Sign in to follow this  
kenfoggo

“Fortunately our next game is away”

Once the manager has attacked the fans, and the home fans have turned, the game is up. There's another level of toxic to get to yet, but for the good of club and manager, Smith's tenure needs to be ended today. I just don't see an alternative way forward with him.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Only one thing more certain than Dennis' defence of all things at the club (which he has been doing on twitter) is his unsweving reluctance to ever criticise a poor refereeing performance

I'm an ex-ref myself, and will often defend referees where I feel it's warranted. But, as with the club, Dennis goes to comedy levels of defence. An IT graduate could probably program an AI version of Mick Dennis to 99% accuracy.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Smith shouldn't have said it. But he's not wrong.

Booing the players after 15 minutes for passing it around the back (which was the only way we actually created space to set Max or Sam on an attack) must make it near impossible for the players.

But with the fans having that mindset he has to go. There's not really a workable alternative.

I normally fall on your side of the fence with these things Hog, and on the objective face of it booing so early for playing out shouldn't be ok- normally.

But with the eye test it was plain to see Blackburn had pinned us with an average press, which was causing us to toothlessly recycle possession along the back line. There was nobody looking for the ball until Gibbs came on just shy of an hour into proceedings, up to that point in possession we might as well have been playing a 4-0-6 formation.

We shouldn't be this easy to stop, and that's where the booing came from. We had zero ideas of how to break through.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

I normally fall on your side of the fence with these things Hog, and on the objective face of it booing so early for playing out shouldn't be ok- normally.

But with the eye test it was plain to see Blackburn had pinned us with an average press, which was causing us to toothlessly recycle possession along the back line. There was nobody looking for the ball until Gibbs came on just shy of an hour into proceedings, up to that point in possession we might as well have been playing a 4-0-6 formation.

We shouldn't be this easy to stop, and that's where the booing came from. We had zero ideas of how to break through.

I agree. But let's not pretend that's the real reason the booing was happening for a lot of fans. It was pre-determined booing that they've not had the right situations to do it in from previous games. Because fans aren't happy. They don't rate the manager and we should have probably learned by now that once a decision has been made or an opinion formed it takes an unprecedented amount of change to see that view switch.

We really struggled with a central midfield outlet until Gibbs you're right - Hayden doesn't do it very well. But, our passing it around the back did, if fans like it or not, even in that dreadful first half, open up the opportunity for Aarons to break out into space. It gave Gunn the opportunity to play to fullbacks pushed high and play it over the press. 

It was a dreadful first half performance but if your own fans are booing you having the ball 15 minutes in you've got little to no hope of turning it around. Smith has to go just to save us from that repeated escapade if nothing else.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Booing the players after 15 minutes for passing it around the back (which was the only way we actually created space to set Max or Sam on an attack) must make it near impossible for the players.

But with the fans having that mindset he has to go. There's not really a workable alternative.

In the second half they were cheering back passes to Angus!

49 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Most Norwich fans are passive. It takes a lot to get them to boo their own . The more remarkable issue is the apathy . I live and work in the City and you can feel it . The gate last night is further proof .

It’s not the booing that is the issue it’s the people not being there to boo. I’ve said this before and got a bit of stick from a few idiots but the facts are that several thousand  fans are just not bothering . It’s the “silent” fans in offices and pubs in the City that are the real indicators. Go into the murderers or the coach and horses and listen to the people of Norwich. They are fed up. 

Smith hasn’t worked. He was a bad choice. Time has proven the doubters correct . That said the signings have been poor , or at least Smith hasn’t got enough out of them. Smith and Shakey have made Aarons worse which in my opinion takes some doing . Gibson was a good Championship signing . He now looks bang average. I could go on. Sargent looked poor. Then looked ok when circumstances meant he played more central . We now see him back out wide. 

The last time I recall the atmosphere around the City being like this was during Roeders time. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Defending him, even at the very end

its adorable 😂

7 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Most Norwich fans are passive. It takes a lot to get them to boo their own . The more remarkable issue is the apathy . I live and work in the City and you can feel it . The gate last night is further proof .

It’s not the booing that is the issue it’s the people not being there to boo. I’ve said this before and got a bit of stick from a few idiots but the facts are that several thousand  fans are just not bothering . It’s the “silent” fans in offices and pubs in the City that are the real indicators. Go into the murderers or the coach and horses and listen to the people of Norwich. They are fed up. 

Smith hasn’t worked. He was a bad choice. Time has proven the doubters correct . That said the signings have been poor , or at least Smith hasn’t got enough out of them. Smith and Shakey have made Aarons worse which in my opinion takes some doing . Gibson was a good Championship signing . He now looks bang average. I could go on. Sargent looked poor. Then looked ok when circumstances meant he played more central . We now see him back out wide. 

The last time I recall the atmosphere around the City being like this was during Roeders time. 

I agree. He has to go for that alone. We don't stand a chance of success with the current collective mindsets.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I agree. He has to go for that alone. We don't stand a chance of success with the current management in place. From Delia to Dean.

All the best. Hogesar.

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

19 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I agree. But let's not pretend that's the real reason the booing was happening for a lot of fans. It was pre-determined booing that they've not had the right situations to do it in from previous games. Because fans aren't happy. They don't rate the manager and we should have probably learned by now that once a decision has been made or an opinion formed it takes an unprecedented amount of change to see that view switch.

We really struggled with a central midfield outlet until Gibbs you're right - Hayden doesn't do it very well. But, our passing it around the back did, if fans like it or not, even in that dreadful first half, open up the opportunity for Aarons to break out into space. It gave Gunn the opportunity to play to fullbacks pushed high and play it over the press. 

It was a dreadful first half performance but if your own fans are booing you having the ball 15 minutes in you've got little to no hope of turning it around. Smith has to go just to save us from that repeated escapade if nothing else.

I don't disagree that there are those that have been gleefully awaiting Smith's failure, which does contribute to some degree. But I'd argue that the primary reason for the disdain, unfortunately, is that it isn't really 'booing after 15 minutes'. As last night was pretty much the exact same performance as against Swansea with the key difference that the early goal went the other way. It was much the same performance as most games since the winning run earlier in the year.

If you take Sargents performances over the season it fairly neatly demonstrates a microcosm of the Smith era.

• Like 1

Unfortunately it feels like the fans aren’t important anymore. Money is the key in football and the majority comes from broadcasting rights. Although I don’t understand why Sky would want to show our games.

For everyone's sake, just end it now. Its not been a great relationship. The fans know when it isn't the right partnership. Whatever he says about us, we could point the finger back.

Move on.

“Fortunately our next game is away!” I’ m getting a sweatshirt printed up because this has to be the most misguided quote from a Head Coach …EVER. ( It is almost like a resignation letter).

11 minutes ago, kenfoggo said:

“Fortunately our next game is away!” I’ m getting a sweatshirt printed up because this has to be the most misguided quote from a Head Coach …EVER. ( It is almost like a resignation letter).

All those that defended him and slated their fellow fans, for him to turn around and say “fortunately our next game is away” 😂😂

Guess what Deano, the away fans are going to slate you as well 😂😂

Edited by The Real Buh

Theres definitely no disconnect with the fans…the club just don’t want the team playing in front of them ideally.

4 hours ago, percy varco said:

The idiot Smith has lost it. Attacking the fans shows what a poor fit  he is. 
probably thinks it is ok as Webber doesnt care about the Customers either. 

And there lies the problem. As long as the paying customer keeps turning up at Carrow Road, little will change!

17 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Theres definitely no disconnect with the fans…the club just don’t want the team playing in front of them ideally.

“THANK YOU FOR YOUR FANTASTIC SUPPORT”

40 minutes ago, kenfoggo said:

I'll put some wonger in for a Giant banner of it to be unveiled in the South stand before Kick off. 

3 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

The nail being hit on the head big time there. Reading that genuinely makes me feel sad, the fans, the city deserve so much better but all seems pretty hopeless at the moment. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Didn't you mean jeering ?

No Graham it was ironic cheering.

14 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Trouble is, if we get a replacement manager, then what? What if they don't bounce with an immediate win with a new manager? TvB and co have already set the wheels in motion to call for the heads of all and sundry no matter what.

I think this is a very valid point. Whilst I think he is a dead man walking - criticizing the fans only ends one way - how long will the usual suspects give any new manager? A month? A week? a half? I am a great believer that stability and continuity will breed more long term success than changing a manager regularly. That said, I do not think stability and continuity with this manager will breed anything but decline as he is just a bit sh*t. 

10 hours ago, hogesar said:

This is a bloody good post. I thought we were really poor in our support last night and the tirades against the manager should have been reserved for demonstrations outside the ground afterwards. Booing almost every misplaced pass in the first half made it impossible for the players whose fragile confidence was hammered by that scrappy opening goal. Hyaden was appalling whilst Sara played so high and wide that the midfield was left bereft of personnel. It 'improved' second half but the damage was done. You can slate Gibson all you like but this is a guy who speaks more sense than the rest of the tools put together! Time and time again he was pleading for midfielders to give him an option but option came there none so the boy got hounded unmercifully for playing the ball back all the time and that is clearly not helping with his already rusty performance level.