Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

#WEAREALLGUEYE

13 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Good thing we arent talking about Christianity then. Bit odd for you to bring up the crusades that happened a thousand years ago to something that's happening today. Very much 'whataboutism' mixed with thread derailing.

The crusades were a reaction to over 800 Muslim raids into Europe -the woke always neglect to mantion this fact. It was a defence of Christian realm after severe provocation and terrorist atrocities.

To ensure Christian soldiers behaved better the code of chivalry and knights was invented- the vision was for virtuous fighters. Clearly that didn’t always work in practice - squaddies will be squaddies! 

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Unfortunately week minded people buy into religion, thus easily swayed into a train of thinking instead of making their own minds up! In this day and age I respect peoples love to each other whatever their sexuality than some antiquated way of thinking. Sad really, we still get this type of story!

Weak minded people buy into religion! How insulting! And frankly laughable - Christian philosophers and academics would eat you for dinner intellectually. Not least the greats like Augustine, Anselm etc 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Inch High aka Inchy.. said:

I'll start by saying I have no problem with any person of any sexuality, religion, or race they are born into BUT!  I do object to people being forced to do something they are not comfortable with on any grounds.

If the guys religion dictates that it's wrong for him to show support then so be it. I've worked with many people of many faiths and yes some have the odd(by my standards of acceptance of all) ideas about different things but it doesn't stop them being nice people.

You'll find most devout Christians would have done the same thing.

We need to stop trying to force people to support things that their heritage/religion says they shouldn't. 

What if the guys religion stated that women should not leave the house without covering their heads and faces? Do you support him promoting that? Or that violence towards non-believers is acceptable?

It’s not about being nice people, I’m sure Hitler had his more pleasant moments (I call Godwin’s Law before someone else does).

Just because a particular interpretation of a religion dictates particular behaviour, if that behaviour is contrary to the culture or law of the country in question, it can legitimately be questioned.

While the player may reserve the right, because of his belief, to refuse to play in support of LGBTQ, why does his his club not reserve the right to kick him out for refusing to play?

6 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

This is nonsense. The Catholic Church did not remove children as part of their beliefs, they were simply following the customs and law of the day in the homes they were involved in. An era when kids were routinely mistreated, hence Saville etc..,

And whilst some were ghastly and wicked people infiltrated them and committed terrible crimes/ the exact same can be said of secular homes too. indeed these were even worse often. So the religious aspect isn’t all that relevant even if it is disappointing that Christians didn’t do better.  

the idea that the church was homophobic is also questionable. Actually society was far more vigorous in this regard - hence so many gay men went into the priesthood where they felt accepted and understood. A huge number of clergy are gay. 

when the American children society did an investigation they found that rates of abuse amongst clergy were no higher than for any job with access to kids, in fact teaching was worse. An exception was Ireland - because here the church ran the childrens homes and these have historically proved a honey pot for perverts- so they seem to have infiltrated church to get to the kids. 

It’s only media reporting that has made people think every priest is a pervert. Was actually a tiny fraction it is just that in a church comprising 1.4 billion people, the odd bad apple is easy to find. Clearly cover up was appalling - but again this wasn’t the church per se. Indeed in many cases, especially in Ireland, the police were consulted and they were the ones advocating coverup. Psychiatrists were the ones who recommended moving people on and just giving a bit of counselling - appalling but a societal problem which many now wish to pin solely on the church  

I'm not sure many will rely upon this as accurate information at all.

The further back in history you go in the UK, the more informed by religion our culture and politics was. Sundays being a non working day was still a thing well into the 1990's. That's just one simple example.

The argument that Catholicism simply reflected the times, is moot. The Catholic church still held sway. And the Catholic Church had for a long time, been vehemently homophobic, considered it a sin and even offered conversion therapy.

Much of what you have said is just plain wrong whichever way you want to look at it.

"An era when kids were routinely mistreated," - is a statement that has no meaning or factual evidence. Which period? I don't remember specifying a particular period.

We also weren't talking about children's homes... Priests abused choir boys, school children, children in their congregation. Yes, some in church run orphanages etc too. And the point wasn't that these occurring MUST be a Catholic thing, but that for decades after the Catholic Church knew that these had occurred, as in, irrefutably and fought hard to cover it up and prevented the voices of victims from being heard and essentially mislead agents of the law etc.

It also wasn't a "tiny fraction" - it was found to be a worldwide problem and the Catholic Church had tried to silence all of it. It doesn't matter who said to do what. Doing the right thing is always doing the right thing, and it wasn't done. For decades. It kept happening, for decades.

Are there non Catholic people that commit the same abuses? Sure. Are there organisations as big as the Catholic Church who's head, the Pope, knew and willingly covered it up? Possibly, but very few. But that's not the point. The point was hypocrisy. And the point wasn't that Christianity is better or worse than any other religion, just that people are always interested in things that occur closer to home.

So as a result, as Christianity is the major religion of the UK, it is going to be the one that you see in the news the most. I was merely saying there is no media bias particularly, just that it's easier to follow and report on cases that are in the UK that relate directly to incidents, crimes and issues in the UK. When I go into my local, my money is on them commenting on players currently playing in the top tiers of English/Scottish football over a player playing in a lesser league abroad. Nothing to do with religion and people being scared of broaching that subject.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He just believes what he has been told since the day he was born, which is what most of us do, although we like to believe that we are independent thinkers. It's very hard to escape our upbringing.

He has the personal right to be a homophobe. A trickier question is whether he has the right to refuse to work for his employer in this situation. Should a Muslim employee, for instance, have the right to refuse to sell customers pork? Or, in my case, if I worked in a bookstore, as an atheist would I have the right to refuse to sell a customer the Bible? IMO, no. If my principles are so important, I should find an alternative job which doesn't compromise my principles rather than demand special treatment because of my beliefs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WD40 said:

This is where intersectionality gets into problems. In this case the fear of being seen as an racist (deriding another’s ethnicity / culture) trumps battling homophobia. 

It is quite interesting to see two marginalised groups seemingly clash. Imagine Jake Daniel’s had been refusing to take the knee… I wonder how that would play out.

• Like 2

On 3 October 2021, an independent commission set up by the Bishops' Conference of France released a report[194] estimating that the ranks of the 115,000 Catholic priests and other religious officials in France since the 1950s have included about 3,000 abusers.[195][196] The report estimates that 216,000 children were abused by Catholic priests between 1950 and 2020, and that accounting for abuse by other Catholic church employees increases the total number to around 330,000.[197] Around 80% of the victims were boys.

330'000 victims is not something you should brush under the carpet as a small minority & this is just one Country

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Weak minded people buy into religion! How insulting! And frankly laughable - Christian philosophers and academics would eat you for dinner intellectually. Not least the greats like Augustine, Anselm etc 

Indeed I apologise Dean, I should have been more specific in my reference, alluding to extreme religious to justify acts of terror or abuse! Those who blindly lead into killing people in the name of a god!

The real joke is the shirt in question is a PSG  one the same PSG  owned by Qatar where you guessed it homosexuality is illegal and punishable by death…….

Edited by Ulfotto
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

On 3 October 2021, an independent commission set up by the Bishops' Conference of France released a report[194] estimating that the ranks of the 115,000 Catholic priests and other religious officials in France since the 1950s have included about 3,000 abusers.[195][196] The report estimates that 216,000 children were abused by Catholic priests between 1950 and 2020, and that accounting for abuse by other Catholic church employees increases the total number to around 330,000.[197] Around 80% of the victims were boys.

330'000 victims is not something you should brush under the carpet as a small minority & this is just one Country

It’s abhorrent. Now please cite how many kids were abused in French schools at the same time by teachers, or in care homes, or in their own homes. People like to pretend this is a problem only for the church, I assure you it isn’t. 

This is so utterly predictable.  The story concerns the homophobia of a Muslim footballer, supported by 2 of his countrymen who play in the Premier League, yet the overwhelming majority of comments on here criticise christianity at length, yet fail completely to mention Islam.  

14 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

This is so utterly predictable.  The story concerns the homophobia of a Muslim footballer, supported by 2 of his countrymen who play in the Premier League, yet the overwhelming majority of comments on here criticise christianity at length, yet fail completely to mention Islam.  

While your Islamophobia is there for all to see.

• Like 1

Imagine outing yourself as homophobic 😂 Who's next do we think? Edouard Mendy? Mohamed Salah? Sadio Mané? And there I was the other day saying footballers need to have their access to social media taken away..

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

What is so wrong about this is the PL (and I'm sure other leagues) made special arrangements during games for Muslim players fasting for Ramadan yet this guy refuses to support inclusivity on the grounds of his religion, what a hypocrite.

Wow! So many people on here think they know what the Quran actually says on these subjects, yet nearly all quoted are incorrect!

I currently work in the Middle East and regularly have discussions about these sort of topics with my Arabic colleagues.

Before, saying this or that is actually forbidden in Islamic culture, maybe a few people should actually do some research!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

While the player may reserve the right, because of his belief, to refuse to play in support of LGBTQ, why does his his club not reserve the right to kick him out for refusing to play?

I was wondering that. 

Had to chuckle at Cheikhou Kouyate saying Gueye was "a real man". Yeah, because "real men" are hesitant to wear a shirt with rainbow numbers on the back. Sounds like a right ol' sign of manhood, that.

1 hour ago, canarybubbles said:

He just believes what he has been told since the day he was born, which is what most of us do, although we like to believe that we are independent thinkers. It's very hard to escape our upbringing.

He has the personal right to be a homophobe. A trickier question is whether he has the right to refuse to work for his employer in this situation. Should a Muslim employee, for instance, have the right to refuse to sell customers pork? Or, in my case, if I worked in a bookstore, as an atheist would I have the right to refuse to sell a customer the Bible? IMO, no. If my principles are so important, I should find an alternative job which doesn't compromise my principles rather than demand special treatment because of my beliefs.

Totally agree with the bit in bold. 

In fact, there's a question: could that not be noted as gross incompetence? 

Dismissing staff: Dismissals for conduct or performance reasons - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

2 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Anselm ?

Didn’t he play on the wing for Norwich ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Can we put Stephen Fry up as our front man.

1 hour ago, Tetteys Jig said:

It is quite interesting to see two marginalised groups seemingly clash. Imagine Jake Daniel’s had been refusing to take the knee… I wonder how that would play out.

One of the most depressing things for me is when people who belong to a group that suffers from prejudice and discrimination are so willing to subject a different minority to their own prejudices.

I guess it's a form of kick the cat.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

One of the most depressing things for me is when people who belong to a group that suffers from prejudice and discrimination are so willing to subject a different minority to their own prejudices.

I guess it's a form of kick the cat.

I see Kei Kamara has got himself caught up in it by defending Gueye. He’s normally a fairly switched on, socially conscious lad as well…

28 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

I see Kei Kamara has got himself caught up in it by defending Gueye. He’s normally a fairly switched on, socially conscious lad as well…

And then he had the audacity to try and backpedal and being all 'nah you see um in the past I support this LGBT cause um..' and then straight up just tweeted 'love wins'

In a way it's nice for people to oust themselves as idiotic homophobes like this, least then we know who not to listen to. Then again, the hillarity of him saying 'love wins' while hes supporting someone who supports LGBT people being thrown in jail or worse.

2 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

While your Islamophobia is there for all to see.

I’m not aware that any Islamophobia has been shown on this thread, but there’s certainly been an awful lot of Christianophobia on display.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

It’s abhorrent. Now please cite how many kids were abused in French schools at the same time by teachers, or in care homes, or in their own homes. People like to pretend this is a problem only for the church, I assure you it isn’t. 

It has nothing to do with it though. It is nothing but typical what-about-ery.

You've taken the wrong point, that has nothing to do with this topic and continued to shovel your way into a deep hole. 

18 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

I’m not aware that any Islamophobia has been shown on this thread, but there’s certainly been an awful lot of Christianophobia on display.

Would you be including me in that?

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Then again, the hillarity of him saying 'love wins' while hes supporting someone who supports LGBT people being thrown in jail or worse.

Just because Gueye won’t wear the shirt it doesn’t mean he supports people being thrown in jail does it ? It is possible to disagree with what someone does without hating them you know

Idrissa is going to have the shock of his life when he realises how we all pronounce his surname......