Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

England v Sweden

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

Indeed they do and I have to admit that I enjoyed some of those games a lot more than some at CR last season. A lot more enthusiasm than skill on show but still a good watch. I see no need to make comparisons, we all know where the top skill level lies but you can still enjoy a close game at whatever level.

Agreed. I thoroughly enjoyed my years involved in u11 - u16 footy, whatever the level, they play their hearts out .

Anyway guys, time to focus on what’s important, Luca has just stormed out of the villa after an argument with Gemma!

4 minutes ago, Rivvo said:

Anyway guys, time to focus on what’s important, Luca has just stormed out of the villa after an argument with Gemma!

Ah your kidding me bruv!

No it’s true bruv, it’s all a storm in a teacup but that sort of s h I t sticks 🙁

3 hours ago, Captain Holt said:

Every time I watch the women's game I cringe at the keepers. It's not their fault but they're just too short. Not sure what they can do other than lower the bar 🤔 

Mary earps has made this comment look rather ridiculous tonight 

great spectacle and this tournament will do wonders for the ladies game in England 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Agreed. I thoroughly enjoyed my years involved in u11 - u16 footy, whatever the level, they play their hearts out .

Nailed it. I refereed that for years, and would have kept at it if it hadn't been for a veritable litany of ankle injuries back then, although nowadays I just help out a local girls team when my own sporting commitments allow. Women's football is enjoyable to watch, partially for the reasons @Fiery Zac correctly mentioned. 

If I watch Neymar, the first thing I start thinking is "if that prat dived when I tackled him I'd fu*king boot his fu*king mush straight into the fu*king dugout!" And he's supposed to be one of the best players in the world. It's not all about the pure quality of football played, although women's football has definitely made considerable strides over the last twenty years.

When I watch it, it almost feels like pro football, but without the money having stolen its soul yet.

Edited by TheGunnShow

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Nailed it. I refereed that for years, and would have kept at it if it hadn't been for a veritable litany of ankle injuries back then, although nowadays I just help out a local girls team when my own sporting commitments allow. Women's football is enjoyable to watch, partially for the reasons @Fiery Zac correctly mentioned. 

If I watch Neymar, the first thing I start thinking is "if that prat dived when I tackled him I'd fu*king boot his fu*king mush straight into the fu*king dugout!" And he's supposed to be one of the best players in the world. It's not all about the pure quality of football played, although women's football has definitely made considerable strides over the last twenty years.

When I watch it, it almost feels like pro football, but without the money having stolen its soul yet.

Give it time  Gunnso .

2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Give it time  Gunnso .

Aye, and that's the bit that makes me a bit melancholic, but I'll enjoy its relative purity for now.

Fantastic spectacle and hugely entertaining game. Lionesses roaring on and inspiring millions, which is not an understatement and also not to be derided, whether you’re a poster commenting on enjoying it or otherwise, this is irrefutable fact. Also I’d challenge anyone to claim this is not fantastic for the sport overall. Audiences otherwise untapped are being tempted to the table by great role models. 

It’s bloody well comin home 

• Like 2

An amazing evening, this generation of teenagers must think qualifying for semi finals is easy and finals are regular occurrences - opposed to my years and years of gut wrenching experiences.

well done England

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billyboybunters said:

That ozzy t w a t that played for us in goal would have let it slip 😂🤣

The Aussie t w a t as you so put  went on to play around 150 games for one of Australia's top team Brisbane Roar

• Haha 2

I confess that was the first women's match I've watched from start to finish and I really enjoyed it. As someone else has said, comparisons to the men's game are pointless but ignoring everything else they are tremendous athletes who were still sprinting at the end - I'd love to see their running stats. The ref was still carp though!

Good to watch a game with no macho stuff or cheating going on tbh.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, daly said:

The Aussie t w a t as you so put  went on to play around 150 games for one of Australia's top team Brisbane Roar

Shows the standard in the league then doesn’t it really?!

8 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

He can hardly be out of touch if he watches it regularly as he does 

8 hours ago, ricardo said:

Indeed they do and I have to admit that I enjoyed some of those games a lot more than some at CR last season. A lot more enthusiasm than skill on show but still a good watch. I see no need to make comparisons, we all know where the top skill level lies but you can still enjoy a close game at whatever level.

Wrong again Bootso. 

Stick to your Cult .

Amen.

1 hour ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Great match with great goals.

The women's game is getting netter and stronger with each and every international tournament. 

People can mock it and ridicule it all they want, but I suspect that this clip with shut up a few of those people: 

If anyone is worried about the condition of Neynar. He's out of ER and I hear that he's now breathing unassisted. 

Wow he's tougher than I thought!! That was a career ending challenge if ever I saw one.😇😇😇😇

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Ooh really really touchy! And for no reason really. But I guess virtue signallers gotta virtue signal…

And I guess idiots have to find fault rather than celebrate a final reached. 

I think this is great for womens football in this country, and I don't mind the games to be honest, once you watch enough of them you just mentally separate it from the mens game and start to appreciate it for what it is.

Never going to be anywhere near as big as the mens sport, but would be good if it could grow enough that the top tier of womens football could be all professional like League Two, rather than half pro and half semi pro like it is now (like the Conference Prem).

Do think they should reduce the size of the goals by about 15% though, just so the keepers can reach the top corners. That's the one aspect I can't quite get over.

59 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

And I guess idiots have to find fault rather than celebrate a final reached. 

Maybe if they stopped the 'bringing football home' nonsense I wouldn't find the current hype so nauseating.

25 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I think this is great for womens football in this country, and I don't mind the games to be honest, once you watch enough of them you just mentally separate it from the mens game and start to appreciate it for what it is.

Never going to be anywhere near as big as the mens sport, but would be good if it could grow enough that the top tier of womens football could be all professional like League Two, rather than half pro and half semi pro like it is now (like the Conference Prem).

Do think they should reduce the size of the goals by about 15% though, just so the keepers can reach the top corners. That's the one aspect I can't quite get over.

Last point is key for me. 

However, some really good build up play last night which for me is more impressive than the goals themselves (for the reasons above).

Well done England!

12 hours ago, daly said:

I'm guessing you've never seen the A-League in action.

It's something........

Here's my two pennies for what it's worth (or not), I'm not a fan of the women's game for no other reason than I just don't enjoy it, I watched the Austria game and didn't feel any interest in it, no biggy. I live in a house with 3 females none of whom are interested, I've offered many times to take my youngest daughter but she doesn't want to go, whilst jumping at the chance to come to Norwich games with me.

HOWEVER I see no reason to belittle the game or those that enjoy it. I just wish people on both sides of the argument stop comparing it to the men's game, it's never ever going to be as good so those of you anti it stop using that as a stick to beat it with.

Similarly the media need to stop combining records of the 2 sports, unless Ellen White grows a todger, gets called up by Southgate then she's not beating Rooneys record, she's as close to it as I am. Also I heard Sam Twatterface earlier say 'can they win the first major trophy in 56 yesrs', no Sam they can't as they didn't win one 56 years ago they can however win their first ever trophy. 

3 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

It's the same for both teams the goal size , it's up to the attacking side to take advantage , the standard has been a lot higher than I would have expected , it does seem a bit weird that the side world ranked no2 has not won a major trophy for 39 years thou.

1 minute ago, Canary dwarf said:

it does seem a bit weird that the side world ranked no2 has not won a major trophy for 39 years thou.

Being ranked number 2 now doesn't mean they've been that good for the whole 39 years?

USA dominated the sport for decades.

Growing womens football must be one of the few good things the USA has done for global sports.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

3 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I though that the Super League was fully professional, (I think it's subsadised) but fully professional none the less. The Championship below it is like the Mens NLS/NLN a few Pro Clubs and the rest are Semi-Pro (I think). It won't happen but I'd like to see at the very least the top two tiers of womans football fully Pro if they aren't already and then a few pro clubs below that level.

4 minutes ago, CrankyCanary said:

I though that the Super League was fully professional, (I think it's subsadised) but fully professional none the less. The Championship below it is like the Mens NLS/NLN a few Pro Clubs and the rest are Semi-Pro (I think). It won't happen but I'd like to see at the very least the top two tiers of womans football fully Pro if they aren't already and then a few pro clubs below that level.

Oh, I didn't realise that!  

Thanks for clarifying.

20 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Being ranked number 2 now doesn't mean they've been that good for the whole 39 years?

USA dominated the sport for decades.

Growing womens football must be one of the few good things the USA has done for global sports.

Yeah the American Womens Professional league is older than me, I think it's the oldest Pro womens league ever and by a country mile.

3 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

And back to the anti Catholic prejudice. Nice 

I meant the Cult of getting just about everything Ar5e about face, but if you want to feel persecuted , Amen to that to. No one would know you are a Catholic until you tried to convince everyone that your beliefs are the right ones, which for you , they are. For the rest of humanity, with enquiring minds, not so much. 

6 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

It's unnecessary, would place a financial burden on depleted grassroots clubs and is only seems to be an issue in the minds of people who don't watch a great deal. As I said on another thread; 

I think this is another one of those myths. People hear "women goalies are cack" and it makes sense to them, the goals are the same size as men's and the women are smaller, so they latch on to it and treat it as gospel and espouse the need to shrink the goals.

However, based on the last 7 European Championships, the average goals per game in the women's is 2.69 compared to the men's 2.02. Not exactly poles apart, and when you factor in the fact that there are invariably more mismatches in women's tournaments by virtue of the vastly reduced number of competitive nations compared to the men's games, the women's has a disadvantage when it comes to bringing that number down.

A fairer metric might be to look at the average goals per game in a Semi-Final, once games have got to a point where only the competitive sides remain. Based on the last 6 Euros, the average goals per game in a semi-final fixture is 2.33 for women and 2 for men. Any even less significant difference.

Given the logistical nightmare of mandating women to use different goals to men at grassroots level (and smaller pitches, as some seem to suggest) and the fact that you seem to be looking to fix a problem that only exists in some imaginations, it's not a very sensible idea.

And it's not just the international game where there is no huge disparity. In the season just gone, the WSL averaged 2.91 goals per game whilst the EPL were less than one tenth behind on 2.82.