Sign in to follow this  
Monty13

This squad needs a scalpel not an axe this summer

I've been thinking a lot about this summer and what happens next. While its clear we didn't have the players to compete this season, in my opinion that's down to the sum of these players collectively not being good enough, not that we have a load of deadwood to remove.

I feel strongly that we need to avoid the idea that we need to throw a load of players out and start again. We simply can't afford to, perpetually resetting the squad (circa 7-11 signings a season) rather than evolving it can't be the answer in our position.

Once the loanees leave I believe we will have the following remaining first team squad either here or returning:

GK - Krul, Gunn, McGovern

CD - Hanley, Gibson, Omabamidele, Zimmerman

FB - Aarons, Giannoulis, Byram, Mumba, McCallum

CM - McClean, Lees-Melou, Sorensen, Rupp (contract expiring)

AM/Wingers - Rashica, Dowell, Tzolis, Rowe, Placheta, Sargent, Hernandez, Cantwell?, Sinani?, Martin

CF - Pukki, Idah, Hugill

There's always going to be players leaving but looking at those players I'd hope the majority are here next season unless they were already deemed surplus last year and we can find a buyer - Hernandez and Hugill as well as Cantwell and Sinani being the obvious ones if options not taken - or a great offer comes in and maybe its time to cash in, Aarons being the obvious one.

There are obviously still question marks over some of the younger ones who have been out on loan and their ability to step up - Mumba, McCallum and Martin, although to me Martin is the only one you'd say is yet to prove any real Championship potential.

The remaining squad is more than capable in the Championship IMO (maybe jury is still out on Placheta), it just has obvious gaps that need plugging with quality additions.

GK - I hope there are no truth in the rumours of Krul leaving but if there are Gunn has proven he is the No1 in waiting so why spend here? We have a number of prospects, are none good enough as backup?

CD - Four good to decent Championship defenders, one a real prospect in Omabamidele and Jonathan Tomkinson also just signed a contract and we know Sorensen can cover so again why spend?

FB - Byram is in instant proven replacement if Max goes, no worries there. Giannoulis good enough for the Champ. Only need to spend here is if McCalum and/or Mumba arent deemed good enough cover, even if Max goes IMO. Again Sorensen can cover as 5th choice.

CM - Heres where the money is needed, personally I'd keep Rupp but still look to add two quality additions, at least one true DM.

AM/Wingers - I still think we need that Wes/Maddison/Buendia alike player to play somewhere in the front 4. That one quality addition needed.

CF - The other area that needs the money spent. Pukki needs to stay (new contract vital Summer business IMO) but he also needs true competition, either this season ideally (although I'd argue Pukki, Idah, Sargent and Hugill is good enough at Champ level if you can't find the talent) or the vast amount of the following seasons transfer budget if we get promoted.

So personally I'd like to see us sign two CMs (at least one pure DM), a ball playing AM and a CF but only if there is someone affordable who will offer genuine competition for Pukki and is a proven upgrade on Idah/Hugill.

3/4 good quality signings. This is assuming we have no youth player about to do an Aarons/Omabamidele and kick on as one of those.

Its fun to watch the transfer merry go round and get hyped over new players. There's also potential for a great player to be available in an area we don't need to strengthen but who is a genuine upgrade on what we have, no reason not to do that business if we can afford it. A few gambles on potential as well if we can afford. If we can afford it being the operative point, if finances are tight then we shouldn't waste a penny spreading that money too thinly IMO.

To me we get this summer right by retaining the majority of what we have and with 3/4 targeted additions to really improve that first 11, take a scalpel not an axe to this squad IMO.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Aarons, will need replacing. 

2x Central midfielders need to come in.

We will need a wide player if Rashica gets sold.

But apart from that I don't think we need 10+ new players.

Hopefully we can find homes for the likes of Hernandez & Hugill as neither are good enough for what we want to do now. 

1 minute ago, Move Klose said:

Aarons, will need replacing. 

2x Central midfielders need to come in.

We will need a wide player if Rashica gets sold.

But apart from that I don't think we need 10+ new players.

Hopefully we can find homes for the likes of Hernandez & Hugill as neither are good enough for what we want to do now. 

Interesting, why do you think Aarons needs replacing with Byram now fit can I ask? But in agreement with your thoughts otherwise.

I'd hope we fight tooth and nail to keep Rashica, vital to bouncing back IMO, he will tear up the Championship.

There's always a chance a youngster pops up and kicks on with our model, and I suspect we might get one or two that do. Adshead had a bad injury on loan to Gillingham but to have already clocked up League One football at his age before we signed him up shows something must be there that we can bring out. Suspect he - might - be the attacking midfielder we're looking at.

Agree completely with keeping Rupp. His experience in the middle of the park is very useful, both on and off the pitch, and he's well settled into the team. This next season, if relegation is confirmed as expected, should be about piling first-team minutes into Omobamidele, Sorensen, Idah, and possibly Tzolis/Rowe assuming their training performances merit it. Wonder if Sinani's worth a go?

Happy with selling Hernandez, although that's not a reflection on him, it's always a slight downer to see players with his enthusiasm leave but we've got the replacements in the building. Hugill - I dunno. If we're playing more typical wingers I think he might still have a role to play. Pukki is best served by having creatively-minded midfielders behind him who can pick out his channel runs. With Cantwell, Buendia, Vrancic and Stiepermann behind him, he stuffed his boots in the Champs. None of them are great crossers though, and that's where Hugill is happier. Put something in the air for him to attack...and throw in Idah and Sargent and I think your Plan B is in the building, tbh.

• Like 2

Depends on performances between now and the end of the season, who leaves, who doesn't want to be here and who Smith wants to come here.

I will be very disappointed if Smith doesn't want to make wholesale changes tbh. 

With Max, Hanley, Giannoulis, Kabak and Williams potentially leaving that's a lot of defenders required before we even think about attacking capability.

Do many think Aarons will go? 

Far from a Cantwell, but similar in terms of fee depreciation I fear. He's 22 now. Still young, of course, but I do question whether he's going to improve or reach the heights his potential suggested 18-24 months ago.

• Like 1

McCallum has not even been in QPR’s squad for 25 of their games this season and I don’t think he was injured-looking less likely that he will make the grade with us.

Mumba has started 7 games for Peterborough, been subbed in 3 times and been an unused sub 8 times-again, doesn’t suggest that he will be a regular for us.

Having said that, they are still only 21 and 20 respectively so maybe there’s still some potential to improve.

22 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I've been thinking a lot about this summer and what happens next. While its clear we didn't have the players to compete this season, in my opinion that's down to the sum of these players collectively not being good enough, not that we have a load of deadwood to remove.

I feel strongly that we need to avoid the idea that we need to throw a load of players out and start again. We simply can't afford to, perpetually resetting the squad (circa 7-11 signings a season) rather than evolving it can't be the answer in our position.

Once the loanees leave I believe we will have the following remaining first team squad either here or returning:

AM/Wingers - Rashica, Dowell, Tzolis, Rowe, Placheta, Sargent, Hernandez, Cantwell?, Sinani?, Martin

CF - Pukki, Idah, Hugill

There's always going to be players leaving but looking at those players I'd hope the majority are here next season unless they were already deemed surplus last year and we can find a buyer - Hernandez and Hugill as well as Cantwell and Sinani being the obvious ones if options not taken - or a great offer comes in and maybe its time to cash in, Aarons being the obvious one.

There are obviously still question marks over some of the younger ones who have been out on loan and their ability to step up - Mumba, McCallum and Martin, although to me Martin is the only one you'd say is yet to prove any real Championship potential.

The remaining squad is more than capable in the Championship IMO (maybe jury is still out on Placheta), it just has obvious gaps that need plugging with quality additions.

GK - I hope there are no truth in the rumours of Krul leaving but if there are Gunn has proven he is the No1 in waiting so why spend here? We have a number of prospects, are none good enough as backup?

CD - Four good to decent Championship defenders, one a real prospect in Omabamidele and Jonathan Tomkinson also just signed a contract and we know Sorensen can cover so again why spend?

FB - Byram is in instant proven replacement if Max goes, no worries there. Giannoulis good enough for the Champ. Only need to spend here is if McCalum and/or Mumba arent deemed good enough cover, even if Max goes IMO. Again Sorensen can cover as 5th choice.

CM - Heres where the money is needed, personally I'd keep Rupp but still look to add two quality additions, at least one true DM.

AM/Wingers - I still think we need that Wes/Maddison/Buendia alike player to play somewhere in the front 4. That one quality addition needed.

CF - The other area that needs the money spent. Pukki needs to stay (new contract vital Summer business IMO) but he also needs true competition, either this season ideally (although I'd argue Pukki, Idah, Sargent and Hugill is good enough at Champ level if you can't find the talent) or the vast amount of the following seasons transfer budget if we get promoted.

So personally I'd like to see us sign two CMs (at least one pure DM), a ball playing AM and a CF but only if there is someone affordable who will offer genuine competition for Pukki and is a proven upgrade on Idah/Hugill.

3/4 good quality signings. This is assuming we have no youth player about to do an Aarons/Omabamidele and kick on as one of those.

Its fun to watch the transfer merry go round and get hyped over new players. There's also potential for a great player to be available in an area we don't need to strengthen but who is a genuine upgrade on what we have, no reason not to do that business if we can afford it. A few gambles on potential as well if we can afford. If we can afford it being the operative point, if finances are tight then we shouldn't waste a penny spreading that money too thinly IMO.

To me we get this summer right by retaining the majority of what we have and with 3/4 targeted additions to really improve that first 11, take a scalpel not an axe to this squad IMO.

Pretty much agree. I think the two key acquisitions are a true defensive midfieldfer and a striker. I think the rest of the midfield can work reasonably well if there is a Skipp-like player there. As for strikers I would say that Idah, Hugill and Sargent are all only mid-level Championship players, and we need another top-three level player.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Pretty much agree. I think the two key acquisitions are a true defensive midfieldfer and a striker. I think the rest of the midfield can work reasonably well if there is a Skipp-like player there. As for strikers I would say that Idah, Hugill and Sargent are all only mid-level Championship players, and we need another top-three level player.

While I think we definitely need that striker my concern is who can we afford who is genuine competition for Pukki and also prepared to potentially sit on the bench a lot if we play one striker. That’s a tough acquisition in the Championship.

If we are going to play 442 more or that Striker can play wide it gets a bit easier but I think we need that bigger athletic guy to complement Pukki and offer a different option, a Hugill upgrade basically, and they generally want to play through the middle.

I genuinely think that if given the opportunity, Josh Sargent can be a star player for us next season. I definitely think that there is a good player in there, he's strong/good in the air & he isn't slow. I've been wrong many times before, so there's a chance I could be wrong with this, I  guess only  time will tell. 

Edited by Top corner
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just saying We will almost certainly use the loan market again for at least one of the midfield players…Let’s hope it’s more from the Olly Skipp stable than Marcus edwards.

Couple of points of order McCallum has been injured a fair amount for QPR. Saying Josh Martin has no championship experience is a bit harsh thought he showed a lot of potential at times in 20/21. 

Edited by Ulfotto

31 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

McCallum has not even been in QPR’s squad for 25 of their games this season and I don’t think he was injured-looking less likely that he will make the grade with us.

Mumba has started 7 games for Peterborough, been subbed in 3 times and been an unused sub 8 times-again, doesn’t suggest that he will be a regular for us.

Having said that, they are still only 21 and 20 respectively so maybe there’s still some potential to improve.

He has been injured - was out for quite a long time with it. He's back for them now and started last Saturday. (I've no real idea whether he's good enough, but Coventry fans seemed to like him last season). 

Edited by Thirsty Lizard
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

McCallum played on Saturday 

1 minute ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

He has been injured - was out for quite a long time it. He's back for them now and started last Saturday. (I've no real idea whether he's good enough, but Coventry fans seemed to like him last season). 

Mumbas always been great for us just sadly got injured (surprise surprise our players getting injured..) when he started to break into our team

19 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

While I think we definitely need that striker my concern is who can we afford who is genuine competition for Pukki and also prepared to potentially sit on the bench a lot if we play one striker. That’s a tough acquisition in the Championship.

If we are going to play 442 more or that Striker can play wide it gets a bit easier but I think we need that bigger athletic guy to complement Pukki and offer a different option, a Hugill upgrade basically, and they generally want to play through the middle.

Smith was quite happy to play all three of Pukki, Sargent and Idah up front together earlier this season before Idah got injured so this might not be such an issue. 

Players in red: most likely to leave

Players in blue: might not be up to needed Championship standard

CM - McClean, Lees-Melou, Sorensen, Rupp 

AM/Wingers - Rashica, Dowell, Tzolis, Rowe, Placheta, Sargent, Hernandez, Cantwell, Sinani, Martin

CF - Pukki, Idah, Hugill

Assuming one of Mumba or McCallum can cut it as a back up, and the red do all go, then I'd say we need:

A FB, a DM and a midfield creative spark.

If they think Sorensen isn't going to make the grade (they never seem to play him), then I'd sell him as well and get another DM to give competition between the two new DM so one might come out the other end as someone of Premier League quality.

I think Idah and Hugill will do at that level although would prefer an upgrade - however, we can't afford it so we go as we are. Maybe Josh will step up.

OTBC

Edited by Disco Dales Jockstrap
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

He had a long term injury.

50 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Depends on performances between now and the end of the season, who leaves, who doesn't want to be here and who Smith wants to come here.

I will be very disappointed if Smith doesn't want to make wholesale changes tbh. 

With Max, Hanley, Giannoulis, Kabak and Williams potentially leaving that's a lot of defenders required before we even think about attacking capability.

Disagree entirely personally. Smith was bought in to make the most of this squad. A few additions are needed for him to make his stamp and kick on but if we brought in a manager that needs wholesale changes to take us forward we brought in the wrong guy.

From what he said on joining and since about this squad I don’t feel he thinks we need wholesale changes either.

Also no way I’d let Max, Hanley and Giannoulis leave personally, one would be acceptable. More his a huge step back.

• Like 2

What will be will be but personally I will be happy as long as Hugill and Placheta are not in the squad. 

30 minutes ago, Top corner said:

I genuinely think that if given the opportunity, Josh Sargent can be a star player for us next season. I definitely think that there is a good player in there, he's strong/good in the air & he isn't slow. I've been wrong many times before, so there's a chance I could be wrong with this, I  guess only  time will tell. 

I 100% expect him to make an impact next season, just suspect it may be on the right of a three or midfield four. It’s where he’s looked most comfortable to me.

Rashica, Pukki and Sargent is a very strong front three for a Championship side if we keep them all.

Excellent OP. As you and others have said, the DM position is the crucial one, but we're hardly the only club to have found that a hard position to fill. 

Very much hoping that Idah will finally have the kick-on season we've been wanting for a couple of years now, but a striker to compete with and eventually replace Pukki is the other key signing we need.

I may be in a minority of one here, but I'd be also hoping to keep Normann. I know he's been hot and cold this season, but he showed yesterday what he can offer us. With a better DM behind/alongside him, I think he's a player who could be a PL asset. I know he's expressed his frustrations, but there's a good side to that - any player happy with being bottom of the PL is in the wrong job. 

• Like 2

Sack the lot, sell the stadium and **** the cash on well known names. That's ambition!

Edited by The Bristol Nest
Spunc a rude word? BTW, I agree with the op
  • Haha 1

Wouldn't be surprised if we see a couple of positional switches, or we could call it "doing a Godfrey". By that, I mean players who we think mainly play in one position end up playing in another. We all thought Godfrey was a defensive midfielder, but he ended up at centre-back.

Lungi's the prime candidate for some of that, especially with his spell at left-back in the Champs last time out. Dowell's had form for being on the right of an attacking midfield trio even though he's seen as a number 10. Wouldn't be averse to giving Placheta a crack up top or indeed even as a wing-back. Then there's Mumba, the fun with him is working out where he's going to finish bearing in mind he started as a centre-mid as a youngster but I think he makes most sense as a winger.

1) Where has the Hanley leaving thing come from???

2) Poor Adam Idah seems to be suffering reverse Becchio syndrome on this thread. He was at last looking better and better before he was injured and there was some genuine excitement that he seemed to be coming good. Bur a couple of months away from the team and he’s become not good enough. A season in the Championship should be just what the doctor ordered to give him decent experience at a level below the punishing Premier League, especially if Smith continues to play two up front.

• Like 1

I was under the impression that this isn’t Smiths squad, they’re all ****e and needs a couple windows to get rid and bring in his players! 😉💚💛

On a serious note they certainly showed more effort and were set up for the first time under Smith. Totally looked like a team playing for each other, good for Smith, as I really like him and want him to do well, which contradicts with my thoughts so far to his being the best fit. Certainly deserves praise for this game, Dowell too, was very assured. Even if we g onto lose the rest of the games as long as this squad shows this unity and effort no complaints!

In the last few games that Adam Idah played before his injury he really began to look the part. A slight change to his game made a massive difference.

Adam Idah and Andrew Omobamidele will very quickly become our most valuable players and will be two players that we can base our future on.

I agree we need a defensive midfielder but please, not another loan.

Olly Skipp won us promotion last season and this season his absence has won us relegation.

Be controversial here but IF rumours of Krul being on £70k pw are true then should an offer come in for him I would sell and use those wages elsewhere. Even IF he is on the standard 50% reduction that's £35k p w that would easily fund a decent goalscorer from lower league / abroad + possibly even paying some / most of the wages of a CDM we so desperately need. We simply don't need a PL standard keeper in the Championship when we have a perfectly capable deputy at that level (proven) ...........'in the building'. There are more crucial areas of the team that need improving. 

Many are saying that in Pukki, Idah, Hugill and Sargent we are perfectly ok upfront. I have my doubts. Hugill's record at two different clubs this season is disgraceful considering what we paid for him. Why would he suddenly start scoring loads for us??  I desperately want the boy Idah to come good but with him we are STILL just talking about 'potential'! That leaves Sargent and, again, there is little evidence he will return 10 - 15 goals next season if that 'effort' (putting it politely) v Brighton is the standard he produces in front of an open net! 

1 hour ago, Monty13 said:

Interesting, why do you think Aarons needs replacing with Byram now fit can I ask? But in agreement with your thoughts otherwise.

I'd hope we fight tooth and nail to keep Rashica, vital to bouncing back IMO, he will tear up the Championship.

I do like Byram, good player, I would have reservations with his fitness playing twice a week, the championship is relentless. And personally I don't think Mumba is ready.

1 hour ago, Monty13 said:

CF - Pukki, Idah, Hugill

Rupp is another one who has alot of qualities especially for the championship but his injury record isn't great, doesnt stay fit for long enough.