Sign in to follow this  
chicken

****Official Lapps Match Thread v Huddersfield (L/h) *****

8 hours ago, Monty13 said:

He may well do. My point was one cameo great goal for a kid against decent opponents proves absolutely nothing.

8 hours ago, Monty13 said:

He may well do. My point was one cameo great goal for a kid against decent opponents proves absolutely nothing.

Which is exactly the point TuBs would make if you'd suggested signing him . Good game , good game.

1 hour ago, The Real Buh said:

. A broken clock is right twice a day.

But a working Buh can't achieve even this level of shart.

7 hours ago, chicken said:

I think most people would. Lets all be honest here though, if given a scenario where Pukki is out for 3 weeks and he comes back to a Sargent who has scored in three consecutive games and the team around him is working like a well oiled machine... it isn't such an easy prospect anymore. 

Would Pukki have scored that header - hand on heart? No. 

Absolutely, but I still think if the fate of the world depends on it, I'm taking Pukki in that situation than Sargent.

But, dare I say looking at his all round performance, he showed last night evidence of why we bought him. His hold up play and tactical understanding was impressive and he's no slouch (look at the sprint for the red card) so if he can cut out the silly Sargentisms we could be on to something 

9 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Absolutely, but I still think if the fate of the world depends on it, I'm taking Pukki in that situation than Sargent.

But, dare I say looking at his all round performance, he showed last night evidence of why we bought him. His hold up play and tactical understanding was impressive and he's no slouch (look at the sprint for the red card) so if he can cut out the silly Sargentisms we could be on to something 

I could see one or the other being the better choice depending on who we're playing. Generally, it feels like a relief to me to have a choice emerge for centre forward. 

If Sargent scores 3 in 3 before Pukki comes back, Sargent will keep his place.  I genuinely think Sargent suits the rest of the team play better than Pukki, just hoping Pukki comes back into form, I have this horrible feeling some club is sniffing around him. (BTW this has no basis of fact)

20 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

In fairness to Sargent he’s never really been given a go centrally. He looked much more suited to that role and his hold up play was good which, with that three behind him, is a good option for us to have.

Hugill on the other hand couldn’t trap a bag of cement when he came on. 

Regardless if he scores or not a run of games playing in the centre will be good for him. He offers very little out in the right wing/inside right position and CF is definitely where he is strongest. He's actually quite decent at heading towards goal and gives us a 'Hugill' type striker on crosses but with far better all round play.

It would have been interesting to see the outcome of a 1 on 1 with the keeper, had he not been fouled!

Pleased for the lad though, and deserved his ovation.

Sargent does seem able to get on the end of crosses. It provides a different option.

Lots of very encouraging performances last night - Sinani, Dowell and Gibbs. And I felt far happier with Kenny at LB than Lungi.

One thing I've not read here from last night is Max's performance. He was everywhere, competent in defence (you can often rely on him to cover well) but he is a terrific outlet going forward. 

I don't think there is a better RB in the Championship. A great game from him. What an engine on him and a complete athlete. Lucky to still have him.

• Like 2

Sargent was always going to suit a Dean Smith style team. Punting it long and getting crosses in are good if you're 6ft3, not so much if you're 5ft8 Pukki.

Just now, Worthy Nigelton said:

Sargent was always going to suit a Dean Smith style team. Punting it long and getting crosses in are good if you're 6ft3, not so much if you're 5ft8 Pukki.

At no point last night did we “punt it long” in fact we arguably overplayed at times in the final third. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, king canary said:

A wins a win but clearly made it harder than it should have been in the end.

Still feels like when we get Hayden in and Sara up and running we'll be looking strong.

It’s quite amusing how our fans see this season….. we aren’t the 21st best team in England by any measure, Hayden isn’t this all singing all dancing brilliant CDM fans would have us think, he’s not even kicked a ball yet and when he does, he won’t match the bizarre expectations…. he was a squad player for a struggling Newcastle team and no other EPL team has gone chasing after him.   He played regularly for Newcastle until they had alternatives but they always struggled….

Sara is supposed to be fit yet we picked a Villa player this weekend and left him out of the squad completely!   How does he get up to speed if we pick someone else’s player ahead of him?     Or is he not impressing enough?

You may be right, we may be stronger with them but I’d wait until they prove themselves first.    

Edited by ged in the onion bag
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Who are you taking to bury a header from a cross under pressure?

They both have strengths and weaknesses.

10 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Great win! 

Sinani’s goal - what on earth is the Huddersfield keeper doing? Or is it just me? 

I think he hit it a bit early. One of the main attributes a good goalscorer needs is the ability to strike when the opposition aren't expecting it.

Edited by ron obvious

27 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:
27 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

How you justify those comments… Be really interested to read your explanation!

What’s a Dean Smith style team for starters.    All I’ve heard on here and in the media is ‘we have no identity’ but I’m not convinced Dean Smith has a particular lump it long style!    Am convinced however we have lots of fans that falsely assume that’s his style but co of lent back it up!    Here’s your chance!   

Edited by ged in the onion bag

23 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

How you justify those comments… Be really interested to read your explanation!

What’s a Dean Smith style team for starters.    All I’ve heard on here and in the media is ‘we have no identity’ but I’m not convinced Dean Smith has a particular lump it long style!    Am convinced however we have lots of fans that falsely assume that’s his style but co of lent back it up!    Here’s your chance!   

Fair question. Last night (and versus Wigan and Hull) I actually didn't think we looked so very different to the football we played under Farke (obviously minus some personnel). We have pinned teams in, our possession stats have been very high and a frustrating ability (at times) to score more. As a spectacle though I've enjoyed many passages of play. There's a very good team (or teams) in there. In fact we look a top six team at least. I certainly don't see a relegation type team.

So what is Team Smith? I can only look to Brentford under him (expansive and expressive) and Villa (likewise expansive). Does he even need to have a style? As Warnock used to joke "you mean like a winning one". I'm no Smith lover but neither do I think he is completely wrong for us. I want him to have some time unlike quite a few on here. I want that precisely because of the football I'm watching in the Championship. Early days. But if we are to continue being expansive and expressive then that's fine by me. His subs last night and bigger decisions were not reactive but very positive ones.

I'm looking forward to us trying at first to get into the top 6. I see a very decent team on the pitch. I'm far more positive than last year.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Fair question. Last night (and versus Wigan and Hull) I actually didn't think we looked so very different to the football we played under Farke (obviously minus some personnel). We have pinned teams in, our possession stats have been very high and a frustrating ability (at times) to score more. As a spectacle though I've enjoyed many passages of play. There's a very good team (or teams) in there. In fact we look a top six team at least. I certainly don't see a relegation type team.

So what is Team Smith? I can only look to Brentford under him (expansive and expressive) and Villa (likewise expansive). Does he even need to have a style? As Warnock used to joke "you mean like a winning one". I'm no Smith lover but neither do I think he is completely wrong for us. I want him to have some time unlike quite a few on here. I want that precisely because of the football I'm watching in the Championship. Early days. But if we are to continue being expansive and expressive then that's fine by me. His subs last night and bigger decisions were not reactive but very positive ones.

I'm looking forward to us trying at first to get into the top 6. I see a very decent team on the pitch. I'm far more positive than last year.

Pretty similar viewpoint to you!    There is not a major difference in footballing style from Farke, or indeed in options for an alternative style, since sadly that would require personnel we don’t seem to have.   Quality centre forwards like Holt and wingers who can cross the ball for example.   

A fundamental problem at the moment isn’t us, it’s the opponents setting up to screen our passing play (respecting us) but only a few fans can recognise and understand that even when it’s written in capitols on here!    It’s difficult then to breakdown so the possession stats are to be expected just as the lack of easy goal chances.   They set up to catch us on the counter and it seems we’ve played into that tactic too naively, hence we’ve been undone!   But these are common situations and we’ll get better at dealing with it.   

No doubt we will be upper half and probably top six come the end but my major issue is we aren’t actually set up to go for promotion which I fear wouldn’t go well again.    We need more time, patience and strategy!   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Eh? We didn't punt it long at all. We overplayed with too many short passing if anything. Interesting to see people make things up out of thin air to suit a narrative 🙂

2 hours ago, Newtopia said:

If Sargent scores 3 in 3 before Pukki comes back, Sargent will keep his place.  I genuinely think Sargent suits the rest of the team play better than Pukki, just hoping Pukki comes back into form, I have this horrible feeling some club is sniffing around him. (BTW this has no basis of fact)

I had a similar thought, curious about how genuine this pukki injury is. 

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

Sargent does seem able to get on the end of crosses. It provides a different option.

Lots of very encouraging performances last night - Sinani, Dowell and Gibbs. And I felt far happier with Kenny at LB than Lungi.

One thing I've not read here from last night is Max's performance. He was everywhere, competent in defence (you can often rely on him to cover well) but he is a terrific outlet going forward. 

I don't think there is a better RB in the Championship. A great game from him. What an engine on him and a complete athlete. Lucky to still have him.

For me MA has been our best / stand out performer and has pretty much gone unrecognised for his performances. Many positives from last night, with the usual shakey end to the game. Lets hope we can build confidence from this point and get that LB on loan so we can push on. I would be interested to hear some opinions on Sara, who I think other than a couple of shots looks a little lost. I appreciate he regaining match fitness etc, but I was led to believe he was more of a box to box midfielder but looks more static, rather than the former. I also appreciate Dean Smith may of told him to play a more rigid role.

Edited by jaberry2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I had a similar thought, curious about how genuine this pukki injury is. 

Had a similar thought to but no fears… just think what our scouts can do with £10m!!!! 🤬

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

In fairness to Sargent he’s never really been given a go centrally. He looked much more suited to that role and his hold up play was good which, with that three behind him, is a good option for us to have.

Annoyingly find myself agreeing with most of your posts today. I agree, I've been a staunch defender of the role Hugill could play for us but he was absolutely dreadful when he came on, any ball into him he was far too slow to trap and hold onto and it caused us most of our problems in the latter stages of the game to be honest with you.

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Annoyingly find myself agreeing with most of your posts today. I agree, I've been a staunch defender of the role Hugill could play for us but he was absolutely dreadful when he came on, any ball into him he was far too slow to trap and hold onto and it caused us most of our problems in the latter stages of the game to be honest with you.

The problem is players are having to fill other unrecognised/unpreferred roles in the team. Sargeant was always going to deliver more of a threat centrally and with Pukki injured, he took his chance. He was only playing wide right due to the lack of good performances from Rashica, but thats another subject. The main thing is getting players playing in the sole positions and get minutes under the belt. With new players getting more minutes things should only really improve from here, especially with a much need confidence boost against Millwall. 

Sargent scored and made a nuisance of himself in the air. So no complaints at all about his performance last night. Long term is what we are looking for now. And we will only see if he is the player they thought they were buying if he plays all the time. It will be a problem for Deano if Teemu is fit quickly. Its in Sarge's hands.

I think the five subs rule can benefit a club like us with a bigger and better squad than most in this division. As long as we can keep this midfield domination we have in matches and not concede silly goals like last night again, then the ability to say so and so isn't performing but I can bring so and so on early on then we should have an advantage.

2 hours ago, sonyc said:

Max was excellent, let’s hope he’s still here come the window closing as we are already rebuilding/firefighting so many other positions.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

I will post something about Delia later so we can have an argument and resume normal service!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Max was excellent, let’s hope he’s still here come the window closing as we are already rebuilding/firefighting so many other positions.

Max has been great last few games. really looks back to his best. Regardless of what division we are in just seems to have his pace and mojo back. Confidence I guess. Lets hope this upturn in form continues beyond the end of the transfer window if he's still with us!

1 hour ago, jaberry2 said:

The problem is players are having to fill other unrecognised/unpreferred roles in the team. Sargeant was always going to deliver more of a threat centrally and with Pukki injured, he took his chance. He was only playing wide right due to the lack of good performances from Rashica, but thats another subject. The main thing is getting players playing in the sole positions and get minutes under the belt. With new players getting more minutes things should only really improve from here, especially with a much need confidence boost against Millwall. 

I think Sargent is a good player to have in the team v Millwall full stop. I've not seen much of them this season but they've always tended to be quite physical and strong in the air. Having seen they scored two late goals yesterday through own goals I would speculate that set pieces may have been involved. Our midfielders are all quite small so having Sargent in their does give us a bit more height at set pieces. 

3 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Although he did nearly score with a header.

2 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

No doubt we will be upper half and probably top six come the end but my major issue is we aren’t actually set up to go for promotion which I fear wouldn’t go well again.    We need more time, patience and strategy!   

This exactly. Not sure why there hasn't been more discussion about this. What are we trying to do differently to ensure that we are more competitive when we next get promoted?

So all of a sudden Sargent is the answer to  our prayers after a goal last night, even though he still couldn’t control a ball properly half the time?

Too many people going overboard as usual after a decent performance, let’s see if he can do it regularly before thinking he’s the second coming of Pukki!