Sign in to follow this  
Yobocop

MOTD - so lazy!!!

Just now, Kenny Foggo said:

I think the licence fee will have to go but if it is attempted in the timescale that our cultural secretary wants, it will destroy an institution that is well respected around the world. Give it ten to twenty years to sort out alternative funding in a structured planned manner.

🤦‍♂️ in 10 years it’ll be VR, in 20 years it’ll be neuralink… the BBC is out of time. It’s over.

12 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

🤦‍♂️ in 10 years it’ll be VR, in 20 years it’ll be neuralink… the BBC is out of time. It’s over.

Disagree. It has been changing and will continue to... Provides great tv and radio for millions around the planet of all ages. Reckon we'll have to disagree on this one. 

52 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

I think the licence fee will have to go but if it is attempted in the timescale that our cultural secretary wants, it will destroy an institution that is well respected around the world. Give it ten to twenty years to sort out alternative funding in a structured planned manner.

It could sell its content to all the subscription services to raise funds. Oh wait it’s already done that while claiming it’s content is unique

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

It could sell its content to all the subscription services to raise funds. Oh wait it’s already done that while claiming it’s content is unique

And then creates its own platform and asks you to pay extra for on demand even though you’ve payed a licence already and they’ve sold the series to other streaming platforms

clown organisation 

5 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

And then creates its own platform and asks you to pay extra for on demand even though you’ve payed a licence already and they’ve sold the series to other streaming platforms

clown organisation 

Isn't that like saying because you paid to watch a film at the cinema you should be able to stream it for no extra charge at a later date? 

4 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Isn't that like saying because you paid to watch a film at the cinema you should be able to stream it for no extra charge at a later date? 

You have the choice if you want to pay for a cinema ticket or not. 

1 minute ago, hertfordyellow said:

You have the choice if you want to pay for a cinema ticket or not. 

Fair point, won't dispute that. But you get my point? 

6 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Fair point, won't dispute that. But you get my point? 

Kind of, but I think the problem people have is they are told that they ‘get all this content’ for the licence fee as if it is exclusive to the paying British public only to see Sherlock, War and Peace, The last Kingdom etc turn up on Netflix a matter of months later for a worldwide audience. It’s either a perk of the licence or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Sorry 10 to 20 years is crazy, a business would restructure far quicker and adapt to the market, the BBC is failing too adapt precisely because it doesn’t have to.

People are forced to pay the licence fee regardless of whether they want to or not but even then numbers who do are dwindling as people move online. My TV isn’t even connected to an aerial, we threw it away while renovating and that’s getting more and more common.

If the BBC wants to survive in the way many of us want it to it should be driving the change it so desperately needs imo, regardless of who is in government.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Yobocop said:

‘Billy Gilmour has been a key figure in Norwich’s resurgence’ 

Billy Gilmour is probably the only thing most football fans/pundits know about Norwich. And they dont even know that. Remember - they get paid for this drivel, and your Licence fee funds it. They dont even have enough respect for us (or their craft) to learn how to pronouce Idah properly. I mean, the guy isnt some obscure youngster, he has 13 caps and 9 goals for Republic of Ireland

Edited by The Great Mass Debater

1 hour ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Billy Gilmour is probably the only thing most football fans/pundits know about Norwich. And they dont even know that. Remember - they get paid for this drivel, and your Licence fee funds it. They dont even have enough respect for us (or their craft) to learn how to pronouce Idah properly. I mean, the guy isnt some obscure youngster, he has 13 caps and 9 goals for Republic of Ireland

You're allowed to get it wrong because you don't work for the BBC - he hasn't got 9 goals for the Republic of Ireland he's actually got 0. (Even if Wikipedia says he's got 9!).

Agree with the rest of your point btw.

Idah scored a hatful of international goals underage but is yet to rattle one at senior level. Hopefully he can show some good form over the second half of this season, benefitting both NCFC & Ireland. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

Yeah, but you’re some rich, old dude from the most expensive part of the UK. Of course you think it’s value for money. You’re loaded

Have you been to Redruth  Buho? It's pretty much dead on its feet. Or Bodmin? ..a shoitehole . Not all of Cornwall is a retirement home for  ex stockbrokers.  The shops in these towns indicate the local economy...  and half the shop fronts are empty,  the rest  are charity shops with low quality  stock,  poundland and the odd poxy caff. Apologies for being so disparaging about your homeplace  @keelansgrandad, but I was shocked  at the poverty/ alchos  on the street/ general sense of emptiness and dereliction. These are not boomtowns. 

Edited by wcorkcanary

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

Have you been to Redruth  Buho? It's pretty much dead on its feet. Or Bodmin? ..a shoitehole . Not all of Cornwall is a retirement home for  ex stockbrokers.  The shops in these towns indicate the local economy...  and half the shop fronts are empty,  the rest  are charity shops with low quality  stock,  poundland and the odd poxy caff. Apologies for being so disparaging about your homeplace  @keelansgrandad, but I was shocked  at the poverty/ alchos  on the street/ general sense of emptiness and dereliction. These are not boomtowns. 

Are you sure you weren’t in Ipswich Corky? 🤔

10 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Are you sure you weren’t in Ipswich Corky? 🤔

Pretty  sure  Nuffo, spent a lot of the time counting peoples fingers and checking for webbed feet.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

Cornwall is a mixed bag.  I used to live there and can confirm that there is real poverty in some areas. Old mining towns where there is precious little in the way of well paid jobs, high unemployment. I wouldn't call Bodmin a shoithole, but it is poor - Bodmin, Liskeard, St Austell, Camborne, Redruth - even Penzance, all have a lot of people on low incomes.  Some richer areas, mainly on the coast, but overall not a rich county.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Monty13 said:

Sorry 10 to 20 years is crazy, a business would restructure far quicker and adapt to the market, the BBC is failing too adapt precisely because it doesn’t have to.

OT, but this unfounded assetion is errant nonsense. The BBC is working furiously the develop public services that fit future landscape. Whether is is enough, and whether it will be successful is abother matter. Like print media, linear television is in terminal decline. What is true that unless we want our media dominated by unelected (and often foreign) oligarch pushing their personal agendas we should hope the BBC is successful and survives.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

wouldn't call Bodmin a shoithole, but it is poor

Been there  twice in recent years mainly to visit the Millets there.  There were lots of street drinkers and  associated  noise, arguments , drama etc both times. The chippy had a sign that it  opened at 4, we waited till nearly half past , then a local said it didn't usually open before 6..... try the ' spoons they said . No thanks. Makes North Walsham look prosperous. 

40 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Been there  twice in recent years mainly to visit the Millets there.  There were lots of street drinkers and  associated  noise, arguments , drama etc both times. The chippy had a sign that it  opened at 4, we waited till nearly half past , then a local said it didn't usually open before 6..... try the ' spoons they said . No thanks. Makes North Walsham look prosperous. 

Eating chips with spoons, that's barbaric. 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

The chippy had a sign that it  opened at 4, we waited till nearly half past , then a local said it didn't usually open before 6.....

The main street was always a bit.....err.....characterful....but I haven't been there for a few years, so it may have gone more downhill. Chip shop didn't open on time? All part of the Cornish "experience" 🙂

I am by no means in support of MotD, as they struggle relentlessly to focus on the big teams as much as Sky do...

But Chris Goreham (who is an excellent excellent commentator) on Rad Nor/ our highlights also thought Rashica was BG setting up Idah 😬

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

The main street was always a bit.....err.....characterful....but I haven't been there for a few years, so it may have gone more downhill. Chip shop didn't open on time? All part of the Cornish "experience" 🙂

Opening hours were a bit strange - when I last visited restaurants were taking no customers at 9pm in high summer.  Christ, when you have been on the beach all day, after showering etc. to have to rush to get a table to eat - well - first world problem of the highest order!  🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BigFish said:

OT, but this unfounded assetion is errant nonsense. The BBC is working furiously the develop public services that fit future landscape. Whether is is enough, and whether it will be successful is abother matter. Like print media, linear television is in terminal decline. What is true that unless we want our media dominated by unelected (and often foreign) oligarch pushing their personal agendas we should hope the BBC is successful and survives.

10-20 years is a lifetime in digital media, so I’m not sure what’s errant about what I’ve said. I find the idea that the BBC needs that kind of length of time to figure things out ridiculous considering how quickly the landscape is changing.

I don’t doubt the BBC is doing things to adapt, my point was if the BBC didn’t have the guaranteed income it has through the license fee it would have to adapt far quicker.

I really don’t understand why people think anyone with a desire to change the BBC is involved in some Tory scam. I want to see the BBC adapt and quickly precisely because I want it to remain an independent public service not be destroyed.

• Like 1

On 06/02/2022 at 23:05, Thirsty Lizard said:

You're allowed to get it wrong because you don't work for the BBC - he hasn't got 9 goals for the Republic of Ireland he's actually got 0. (Even if Wikipedia says he's got 9!).

Agree with the rest of your point btw.

Fair enough - a valuable lesson on the unreliability of Wikipedia! I was really just looking for the number of caps because I didnt actually think he'd scored for ROI - but Wikipedia said he'd scored a few so included that!

On 07/02/2022 at 09:19, BigFish said:

Bravo! But your liberal views are far too enlightened for many of the denizens of this little den of mutton.