Wagner? Not for me.....but whoever gets the City gig, there'll be quite a bit o' pressure on them to hit the ground running.....

1 hour ago, Badger said:

She went to University in Sheffield (as did I - a few decades earlier 😪).

I haven't a clue if the rumour is reliable, but it was curious that it was the only name given and also that the odds have shortened so much since. Suggests something more than speculation?

It does really, curious.

BTW I too am a Sheff Uni graduate from the early 80's, I stayed on in the City. 

Edited by shefcanary

38 minutes ago, Badger said:

Good Heavens - who on earth would bet on a football appointment at 1/16? I wouldn't take those odds even if Delia had told me at dinner!

Well, going by what Big Vince says, if she did tell you owt at Dinner, bet on the opposite!

Yes, I would be happy with this.

Really want Knutsen but that's not a possibility.

Wagner would bring intellect and heart back to the dressing room and provide the reset the squad needs.

Would also be interested to see what input he could have to our transfer shopping list.

The more you think about this one the more it actually makes sense, and for me at least it's more interesting than when I first saw the link. His Huddersfield side were incredibly well coached and played a style something like we were promised with Smith. Whilst he is looking to his past it wouldn't be Webber flip flopping in what he wants from his managers here.

Edited by KeiranShikari

1 hour ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Whoever comes in gets my support, short of Putin or Gary Glitter taking charge.

OTBC

Think he's after the Young Boys job......

• Haha 2

I'd be happy with Wagner, looks to play progressive football and has had success in this division. Compared to Dean Smith he's going to look like a tactical mastermind.

Need to stop being obsessed with finding some left field 5+ year manager from Timbuktu, its rare that the stars align like they did with Farke and its often a complete fluke. Lovely when it happens and we were blessed with it happening twice in a decade with Lambert and then Farke.

Don't see where people are seeing the Farke similarities though, beyond both being German.

Always reminds me more of Klopp in the way he looks and acts. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

His Huddersfield side were far closer to Liverpool stylistically than to Farke's Norwich. People are genuinely just seeing the German flag there.

Edited by KeiranShikari

He seems the right fit. But we have to be aware of his disaster at Schalke. The Swiss job ended bizarrely after he couldn't keep Young Boys on their title winning streak and third wasn't good enough.

Would seem a sensible move though.

Nick Mash-ter has tweeted that he's 'very much under consideration ... a serious contender.'

With Webber's personal link to him you wonder if he had been sounded out after the Middlesbrough debacle? If so, perhaps we'll hire before Watford come to town?

Edited by Cantiaci Canary

4 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Ma****er has tweeted that he's 'very much under consideration ... a serious contender.'

Probably just stirring up the inevitable negative reaction because he hates Webber.

A run of eighteen games without a win whilst at Schalke including a 0-8 reverse against Bayern Munich on the opening day of the season has to be a concern.

3 minutes ago, Barry Brockes said:

A run of eighteen games without a win whilst at Schalke including a 0-8 reverse against Bayern Munich on the opening day of the season has to be a concern.

Much like Farke, that streak was across the tail end of one season and the start of the other. The tail end streak was the covid interrupted season.

Not an excuse but there is some mitigation in there I think. 

Two abject failures and three sackings since his last success. I cannot stress enough how much we need a younger manager who is on an up-curve rather than someone who has been through multiple recent heavy failures. Christ this is disappointing.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Captain Holt said:

Two abject failures and three sackings since his last success. I cannot stress enough how much we need a younger manager who is on an up-curve rather than someone who has been through multiple recent heavy failures. Christ this is disappointing.

Appointing someone out of work who is willing to move here narrows the field down somewhat.

If someone who's won promotion to the Prem & kept an unfashionable side up is keen to take on our challenge then let's snap him up - espec if he values attractive football and has already worked closely with our SD.

32 minutes ago, Barry Brockes said:

The pandemic almost bankrupt them, players had to take big pay cuts and their debt rose to £230m. 

It was an extremely difficult set of circumstances in which to try and manage. I doubt he'd have taken such an impossible job if he didn't have an affinity to the club (played for them as a player for two years in the 90s).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Captain Holt said:

Two abject failures and three sackings since his last success. 

Bit harsh to count his success as one of his failures there.

He technically wasn't sacked at Huddersfield, he agreed to terminate by mutual consent.

unless the new investors chip in £50m of new equity for the January tranfer window and sack Webber it dosent matter a damn who the new coach is - we have a squad of tired donkeys and appointing god as a new coach would barely see us finishing above 10th place for the season.

Just now, Canary Pie said:

unless the new investors chip in £50m of new equity for the January tranfer window and sack Webber it dosent matter a damn who the new coach is - we have a squad of tired donkeys and appointing god as a new coach would barely see us finishing above 10th place for the season.

A bit harsh but then again maybe not................................................

One thing is for sure, the prospect of promotion followed by yet another summer window of either 'zero' (because we will have no money) recruitment  or 'poor recruitment by the mountaineer' would be followed by the worst embarrassment even by our standards.  

5 minutes ago, Canary Pie said:

His first action on the transfer market would be to try and tempt Jesus away from Arsenal.

14 minutes ago, Canary Pie said:

I don't care if we finish 14th, as long as we have a manager who:

1). Seems to actually want a chance here, to the extent that they might eventually become somewhat fond of us as a club

2). Goes into games with some sort of tactical plan

3). Tries to play decent football when appropriate

4). Looks capable of improving young players

Dean Smith ticked none of those boxes. It isn't about league position for most of us now.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Well if it does end up being Wagner he should have no trouble getting a tune out of the players..

Oh dear…..

Played as a striker for the USA senior team like Josh Sargent, and played as a striker for Schalke 04 like Teemu Pukki, so that's an immediate ice breaker.

I would hope he would at very least realise that Sargent is wasted out wide. 

9 minutes ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

His first action on the transfer market would be to try and tempt Jesus away from Arsenal.

Thought we were in for that Haaland guy ?
Just heard him on Amazon, after he scored 2 his first comment to Shearer was about the 2 if not 3 he missed. He said ‘ he was very disappointed and would need to go away and practice his finishing even more ‘ and I assure you he wasn’t joking.