Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

*Norwich V Hibs semi-official match thread*

Just now, Capt. Pants said:

Fcuk knows. I'm not bothering.

The spats have started mid game so I assume it's a load of **** to watch.

It’s pretty ridiculous isn’t it - this is hardly a first XI and even moreso a scratch defence, we’re clearly protecting players who are stiff/got a knock yesterday.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Are we playing well and did everyone pay to watch this match? 

The current score is 'Dean Coney's Boots 3 Chicken 1' at half time. 

OTBC

Edited by Disco Dales Jockstrap
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Sunday’s are gold dust, two thirds enhancement on your hourly rate. Full house of staff and half the residents are sleeping. 

Sir, should I ever have the pleasure of your company I shall buy you a bevvy. Care workers are legends. I'm not just saying that because I am one... but perhaps because I know how bloody hard it is. Hats off to you.

I should probably have elected to sleeping today as well. Especially after yesterday, far too much excitement.

Edited by chicken
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Had to close the tab & reopen.

Fecking magic.

I was casting and it suddenly reappeared without any sort of refresh. Not sure how much of the second half was missed as there, err, isn't a clock or scores on the screen...

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It’s pretty ridiculous isn’t it - this is hardly a first XI and even moreso a scratch defence, we’re clearly protecting players who are stiff/got a knock yesterday.  

Don't let that distract from the fact that we're doooommmeeddd this is the year the star spangled team in blue take over and we linger in lower leagues! 

WONT SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

The current score is 'Dean Coney's Boots 3 Chicken 1' at half time. 

OTBC

Commentator: Strange things happening at half time, Dean Coney's Boots is walking around the pitch yelling loudly and wagging his finger furiously at anyone with a rainbow somewhere on their clothing. Chicken on the other hand is demanding to know why it isn't a foul to be crucified on the centre circle for the first 40mins of a game whilst the groundsmen tried to get him down... Even more baffled are the crowd who can't understand how it's only 3-1... 

Edited by chicken

I'm so glad we're in for another midfielder. Bar the banger Sorensen has not impressed me at all this summer, at least not in midfield.

40 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Isn't that how the 'z' at the end of Spanish surnames is pronounced though?

However as Argos is Cuban, there is no "th" sound and it should be a "z". No lisp outside of Spain

Just now, KeiranShikari said:

I'm so glad we're in for another midfielder. Bar the banger Sorensen has not impressed me at all this summer, at least not in midfield.

He definitely comes across far too soft. Needs to be far more tenacious, beef up and put himself about a bit. No chance of him controlling a game which is what we desperately need from a midfielder. Hopefully at least one of Sara or Hayden will solve that particular identity crisis

Just now, AJ said:

He definitely comes across far too soft. Needs to be far more tenacious, beef up and put himself about a bit. No chance of him controlling a game which is what we desperately need from a midfielder. Hopefully at least one of Sara or Hayden will solve that particular identity crisis

I've always thought he looked too passive. No surprise that neither of the managers have particularly fancied him as a defensive midfielder.

3 minutes ago, Canario said:

However as Argos is Cuban, there is no "th" sound and it should be a "z". No lisp outside of Spain

Just trying to find something to back this up as it's piqued my interest. Got any links for that, please?

13 minutes ago, pete said:

Unexpected poor communication by this football club

To be fair they are currently clearing up after the fan Q&A this morning….

3 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Just trying to find something to back this up as it's piqued my interest. Got any links for that, please?

Yeah, I just did a quick google search. It's pronounced "th" in Castilian Spanish, from what I can see, Latin American Spanish comes . So they pronounce S and Z as we do and not as a "th". 

https://www.lawlessspanish.com/pronunciation/z/

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Canario said:

Is it true that the lisp only come about to appease one of the in-bred Hapsburg kings?

Just now, Canario said:

Live out in Mexico but after a quick Google this should explain it https://www.speakeasybcn.com/en/blog/the-differences-between-spanish-in-spain-and-latin-america

Excellent. Had found a Wiki but it didn't quite seem to cover it, then went on YouTube and had my doubts about the videos (HowToPronounce isn't reliable, discovered that with their pronounciation of Mariehamn).

9 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

As far as I remember, it is said that the Spanish king, Ferninand, had a lisp, so he said "th" instead of "s" (imagine Toyah Wilcox in a tiara). So courtiers being the creeps they are, everyone started to mimic the king. However, other regions had a counter-reaction to this and deliberately refused to use "th" because they resented the power of Madrid. So Castilian Spanish has "th" but most other varieties of Spanish, even within Spain, do not.

However, I am now looking at a website which is stating that this is a urban myth. 

So who knows?

• Thanks 1

Just now, canarybubbles said:

As far as I remember, it is said that the Spanish king, Ferninand, had a lisp, so he said "th" instead of "s" (imagine Toyah Wilcox in a tiara). So courtiers being the creeps they are, everyone started to mimic the king. However, other regions had a counter-reaction to this and deliberately refused to use "th" because they resented the power of Madrid. So Castilian Spanish has "th" but most other varieties of Spanish, even within Spain, do not.

However, I am now looking at a website which is stating that this is a urban myth. 

So who knows?

To be fair, @Canario and @chicken have provided what look like sound links, so question's answered. Nice background story though, and wouldn't surprise me either way!

2 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

So who knows?

It's got to be this one surely??

King Charles II of Spain by John Closterman.jpg

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

It's got to be this one surely??

King Charles II of Spain by John Closterman.jpg

That's a serious lower lip, isn't it?

Is anything happening in the football?

Just now, canarybubbles said:

Losing

1 minute ago, canarybubbles said:

I'm guessing not!! Have we had a shot on target yet?