Sign in to follow this  
Google Bot

Confirmed contract extensions for Pukki, Cantwell and Dennis

2 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

https://www.canaries.co.uk/content/club-activate-options-in-contracts-of-teemu-pukki-todd-cantwell-and-matthew-dennis

Good news on Pukki, of course.  I guess the Cantwell extension is routine to ensure we get paid for him?

Presuming Bournemouth still agree to take him of course.

Even if they don't, we know he can do a job in the championship for us 

3 minutes ago, Haus said:

Far too much water flowed under that bridge now hasn't it? 

I mean, it's possible Webber won't be here, and if Bournemouth don't take him and we have different structure it could be a clean slate.  I can't help but think he's lost focus on the game, seeing how quick he was relegated to the bench at Bournemouth.

He should be pissing it in that team in the Championship, in truth.

The fact he's struggling to start for Bournemouth says enough really, they seem to like him though but if they go up, will they see him worth signing for the PL? Unless the option to sign is triggered by promotion unless I've missed it?

I can't see him playing for us again, even with this extension, it'll be purely for financial protection from him leaving on a free if Bournemouth decline to sign him. Such a shame as he clearly has a plethora of talent at his feet but doesn't seem to have the mentality to go with it. I hope he doesn't waste his career and can get back on track, whether that is here or not, I always like to see our products go on and do well wherever they are.

Pukki, on the other hand, is fabulous news and the only thing that gives me hope we might have a shot at the play-offs

Edited by AJ

I am not prepared to dis him yet. I think he showed in two seasons in the Championship that he has the talent. Maybe he hasn't got enough for the EPL but who has in our squad.

• Like 1

Matter of opinion but I don’t want to see Cantwell anywhere near Carrow Road let alone in a green and yellow shirt

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hucks6 said:

Matter of opinion but I don’t want to see Cantwell anywhere near Carrow Road let alone in a green and yellow shirt

I am the exact opposite - I would love to see him back with a new contract and fully integrated into his home-town club. We don't know what has gone on, but at do know that in their early 20s many young men make mistakes. If he has made such a mistake and is able to put it behind him, we would be the winners. 

I would also ad that he may "simply" have suffered personal problems/ a crisis of confidence - we should not be so quick to judge when we don't know the circumstances.

He is very talented and can be a delight to watch - I would love to see him back and at his best!

• Like 10

He may have learnt his lesson and he comes back flying, or he might be as  unfocused as ever on his return

40 minutes ago, Haus said:

That's debatable, he's not done much at Bournemouth.

8 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

He may have learnt his lesson and he comes back flying, or he might be as  unfocused as ever on his return

It might not have anything to do with focus, or attitude, or commitment, or lessons he needs to learn.

He may just not be very good.

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

It might not have anything to do with focus, or attitude, or commitment, or lessons he needs to learn.

He may just not be very good.

But we know he's good, because we've literally seen him be good.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Canarywary said:

But we know he's good, because we've literally seen him be good.

Its debatable.

Obviously got some finesse and a nice touch, he's a pretty footballer to watch.

But can't help but feel he's got as many flaws as he has strengths. Could be that Farke devised a way to get the best out of him and he struggles with role changes...

.. Dean Smith could perhaps do the same, but is he good enough to build a system around? I don't think so. Over rated by many because he registered some decent stats for goals scored + assists in our last Premier League season, but his stats weren't brilliant last year in the Championship considering the hype surrounding him. 

Rashica is, for me, a superior player who will have a much more productive season in the league below than Cantwell did last year.

6 goals in 33 last season from attacking midfield positions (primarily wide left or behind striker). Daniel Sinani has 6 in 35 from similar positions on the pitch in that league this season, and yet Huddersfield fans seem pretty divided on whether to keep him and a lot say that he has good spells in games but for most of a game isn't having much of an impact. 

No doubt that Cantwell has a really nice touch and is capable of some moments of brilliance, but that described Chris Llewellyn too.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

38 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

Wouldn't the same apply to Pukki?

I don't think so, as he owes us absolutely nothing.  I'm confident that the club would allow him to become a free agent end of season so he can get a move of his choosing, and gets better paid for it.

I don't think there would be any sense of goodwill towards Todd, or any plan for him to play next season, whereas Pukki is a player we'd actively want to keep and have playing next season.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

I am not prepared to dis him yet. I think he showed in two seasons in the Championship that he has the talent. Maybe he hasn't got enough for the EPL but who has in our squad.

Pukki, Aarons, Hanley and Krul, for a start. Maybe not top half, but definitely good enough for lower-half clubs (and Pukki higher than that IMO).

Can't see why we would want to loan Todd out unless there's a guaranteed commitment to buy.

I think he'll only leave if the fee is right for us. Also it's non sensical to sell him to a Championship rival.

He's coming home!

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Its debatable.

Obviously got some finesse and a nice touch, he's a pretty footballer to watch.

But can't help but feel he's got as many flaws as he has strengths. Could be that Farke devised a way to get the best out of him and he struggles with role changes...

.. Dean Smith could perhaps do the same, but is he good enough to build a system around? I don't think so. Over rated by many because he registered some decent stats for goals scored + assists in our last Premier League season, but his stats weren't brilliant last year in the Championship considering the hype surrounding him. 

Rashica is, for me, a superior player who will have a much more productive season in the league below than Cantwell did last year.

6 goals in 33 last season from attacking midfield positions (primarily wide left or behind striker). Daniel Sinani has 6 in 35 from similar positions on the pitch in that league this season, and yet Huddersfield fans seem pretty divided on whether to keep him and a lot say that he has good spells in games but for most of a game isn't having much of an impact. 

No doubt that Cantwell has a really nice touch and is capable of some moments of brilliance, but that described Chris Llewellyn too.

As you say, it's debatable. And as such I will argue a case for his defence. At Championship level, Todd has demonstrated on more than enough occasions that he has talent, ability and application. Somewhere along the line he has somewhat lost the way. However, the aforementioned talent doesn't simply disappear, I feel that he is at least owed the chance to prove himself with Dean Smith. I think in a way it IS last chance saloon for his Norwich City career, but we should at least afford him that opportunity.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

As you say, it's debatable. And as such I will argue a case for his defence. At Championship level, Todd has demonstrated on more than enough occasions that he has talent, ability and application. Somewhere along the line he has somewhat lost the way. However, the aforementioned talent doesn't simply disappear, I feel that he is at least owed the chance to prove himself with Dean Smith. I think in a way it IS last chance saloon for his Norwich City career, but we should at least afford him that opportunity.

See, I wouldn't be entirely against, but only if it was Dean Smith's decision and he felt that he fit in with what he wants to build.

Because Dean Smith should at least be afforded the opportunity to shape the squad in his image and show us what he can do with a Dean Smith Norwich City team.

If he think he could do with a Cantwell then so be it, but he didn't recall Hernandez based on his limited impact at Middlesbrough, and if he was to stick to his principles there then that would mean Cantwell has got to show a lot more at Bournemouth to earn a second chance here?

21 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

Yep, I can go with that. Get a pre-season with Smith in under his belt and see how he reacts.

Does this signal that Cantwell will not end up at Bournemouth, as I would have thought the deal to take him there permanently would be triggered as soon as they’re up, unless we had to trigger his extension by the end of April?

I’d be happy to see a motivated and fully performing Cantwell back in a city shirt, certainly don’t need a disruptive and demotivated Cantwell anywhere near the squad.

8 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

See, I wouldn't be entirely against, but only if it was Dean Smith's decision and he felt that he fit in with what he wants to build.

Because Dean Smith should at least be afforded the opportunity to shape the squad in his image and show us what he can do with a Dean Smith Norwich City team.

If he think he could do with a Cantwell then so be it, but he didn't recall Hernandez based on his limited impact at Middlesbrough, and if he was to stick to his principles there then that would mean Cantwell has got to show a lot more at Bournemouth to earn a second chance here?

Neither of us know for sure TVB, but I for one think there is a damn good footballer in there, despite his problems, and I'm hoping to see it again in Green and Yellow. I will, like others though, defer to Dean Smith, but also remain hopeful.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

the aforementioned talent doesn't simply disappear

I think sometimes it does though. There are loads of examples of players who have had one or two very good seasons and then disappear down the leagues. Maybe they stop working. Maybe they were just lucky that the stars aligned for a time.

I think one of the issues with Cantwell is that he doesn't contribute enough. He has 2 or 3 minute cameo's in games and then disappears for 30. What he does in those 2 or 3 minutes is often good, but perhaps not good enough to justify his place. He's never been 'on it' permanently. Certainly in the EPL that makes him a passenger. You can get away with it a bit more in the Champs, but only if you have 4 or 5 others who are more than covering.

We do have a number of these types of player. Hernandez, Rashica, Dowell in particular, but also some of our defenders seem unable to maintain their focus for an entire 90 minutes. But then, if they could, they wouldn't be at Norwich......

We knew they were extending Pukki, be absolute madness not to. What needs to happen though is a new contract so we don’t lose him next summer.

It reads that the agreed price is 11m for cantwell. Whether anyone as an individual wants him back or not, 11m for Todd, one of the crown Jewels held so highly just two years ago, is very sad.

11m. Pffft, yet again, it feels we always sell for a nothing price. I thought this with the Murphy's, EMI, Lewis, Pritchard. To some degree Madison too. 

I'm not dragging it all up but just saying.

Do we think max will go, and if so, what kind of price would you think?

3 hours ago, Haus said:

3 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Far too much water flowed under that bridge now hasn't it? 

I mean, it's possible Webber won't be here, and if Bournemouth don't take him and we have different structure it could be a clean slate.  I can't help but think he's lost focus on the game, seeing how quick he was relegated to the bench at Bournemouth.

He should be pissing it in that team in the Championship, in truth.

We won't see him play another game for us again. That ship has sailed. Not like we are going to activate his 1 year option and then let him walk away for nothing next summer. If it's not Bournemouth it will be someone else.

If Ryan Christie is getting chosen ahead of him that probably tells you Bournemouth won't be taking up the option.

32 minutes ago, Indy said:

Does this signal that Cantwell will not end up at Bournemouth, as I would have thought the deal to take him there permanently would be triggered as soon as they’re up, unless we had to trigger his extension by the end of April?

I’d be happy to see a motivated and fully performing Cantwell back in a city shirt, certainly don’t need a disruptive and demotivated Cantwell anywhere near the squad.

Todd needs come back with his head sorted or he will be a disruption to the squad

28 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

We knew they were extending Pukki, be absolute madness not to. What needs to happen though is a new contract so we don’t lose him next summer.

This one year suits all parties. 50k a week.

Get promoted next summer and he will probably sign for another season.

Fail to get promoted and leaves on a free next summer, we won't be paying him £50k a week for 2 seasons in the championship when hes 32 now.

36 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

It reads that the agreed price is 11m for cantwell. Whether anyone as an individual wants him back or not, 11m for Todd, one of the crown Jewels held so highly just two years ago, is very sad.

11m. Pffft, yet again, it feels we always sell for a nothing price. I thought this with the Murphy's, EMI, Lewis, Pritchard. To some degree Madison too. 

I'm not dragging it all up but just saying.

Do we think max will go, and if so, what kind of price would you think?

I’ll have what you’re smoking!

£11 million for Todd today is a great price - for us. Bournemouth on the other hand will be kicking themselves if they have committed to it.

And then you reckon we sold the Murphy’s, Lewis and Pritchard for less than they were worth!?! Look at their subsequent careers. The only one that’s debatable is Emi, but again I don’t think you’ll find many Villa supporters who think they got him cheap. Plus there’s the unresolvable argument about whether he would have thrown his toys out of the pram if we’d forced him to stay.

One thing I think you can get consensus on on here is that Webber drives a hard bargain when selling players. Marley Watkins anyone?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Move Klose said:

This one year suits all parties. 50k a week.

Get promoted next summer and he will probably sign for another season.

Fail to get promoted and leaves on a free next summer, we won't be paying him £50k a week for 2 seasons in the championship when hes 32 now.

And if we get promoted and he still decides to leave? He’s the highest quality player we have.