Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

#WEAREALLGUEYE

4 minutes ago, Indy said:

Funny, but I think you’ll find that us atheists don’t discriminate against any one religion, Christian or Muslim both teach intolerance of others! we don’t believe in any of them, it’s each religion that discriminates against each other. I have no issues with anyones leaning to their sexuality, that’s up to them to live a happy and loving life in their relationship. No one has the right to say how anyone should live in their choice of relationships!

What’s funny?  Where have I said that anyone or any religion has the right to tell others how they should conduct their relationships?  

2 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

What’s funny?  Where have I said that anyone or any religion has the right to tell others how they should conduct their relationships?  

Where have I said YOU specifically? I just responded as general, but you’re quick to jump! I was responding to you saying Christian was being talked about but it’s a Muslim who is the focus on this threads point

Edited by Indy

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

Where have I said YOU specifically? I just responded as general, but you’re quick to jump! I was responding to you saying Christian was being talked about but it’s a Muslim who is the focus on this threads point

You quoted my comment.

1 minute ago, Naturalcynic said:

You quoted my comment.

Yes as I said to say it doesn’t matter to us the base of the religion! Christian or Muslim or any other! Tolerance of peoples right to live in any loving relationship has more right than peoples right to believe in any nonexistent deity!

2 hours ago, Naturalcynic said:

And you just keep proving my point over and over again.

I don't. You made it about Christians and then tell others not to. Unless that is your point.

4 minutes ago, chicken said:

I don't. You made it about Christians and then tell others not to. Unless that is your point.

I made the point that the outrage would almost certainly have been much greater had he been a Christian.  You and others who have subsequently poured scorn on Christianity with barely a mention of Islam have reinforced my point.

4 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

I made the point that the outrage would almost certainly have been much greater had he been a Christian.  You and others who have subsequently poured scorn on Christianity with barely a mention of Islam have reinforced my point.

I’ve made the point that any specific faith is wrapped up in religion for me! I don’t discriminate against any specific faith as it’s all the same in my view and I don’t think you’re right in your view, Muslim or Christian they both are intolerant of same sex relationships in their teaching!

11 hours ago, chicken said:

Romans both had organised pagan religions, and democracies. They also had roads, sewage systems, fresh water systems.

So, apart from organised religions, democracies,roads, sewage and fresh water systems, what have the Romans’ done for us ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Indy said:

I’ve made the point that any specific faith is wrapped up in religion for me! I don’t discriminate against any specific faith as it’s all the same in my view and I don’t think you’re right in your view, Muslim or Christian they both are intolerant of same sex relationships in their teaching!

What view?

Edited by Naturalcynic

19 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

So, apart from organised religions, democracies,roads, sewage and fresh water systems, what have the Romans’ done for us ? 

Feed Christians to tbe Lions? 

Too early on Sunday Morning to make a religion based joke? 

To be fair to the Romans, it wasnt just Christians they killed. 

54 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

What view?

You said…..I made the point that the outrage would almost certainly have been much greater had he been a Christian.  You and others who have subsequently poured scorn on Christianity with barely a mention of Islam have reinforced my point.

I don’t agree it doesn’t matter what religion you follow being same sex is condemned in its teachings from the books the followers blindly believe in.

Edited by Indy

51 minutes ago, Indy said:

You said…..I made the point that the outrage would almost certainly have been much greater had he been a Christian.  You and others who have subsequently poured scorn on Christianity with barely a mention of Islam have reinforced my point.

I don’t agree it doesn’t matter what religion you follow being same sex is condemned in its teachings from the books the followers blindly believe in.

What?  You’ve clearly got completely the wrong end of the stick here.

I suppose the main difference is a faith that people use to lean on whereas when it becomes a way of life and how you live it without question.

But then again, what did the shooter in Buffalo believe?

4 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I suppose the main difference is a faith that people use to lean on whereas when it becomes a way of life and how you live it without question.

But then again, what did the shooter in Buffalo believe?

Certainly many follow religious teaching and instruction to the absolute letter.  Indeed, in some countries religion, politics and the legal system are one and the same.

3 hours ago, Naturalcynic said:

I'm not going to discuss Islam because I know stunningly little about it. My understanding of its theology is ridiculously limited. So my contribution would have limited value. 

I can discuss Christian belief because I have some frames of reference. I understand the nuances between different branches, it's history, it's thinkers and I understand how as a faith it has impacted our society. 

To me this is simply a man who doesn't wish to wear a rainbow shirt. That doesn't make me think much of him, but I have very little to say on his justifications or his faith.

16 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

“Nope, sorry but the West, as with the rest of the world was built long before Judeo-Christian philosophy,” - this is so ignorant as to be laughable. The West is absolutely built on Aristotle, Plato, Augustine, Anselm et al… all our major schools, hospitals and universities are Catholic foundations. Our countryside is littered with churches and Cathedrals. The law was derived from Christian tradition as was our modern justice system. Parliament meets under a pugin painting of St Augustine of Canterbury converting the pagan king Ethelwald. I could go on and on…your post above is very ill informed    

Wait. All our major universities are Catholic foundations? Can you explain what you mean by this?

2 hours ago, 1902 said:

Wait. All our major universities are Catholic foundations? Can you explain what you mean by this?

The word university itself is Latin, derived from universities magistrorum et scholarium, which roughly means “community of teachers and scholars.” It is an institution which awards academic degrees in various academic disciplines. It has roots in the European medieval university, which was created in Italy and evolved from cathedral schools spanning back in the 6th century run by priests and nuns. All the system and it’s faculties were in invented by the Catholic Church.

Aristotle and Plato had schools but these were not in anyvsense of the word: universities. These are medieval constructs and owe everything to Catholicism 

6 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

The word university itself is Latin, derived from universities magistrorum et scholarium, which roughly means “community of teachers and scholars.” It is an institution which awards academic degrees in various academic disciplines. It has roots in the European medieval university, which was created in Italy and evolved from cathedral schools spanning back in the 6th century run by priests and nuns. All the system and it’s faculties were in invented by the Catholic Church.

Aristotle and Plato had schools but these were not in anyvsense of the word: universities. These are medieval constructs and owe everything to Catholicism 

Ok, your original post didn't make it clear that you meant Etymologically and structurally. Thanks for the clarification.

10 minutes ago, 1902 said:

Ok, your original post didn't make it clear that you meant Etymologically and structurally. Thanks for the clarification.

Yes and specifically too/ Oxford and Cambridge being pre-reformation founded when separation of church and State wasn’t a thing. Oxford’s buildings were constructed, for example, around the sacrament at the centre. 

Just now, Dean Coneys boots said:

Yes and specifically too/ Oxford and Cambridge being pre-reformation founded when separation of church and State wasn’t a thing. Oxford’s buildings were constructed, for example, around the sacrament at the centre. 

As a man with Scottish parents, I can't help but point to the ancient universities of Scotland too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

St Andrew’s rather speaks for itself! 

Dont bring Golf into it. 😇

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

International currency. 😉

12 hours ago, Naturalcynic said:

Ah, you see that is again an error on your part. I haven't "poured scorn" on anything. I identified a series of evidenced events that reinforced my point which was that a westernised fundamentally Christian nation is naturally going to criticise something that it knows and feels is more relevant to it. In contrast to your seemingly "victimised Christianity" route which, as you have told us several times, had absolutely nothing to do with the original post. As I said, you derailed this thread by making a baseless claim and then angrily told other people to stop discussing the derailment you started, and then continued to misinterpret responses.

I don't hate Christianity or any religion. I also feel some athiests are so militantly anti-religion they almost put them in a position of being as bad as those who follow any religion so extremely that they feel all other religions are wrong and should be eradicated. But hey ho. As long as no one is getting hurt (directly or indirectly), who cares?

• Like 1

On 18/05/2022 at 15:39, Midlands Yellow said:
On 18/05/2022 at 15:10, cambridgeshire canary said:

Time for the classic 'Iran in the 1960's vs now'

3C903F5B00000578-4148684-image-a-113_148

iran-hijab.jpg?width=1200 Crusades started by the pope, lynch mobs in the deep south and don’t forget apartheid in South Africa. The Christian world doesn’t come out of this smelling of roses. 

Not that I am a Historian, but weren't the Crusades a response to the rise of Islam and the Caliphates burning (with the odd rape) their way across the Christian Kingdoms of the Middle East, North Africa and the Iberian Peninsula. The Christians, were going on a "Religious War" to take back their lands and Jerusalem. Not saying it makes it right, but all Countries, Empires, Kingdoms, Religions etc have at some point committed atrocities. 

However, ask yourself one question. Would you like to live in the UK under Sharia Law. I don't want my Daughters living in the bottom picture. 

11 hours ago, OTBC06 said:

Not that I am a Historian, but weren't the Crusades a response to the rise of Islam and the Caliphates burning (with the odd rape) their way across the Christian Kingdoms of the Middle East, North Africa and the Iberian Peninsula. The Christians, were going on a "Religious War" to take back their lands and Jerusalem. Not saying it makes it right, but all Countries, Empires, Kingdoms, Religions etc have at some point committed atrocities. 

However, ask yourself one question. Would you like to live in the UK under Sharia Law. I don't want my Daughters living in the bottom picture. 

Worth noting that as part of the Crusades, those ever so honourable and principled knights and their forces also raped and pillaged their way on route to the middle east.

Interestingly, there are historians that have found connections with women having to cover up as being linked to the crusades to hide them from the gaze of the knights, Christian troops in case they decided that they were pretty etc...

It's worth noting that there were several crusades, the first was in 1096 and was purely about fighting Islamic rule which was seen as a threat to the local Christian populace, pilgrims and the Byzantine Empire. The Byzantine Empire was essentially a part of the Roman Empire that continued beyond the fall of the Empire itself.

This whole issue is like the James McClean and poppys on Remembrance Weekend: despite how different the opinion is (and how some would argue how misinformed it is), he is entitiled to it.  Simlarly Gueye is entitled to an opinion of not wearing a kit with something that he fundamentality doesnt want to promote citing his religious sactuary, which he will always be entitiled to. Also a bit like how Zimmerman said he refuses to take the knee at start of matches.

Freedom of speech and expression should never be banned, censored, or discriminated against, in a free society.

Its funny how the Mainstream Media has become so polarised in recent years that they seek to try and outright cancel anyone who does not tow the line and follow their narrative on certain subjects, rather than allow their voices to be listened to. Look at how Le Tissier was sacked by Sky Sports over the BLM debacle as an example, or how JK Rowling has been exiled by her publishers and sponsors due to her philosophy on transgenderism. 

Edited by TheRock
  • Like 4