cambridgeshire canary

So if we go down how much of a squad rebuild will we need?

28 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

But has a habit of not tracking back....

Also they only know how to play in an out dated 'Convent'ional 4-4-2 formation.

I'll get my coat.

Edited by OnDaBall
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

This thread is a depressing read if half of what is predicted happens.

It’s not like we’re not used to it, apart from Huckerby very good players don’t stay here for long. 

3 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Wouldnt be surprised if Smith and Shakespeare themselves left if a premier league job came up...they will both see themselves as premier league operators

That would then be the biggest rebuild of all

This is my fear, I think they could tear through the Championship with this squad, but will they want to?

I am pretty sure Smith and Shakey will stick around to rebuild in the Championship for the next try in the PL. Obviously Cantwell, Kabak, Williams and Wee Billy will be gone but I am quietly confident Normann might stay on a permanent and Rashica will give us one more season to try to get back up. Aarons will need to make a move soon so I expect him to go but we have Byram and Mumba to fill that spot. We will need to get another striker and back up to Giannoulis and another CDM and maybe one other creative midfielder.

3 hours ago, Hucks6 said:

Would Normann want to go back to Rostov where all the fighting between Russia/ Ukraine is

He’ll have plenty of other suitors.

I would like to know whether the current squad is a Webber squad, a Farke squad or a Webber/Farke squad. I feel that some of the signings were made on statistics and not quality. Whilst Sargents work rate is top draw his ball control is not. Placheta is fast but most of his speed is used to cover our defenders and not the other way.

I hope that Smith and Shakespeare will be given a bigger say in team rebuilding - as Webber is not up to it - and that we use more home grown talent.

34 minutes ago, Helsinki canary said:

I am pretty sure Smith and Shakey will stick around to rebuild in the Championship for the next try in the PL. Obviously Cantwell, Kabak, Williams and Wee Billy will be gone but I am quietly confident Normann might stay on a permanent and Rashica will give us one more season to try to get back up. Aarons will need to make a move soon so I expect him to go but we have Byram and Mumba to fill that spot. We will need to get another striker and back up to Giannoulis and another CDM and maybe one other creative midfielder.

Nil chance. In addition, exactly where would we get the money from for said purchase?

1 minute ago, yellowrider120 said:

Nil chance. In addition, exactly where would we get the money from for said purchase?

Well we will probably get £11m for Cantwell and either Rashica or Aarons will probably go. I agree it's highly unlikely though. 

4 hours ago, Captain Holt said:

McCallum has played 8 games for QPR. He isn't making it here and will be sold.

He has been injured. (Now I've read through the whole thread, I suspect that you have received the message 😃)

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/canaries-ncfc-sam-mccallum-qpr-hamstring-surgery-news-8466410

Edited by Badger
Added link + additional sentence

Sell the lot and rebuild - theres not one player I would keep- try and sign Williams the rest can goooooooooooooo

1 hour ago, Monty13 said:

This is my fear, I think they could tear through the Championship with this squad, but will they want to?

I would think they would have been well aware that we have every possibility of plying our trade in the Championship next season.

Hopefully they're part of another long term plan.

* The most worrying thing is IF, and it's a big if, is how the hell do we prepare for another go in the EPL...

Edited by Wings of a Sparrow

3 hours ago, OnDaBall said:

Also they only know how to play in an out dated 'Convent'ional 4-4-2 formation.

I'll get my coat.

Might work if Zema Abbey is still plying his trade?

4 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

But has a habit of not tracking back....

True, but strong rumours of concrete interest from their sister club in Southern Spain.

I never like the idea of having a mass clearout upon relegation, last time we got rid of a few and bought a few in but the nucleus of the squad was essentially the same. Of course it depends on who Smith & Shakey want to keep and who they don't but it's mainly a squad who cantered to promotion so it seems daft to rip it up. You need fresh faces to remove the relegation hangover but if you have players who did the business in the Championship the season before then I'd be keeping as many of those as possible.

3 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

There'll be nun of that thank you.

I'm not sure I like your (mother) superior attitude sir!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, hertfordyellow said:

He’s had a lengthy injury since November.

So he only played 8 games up til November? Nothing suggests he will make it here, I get the impression that the club really don't think he's got it (at least the last regime).

Rashica will stay, whether he likes it or not, unless we get offered very silly money for him. There is a very decent chance Normann will agree to joining us permanently. Possibly Williams too. A starting-eleven striker will be signed, since there is as far as I can gather, going on reports, no solid evidence that Idah, when fit, has the makings of a top of the league Championship player, and Sargent seems to be only sort of a striker.

4 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Rashica will stay, whether he likes it or not, unless we get offered very silly money for him. There is a very decent chance Normann will agree to joining us permanently. Possibly Williams too. A starting-eleven striker will be signed, since there is as far as I can gather, going on reports, no solid evidence that Idah, when fit, has the makings of a top of the league Championship player, and Sargent seems to be only sort of a striker.

I think Williams is one too far but Normann's injury record and decent-but-not-exceptional performances for us isn't going to get him lots of suitors above our level, so that's possible.

The PinkUn do like to double-down on their moaning - most of what's been said won't happen. Like you say, we'll want big money for Rashica and I think it's unlikely we'll get offered it.

Cantwell will probably go. Our starting eleven won't look too much different to what it is now, in all reality. Perhaps one or two differences.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Would he want to play away to Rotherham on a Tuesday? That's the real question

Rotherham probably looks more like a warzone to be fair.

41 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I think Williams is one too far but Normann's injury record and decent-but-not-exceptional performances for us isn't going to get him lots of suitors above our level, so that's possible.

Agreed that Normann’s injury record could be a deterrent but ‘decent but not exceptional’ performances is more than a bit harsh to describe our head and shoulders best player up to his injury?! He was the only individual getting plaudits under Farke - in an extremely dysfunctional team. He showed some signs of getting back to match sharpness against Liverpool and imagine he will now be settling back in the central midfield as our best CM. For me he will be one who 100% will have interest from a top league and will be a bit of a coup to keep him for the champs. So I will be delighted if he stays.

And agree that we won’t be getting Williams permanently, that’s more than a little hopeful, Man U wouldn’t let him go for less than £20/25 mil ? Nor could I see him dropping to the championship when he’ll most definitely have premier league interest. Tbh the only hope of him playing for us again is another premier league loan if we (somehow) manage to stay up!

58 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Rashica will stay, whether he likes it or not, unless we get offered very silly money for him. There is a very decent chance Normann will agree to joining us permanently. Possibly Williams too..

‘Whether he likes it or not’ isn’t exactly how we handled the Buendia situation… nor any player sale. I personally think Rashica will go if we get offered say £15mil plus for him. Unless he wants to stick it out in the champs with us?!

9 hours ago, Captain Holt said:

So he only played 8 games up til November? Nothing suggests he will make it here, I get the impression that the club really don't think he's got it (at least the last regime).

He was a regular starter for QPR before he got injured.

Started four games, missed the next three with injury, then started the next four again before the recurrence of the hamstring issue.

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

He was a regular starter for QPR before he got injured.

Started four games, missed the next three with injury, then started the next four again before the recurrence of the hamstring issue.

Which is reason enough to think he won't make it here 

21 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

How many comings and goings? Who can you see staying and who can you see going? Just how much of a budget will Smith need and will Webber and co allow it?

Would be interesting to see what a Smith team would look like.. Fair to say all he has it's Farkes team right now.

If we go with a worst case scenario and say Aarons, Cantwell, Dimi, Rashica and all the loanees leave we're still left with a starting XI of...

Krul, Byram, Omobamidele, Gibson, McCallum, PLM, Sorenson, Sargent, Dowell, Tzolis, Pukki.

With Gunn, Mumba, Hanley, McLean, Dowell and Idah in reserve off the top of my head.

That looks solid enough to me before we talk about additions. I'd imagine the sales listed above would raise around the £50m mark and while we clearly wouldn't be spending all of that it would give us some cash to spend on a few quality additions. 

1 minute ago, Captain Holt said:

Which is reason enough to think he won't make it here 

Because he's got injured? Ok....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

If we go with a worst case scenario and say Aarons, Cantwell, Dimi, Rashica and all the loanees leave we're still left with a starting XI of...

Krul, Byram, Omobamidele, Gibson, McCallum, PLM, Sorenson, Sargent, Dowell, Tzolis, Pukki.

With Gunn, Mumba, Hanley, McLean, Dowell and Idah in reserve off the top of my head.

That looks solid enough to me before we talk about additions. I'd imagine the sales listed above would raise around the £50m mark and while we clearly wouldn't be spending all of that it would give us some cash to spend on a few quality additions. 

Just a side-note; I highly doubt our best CB this season by some margin will be benching it in the Championship 🙂

• Like 1