form, he hasn't had any for quite some time, I think that fans, managers and staffs patience has finally run out - Throwing toys out of the pram and acting like some prima donna is fine as long as your skills and form on the pitch match up to it, neither is true.

I don't follow him on social media, but can't remember anyone re-posting something he has said that could be deemed as "provoking" the sort of hateful stuff of which he has often been in receipt. 

As for "throwing toys out of a pram and acting like a prima donna". I have seen no evidence that this is a justified description. He happens to be a higher profile player at the club because his previous performances marked him out as a player of genuine talent (ask Shearer, Lineker and co). He is far from alone in being such a player who lost his form for a period of time. I haven't the slightest knowledge of why he lost his form, and as far as I can see no other Norwich City fan has either. For all we know there are a multitude of explanations, many of which would deserve sympathy and encouragement, and not the vile abuse that has often been the case. In the meantime I will reserve judgement until (if at all) actual evidence emerges that he persistently behaved in ways that warrant damnation.

I look forward to him showing his true capabilities in his future career; just a shame it won't be Norwich but some other team that will benefit.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Wibble said:

As for form, he hasn't had any for quite some time, I think that fans, managers and staffs patience has finally run out

That's just nonsense. He's been no worse than anyone else who has come into the team and he is generally far better at linking midfield to attack than anyone else we have. He's just been a victim of the 4-3-3 and Smith's flawed midfield tactics - in which no one exactly thrived. 

People go on about goals and assists but those things are heavily reliant on your teammates. Against Stoke Todd should have had two assists but Hugill missed the 1v1 and Nunez's shot was saved before Sara tapped in the rebound; the blind reverse pass to Nunez was sublime.

The vitriol against him is embarrassing. It's basically a bunch of bullies picking on one kid because he has long hair. No wonder he has wanted a move away. 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Petriix said:

That's just nonsense. He's been no worse than anyone else who has come into the team and he is generally far better at linking midfield to attack than anyone else we have. He's just been a victim of the 4-3-3 and Smith's flawed midfield tactics - in which no one exactly thrived. 

People go on about goals and assists but those things are heavily reliant on your teammates. Against Stoke Todd should have had two assists but Hugill missed the 1v1 and Nunez's shot was saved before Sara tapped in the rebound; the blind reverse pass to Nunez was sublime.

The vitriol against him is embarrassing. It's basically a bunch of bullies picking on one kid because he has long hair. No wonder he has wanted a move away. 

Spot on! I was literally searching YouTube at this very moment for that "sublime pass" you just mentioned. Only he out of the current squad (at this time) would have been capable of the vision and execution involved.

Edited by horsefly
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Petriix said:

This.  I actually think that he has done well for the most part whenever he has been involved this season (sadly not often enough for whatever reason) considering that he - along with half the squad it seems - has been largely played out of position in a system to which he isn't suited.

IF he gets his head right he would start in virtually every Championship team and IF he does will be a success in Scotland.  Wouldn't surprise me to see him moving back down to a bigger club in a few years either.

It's the IF element that is the issue though.  The talent is there.  It's largely up to him to make the most of a fresh start.  I wish him well.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Wibble said:

it all started going wrong on social media when Farke was saying he is not fit etc 

now i think something was going on and Farke used the he is not fit to protect Todd instead of saying personal issues etc 

what did Todd do went on social media and said i am fit nothing wrong 

totally going against what Farke said 

that started all the guessing 

then the Cryptic messages started on todds account 

now i am not saying its right but if he had closed that social media account and said nothing i am sure it would have been easier ,

he seems to me he likes attention but does not like being criticised and gets upset at bad attention that is why he should stay away from social media 

44 minutes ago, Barham Blitz said:

This.  I actually think that he has done well for the most part whenever he has been involved this season (sadly not often enough for whatever reason) considering that he - along with half the squad it seems - has been largely played out of position in a system to which he isn't suited.

IF he gets his head right he would start in virtually every Championship team and IF he does will be a success in Scotland.  Wouldn't surprise me to see him moving back down to a bigger club in a few years either.

It's the IF element that is the issue though.  The talent is there.  It's largely up to him to make the most of a fresh start.  I wish him well.

Exactly i watched a programme on Netflix about a young french footballer 

his coach said quality and talent is not enough 

so many footballers that a club will take a player with less talent who trains and gives 100 % 

over someone who is better but is late sometimes not as model pro and has very good games then goes missing 

13 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

This is a player who has been brought through the City ranks since he was very young, given the best at every opportunity. All at great expense. Made him the footballer he is today. Paid him enough to buy expensive cars, property and clothes.

Professional football is a brutal dog-eat-dog high stakes world. Fans forget this, for them football is a low stakes hobby. We didn't spend this on Cantwell, or any of the other youngsters, as an act of goodwill or a favour to him. We did because the club might get something out it. If at any time he wasn't up to it we would have kicked him out. As one of the few successful graduates of the academy the club probably have washed its face with him. He owes the club nothing.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Professional football is a brutal dog-eat-dog high stakes world. Fans forget this, for them football is a low stakes hobby. We didn't spend this on Cantwell, or any of the other youngsters, as an act of goodwill or a favour to him. We did because the club might get something out it. If at any time he wasn't up to it we would have kicked him out. As one of the few successful graduates of the academy the club probably have washed its face with him. He owes the club nothing.

my Nephew was in the same team 13/14/15 group 

i do not know how many made it to professional ranks 

my Nephew didnt he got the same money spent on him in those 3 years as cantwell did maybe more due to his injuries 

Edited by norfolkngood
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Now being reported that we have turned down a bid from a Championship club 

i doubt he will be allowed to leave for a Rival in same league this season why would you strengthen another team