Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Down to the final 2

1 minute ago, Alex Moss said:

Ha ha true! Yep he’s stopped short of saying the word ‘retired’ to be fair, but there’s numerous reports on the internet that say he won’t be managing in the Premier League again, I posted a Sky article about it on here earlier somewhere. 

Clint Eastwood has managed in the premier league?

Just now, Alex Moss said:

Ha ha true! Yep he’s stopped short of saying the word ‘retired’ to be fair, but there’s numerous reports on the internet that say he won’t be managing in the Premier League again, I posted a Sky article about it on here earlier somewhere. 

Stuart Webber said he wanted to give Farke more time. Worthington said Dean Ashton had a foot injury. Robert Chase said he'd not received any bids for Sutton. Hell Clinton said he did not have sexual relations with that woman!

• Haha 2

Well, the pink un is keeping its options open by having a piece extolling Knutsen and another explaining why Lampard might not be a bad choice. Which may well mean, as one poster said, it isn’t going to be either. My one certainty is that it will not be some stopgap choice to try to keep us up this season. It will be a long-term appointment, with the understanding that the incomer will probably be head coaching in the Championship next season.

• Like 1

Whoever it is certainly won't unite this forum.

I'm not interested in a manager that could do well in the Championship, we already had one of those, probably the best. Webber's brief is to avoid relegation and if that means a bit of short termism then so be it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Well, the pink un is keeping its options open by having a piece extolling Knutsen and another explaining why Lampard might not be a bad choice. Which may well mean, as one poster said, it isn’t going to be either. My one certainty is that it will not be some stopgap choice to try to keep us up this season. It will be a long-term appointment, with the understanding that the incomer will probably be head coaching in the Championship next season.

But if that's the case why not just keep Farke? Surely you dispense with a man 10 games after you gave him a 4 year contract because someone better was available.

If better means get relegated and then try to win the championship why dispense with Farke - we already have the best man for that job.

• Like 2

its very strange that we looking for new manager after sack Farke not before.

When sack some one 15 min after 1st win from months seems like you have done next appointment at 99%  !?

5 minutes ago, Boris said:

When sack some one 15 min after 1st win from months seems like you have done next appointment at 99%  !?

Staggering really. Almost feels deliberately vindictive and I suspect there may be more to this than meets the eye.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Boris said:

I think it’s pretty clear that Webber had a shortlist given the fact that within 48 hours of the sacking it’s widely accepted that it’s down to 2 candidates. 

We’re not “looking” for a manager at all, we’re in the process of negotiating and agreeing a deal with the manager that Webber wanted prior to the sacking. Unless you think that Webber should have done all this before sacking Farke, which would be ridiculous. No-one agrees a deal with someone for a vacancy that doesn’t yet exist.

Edited by Hoolahoop14
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Boris said:

But it's also sacking someone just before everyone goes off for best part of a week (or more for the internationals) away from Colney. Would it not have been harsher knowing that you were going to sack him either over the phone or have him come back just to be sacked and have to go straight back on a plane without being able to say goodbye to the people you'd been working with so closely for the last 4.5 years?

Any sacking is cruel, but once the decision had been made this was probably one of the best ways it could have been handled. The negotiations with the targets are expected to be concluded during the international break, having farke as dead man walking during that period would have been crueller...

35 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:
56 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

But if that's the case why not just keep Farke? Surely you dispense with a man 10 games after you gave him a 4 year contract because someone better was available.

If better means get relegated and then try to win the championship why dispense with Farke - we already have the best man for that job.

I must confess to being a bit confused over the thinking in all this.  There must have been more going on behind the scenes than most of us will know.  I assumed that sacking the whole coaching staff was because replacements were in place - and now, seemingly not, which is very odd. You don't just sack everybody for no reason! 

There must have been serious misgivings about the whole approach too much demanded of players in training maybe? Personality clashes....almost certainly. Webber has to be culpable too - he could have upheld Farke's authority but it looks as if he has sided with the players.  I'll not be able to watch some of those that were left out if they now come into the team, without thinking "were they causing ruptions behind the scenes ?" 

I'm a bit old school - the manager is in charge and you either fit in or you are out. That seems to have been Farke's approach and it worked - at least until we got players starting to get above themselves - or some coming in who were too used to a more molycoddling approach and used to having their egos massaged. In a Farke team, there is no room for egos and it worked in the sense that you felt everyone was in it together. I don't feel that now and we are the poorer for it.

18 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I assumed that sacking the whole coaching staff was because replacements were in place - and now, seemingly not, which is very odd. You don't just sack everybody for no reason! 

It's fairly common for this to happen now. It certainly never used to be the case, but these days most managers have a loyal team of "coaching staff" that follow them wherever they go. I suspect that wherever Farke rocks up next, they will all be with him.

I also don't think it would be healthy to have the coaching staff stay behind, particularly when they're so close to Farke and would almost certainly be following and continuing the same Farke methods. We've got rid of him for a reason, do we really want coaching staff continuing to take training exactly how they were under Farke? A clean break is best for all parties involved.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

My one certainty is that it will not be some stopgap choice to try to keep us up this season. It will be a long-term appointment, with the understanding that the incomer will probably be head coaching in the Championship next season

Have seen this suggestion a bit, but not sure I understand it. Surely the point of changing manager is to try to keep us up? I would have thought that the priority would be to find someone who can get the best out of this group of players? Then see where we are in the summer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paddycanary said:

The Rolling Stones have been retiring since the 80s. Perhaps with the sad demise of Charlie Watts, it could be a reality now.

I didn’t realise they were in the running? 

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Whoever it is certainly won't unite this forum.

I'm not interested in a manager that could do well in the Championship, we already had one of those, probably the best. Webber's brief is to avoid relegation and if that means a bit of short termism then so be it.

All doom and gloom 2 wins this month and we’re back with a shout 

10 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

That is not at all what I am saying. They will pick someone they think will do better in the Premier League than Farke, and that includes this season but also, if we get relegated and bounce back, then the season after next. But realistically whoever comes in needs to understand the chances are they will be head coaching  for at least one season in the Championship.

What I am pretty sure they will not do is go for a short-term fix to try to stay up, not least because all the supposed obvious candidates seem to be old-school managers rather than progressive head coaches.

And either way, whether it worked or not, we would be lumbered with the opposite of what we now regard as the ideal, and either have to keep them on, or expensively sack, and go through the process again.

PS. Where has this idea comes from that it is between Lampard and Smith? I would be amazed if that is true. It is less likely than neither of them being in the frame.

Edited by PurpleCanary

42 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

PS. Where has this idea comes from that it is between Lampard and Smith? I would be amazed if that is true. It is less likely than neither of them being in the frame.

It would certainly be a retrograde step imo.

7 minutes ago, ricardo said:

It would certainly be a retrograde step imo.

It's in the Telegraph.  Not a great provenance, but that's where it comes from

Fabrizio Romano has written in the Guardian this morning that we held talks with Lampard yesterday. If there’s any football journalist not connected to the club that I trust, it’s him. Lampard is definitely in the running.

Another interesting point in Romano’s article is that there is now 3 candidates, not 2. This leads me to believe that one of those candidates is Dean Smith. Let’s not forget, Smith was sacked by Villa after Farke, so Webber very likely didn’t factor him in to his initial shortlist. Now that he’s available, I suspect Webber has decided to consider him.

The PinkUn is listing the three as Lampard, Smith and Knutsen. I just can’t see how the timing works for Knutsen though.

Whilst I like the idea of Knutsen and since Farke and the class of 18/19 I’m more drawn to taking a punt on exciting, unknown foreign talent, I’m coming round to the idea of Dean Smith. I think he gets unfairly lumped into the category of what I like to call “Brexitball”, ie boring and not tactically advanced football, whereas he actually did a pretty amazing job at Villa and had them playing exceptional football at times. I’d also argue that without Dean Smith, Brentford certainly wouldn’t be in the PL this season. He bought them on leaps and bounds when he was manager there, and set in place a lot of the ideals that they still follow. 

Edited by Hoolahoop14
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Hoolahoop14 said:

Whilst I like the idea of Knutsen and since Farke and the class of 18/19 I’m more drawn to taking a punt on exciting, unknown foreign talent, I’m coming round to the idea of Dean Smith. I think he gets unfairly lumped into the category of what I like to call “Brexitball”, ie boring and not tactically advanced football, whereas he actually did a pretty amazing job at Villa and had them playing exceptional football at times. I’d also argue that without Dean Smith, Brentford certainly wouldn’t be in the PL this season. He bought them on leaps and bounds when he was manager there, and set in place a lot of the ideals that they still follow. 

Feel the same, Knutsen definitely 1st choice too, but Dean Smith did great at Brentford also, way better record than Lampard’s so I’m warming to the idea also (if we can’t get Knutsen as I’m starting to fear maybe the case).

Seems incredible that the BOD didn’t have this sorted and are still interviewing prospective candidates when it must have been on the cards that Farke was going after the Chelsea game. 

11 minutes ago, daly said:

Seems incredible that the BOD didn’t have this sorted and are still interviewing prospective candidates when it must have been on the cards that Farke was going after the Chelsea game. 

My thoughts exactly. Villa looking for a new manager at the same time not helpful for us either, then again it means Smith is available.

13 minutes ago, daly said:

So you expect them to have already agreed a deal with a manager for a vacancy that didn’t exist at that point?

I keep seeing people say things like this but I honestly don’t understand why.. Webber had a shortlist. We are now speaking to the managers on the shortlist. These things take time. 

Edited by Hoolahoop14
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, daly said:

Seriously 🤦🏻‍♂️

Do you honestly think we sacked Farke and then began the search on Saturday night???

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Hoolahoop14 said:

No-one agrees a deal with someone for a vacancy that doesn’t yet exist.

Of course they do. Webber will undoubtedly have sounded people out before sacking Farke He would have looked pretty stupid if he had sacked Farke without having someone better lined up. It's a dirty world I'm afraid. 

I have been following this situation as I am a fan of Rosenborg, and we want Knutsen ourselves.  I can say that I agree with Olano. If you want a coach that will make your team play great possession based attacking football, and make every player look better than they are due to the systematic patterns of play AND have a little patience - then Knutsen is the correct coach.

Do bear in mind that Bodø Glimts success is not ONLY Knutsen. The club apparatus has several persons with the same playstyle ideas and you will need the club to support Knutsen fully. He is a demanding coach, and no primadonnas or ego players will make the selection under him. It will all be about the team. 

However I do think Knutsen is a very progressive and modern coach. I hope we get him at Rosenborg, otherwise we propably will end up with another old school coach and boring football.

Some of BodøGlimts players are rejects from Rosenborg. However, in BG under Knutsen they have flourished, where with us, they looked like they would never have success. 

With Knutsen you will have Plan A only. Yes. But that is a good thing. Knutsen uses only role players. That way every one always knows what to do. The patterns of play are drilled into the bone marrow. He does not change a winning team, neither does he rotate much. His primary inspiration as a coach was our Nils Arne Eggen (Rosenborg 90s success in CL and 13 years of home league domination) and that is why all our fans wants Knutsen. But he has tweaked that 4-3-3 style a lot and it is very modern.

You could say that Knutsen makes a team excel at what it does. Since he focuses on the same stuff over and over until the team plays like a fine tuned clockwork. However, that of course demands the right profile of players.

Key elements Knutsen looks for in players propably is speed, technique and vision of play. Also that the players agrees to be a part of the team and accepts the role within the team 100%. Also younger  players are molded easier.

The problem would be  the timing There will not be much time this season in between matches to drill patterns of play etc. and that would make staying in the PL hard. I would rather look at Knutsen like a long perspective coach.

FK Bodø/Glimt 2020 Season Tactical Analysis

Edited by taffelstick
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1