12 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

First Brazilian-born, as Paul Hughes was half-Brazilian.

Every day is a learning day. Genuinely didn't know that, nor did I realise after his loan with us, his career sort of dwindled which is a real shame as he looked quite promising.

Back to Sara though, it does seem like everyone and their dog has had a Brazilian play for them. Are there any other teams that have never had a Brazilian play for them and been in the top flight over the last 20yrs?

Potentially, this is one of our most exciting ever. Looking forward to him turning it on. We have been blessed for so long with a magician in midfield (I still think Wes was better than Emi) and last season it showed how we missed that player.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

Potentially, this is one of our most exciting ever. Looking forward to him turning it on. We have been blessed for so long with a magician in midfield (I still think Wes was better than Emi) and last season it showed how we missed that player.

I don't think this guy is going to be the "magician" as you call it. 

4 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I would have to agree at this point KG. Wes certainly achieved more in being a part of teams under two different managers who managed to maintain premier league football for three seasons. Not to mention the promotions. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chicken said:

Back to Sara though, it does seem like everyone and their dog has had a Brazilian play for them. Are there any other teams that have never had a Brazilian play for them and been in the top flight over the last 20yrs?

My basic research seems to indicate Sheffield United and Burnley, unsurprisingly, and also Palace and Leicester, which is somewhat more surprising 

I could be wrong though, and there are probably others.

5 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I don't think this guy is going to be the "magician" as you call it. 

Yeah I think people still see he's Brazilian and expect creativity which isn't his game.

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah I think people still see he's Brazilian and expect creativity which isn't his game.

Well the club have called him an attacking midfielder. And whilst creativity may not be as central to his game as, say Hoolahan, I think it is fair to say he has skill, can dribble and seemingly can pick a pass. I think the thing is, he is also fairly robust and gets up and down, so his focus isn't purely on creativity.

Someone else said he sounds/seems a bit like Howson. I think I would go with that. On the eye perhaps never seemed a "creative" player, but Howson certainly made us 'tick'. 

29 minutes ago, chicken said:

Well the club have called him an attacking midfielder. And whilst creativity may not be as central to his game as, say Hoolahan, I think it is fair to say he has skill, can dribble and seemingly can pick a pass. I think the thing is, he is also fairly robust and gets up and down, so his focus isn't purely on creativity.

Someone else said he sounds/seems a bit like Howson. I think I would go with that. On the eye perhaps never seemed a "creative" player, but Howson certainly made us 'tick'. 

Yeah Howson seems a good comp.

I'm just worried people are going to be pissed off as they'll expect Ronaldinho and instead get John McGinn.

9 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'm just worried people are going to be pissed off as they'll expect Ronaldinho and instead get John McGinn.

I've got an upgraded Stipermann in my head.

The only thing worrying me is how OTT the clubs social media team are being over this, last time they went into hype overdrive like this we had 'who's afraid of the big bad Wolf'..... 🤪

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ken Hairy said:

The only thing worrying me is how OTT the clubs social media team are being over this, last time they went into hype overdrive like this we had 'who's afraid of the big bad Wolf'..... 🤪

Oh, did that not end well?🤩

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, PurpleCanary said:

Oh, did that not end well?🤩

Well if only Snoddy had let him take that penalty and if only we'd have built our entire team around him and if we'd given him a chance in the Championship and if...

30 minutes ago, king canary said:

I wouldn't complain if we get a clone of John McGinn and his super-powered ar$e.

11 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

I don't know, they went pretty big for Sargent as well. 

Oh...

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

Well if only Snoddy had let him take that penalty and if only we'd have built our entire team around him and if we'd given him a chance in the Championship and if...

Indeed. Since this original thread has been revived I will make the point I made on the other upstart (!) thread, that the pink up’s comment that the deal is worth an initial £6m is probably wrong.

The deal is initially worth whatever the agreed basic transfer fee is, which by all previous accounts is seemingly between £9m and £11m.

That the first instalment in this case is supposedly around £6m - São Paulo apparently wanted more than half the basic fee to be paid in the first instalment - does not mean that is what the deal is initially worth. 

13 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Binners have had their say, all down to parchutes according to them..

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/538050/them-lot-have-splashed-the-cash/#12

Well tbh, it kinda is. The fact that we have those parachute payments by being a substantially better football team than them for a number of years is the bit they are ignoring.

Edited by 1902
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Binners have had their say, all down to parchutes according to them..

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/538050/them-lot-have-splashed-the-cash/#12

All down to parachute payments and they don't like it, but had it just been financed by new investors they'd be saying with that foreign money they wouldn't have that advantage. Can't win these days I guess 🤣

Considering the big deal lots made on here about his injury, it sounds like he's joined up with training already?

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Considering the big deal lots made on here about his injury, it sounds like he's joined up with training already?

Indeed! Dean Smith said:

"He’s in the latter stages of his recovery from injury, so I expect him to come straight back in and join the squad for training ahead of our first game of the season.” https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2022-07-15/norwich-city-add-some-samba-flair-as-brazilian-midfielder-joins

Great that we’ve got it finalised - hopefully the usual ‘expensive signing curse’ won’t hit and he’ll be a star for us.  Now to get him fully fit and ready to play…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

First Brazilian-born, as Paul Hughes was half-Brazilian.

This very Pink Un says City's first Brazilian born player since Edward Laxton back in 1920...cant say i remember him.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I agree about Wes👍🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

I feel like Hayden and Sara side by side can give us a good base in the centre of the field to then allow players like Rashica to shine. Just constantly scratching my head at why we didn't address this last season though when it was so, so obvious we needed to replace Skipp and the defensive side of Emi Buendia. On this logic I take it that means when Pukki finally leaves us we'll sign a replacement striker about 2 seasons later 😅

• Thanks 1

When I hear Sara called 'creative' my impression is that he'll be the pass-before-the-pass. Cute turn, drive on, get the ball to the attacking players to do the damage. 

Big ol risk this one. Can't say we don't try things.

• Like 1

Hopefully decent spent a long time scouting him, and he seemed to be a target they wanted, he may take some time settling in, as never been out of Brazil.

40 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

This very Pink Un says City's first Brazilian born player since Edward Laxton back in 1920...cant say i remember him.

Bloody hell. 

At the start, Sara was our first Brazilian player.

Then they discovered Paul Hughes had a Brazilian mother.

So Sara became our first Brazilian-born player.

Then this Edward Laxton fella turns up.

So now Sara is our first Brazilian-born player of Brazilian origin?

I'm just waiting for the TNC crew to suddenly discover that Mark Fotheringham has been living under a secret identity for the past few decades and he's really Marcos Fozzinho from the Amazon basin.

• Haha 1