Sign in to follow this  
chicken

****Official Lapps Match Thread v Huddersfield (L/h) *****

1 hour ago, Robert N. LiM said:

This exactly. Not sure why there hasn't been more discussion about this. What are we trying to do differently to ensure that we are more competitive when we next get promoted?

Well I think if you look at the profile of the players being brought in they do seem to fit the bill more in terms of athleticism. Nunez isn't big but he seems to have a low centre of gravity and a huge work rate. Sara not quite there yet but we are told one of his best attributes is he covers huge amounts of ground over the 90 minutes. Hayden is a big, strong unit who could yet transform us defensively if he ever gets fit. The left back we've been linked to today is over 6 foot and looks quick and strong. So I can at least see that this summer, the recruitment does seem to be making us a more "athletic" squad with a bit more dynamism, especially if you factor in the return of Onel and Omobamidele's return to fitness. 

11 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

So I can at least see that this summer, the recruitment does seem to be making us a more "athletic" squad with a bit more dynamism, especially if you factor in the return of Onel and Omobamidele's return to fitness. 

Yes, agree with that. I was thinking more in terms of tactics and patterns of play, but you're absolutely right that we need more physicality/dynamism. We just seemed so soft on our last two visits to the PL.

On 16/08/2022 at 23:23, All the Germans said:

I'd pick Pukki over Sargent all day long but wasn't his shot that you say was bad blocked by a defender that then fell to Sinani? On first viewing it looked like a wildly sliced, poor kick, but on replays it looks blocked by the defender?

I was right behind Sargents shot that led to the 2nd goal and it looked like a wild hack to me

23 hours ago, chicken said:

I think most people would. Lets all be honest here though, if given a scenario where Pukki is out for 3 weeks and he comes back to a Sargent who has scored in three consecutive games and the team around him is working like a well oiled machine... it isn't such an easy prospect anymore. 

Would Pukki have scored that header - hand on heart? No. 

It was a brilliant header I agree, I was screaming Sargents name when that went in. I hope Sargent gets a run as lone striker to prove me wrong, but he seems shot of any confidence with the ball at his feet in front of goal. 

15 hours ago, sonyc said:

Sargent does seem able to get on the end of crosses. It provides a different option.

Lots of very encouraging performances last night - Sinani, Dowell and Gibbs. And I felt far happier with Kenny at LB than Lungi.

One thing I've not read here from last night is Max's performance. He was everywhere, competent in defence (you can often rely on him to cover well) but he is a terrific outlet going forward. 

I don't think there is a better RB in the Championship. A great game from him. What an engine on him and a complete athlete. Lucky to still have him.

Agreed I thought Aarons and Sinani were the best players on the pitch. Fair play to Jones as well he turned Hanley inside out and scored a brilliant solo goal for them. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

At no point last night did we “punt it long” in fact we arguably overplayed at times in the final third. 

Agree with all this. My biggest frustration was poor crossing from Aarons and Sinani, they rarely beat the first defender. The one time Sinani crossed it deeper Sargent scored.