The Real Buh

Only Norwich would hire Dean Smith

12 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Nope, didn't miss that Dan, but I'm just posing a question. Isn't that allowed?

Absolutely. There wouldn't be much activity on this board if silly questions weren't allowed.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

He's had around 30 competitive games now if we include cup games, and I think it's fair to say that, with the possible exception of Idah (although two games is much too small a sample to be sure), he has not improved a single player at the club. In fact, many of them - Aarons, Pukki, Gibson, Giannoulis - have gone backwards.

I'd agree those players have gone backwards, but you could counter that in that he's brought on Gibbs, Springett & Rowe. I'm a bit disappointed he's singled out Gian for a few errors, in the same way Farke did, which seems utterly wrong when the entire squad is playing poorly and making mistakes

5 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

I'd agree those players have gone backwards, but you could counter that in that he's brought on Gibbs, Springett & Rowe. I'm a bit disappointed he's singled out Gian for a few errors, in the same way Farke did, which seems utterly wrong when the entire squad is playing poorly and making mistakes

I accept he's brought IN Gibbs, Springett and Rowe, but I'm not sure he's brought them ON, if you see what I mean. One thing Farke was very good at was knowing when young players were ready for the challenge, throwing them in, and then giving them a run of games and a level of responsibility to prove themselves. I personally think he was doing this with Tzolis until the infamous penalty incident, which screwed everything up.

Let's see how we do Saturday. Cardiff was a bit lack lustre and we only showed a bit of passion when there was a scrap towards the end.

I'm expecting a reaction and we really get about Wigan. I'm yet to be convinced the players are fully behind the manager and really understand what they're are supposed to be doing on the pitch. It's a shame he hasn't got more players of his choice in the squad. I think it's going to be difficult for the South Americans to make their mark if the resident cosy club are on a different page.

11 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

Pukki going backwards is probably just him getting old and losing a bit of pace. How has Smith done that?

Pukki going backwards is probably because he has spent most of a season watching balls flying over his head and we either couldn't or wouldn't supply the through-balls he feeds on, under both Farke and Smith.

• Like 3

This forum is pessimistic. We are therefore nailed on for a good season (unless I have ruined it by saying that). Whenever we are excited we only disappoint.

That's not our fault, is the Norwich way, sign a league one journeyman with 3 goals in 270 games, he will probably become a club legend as he tears up defences for 5 seasons. Sign the next big thing, he will instantly become dross when he sets foot in Colney.

Edited by 1902

3 hours ago, Matt Morriss said:

he wasnt sacked with Villa mid-table. They were at the bottom looking at a relegation scrap with us when he was sacked.

Looking at a relegation scrap is perfectly reasonable territory for a team that has only been a couple of years up, especially when he was the manager that kept them up.

• Like 1

On 22/05/2022 at 21:06, Dean Coneys boots said:

I don’t think he’s a good fit for our club. Seems a massive step backwards from Farke, an old school English manager and not progressive.

On 22/05/2022 at 21:13, hogesar said:

No problem with people who think a change might be needed, that's an opinion which can hold some credibility. 

But even the most basic, basic level of reading research would tell you Dean Smith is absolutely no where near being an old school manager. The only bit you got right is that he's English....

.........and the bit that he's a massive step backwards from Farke!!

On 23/05/2022 at 09:53, TeemuVanBasten said:

Feel sorry for the bloke really, being judged on an inability to get this squad playing. 

Klopp would struggle to achieve 17th with this lot. 

Of course, Webber will LOVE this thread and threads like it, takes the heat off his awful recruitment and back onto the new fall guy. Enablers.

As long as Smith & Jones steer the ship failure is nailed on in the top league. The evidence is there to see and has been for ages. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

As long as Smith & Jones steer the ship failure is nailed on in the top league. The evidence is there to see and has been for ages. 

Looking elsewhere for why NCFC has become a laughing stock is pointless.

Smith and Jones are the blockage in the pipes and until they are flushed out the national embarrassment will ontinue.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Nora's Ghost said:

Smith and Jones are the blockage in the pipes and until they are flushed out the national embarrassment will ontinue.

‘National embarrassment’. The state of this post. No one outside this forum gives one almighty F*** about Norwich. A tiny handful of football supporters of other clubs (and some of our own) that are presently ‘better off’ than us (positionally) may well find us a tiny bit amusing for a fraction of time. The proportion of football supporters of other clubs (and our own) that are presently ‘worse off’ than us (positionally and financially) may well admire us and respect how we have got to where we have got to. 

Overall however, the vast majority of the football supporting world could not give a flying F*** as they’re all too busy losing their s*** about the perceived problems of their own club. 

You are a total clown if you give your own post any kind of serious airtime and no one will mind if you quite rightly just leave this post to the sands of time and put it down to being off your t*** on crystal meth. 

Edited by SwearyCanary
  • Like 4

On 23/05/2022 at 10:57, AJ said:

This pretty much sums up my feelings. Absolutely no problem with the board deciding that Farke had had enough time and things needed to change, but we really needed to replace him with someone who could take us forward. Dean Smith does not appear to be that man. What he appears to be is someone who said yes when Webber's shortlist was clearly buffed with rejections.

Thank God it wasn't Lampard though is the only thing I'm grateful for.

Sacking of managers is less a reflection of a manager's ability and more a reflection of the short attention spans and impatience around football. 

When you sack managers, you have available to you a very limited pool of people with the qualifications who are willing to take on the challenge. When Smith took over, we already looked odds on to be relegated; the fact he was even willing to make a go of a very difficult task that was odds on to fail speaks well of him. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 1

Wasn't Smith in the midst of a hefty old injury crisis when he got the boot from Villa?

6 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Sacking of managers is less a reflection of a manager's ability and more a reflection of the short attention spans and impatience around football. 

When you sack managers, you have available to you a very limited pool of people with the qualifications who are willing to take on the challenge. When Smith took over, we already looked odds on to be relegated; the fact he was even willing to make a go of a very difficult task that was odds on to fail speaks well of him. 

Well, it's not like he was getting offered a handsome sum for his efforts is it? Plenty of managers would take the job here, the club has a good reputation in the football world as well managed and relegation would mean another good chance at managerial silverware and a promotion on the CV. The question is more whether Smith was an improvement on Farke to take us forward. I still don't believe he is. We should never have sacked Farke without a prime target waiting to sign. Smith was a convenience rather than our prime target.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Wasn't Smith in the midst of a hefty old injury crisis when he got the boot from Villa?

I think the frustrations came from the fact they'd spent a lot of money and weren't really seeing the results on the pitch. Sound familiar?

4 minutes ago, AJ said:

Well, it's not like he was getting offered a handsome sum for his efforts is it? Plenty of managers would take the job here, the club has a good reputation in the football world as well managed and relegation would mean another good chance at managerial silverware and a promotion on the CV. The question is more whether Smith was an improvement on Farke to take us forward. I still don't believe he is. We should never have sacked Farke without a prime target waiting to sign. Smith was a convenience rather than our prime target.

You say that, so where were they? I didn't see much evidence of a clamour for the job. 

The fans making the atmosphere more and more toxic weren't going to hold off poisoning the atmosphere in favour of waiting for the right candidate to come along.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

42 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Yes 

“For the first 11 games of this season, he had been dealt a tough hand; tasked with improving on last season’s mid-table finish without Jack Grealish, and a stack of players, including big-money summer arrivals Leon Bailey, Danny Ings and Emiliano Buendia, suffering setbacks with injuries.”

40 minutes ago, AJ said:

I think the frustrations came from the fact they'd spent a lot of money and weren't really seeing the results on the pitch. Sound familiar?

Their big money signings weren’t on the pitch that much.

• Like 1

Weird to me that people say players went backwards under Smith, especially Pukki.

Pukki scored as many goals last season as he did that first season in the premier league.

I think I'm right in saying he scored 3 goals in the first 11 games under Farke.

Actually Pukki is a fairly decent barometer. When we had the majority of the squad available last season he had better form.

If you go back on this board to the point we were 4-5 games in to Smith's coaching you'll see a lot of optimism. People thought there was more fight, we were better defensively organised. We were creating more chances and getting more points.

The idea we need a manager that gets everything out of all of our players is a good one, but I'm not sure Farke was 100% that either. Honestly the Lambert-Culverhouse partnership is probably as close we have come to that in the last decade, probably Worthington before that.

Farke brough in a number of players he new and had worked with in Germany, a great example of it not being 100% Webber who signs the players. Even some of those he couldn't get the best out of.

6 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

The excuses pile up, even, it seems, for his record before joining us. As for since he joined us, 'He inherited an awful squad/he hasn't got his own players/he couldn't strengthen his squad in January/he hasn't been given enough time/he had terrible luck with injuries/Idah got crocked just when he'd found the key to survival/he had to cope with worse Covid problems than other managers/he had to play a style of football that didn't suit him.' 

If Hayden doesn't make it onto a pitch until November, the next one will be, 'He didn't have his DM for the first 15 games'.

9 hours ago, Nora's Ghost said:

Oh dear! Time to return to TWTD I think; that's just a bit too obvious. The club's self-funding model is considered by many experts to be a model for how a club should be run. No debt, two promotions to the PL in the last 4 years, multi-millions able to be spent on the playing staff, multi-millions spent on the club's facilities (note the latest signing Nunez's comments about the training set up, likewise Sara etc). If that makes the club a "laughing stock" and "national embarrassment" fu*ck knows what they makes the the rest of the clubs in the EFL and below.

Edited by horsefly
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Samwam27 said:

Yes, I'm pretty sure he said he was gutted to be sacked from his Villa job. But I suspect Farke was gutted to be sacked here too. All managers will be.

I don't believe he's a "take the money" type manager, and imo think he'll be totally committed to us, not only because he wants to prove Villa wrong and could succeed again with us.

So you must have spoken to him and know how he feels then going by your post? 😀

Edited by wheres my rebate gone?

The irony is if we give smith a few games and he’s crap and he loses all of them and we sack him there would still be outrage from national media who seem to somehow believe he’s a good manager 😂

inlive it when these pundits have opinions based on absolutely nothing whatsoever 🤣 maybe they just like wet look gel and cups of tea as well? 🤔 

It's not about taking the money, it's about having the fire in the belly to drive the club forward. Standing in the technical area with a mug of tea is not a great look. I'm yet to see that drive from him. A talented coach (once) but has lost his way.

8 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

It's not about taking the money, it's about having the fire in the belly to drive the club forward. Standing in the technical area with a mug of tea is not a great look. I'm yet to see that drive from him. A talented coach (once) but has lost his way.

I’m going to be vindicated by my cup of tea observation!

what kind of manager hangs out all casual on the touchline with a mug (ceramic mug) of tea. Gets thrashed and then shrugs it off. who does that?

16 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

I’m going to be vindicated by my cup of tea observation!

what kind of manager hangs out all casual on the touchline with a mug (ceramic mug) of tea. Gets thrashed and then shrugs it off. who does that?

Do you think its the type of tea that's the issue here - is it a poncey brew like earl grey? would a proper builders cuppa give him a bit more fire in the belly?

14 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

He's had around 30 competitive games now if we include cup games, and I think it's fair to say that, with the possible exception of Idah (although two games is much too small a sample to be sure), he has not improved a single player at the club. In fact, many of them - Aarons, Pukki, Gibson, Giannoulis - have gone backwards.

Said this last season. Noticed it with Aarons first, that he seemed to be going backwards. Other players followed. If individually players arent progressing and in fact are regressing, then as a whole, as a team how on earth are we going to be in a better position than the Farke days?

On 23/05/2022 at 10:28, Nexus_Canary said:

I would argue that some managers could have kept that team up.

Farke was on the verge of screwing up the Championship everything clicked and off we went on a promotion run.
Who's too say Brentford was not his Prem click?

Chris Houghton boring Chris, hated his style but could well have kept this team up.

This team has a decent ish defense that just needs protecting and told to do their job not be fancy (Hello Mr Kaback)
Some solid bus parking could have kept us in the Prem. Id say the team is better than the last one we went down with minus Emi.

You can argue all you like, I still think youd be wrong.

Farke wasnt on the verge of screwing up the Championship at all.

His first season he simply did not have the players he wanted to implement Farkeball. Second season he had the players, and after a few games where it wasnt clicking he made the fantastic tactical decision to drop Rhodes, push Pukki up front and bring Stiepermann in as the number 10.

The rest his history. 

And if you think Chris Hughton would have kept us up last season I also think your wrong. The defence wasnt good enough, and we would have scored even less goals so I fail to see how this would have represented an improvement on what happened.

Edited by Matt Morriss