Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Down to the final 2

6 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Of course they do. Webber will undoubtedly have sounded people out before sacking Farke He would have looked pretty stupid if he had sacked Farke without having someone better lined up. It's a dirty world I'm afraid. 

39 minutes ago, daly said:

Seems incredible that the BOD didn’t have this sorted and are still interviewing prospective candidates when it must have been on the cards that Farke was going after the Chelsea game. 

Yes, but, the final decision to sack him wasn't taken by the board until Saturday morning (if you believe the reports). He will have probably had informal discussions with his preferred candidates but can't formally offer or talk contract specifics until after then.

• Like 1

Just a thought on Dean Smith. Whilst his credentials certainly give him a shot at the job with us, would it possibly be too soon after his sacking at Villa? He's a boyhood fan of them and it was possibly his dream job. It's been 2 days since he lost it, would he really be motivated to get straight back in at a club deep in the relegation mire?

I do think the timings might play to Lampards advantage. Knutsen could do with another month to complete his business at Bodo which we're not going to allow as we need an immediate impact. If the job was up for grabs in a month, I suspect he'd have his big party at Bodo and then get straight on a plane here.

Michael Bailey estimates that there about 5 people who know who is on the shortlist and none of them are likely to spill the beans and that it won't be known to the press until it's basically agreed because that will be when the new man has to inform other people. 

If hypothetically we were after Lampard and his side was leaking it to the press then Webber would move on immediately, it's known he wants this done quietly. Just because they work for a national paper or have gotten things right in the past doesn't mean they know anything, like I said remember when they were all reporting Uwe Rosler. The Pink Un don't know anything either, nobody knows who's on the shortlist so I think everyone should cool off for now

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Of course they do. Webber will undoubtedly have sounded people out before sacking Farke He would have looked pretty stupid if he had sacked Farke without having someone better lined up. It's a dirty world I'm afraid. 

There may have been contact where Webber was “sounding out” if particular people were interested, but no I don’t agree that deals/promises will have been made. Let’s not forget that the decision to sack Farke wasn’t agreed with the board until Saturday morning. 

2 hours ago, Hoolahoop14 said:

Fabrizio Romano has written in the Guardian this morning that we held talks with Lampard yesterday. If there’s any football journalist not connected to the club that I trust, it’s him. Lampard is definitely in the running.

But there was an interesting sideline in the Pink 'Un live chat yesterday, when either Paddy or Connor said something like, 'It would be in a club's interest for the world to think a certain high profile candidate was in the running, because it would distract attention away from the candidate they were actually seeking to land.' Maybe it's a stretch, but you can see the logic. If anyone knows how to play the game, it's Stuart Webber, and you can see a situation in which they allow the idea of Lampard being in the running to, er, run, while they get on with signing the greatest Norwegian manager the world has ever seen. 

Obviously, I have no clue who it's going to be, but the waiting is beginning to have a serious impact on my productivity. A number of my students won't be graduating with first class honours this year and I lay the blame squarely at Webber's door. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

The PinkUn is listing the three as Lampard, Smith and Knutsen. I just can’t see how the timing works for Knutsen though.

I tend to agree, but don't fancy Smith - just after he's lost the job of his dreams? - and Lampard, while I'm not completely against him, brings up a whole load of baggage which could go in any number of directions. 

4 minutes ago, Hackney Canary said:

But there was an interesting sideline in the Pink 'Un live chat yesterday, when either Paddy or Connor said something like, 'It would be in a club's interest for the world to think a certain high profile candidate was in the running, because it would distract attention away from the candidate they were actually seeking to land.' Maybe it's a stretch, but you can see the logic. If anyone knows how to play the game, it's Stuart Webber, and you can see a situation in which they allow the idea of Lampard being in the running to, er, run, while they get on with signing the greatest Norwegian manager the world has ever seen. 

Obviously, I have no clue who it's going to be, but the waiting is beginning to have a serious impact on my productivity. A number of my students won't be graduating with first class honours this year and I lay the blame squarely at Webber's door. 

Yes I did see that as well. That may well be the case in fairness, however there does appear to be a lot of noise around Lampard and Romano has more contacts than anyone else out there. I’m as sceptical as they come and fully appreciate that Webber is a smooth operator when it comes to “playing the game”, but I do think there’s something in this Lampard link, not that I really want there to be if I’m honest. I think the bloke’s a t0sser.

Edited by Hoolahoop14

1 minute ago, Hoolahoop14 said:

Yes I did see that as well. That may well be the case in fairness, however there does appear to be a lot of noise around Lampard and Romano has more contacts than anyone else out there. I’m as sceptical as they come and fully appreciate that Webber is a smooth operator when it comes to “playing the game”, but I do think there’s something in this Lampard link, not that I really want there to be if I’m honest. I think the bloke’s a t0sser.

I don't disagree. In fact, I was talking to a mate on Saturday night, who is genuinely but very mildly in the know, and he said then he thought it would be Lampard. At the same time, I agree that he's probably a t0sser.

11 minutes ago, Hoolahoop14 said:

There may have been contact where Webber was “sounding out” if particular people were interested, but no I don’t agree that deals/promises will have been made. Let’s not forget that the decision to sack Farke wasn’t agreed with the board until Saturday morning. 

Decided after Leeds defeat Sunday, headhunting mid week and knives sharpened on the plane ride Friday night. 

11 minutes ago, Hackney Canary said:

I tend to agree, but don't fancy Smith - just after he's lost the job of his dreams? - and Lampard, while I'm not completely against him, brings up a whole load of baggage which could go in any number of directions. 

I think Knutsen would be my preference (but what do I know), but if it’s not him, both the others seem a bit meh to me. However, I’d never heard of Neil or Farke, so we just have to see what happens and get behind the team as ever. OTBC!

22 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I think Knutsen would be my preference (but what do I know), but if it’s not him, both the others seem a bit meh to me. However, I’d never heard of Neil or Farke, so we just have to see what happens and get behind the team as ever. OTBC!

Upside with Knutsen is that he'll generate a good many thousand new Norwegian Norwich fans. The downside is that they would be fiercely protective of Knutsen

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Hackney Canary said:

I don't disagree. In fact, I was talking to a mate on Saturday night, who is genuinely but very mildly in the know, and he said then he thought it would be Lampard. At the same time, I agree that he's probably a t0sser.

He can toss as much as he wants if he keeps us up 😄

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Hackney Canary said:

In fact, if we take that logic seriously, it's not going be Knutsen, Lampard, or Smith. Chat on Favre seems to have gone quiet, so maybe it's him. 

35 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

If it is Knutsen I think us fans will need to be in it for the long haul. Things may get worse before they get better. From what is being said it will take time to get his patterns of play ingrained. Maybe this will even mean accepting relegation, but on the expectation that there will be a strong bounce back in the Championship.

That said I think he would be my preference too, as we would be stronger in the long term. He looks to be the best fit for developing young players, which is key to not only our playing style but also our financial model. We also need someone who can make the team more than the sum of the parts and he would appear to fit the bill on that.

OTBC

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

He can toss as much as he wants if he keeps us up 😄

Lampard is still young and had two high profile jobs in Derby and Chelski. He has a high profile and I guess Webber would only want him at Carra Rd if he shows that he has the commitment to drive us on even if relegated. Its about time City had a man in charge who would instantly get the players respect for what he has done as a player. Doesn't matter about how people think about him. He is a winner and as long as he pulls up trees to get where we need to be I have no issue. As long as the name doesn't include Hodgson,  Bruce et al. 

1 hour ago, Hoolahoop14 said:

It is possible it was Lampard who asked to talk to the club rather than the other way round.

1 hour ago, Sussexyellow said:

If it is Knutsen I think us fans will need to be in it for the long haul. Things may get worse before they get better. From what is being said it will take time to get his patterns of play ingrained. Maybe this will even mean accepting relegation, but on the expectation that there will be a strong bounce back in the Championship.

That said I think he would be my preference too, as we would be stronger in the long term. He looks to be the best fit for developing young players, which is key to not only our playing style but also our financial model. We also need someone who can make the team more than the sum of the parts and he would appear to fit the bill on that.

OTBC

He sounds a bit too Farke like (or what he used to be like). I think my preference is Favre. We need impact, and quickly.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

He sounds a bit too Farke like (or what he used to be like). I think my preference is Favre. We need impact, and quickly.

His record according to Wikipedia is certainly impressive

Team From To Record Ref.
G W D L Win %
Servette 1 July 2000[3] 30 June 2002[3] 83 34 26 23 40.96  
Zürich 1 July 2003[3] 1 June 2007[15] 169 94 33 42 55.62  
Hertha BSC 1 June 2007[15] 28 September 2009[20] 94 40 20 34 42.55 [22]
Borussia Mönchengladbach 14 February 2011[23] 20 September 2015[34] 189 88 49 52 46.56 [36]
Nice 24 May 2016[37] 20 May 2018 99 42 24 33 42.42  
Borussia Dortmund 22 May 2018 13 December 2020 110 68 18 24 61.82 [45]
Total 744 366 170 208 49.19

Although doesn't seem to stick around for too long

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Farke I never felt made the team more than the sum of the parts, he was fortunate in having a number of good parts and in Buendía an exceptional part. 

I haven’t got Favre as a possibility, not sure we could attract him to Norwich. But if we could would get a thumbs up from me.

I think the betting odds at this point are driven purely by fan speculation i.e. they've no better knowledge than us.  If someone genuinely ITK was to try to make money by betting on it, I think they could end up in trouble.  I suppose that could change one a deal is agreed, in the run up to a public announcement more people would become aware of it.

2 hours ago, mannings bandy legs said:

The more I read of Domenico Tedesco,he sounds a perfect fit,through his experience,style of play , and character. ..and he's a free agent.

I'd never heard of him, but taking Schalke to second place in the Bundesliaga...

10 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

I think the betting odds at this point are driven purely by fan speculation i.e. they've no better knowledge than us.  If someone genuinely ITK was to try to make money by betting on it, I think they could end up in trouble.  I suppose that could change one a deal is agreed, in the run up to a public announcement more people would become aware of it.

They're driven by people placing bets. 

So essentially just other people with as much knowledge as you or I. 

Best ignored, basically. 

3 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Michael Bailey estimates that there about 5 people who know who is on the shortlist and none of them are likely to spill the beans and that it won't be known to the press until it's basically agreed because that will be when the new man has to inform other people. 

If hypothetically we were after Lampard and his side was leaking it to the press then Webber would move on immediately, it's known he wants this done quietly. Just because they work for a national paper or have gotten things right in the past doesn't mean they know anything, like I said remember when they were all reporting Uwe Rosler. The Pink Un don't know anything either, nobody knows who's on the shortlist so I think everyone should cool off for now

Do you think Webber keeps the name on a list in a red envelope in a safe like nuclear launch codes? Id like to think so

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Do you think Webber keeps the name on a list in a red envelope in a safe like nuclear launch codes? Id like to think so

No but he has them saved in his phone as "Mum new number" and "Chinese takeaway"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

"GNAAAARRR!".....wich's new head coach is going to be....................................................??????????

43 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Him and Delia have to simultaneously turn two keys to get to it ..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BurwellCanary said:

His record according to Wikipedia is certainly impressive

Team From To Record Ref.
G W D L Win %
Servette 1 July 2000[3] 30 June 2002[3] 83 34 26 23 40.96  
Zürich 1 July 2003[3] 1 June 2007[15] 169 94 33 42 55.62  
Hertha BSC 1 June 2007[15] 28 September 2009[20] 94 40 20 34 42.55 [22]
Borussia Mönchengladbach 14 February 2011[23] 20 September 2015[34] 189 88 49 52 46.56 [36]
Nice 24 May 2016[37] 20 May 2018 99 42 24 33 42.42  
Borussia Dortmund 22 May 2018 13 December 2020 110 68 18 24 61.82 [45]
Total 744 366 170 208 49.19

Although doesn't seem to stick around for too long

At his average win percentage of 49%, over the next 27 games this would give us total points of 45.  That will do for me!  Favre it is.....

In fact we "only" need the incoming manager to have a win %age of 40% to keep us up.  

Edited by shefcanary