chicken

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v Man City(PL) ****

8 minutes ago, baldy09 said:

Well what did you expect - a norwich city win HA HA 

I think the word "predictable" was a bit of a giveaway.

I just really despise watching us in fixtures like this (and probably next week). Did ok for spells and didn’t play badly but the sickening disparity in resources, coupled with the officials lending a helping hand as usual just makes that sort of result inevitable and the games deeply unenjoysble.

In terms of what we could do differently, I think 7 fouls in 90 minutes tells a story. We just don’t have any midfielders who put their foot in and can rough the opposition up. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

In terms of what we could do differently, I think 7 fouls in 90 minutes tells a story. We just don’t have any midfielders who put their foot in and can rough the opposition up. 

I didn't watch today for exactly the reasons you gave, but I remember in the away game that they committed more fouls than us despite having about 120% possession. Think you're right, need to get our foot in a bit more.

17 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Nice little training exercise for the oil tycoons that, hardly had to break a sweat and got to cameo some of their teenagers who have yet to grow any facial hair on too

Any chance you are going to back your own comment? A team?

2 minutes ago, Grumpy said:

After what was a very good effort in the first half, we came out in the second half and were playing a 4 5 1 formation and Man City still gave us a masterclass in passing and movement.Every player seems to have an ability to move and find space to receive the ball.

How can our fullbacks give their opposition so much room to operate in.That is Aarons worst habit,no wonder they took him off.

Max has struggled this season against a different quality of player from those he faces in the Championship. Defending was never his strong card, even there, and we should probably have started with Byram IMO. Sargent struggled badly tonight, but maybe he wasn't fully recovered and shouldn't have played. I thought Williams did very well on his side of the pitch considering this was Man City, who are simply the best team in the country. I still think the real problem, though, was our midfield, which seems incapable of basic things like weighting a pass. Hate to say it, but we have three journeymen (well, one is a journeyboy) who just don't think quickly enough and lack the technical ability needed for this league. 

• Like 1

Just now, Robert N. LiM said:

I didn't watch today for exactly the reasons you gave, but I remember in the away game that they committed more fouls than us despite having about 120% possession. Think you're right, need to get our foot in a bit more.

Trouble is that if we put our foot in, we'll end up with less than 11 on the pitch due to the corrupt officials protecting the premier league assets.....ie big name players. 

Just now, mccanary said:

Trouble is that if we put our foot in, we'll end up with less than 11 on the pitch due to the corrupt officials protecting the premier league assets.....ie big name players. 

Yes, you need to be very smart about it, that's for sure

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Yes they are indeed a football team

Don't try and deflect Cambridge. Back yourself. Name their first choice team, in your opinion.

6 minutes ago, mccanary said:

Oh do stop with this juvenile mentality.

Strong case for Byram starting at RB against Liverpool. I love Max but he's not had a great season and struggled today. Yes it's Man City, but we see Max going right to the top so our expectations of him are high.

He started off as a forward/right winger and was converted to full back. Id be tempted to play him at right midfield in front of Byram. Lets be honest, Max's defensive abilities have never been the reason we rated him, its been what he does going forward.

We dont really have a right winger, unless you want to play Rashica there, but he has performed best on the left. I think the idea may have been Tzolis left and Rashica right, but that hasnt worked out. Placheta is nowhere near Premier League level and we havent found a way to use his Premier League pace. I know inverted wingers is what all the sophisticated teams play, but for that you need a player with a piledriving shot on him or twinkle-toes, and Placheta doesnt have either of those. Sargent isnt a winger. He isnt a striker either, but if we want to play him for his work-rate (which was missing tonight, most likely due to fitness) playing him up front with Pukki in a 442 would be possible.

Glenn Roeder used to play Ryan Bertrand in front of Drury and that did make us solid down that side. And thats what we will want against Liverpool.

• Like 1

I do wish the Euro Super League would happen so this lot of football genuises can **** off and give us competitive football back.

Man city v NCFC epitomises exactly the state of football  in the UK today. Man city are top of the tree, yes, but they have been allowed to be there by the very weak FA and EPL management. They have in essence been allowed to purchase the title using the vast amounts of cash their owners put into their club. They are closely followed by Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea. 
And then we have the other end of the scale, the NCFC’s who simply cannot compete at this same level. Before football dies a death in this country, because it will, the FA and EPL management simply have to devise a leveling up of the playing field, by capping such. club  investment! Who in their right minds want to watch NCFC get thrashed by these clubs, as they have, and will do in the future if the status quo is maintained. It’s just not football any more!

• Like 4

Main issue of course is they don't care. Supporters in grounds are nigh on worthless bar some atmosphere / semblance of "football culture" to keep the product. It's all tv and global audiences. On the plus side I doubt many folk across the globe have much interest in watching us v the likes of Burnley so the superleague prob will happen sooner or later. 

• Like 2

The gap between the top three and the rest will just get bigger and bigger until there is little point in even watching it and the EPL will no longer have a marketable product as there is no sport or competition involved.

Edited by duke63

Half of the UAE seem to be Chelsea fans judging by today's game. The third biggest team (debatable) in London who did practically nothing until Roman showed up with his coins. As much as modern football sucks for us, imagine Spurs fans. A genuine big club (certainly bigger than Chelsea pre cash injection) who can barely compete anymore themselves. 

One of the most one sided games I have ever seen. First half we were broadly competitive but Man City moved into 2nd gear from the 2nd half KO and we were nowhere.

Hopefully Idah not out for too long as we have zero physical presence up front and no outlet if we are to lump the ball forward.

Josh played as though he was still under the weather leaving Max to deal with Sterling and Zinchenko on his own.

Our midfield remains horrendously weak at this level.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Good thing we banned the drum god forbid we have an atompshere

Would only effect those there at the ground cc,  you'll be fine!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, City 2nd said:

Man city v NCFC epitomises exactly the state of football  in the UK today. Man city are top of the tree, yes, but they have been allowed to be there by the very weak FA and EPL management. They have in essence been allowed to purchase the title using the vast amounts of cash their owners put into their club. They are closely followed by Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea. 
And then we have the other end of the scale, the NCFC’s who simply cannot compete at this same level. Before football dies a death in this country, because it will, the FA and EPL management simply have to devise a leveling up of the playing field, by capping such. club  investment! Who in their right minds want to watch NCFC get thrashed by these clubs, as they have, and will do in the future if the status quo is maintained. It’s just not football any more!

It'll go pop at some point, it always does. Over the years various leagues have had more cash and attracted more players.

You think PSG would have the calibre of players it does without it's wealth? Not a chance. The French league is ok, but not been the top in Europe for some time. It's why PSG are so desperate to win the Champions League, so they can be considered a giant of European football.

Then you look at Real and Barca - both teams hugely in debt and struggled to rebuild the teams they financed to get into that much debt. We're meant to feel sorry for Messi, and hail him a hero, yet he was banking £100k's per week and contributed to the huge debt they are in. Then he doesn't get offered that much again and it's the club that's mean, he didn't want to leave, yadda yadda.

The PL will face similar issues as well in due course. Some of the players have been getting away with paying taxes through the same loopholes as top bankers etc. So getting paid via off sure accounts to avoid tax. There is a reason Aguero was one of the richest men in England over the last couple of years before he went to Barca.

Things like that tighten up and players gravitate elsewhere. Like China. No player went there to further their career. Oscar left Chelsea to go there to be paid millions to play obscure teams made up essentially of amateur level players. Turkey isn't far off the same having had some players like van der vaart and Sneijder go there purely for the financial benefits. That's fair enough, but it does show that if push comes to shove, players follow the money.

If there is to be a wage cap etc, it'll need to be Europe wide. I actually don't think it'll bother the big teams now. As argued elsewhere, we're far too far down the path now. FFP essentially helped to ringfence and secure the status of teams who had been allowed to live free and easy with money before. Having long ago established a monopoly in terms of market position etc. It's why Man Utd are still able to compete financially even though they struggle to win anything or compete for the league title these days.

The homegrown rules haven't helped either. Just pushed top clubs into investing more into foreign youngsters to ensure they count as homegrown like Krul and Hanley, for example (though Hanley hardly feels the same but there you go).

It actually needs quite drastic change IMHO. No more of this "I'm pumping money into the club" rubbish when in reality it's a loan with high interests. Clubs need to be forced to run within their means, so limit on amount of total debt. Wage caps, with separate bonus caps (I think this is how the US NFL do things, wage cap but with certain number of players allowed outside of that or something). Perhaps even an NFL style player trading system, with all agents having to be regulated with a cap on their % too.

It's gone far too far.

I actually think a European super league is actually highly unlikely. For one, it's just too risky. Look at what could happen if one of the countries suddenly goes into economic decline and the money dries up? Those teams won't be welcomed back into the fold easily. Their fans will revolt too, the plastics might not, but the true home fans will. I actually think if it was going to happen, the opportunity was when they threatened too.

I also think the future of TV rights very much has a looming cloud over it. With streaming becoming more and more popular, I can see clubs looking to have their own channels, cut out the middle men and take the advertising revenue straight into their pockets. Back in the day, having Sky or BT do it for them provided them a service they were neither used to or experienced in. Fast forward 20yrs and every club has an online presence now and are finding that their sponsors, whether local or otherwise, can get more exposure online through them. They have media officials, they even have live streams before and after games. Think Eadie with former players.

If the BBC go privatised, which is looking to be on the cards, I can see clubs looking for an online platform that could essentially take in local commentators previously with the BBC and going it alone. The big clubs certainly will.

Sporting Lisbon are making this look like a decent game played by Norwich.

Edited by Jambomo

On 13/02/2022 at 20:00, chicken said:

It'll go pop at some point, it always does. Over the years various leagues have had more cash and attracted more players.

You think PSG would have the calibre of players it does without it's wealth? Not a chance. The French league is ok, but not been the top in Europe for some time. It's why PSG are so desperate to win the Champions League, so they can be considered a giant of European football.

Then you look at Real and Barca - both teams hugely in debt and struggled to rebuild the teams they financed to get into that much debt. We're meant to feel sorry for Messi, and hail him a hero, yet he was banking £100k's per week and contributed to the huge debt they are in. Then he doesn't get offered that much again and it's the club that's mean, he didn't want to leave, yadda yadda.

The PL will face similar issues as well in due course. Some of the players have been getting away with paying taxes through the same loopholes as top bankers etc. So getting paid via off sure accounts to avoid tax. There is a reason Aguero was one of the richest men in England over the last couple of years before he went to Barca.

Things like that tighten up and players gravitate elsewhere. Like China. No player went there to further their career. Oscar left Chelsea to go there to be paid millions to play obscure teams made up essentially of amateur level players. Turkey isn't far off the same having had some players like van der vaart and Sneijder go there purely for the financial benefits. That's fair enough, but it does show that if push comes to shove, players follow the money.

If there is to be a wage cap etc, it'll need to be Europe wide. I actually don't think it'll bother the big teams now. As argued elsewhere, we're far too far down the path now. FFP essentially helped to ringfence and secure the status of teams who had been allowed to live free and easy with money before. Having long ago established a monopoly in terms of market position etc. It's why Man Utd are still able to compete financially even though they struggle to win anything or compete for the league title these days.

The homegrown rules haven't helped either. Just pushed top clubs into investing more into foreign youngsters to ensure they count as homegrown like Krul and Hanley, for example (though Hanley hardly feels the same but there you go).

It actually needs quite drastic change IMHO. No more of this "I'm pumping money into the club" rubbish when in reality it's a loan with high interests. Clubs need to be forced to run within their means, so limit on amount of total debt. Wage caps, with separate bonus caps (I think this is how the US NFL do things, wage cap but with certain number of players allowed outside of that or something). Perhaps even an NFL style player trading system, with all agents having to be regulated with a cap on their % too.

It's gone far too far.

I actually think a European super league is actually highly unlikely. For one, it's just too risky. Look at what could happen if one of the countries suddenly goes into economic decline and the money dries up? Those teams won't be welcomed back into the fold easily. Their fans will revolt too, the plastics might not, but the true home fans will. I actually think if it was going to happen, the opportunity was when they threatened too.

I also think the future of TV rights very much has a looming cloud over it. With streaming becoming more and more popular, I can see clubs looking to have their own channels, cut out the middle men and take the advertising revenue straight into their pockets. Back in the day, having Sky or BT do it for them provided them a service they were neither used to or experienced in. Fast forward 20yrs and every club has an online presence now and are finding that their sponsors, whether local or otherwise, can get more exposure online through them. They have media officials, they even have live streams before and after games. Think Eadie with former players.

If the BBC go privatised, which is looking to be on the cards, I can see clubs looking for an online platform that could essentially take in local commentators previously with the BBC and going it alone. The big clubs certainly will.

I was impressed with the government review by Tracy Crouch. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/fan-led-review-of-football-governance-securing-the-games-future/fan-led-review-of-football-governance-securing-the-games-future

Clubs will fight tooth and nail against it but a regulatory body is coming 

• Like 1

The Sporting result demonstrates an element of perspective from Saturday.  As will the likely result when we play Liverpool at the weekend.  
Everyone plays these teams twice, it’s just our turn now and I can’t decide if it’s good to get them out the way back back or not as we risk a confidence zapping gap to safety to appear again.