Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Vincent Kompany on his way to Burnley

I have absolutely no idea - there’s no reason for it to be particularly successful or otherwise.  Had it been our appointment I’m not sure what I’d make of it!

Interesting. You wouldn't expect a Vincent Kompany side to play like Dyche's. I hope the transition takes a while!

Looks like the £65million millstone hanging around their neck is not holding back ambition.

11 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I have absolutely no idea - there’s no reason for it to be particularly successful or otherwise.  Had it been our appointment I’m not sure what I’d make of it!

Fair to say it's a big gamble, even more so with the debt and problems Burnley are in. .From a quick look at social media does seem a lot of Anderlecht fans are very angry he's left them though..

15 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Looks like the £65million millstone hanging around their neck is not holding back ambition.

Kompany ambition 🤫😉

33 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Because they have appointed a manager...?🤔

42 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I would hazard a guess if their financial situation is as bad as rumoured they will have to double down and give it a massive push this season to get back immediately 

• Like 1

Well we'll have to wait and see if Kompany's a good appointment for Accrington Stanley's second eleven.....

Craig Bellamy will be following then. left Anderlecht as he wanted to be back in the UK.

Have to say, I'm a little envious at that pairing, sounds like a winning duo to me. 

24 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Craig Bellamy will be following then. left Anderlecht as he wanted to be back in the UK.

Have to say, I'm a little envious at that pairing, sounds like a winning duo to me. 

Not to me it doesn't , big Vince is use to big time top performers , he ain't getting that at Burnley.😗

1 minute ago, Canary dwarf said:

Not to me it doesn't , big Vince is use to big time top performers , he ain't getting that at Burnley.😗

There's no superstars at Anderlecht.

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

New owners going for a big-name player with a short and so far not very impressive record as a manager? It is certainly meant to look ambitious…

• Like 1

Confucius says : Manchester based player who was good does not guarantee a manager make 

(Or maybe that was Master Yoda?)

Roy Keane is watching

Didn't even realise he was managing Anderlecht. Decent win% but don't know much about Belgian league to ascertain anything from that.

I'd feel more concerned if he was playing for them in all honesty.  You just know he'd repeat that long range worldy against us.

10 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

New owners going for a big-name player with a short and so far not very impressive record as a manager? It is certainly meant to look ambitious…

People have weird definitions of ambition on here.

I'd feel a tad nervous about his appointment if I was a Burnley fan. He's had a tough time as boss at Anderlecht with fans protesting poor results, a demotion and a caretaker manager coming in. It doesn't help the club are a bit of a mess right now, but I wouldn't be filled with confidence. 

Maybe it'll work out, however he doesn't have a lot of managerial experience to fall back on, and Burnley aren't in a position to spend years in the Championship while he finds his feet.

11 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

A bit like Palace appointing Vieira you mean as that has backfired spectacularly hasn't it ? I seem to be remeber that appointment being treated with distain on here as he came from the mighty New York Cosmos.

Burnley have grasped the nettle having been relegated and no i have no idea if it will work but meanwhile we will plod along with Dean Smith and keep our fingers crossed.

50 minutes ago, hogesar said:

People have weird definitions of ambition on here.

Maybe they do but Dean Smith certainly isn't and never was a sign of ambition once Farke was fired.

52 minutes ago, Legend Iwan said:

Maybe it'll work out, however he doesn't have a lot of managerial experience to fall back on, and Burnley aren't in a position to spend years in the Championship while he finds his feet.

On the flipside he's well loved at the Etihad, could get some very talented loans coming in, plus those at Anderlecht?

I don't know what kind of players are hovering around that pool, but it's never a bad thing to have the contacts and reputation he carries as a player to bring in championship performers.

24 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Maybe they do but Dean Smith certainly isn't and never was a sign of ambition once Farke was fired.

Dean Smith with Shakespeare have considerably better credentials than Kompany, so no idea what your point is in trying to compare.

30 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

A bit like Palace appointing Vieira you mean as that has backfired spectacularly hasn't it ? I seem to be remeber that appointment being treated with distain on here as he came from the mighty New York Cosmos.

Burnley have grasped the nettle having been relegated and no i have no idea if it will work but meanwhile we will plod along with Dean Smith and keep our fingers crossed.

No, i didn't mean that. If I had meant that I would have said so. Nor did I criticise Vieira's appointment, because such appointments do sometimes work (and the owners of Palace are not new to the game) and sometimes do not.

But what this Burnley choice smacks of is not sensible ambition based on a proven track record but a typical move by new owners picking a big name ex-player with a very moderate record as a manager because they think that it looks ambitious and that the fans will be amazed, and they don't know any better.

Another Bolton or Blackburn on the cards - they love doing this sort of thing in the North West, must be due to living in the shadows of the big boys that gives them delusions of grandeur.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Dean Smith with Shakespeare have considerably better credentials than Kompany, so no idea what your point is in trying to compare.

I very much enjoyed all the points those credentials have garnered us so far.....

• Haha 1

Just now, Unhinged Canary said:

I very much enjoyed all the points those credentials have garnered us so far.....

That's about as relevant to my points as me saying Kompany has managed 0 points for Burnley so far.

3 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Indeed, no one has any idea what Kompany will be like, but on the contrary the facts show that Dean Smith has a very good (proven) record in the Championship. So if any group of fans will need to be crossing their fingers it will be the Burnley fans.