Jump to content
cambridgeshire canary

Can we get a refund for Sargent?

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Petriix said:

That's still £4.5m per goal. A great start after showing little in his first half season. Let's reserve judgement until we see what he can do in the Championship.

More looking forward to Seeing him in the next 16 games personally, but each to their own.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Besthorpe-48 said:

Been a lot of premature commentary/ejaculation* (delete according to your view ) on here about josh sargeant.

Also been a lot of unfair criticism aimed at him as well 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2021 at 23:22, Six Pack said:

You have something here ! Before the Newcastle game I put Tzolis behind Sargent in the pecking order - they both seem to not know what to do with ball but Sargent had physicality. Against Newcastle he again appeared innocuous until popping up in the Newcastle box and getting shots away out of nothing. Also supplied a cross that could have resulted in a goal. Was unhappy to see him subbed.  Agree with you and hope S & S picked up on that too !!

Actually, I'd say Placheta's the guy to do that with. He can shoot - he looks quite decent when he cuts inside and hits one. Just tell him to stay on the shoulder of the last defender or thereabouts and honk long balls towards him with Idah and Sargent knocking around. Could be an entertaining counter-attack.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Actually, I'd say Placheta's the guy to do that with. He can shoot - he looks quite decent when he cuts inside and hits one. Just tell him to stay on the shoulder of the last defender or thereabouts and honk long balls towards him with Idah and Sargent knocking around. Could be an entertaining counter-attack.

The real question is however…

Is Placheta 

image.jpeg.bf179bde8fef776487f8806fb9945b28.jpeg
 

actually Robbie Keen from Cobra Kai?

image.jpeg.aedb928e29a05c1979fb68b6196b6e65.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

The real question is however…

Is Placheta 

image.jpeg.bf179bde8fef776487f8806fb9945b28.jpeg
 

actually Robbie Keen from Cobra Kai?

image.jpeg.aedb928e29a05c1979fb68b6196b6e65.jpeg

I misread that as Robbie Keane and thought "well, if we turn Placheta into Robbie Keane that would solve a fair few problems!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Petriix said:

That's still £4.5m per goal. A great start after showing little in his first half season. Let's reserve judgement until we see what he can do in the Championship.

We're 17th and you are talking about the Championship?

Sargent has played most of his football for us on the right wing now, and he's doubled Emi's tally from last time in this league and he's equalled Emi's tally for Villa this season. Both have 2 goals in 19 appearances.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

I misread that as Robbie Keane and thought "well, if we turn Placheta into Robbie Keane that would solve a fair few problems!"

Hahah you do you fella, but apologies I’ve been watching too much Cobra Kai the last few days and it’s anchored my psyche.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Besthorpe-48 said:

Been a lot of premature commentary/ejaculation* (delete according to your view ) on here about josh sargeant.

Oh well, football fans are fickle, always have been and always will be.

Vast majority of us will be pleased that he's coming good, because we want our team to succeed.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Petriix said:

That's still £4.5m per goal. A great start after showing little in his first half season. Let's reserve judgement until we see what he can do in the Championship.

I didn't realise his contract ran out after yesterday's game, even if it did by my maths it's £2.25 million or do cup games not count? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

I didn't realise his contract ran out after yesterday's game, even if it did by my maths it's £2.25 million or do cup games not count? 

Of course not, particularly if you've spent the last couple of months pointing out how **** a signing Sarg is.

Also, I would much rather spend time watching Josh prove his ability in the Premiership rather than worry about how he does in the Championship.

Does make one wonder about the mentality of some fans; almost like they would rather see us relegated and in the Champs so they can prove themselves right, as opposed to embracing the fact we have given ourselves a fighting chance?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ian said:

Of course not, particularly if you've spent the last couple of months pointing out how **** a signing Sarg is.

Also, I would much rather spend time watching Josh prove his ability in the Premiership rather than worry about how he does in the Championship.

Does make one wonder about the mentality of some fans; almost like they would rather see us relegated and in the Champs so they can prove themselves right, as opposed to embracing the fact we have given ourselves a fighting chance?

100%, now I'm not going to lie and say I hadn't written us off prior to Everton because I did, and I'm not going lie and say that I didn't say Sargent was a terrible signing because I did, but unlike a few here I'm absolutely delighted if I'm proven wrong. Maybe when he comes back from injury Gilmour will prove me wrong too 👍

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ken Hairy said:

100%, now I'm not going to lie and say I hadn't written us off prior to Everton because I did, and I'm not going lie and say that I didn't say Sargent was a terrible signing because I did, but unlike a few here I'm absolutely delighted if I'm proven wrong. Maybe when he comes back from injury Gilmour will prove me wrong too 👍

Let’s hope Gilmour also comes good - being honest does a shift to 4 4 2 suit Billy, I wonder if he will now only play if Idah or Pukki are out of the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The £4.5 million fee per Premier League goal (so far) for Josh looks like a stunning piece of business when you compare him with Jadon Sancho (currently weighing in at £74 million per Premier League goal) 😂

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ken Hairy said:

100%, now I'm not going to lie and say I hadn't written us off prior to Everton because I did, and I'm not going lie and say that I didn't say Sargent was a terrible signing because I did, but unlike a few here I'm absolutely delighted if I'm proven wrong. Maybe when he comes back from injury Gilmour will prove me wrong too 👍

Totally agree. I said to my wife previously that Sargent looks really lively with the ball but doesn't seem to have any sort of goal-scoring ability.

IMO the key is to say "I was wrong about that", rather than double down and make absolutely **** excuses as to why you are still correct.

The simple truth is, to all those who said Sargent was a write off and 8/9 million quid was too much... you were wrong, he has IMO already repaid a lot of that fee just a few months into his contract, and that there is one hell of a lot more to come from him. Literally, Josh now has very little left to prove for the relatively minimal amount we paid for him.

If, by the end of the season, he hasn't added to his tally and we end up bottom of the pile I will surely hold my hands up and admit I was utterly wrong. Until then I intend to get behind the lads and believe we can pull off the Great Escape.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Petriix said:

That's still £4.5m per goal. A great start after showing little in his first half season. Let's reserve judgement until we see what he can do in the Championship.

Do you typically judge wide players on their transfer fee divided by goals scored? 

How's Rashica done using this metric?

Edited by kirku

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kirku said:

Do you typically judge wide players on their transfer fee divided by goals scored? 

How's Rashica done using this metric?

I'm still firmly in the 'all our summer transfer business was awful' camp. I don't rate Rashica so far either. That's why we're doing so badly. Two wins against woefully out of form teams and the fact we've played more games than anyone else at the bottom have temporarily lifted us outside the relegation zone. That doesn't mean we're suddenly guaranteed survival.

I'll stand by what I said. I'll reserve judgement on Sargent until next season in the Championship. Hopefully he'll do well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Petriix said:

I'm still firmly in the 'all our summer transfer business was awful' camp. I don't rate Rashica so far either. That's why we're doing so badly. Two wins against woefully out of form teams and the fact we've played more games than anyone else at the bottom have temporarily lifted us outside the relegation zone. That doesn't mean we're suddenly guaranteed survival.

I'll stand by what I said. I'll reserve judgement on Sargent until next season in the Championship. Hopefully he'll do well. 

I used to agree with you when we were doing badly, but you are just negative, and talk some utter rubbish. Teams who are on the poorer side of ability which we are, there is no disputing this, normally stay up by beating the team's around them. Shock we just beat two of them. This is exactly what we need to do, if we make it a hattrick will be delighted and Palace are very beatable. Or will you only be happy if we beat Man city. Think you you need to do a bit research before being so negative. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Petriix said:

I'm still firmly in the 'all our summer transfer business was awful' camp. I don't rate Rashica so far either. That's why we're doing so badly. Two wins against woefully out of form teams and the fact we've played more games than anyone else at the bottom have temporarily lifted us outside the relegation zone. That doesn't mean we're suddenly guaranteed survival.

I'll stand by what I said. I'll reserve judgement on Sargent until next season in the Championship. Hopefully he'll do well. 

I also think the summer business was poor, but the main accusation that I think has basis in fact (aside from yet more wasted loans) was that Webber seemed to recruit more on future potential than ability to impact games at this level - so it would be churlish to be negative when one of those signings did exactly that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Signings from outside of UK usually take half a season to adjust to the country, training, league.

A lot of disrespectful comments were made about the signings because they needed time to adjust. Lees-Melou, a player with plenty of Ligue 1 and European experience was particularly Targeted with Sargent. 
 

I think Sargent really compliments the front four and will be an asset in the coming months

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Newtopia said:

Let’s hope Gilmour also comes good - being honest does a shift to 4 4 2 suit Billy, I wonder if he will now only play if Idah or Pukki are out of the game.

I would not mind at all if Gilmour doesn't play again for us.

He is a loan player who is here for Chelsea's and his own benefit more than ours.

Let's look after our own players and not other club's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

I would not mind at all if Gilmour doesn't play again for us.

He is a loan player who is here for Chelsea's and his own benefit more than ours.

Let's look after our own players and not other club's.

Agreed, I would say he has to be netter than our own players to get selected.  I do wonder what Smith thinks of him, he has dropped him, and he has also backed him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jsim1986 said:

I used to agree with you when we were doing badly, but you are just negative, and talk some utter rubbish. Teams who are on the poorer side of ability which we are, there is no disputing this, normally stay up by beating the team's around them. Shock we just beat two of them. This is exactly what we need to do, if we make it a hattrick will be delighted and Palace are very beatable. Or will you only be happy if we beat Man city. Think you you need to do a bit research before being so negative. 

We're still odds-on favourites for the drop, you can get over 3-1 if you want to bet on us staying up. I'm not being negative, just realistic. The damage has already been done so we would have to pull out some unlikely results in the coming weeks.

You talk of 'research', but I'm not sure if you've actually looked at our remaining fixtures and picked out the ones you think we'll actually win. Our current league position is false due to the array of cancelled fixtures.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Van wink said:

Sargent peppers lowly Herts club

I mean. That is genius. All your own work or was it a real newspaper headline? Right up there with Super Caley go ballistic...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

I would not mind at all if Gilmour doesn't play again for us.

He is a loan player who is here for Chelsea's and his own benefit more than ours.

Let's look after our own players and not other club's.

Comments like this boggle my mind.

Not withstanding that we have had loan players who have been crucial to Norwich sides of the past (Skipp, anyone?) we always seem to need to assign a scapegoat.

Gilmour has not had an impressive season but show me any of our central midfielders that have. I think Billy has been just as good (or bad) as PLM, or McLean. Why this frothing at the mouth to suggest Gilmour has been out for him only or that Chelsea's interests are put above ours is absolute nonsense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

That’s awfully clever 👍

It should be banned

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I mean. That is genius. All your own work or was it a real newspaper headline? Right up there with Super Caley go ballistic...

It was posted on twitter within an hour of the match finishing Friday.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Petriix said:

I'm still firmly in the 'all our summer transfer business was awful' camp. I don't rate Rashica so far either. That's why we're doing so badly. Two wins against woefully out of form teams and the fact we've played more games than anyone else at the bottom have temporarily lifted us outside the relegation zone. That doesn't mean we're suddenly guaranteed survival.

I'll stand by what I said. I'll reserve judgement on Sargent until next season in the Championship. Hopefully he'll do well. 

Rashica was improving rapidly prior to his injury, that cross for the header was inch perfect on Friday. Lots more to come from him as confidence grows further. 1/9 to drop before Watford, 1/3 now. Beat Palace and you’ll struggle to get around 4/7. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...