Sign in to follow this  
Yobocop

MOTD - so lazy!!!

Let's be honest, the BBC are pretty crap at sport in general.

Look at the once called "Crown Jewels" of sport that they have ditched over the years whilst at the same time spending all their money on mostly rubbish.

No golf, no horsre racing, no cricket, limited tennis, no F1, the list is endless.

And I note, that they have just reinstated BBC3 which is full of even more crap, as is BBC4.

3 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Look at the once called "Crown Jewels" of sport that they have ditched over the years whilst at the same time spending all their money on mostly rubbish.

No golf, no horsre racing, no cricket, limited tennis, no F1, the list is endless.

And I note, that they have just reinstated BBC3 which is full of even more crap, as is BBC4.

Ah, the old “I don’t like it, so it’s crap” argument.

2 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Bring back Grandstand!

They brought back BBC 3 after the number of 17 to 34 year old watching BBC collapsed! 

BBC 4 is just frustrating.  There is so much music they could broadcast, but they continue to rehash Fleetwood Mac stuff.  Boring. 

Ironic that on a day when many decide to pick on the BBC's coverage of football, ITV should cover the Liverpool game with Ally McCoist providing 'expert' analysis. What a total and utter ****. Thankfully the BBC can't afford him. 

7 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Ironic that on a day when many decide to pick on the BBC's coverage of football, ITV should cover the Liverpool game with Ally McCoist providing 'expert' analysis. What a total and utter ****. Thankfully the BBC can't afford him. 

They can afford buying domestic tv rights to premier league highlights that are available for free, on demand hours before they broadcast them. And pay the presenters the highest wages in all of football punditry though…

13 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

They haven't ditched. They simply were outbid by Rupert. Imagine the uproar if they had pumped licence payer's money into some of these sports. 

10 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Bring back Grandstand!

They brought back BBC 3 after the number of 17 to 34 year old watching BBC collapsed! 

BBC 4 is just frustrating.  There is so much music they could broadcast, but they continue to rehash Fleetwood Mac stuff.  Boring. 

The BBC thinking they can appeal at all to the 17 to 34 year old age bracket is the biggest laugh of all 😂

The 'highlight' last night was Manish Whatsisname proudly boasting that,after the FA Cup matches,they had the bonus(his exact words) of the only Premier League fixture played yesterday 🤣🤣🤣

F*ck me,I couldn't wait to see Burnley and Watford giving us a feast of football !!

13 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Wow, anti BBC bias or what - as ever most of it utter drivel; the tv licence is 43p a day - anyone considering that a waste of money is pretty daft.  Their coverage of NCFC is pretty weak, but then so is almost all the (London) media’s.

Prime, Netflix and Disney+ are all cheaper, some much cheaper.

Personally I rarely watch BBC and they have this annoying habit of selling the TV shows I’ve already paid for to other streamers rather than retaining that catalogue on iPlayer (this is getting slightly better).

I actually think it’s very hard to argue the BBC represents good value for money nowadays for most people.

That all said I’m in no way one of those that wants to see the BBC gone, I just think it needs a radical change for the modern world that it’s probably unwilling to undertake.

It’s caught between being popular and being a genuine public service. Lineker being a case in point, he’s an extravagance, a name that does nothing to justify his expense and someone far cheaper could do a better job.

Dear BBC,

I don't tend to watch MOTD these days as it's mainly become a bit of a jerk circle of retired professional footballers blowing smoke up each other’s rectums. That said, I would still expect your staff to do their feckin homework before making comment on the teams they watch (or clearly don't as the case may be). 

When one of your pundits was discussing Wolves V Norwich City, they stated that, "Billy Gilmour has been a key figure in Norwich’s resurgence." Well this came as news to us Norwich fans...seeing as he hasn't played for us in the two league games we won before Wolves.

I know we're only Norwich and so don't really matter in the great scheme of things but at least pretend you're still professional and give a sh1t.

To compensate for his egregious error, I would like a refund of my licence fee for that day. Please send a cheque for 44p to the charity of your choice. Please ensure you do likewise for all other complaints you get on this matter.

I like to be constructive, so by way of offering a helping hand (or jerk), I have this suggestion: sack Lineker and spend his wages on getting together a small army of researchers to actually watch the games; you should be able to get at least a battalion strength group together with his wodge.

Please raise your game. Good day.

Disco Dale's Jockstrap

Edited by Disco Dales Jockstrap
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

23 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

They can afford buying domestic tv rights to premier league highlights that are available for free, on demand hours before they broadcast them. And pay the presenters the highest wages in all of football punditry though…

I'm afraid not. Gary Neville earns £4m a year from Sky. Which is more than double what Lineker earns. And although Neville is a nice enough guy there is no way he could do what Lineker does. 

4 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I'm afraid not. Gary Neville earns £4m a year from Sky. Which is more than double what Lineker earns. And although Neville is a nice enough guy there is no way he could do what Lineker does. 

What does Lineker do exactly?

£1.36m/yr Lineker gets from the BBC. And this is £400k down from the previous year. Really? For presenting a very poor, very light on actual content one hour highlights package? Difficult to pass this off as VFM I would say. Also the seemingly endless gravy train of ‘expert’ analysts- Shearer, Danny Murphy, Micah Richards (… really?) et al, who contribute nothing that anyone with basic coaching badges couldn’t provide. Get rid of the presenting dross and provide better match coverage IMO. Mind you I’d occasionally probably dip in and out of watching it regardless, definitely more so than the other ****e that BBC produce these days (The Wall, MM’s The Wheel etc etc).

Edited by Beetley Yellow

22 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Personally I rarely watch BBC and they have this annoying habit of selling the TV shows I’ve already paid for to other streamers rather than retaining that catalogue on iPlayer (this is getting slightly better).

I actually think it’s very hard to argue the BBC represents good value for money nowadays for most people.

That all said I’m in no way one of those that wants to see the BBC gone, I just think it needs a radical change for the modern world that it’s probably unwilling to undertake.

It’s caught between being popular and being a genuine public service. Lineker being a case in point, he’s an extravagance, a name that does nothing to justify his expense and someone far cheaper could do a better job.

The other problem the BBC has is greed. They try and justify the licence by pointing to the quality of their drama but they also sell these programs to Netflix, Disney, Amazon. These subscription services are jammed full of BBC content. It is no longer a unique benefit of the licence

Just for the record neither the murdoch owned Sunday Times nor the guardian media group observer (impeccably balanced Sunday newspaper reading there) had a wolves v norwich match report and nor did itv have the McLean goal but did show most of the rest before the cup draw.

Let's face it not the bbc but all media outlets are adverse to the long march to Norfolk or to a place in need of levelling up like Wolverhampton.

We must stand on our own two feet and support ncfc in keeping in the epl. We who laugh last! OTBC

48 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

He does a lot more work than lineker though. All sorts of commentary as well as analysis and co presenting. Per minute of screen time he’s much cheaper. Lineker does this too…. But not for the BBC

1 hour ago, Monty13 said:

But the Netflix subscription doesn't get you, apart from several TV channels, more than 50 radio stations, iPlayer, and the World Service. It doesn't get you a news service that, whatever the right-wing culture warriors would have you believe, is  generally the most respected and trusted in the world. It is not just a UK TV station.

10 minutes ago, Besthorpe-48 said:

Just for the record neither the murdoch owned Sunday Times nor the guardian media group observer (impeccably balanced Sunday newspaper reading there) had a wolves v norwich match report and nor did itv have the McLean goal but did show most of the rest before the cup draw.

Let's face it not the bbc but all media outlets are adverse to the long march to Norfolk or to a place in need of levelling up like Wolverhampton.

We must stand on our own two feet and support ncfc in keeping in the epl. We who laugh last! OTBC

But isn’t that the so called point of the licence? To pay for unprofitable and sometimes niche content to benefit all residents (regardless of geography), not just the majority. 

55 minutes ago, Beetley Yellow said:

Mind you I’d occasionally probably dip in and out of watching it regardless, definitely more so than the other ****e that BBC produce these days (The Wall, MM’s The Wheel etc etc).

Ha, re. The Wheel.

I attended a conference where the guy who provides the theme and the incidental music discussed this programme. He said it was just a stop gap for Saturday nights during Covid lockdown to get a programme out when they couldn't get a live audience in for another McIntyre stand up show.  No-one at the BBC expected it to be successful, but the great British public responded by watching it in droves - the Beeb's best Saturday audience figures in years, so it was kept on, and apparently is the BBC's best worldwide syndicated programme ever earning millions if not billions for them! 

Populist TV on the BBC hey.  😆🤔

Edited by shefcanary

4 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

But the Netflix subscription doesn't get you, apart from several TV channels, more than 50 radio stations, iPlayer, and the World Service. It doesn't get you a news service that, whatever the right-wing culture warriors would have you believe, is  generally the most respected and trusted in the world. It is not just a UK TV station.

Subscriptions services don’t need tv channels. That’s the point, people want to watch what they want when they want on demand now. The internet has completely changed the consumer habits. That is what iplayer is too, just without the films and rich selection of sport (also the other subscriptions are jam packed with BBC content).

DAB radio means the need for dedicated regional radio services has gone. Not sure if you’ve watched the world service, it’s not cutting edge. Plus who gets the benefit of world service? Non uk residents, but who pays for it?

There is no other argument for the licence than it’s coverage is fact based and thus balanced  instead of politically driven. I’m certainly not right wing or even political but I think the evidence of political leaning in BBC reporting is clear. Look what it ‘chooses’ for the BBC homepage.

1 hour ago, Herman said:

They haven't ditched. They simply were outbid by Rupert. Imagine the uproar if they had pumped licence payer's money into some of these sports. 

You mean instead of spending £90m on a new set for Eastenders

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Ha, re. The Wheel.

I attended a conference where the guy who provides the theme and the incidental music discussed this programme. He said it was just a stop gap for Saturday nights during Covid lockdown to get a programme out when they couldn't get a live audience in for another McIntyre stand up show.  No-one at the BBC expected it to be successful, but the great British public responded by watching it in droves - the Beeb's best Saturday audience figures in years, so it was kept on, and apparently is the BBC's best worldwide syndicated programme ever earning millions if not billions for them! 

Populist TV on the BBC hey.  😆🤔

Billions?…..

The BBC should be funded from general funds anyway ... there are some things - like impartial news, armed forces, healthcare and education - that should accessible to all, paid for by for all.

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

You mean instead of spending £90m on a new set for Eastenders

Yes, because that is exactly the same as spending billions of pounds on sporting rights.

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

Netflix at a tenner a month (less if you choose the single device option) or the illegally enforced cost for the BBC, its not even a close race. Someone mentioned 43p a day for your TV license, it's a rip off at that but either way it shouldn't be enforced to be able to watch non BBC terrestrial channels.

I'll be glad in a few years when it's abolished. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

I mean the bbc doesn’t get me free delivery on practically anything including groceries, free music to stream, free games as well as movies and TV at half the yearly price of the licence like prime, so if you want to fully compare it to the competitors I think it often comes worse off to most individuals.

“I actually think it’s very hard to argue the BBC represents good value for money nowadays for most people.”

I think you are missing my point. I value the BBC existing and offering a lot of the services it does, but as an individual I hardly use it, most people hardly use everything it offers you’ve listed.

Like I said it’s caught between being popular and being a public service, unfortunately those two things are usually not in the same venn diagram. In short, Linekar is a massive waste of money.

"There is no other argument for the licence than it’s coverage is fact based and thus balanced  instead of politically driven. I’m certainly not right wing or even political but I think the evidence of political leaning in BBC reporting is clear. Look what it ‘chooses’ for the BBC homepage"

So those who can't afford subscription TV, like old age pensioners, those living below the poverty line, you'd remove the BBC as a free channel. It's great value for money.

if you think the BBC are left wing leaning you are definitely political and I was suggest, ring wing. In my opinion.

2 hours ago, hertfordyellow said:

The other problem the BBC has is greed. They try and justify the licence by pointing to the quality of their drama but they also sell these programs to Netflix, Disney, Amazon. These subscription services are jammed full of BBC content. It is no longer a unique benefit of the licence

That’s the main issue I have with the BBC, I basically only pay my licence fee to support it existing and I’m seriously considering not continuing. The main thing I want from it it sells to other services and denies me.

• Like 1