TeemuVanBasten

Hope Sargent isn't true.

2 hours ago, Paul101 said:

why it was proven last year that webber and farke know what they are doing and most of us know **** all about football/signings or anything

large chunks of this board berated every single signing last season and wanted the manager sacked before the start of the season

You are correct, there was a poll on here early last season asking Farke ‘Stay or go?’ or something like that, and despite us all being armed with the knowledge knowing full well that we’d just had the most ridiculous injury hit season plus he’d had no money to spend on permanent players etc, there was still only approx 50% that had 100% confidence in him at that time. I was pretty shocked actually, it was sad to see. Daniel deserved far more loyalty as there were good blatantly obvious reasons out of his hands for why we had a generally poor Prem campaign. Luckily Webber wasn’t and isn’t the kind of guy to bow to those exterior pressures, and here we are! 🙏

1 hour ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Indeed.. 30 odd goals in his first season. Not one a header I believe. Dont forget Pukki wasnt exactly prolific before he came here. Lets hope Pukki's goals werent simply because of Buendia, as thats where many came from

I'm not denying this, but I feel this theory needs to be tested as I feel it's possibly a bit overplayed.

Buendia's first season with us, from what I can find, contained 12 assists across 8 games in the league. Pukki scored 29 goals in the league. So at this point if, and it really isn't the case, Buendia's assists ALL went to Pukki, it would account for less than half. At this point, I'm going to say it will be around 1/4 at best.

The games in question 2018-19:
Derby away(1-1) - Pukki did not score. Scratch one off.
Villa home (2-1) - Pukki didn't score. Scratch two off. 
Millwall home (4-3) - Pukki scored twice. Buendia didn't assist either, he assisted Rhode's goal 90+2. Scratch three off.
Birmingham home (3-1) - Pukki scored, assisted by Lewis. Buendia assisted Vrancic and Trybull. Scratch five off.
Ipswich home (3-0) - Pukki scored twice, both assisted by Buendia. Sun 10th Feb 2019, Buendia's first assists for Pukki.
Millwall away (1-3) - Pukki scored, assisted by Buendia.
QPR home (4-0) - Pukki scores twice, one assist from Buendia before he is sent off.
Blackburn home (2-1) - Pukki does not score - scratch 6 off.

So in total, for the 2018-19 season, Buendia assists Pukki 4 times. That's four goals out of 29 scored by Pukki that were assisted by Buendia. That's somewhere between 10-15% of his goals coming from Pukki. Though, on the flip side, 1/3 of Buendia's assists come from Pukki.

I'll save doing this for every season, and just shorten it up.
2019-20: 7 assists in 6 games for Buendia in the season. Pukki scored 11 goals. Buendia assisted 4 in games against Liverpool(H), Chelsea(A), Man City (H) and Leicester(A). So exactly the same number of assists for Pukki as the season before, just at a higher level. Pukki also scored less so in a flip on the previous season, Beundia supplied 1/3 of Pukki's goals. Though Pukki represents over 50% of Buendia's assists.

Last season - I'm expecting a bigger ratio here this time...
2020-21: 17 assists in 13 different games for the season for Buendia. Pukki scored 26 goals. I might be an odd one out, as I have had to find which games Buendia has assists in and which were assist to Pukki. However, from what I have checked, and it took me a while, Buendia assisted Pukki a total of 7 times last season. By far his best season of providing for Pukki. That's somewhere between 25-35% of Pukki's goals. Pukki again, accounting for a hefty amount of Buendia's assists - somewhere between 40-50%.

The totals: Of Pukki's 66 league goals in the last three seasons, 15 were assisted by Buendia, almost half of which were last season. Just above 1/4 of goals Pukki has scored in the league for us.

There are a few things to learn from that, which is the Premier League season was a poor one for Pukki in terms of goals. He wasn't 100% fit and squandered chances. We'll never know, as a result, whether he would have scored more or less without the injury and fatigue he carried and we'll never know if Buendia would have gained more assists.

Now 1/4 sounds like a lot, and I guess it is. But when that is roughly 5 assists a season on average, I think it's fair to say that one would hope another player or group of players can step up to fill the void.

What it does also indicate, is that this concept of a brilliant link between the two in terms of goals and assists, perhaps isn't as great as people like to think. It's still a decent amount, especially last season. But it's not an unsurmountable amount IMHO. In fact, what I would suggest is that the opposite could be said.

Rather than where will Pukki get those goals from, will Buendia be able to rack up as many assists considering how many Pukki represents to his stats. Having looked through them, I would say that set pieces also account for nearly as many of Buendia's assists as Pukki does, a good 3-4 a season I think without running through them again. I also think Cantwell and Buendia have shared a few assist exchanges for each other.

All points to why Norwich may be looking to change things up a bit. More height in the box, better set piece takers. More players with pace, more players who can assist, more choice etc. One thing is for certain though, Buendia's assists to the team will need to be made up by someone else. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Actually, Paul has a point. I’m not going to drag up the thread as it would just cause a lot of arguments but I believe TeemuVanBasten started a poll at the start of last season basically asking if we wanted Farke in or out. It’s worth looking at the results as approx only 50% showed upmost confidence in him at that time and wanted his services retained (I was one of them). It annoyed me because the only 100% pro Farke option was something slightly taking the p155 like ‘keep him forever and build him a statue’ or something.

I do actually remember that poll now you mention it, but my general recollection of last summer was that the vast majority were still behind Farke and the general consensus was that the players we brought in were the right ones (although Hugill did have a bit of a mixed reaction).

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

3 minutes ago, chicken said:

I'm not denying this, but I feel this theory needs to be tested as I feel it's possibly a bit overplayed.

Buendia's first season with us, from what I can find, contained 12 assists across 8 games in the league. Pukki scored 29 goals in the league. So at this point if, and it really isn't the case, Buendia's assists ALL went to Pukki, it would account for less than half. At this point, I'm going to say it will be around 1/4 at best.

Millwall home (4-3) - Pukki scored twice. Buendia didn't assist either, he assisted Rhode's goal 90+2. Scratch three off.
Birmingham home (3-1) - Pukki scored, assisted by Lewis. Buendia assisted Vrancic and Trybull. Scratch five off.
Ipswich home (3-0) - Pukki scored twice, both assisted by Buendia. Sun 10th Feb 2019, Buendia's first assists for Pukki.
QPR home (4-0) - Pukki scores twice, one assist from Buendia before he is sent off.

So in total, for the 2018-19 season, Buendia assists Pukki 4 times. That's four goals out of 29 scored by Pukki that were assisted by Buendia. That's somewhere between 10-15% of his goals coming from Pukki. Though, on the flip side, 1/3 of Buendia's assists come from Pukki.

2019-20: 7 assists in 6 games for Buendia in the season. Pukki scored 11 goals. Buendia assisted 4 in games against Liverpool(H), Chelsea(A), Man City (H) and Leicester(A). So exactly the same number of assists for Pukki as the season before, just at a higher level. Pukki also scored less so in a flip on the previous season, Beundia supplied 1/3 of Pukki's goals. Though Pukki represents over 50% of Buendia's assists.

2020-21: 17 assists in 13 different games for the season for Buendia. Pukki scored 26 goals. I might be an odd one out, as I have had to find which games Buendia has assists in and which were assist to Pukki. However, from what I have checked, and it took me a while, Buendia assisted Pukki a total of 7 times last season. By far his best season of providing for Pukki. That's somewhere between 25-35% of Pukki's goals. Pukki again, accounting for a hefty amount of Buendia's assists - somewhere between 40-50%.

The totals: Of Pukki's 66 league goals in the last three seasons, 15 were assisted by Buendia, almost half of which were last season. Just above 1/4 of goals Pukki has scored in the league for us.

There are a few things to learn from that, which is the Premier League season was a poor one for Pukki in terms of goals. He wasn't 100% fit and squandered chances. We'll never know, as a result, whether he would have scored more or less without the injury and fatigue he carried and we'll never know if Buendia would have gained more assists.

Now 1/4 sounds like a lot, and I guess it is. But when that is roughly 5 assists a season on average, I think it's fair to say that one would hope another player or group of players can step up to fill the void.

What it does also indicate, is that this concept of a brilliant link between the two in terms of goals and assists, perhaps isn't as great as people like to think. It's still a decent amount, especially last season. But it's not an unsurmountable amount IMHO. In fact, what I would suggest is that the opposite could be said.

Rather than where will Pukki get those goals from, will Buendia be able to rack up as many assists considering how many Pukki represents to his stats. Having looked through them, I would say that set pieces also account for nearly as many of Buendia's assists as Pukki does, a good 3-4 a season I think without running through them again. I also think Cantwell and Buendia have shared a few assist exchanges for each other.

All points to why Norwich may be looking to change things up a bit. More height in the box, better set piece takers. More players with pace, more players who can assist, more choice etc. One thing is for certain though, Buendia's assists to the team will need to be made up by someone else. 

Good work. Interesting 👍

4 minutes ago, chicken said:

We definitely need another good set piece taker.

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I do actually remember that poll now you mention it, but my general recollection of last summer were that the vast majority were still behind Farke and the general consensus was that the players we brought in were the right ones (although Hugill did have a bit of a mixed reaction).

Not sure if that had anything to do with the transfer window closing so late or not, there was some positivity but also a lot of fuss about us selling off ALL of the ‘crown jewels’ at that point too, fortunately Webber stuck his heels in and only sold off what I believed were the right 2 to sell in that window. And then the rest is history as we went on and won the Championship in style without either player bar Godfrey playing a couple of games right at the start or wotnot. And that’s why I have complete faith in Webber and Farke’s decision making this window too regarding Emi, Todd - and Sargent!

On 07/08/2021 at 12:50, chicken said:

Fair enough, you've clearly done a lot of research, but watching a video of Buendia skills, assists and goals that Villa posted when the move was going through, it was remarkable how much Pukki profited from Buendia.

I think in focussing on assists only, you have perhaps neglected the key passes, the number of times Buendia split the defence but someone else got the assist.

I really hope we have adequately replaced Buendia's creative output throught the addition of Rashica, Lees-Melou and hopefully Tzolis

9 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Fair enough, you've clearly done a lot of research, but watching a video of Buendia skills, assists and goals that Villa posted when the move was going through, it was remarkable how much Pukki profited from Buendia.

I think in focussing on assists only, you have perhaps neglected the key passes, the number of times Buendia split the defence but someone else got the assist.

I really hope we have adequately replaced Buendia's creative output throught the addition of Rashica, Lees-Melou and hopefully Tzolis

Can understand the concerns re Pukki and Buendia, but you’re missing a player that will split the defence just as many times as Emi, and possibly more - Billy Gilmour.

• Like 1

On 06/08/2021 at 16:52, WSM said:

Proven English strikers and their going rate

Solanke - £19m

Rhian Brewster - £23.5m

Oli McBurnie - £18m

All these strikers (apart from Solanke) scored bucket loads in the Championship - no guarantee they can make the step up (same goes with Armstrong)

To guarantee goals you need to spend £££ - if we are going to have to take a risk - would far rather take an £8m risk than a £20m one

Looking forward to seeing Farke getting the most out of Sargent

Well articles I've read on the Pinkun today suggest that it will be a club record deal, but the Greek will cost £12m.

So will it be a club record deal for a few days, and then beaten by the Greek, or is this fee going to be more than £12m? 

33 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Well articles I've read on the Pinkun today suggest that it will be a club record deal, but the Greek will cost £12m.

So will it be a club record deal for a few days, and then beaten by the Greek, or is this fee going to be more than £12m? 

It's been well advertised as €11m+€3m in add ons - that's coming from the Greek side, and they wouldn't play that down would they? 

4 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Well, first off, I haven't neglected anything. The question was that Pukki would miss Buendia's assists. As it is something that can be looked at I did.

If you want to look at "key passes" etc then feel free to. But that wasn't the question at the time. And the thing is, Villa can make a wonderful video, there is three seasons of material to pick from. According to wikipedia that's 121 appearances. If you have an attacking player with that many appearances and can't make a decent video from it, you have to ask why you are paying £35m for them... 

I'm not doubting  your point, but having done a bit of research, it's your turn... 

• Like 1

On 07/08/2021 at 12:55, Ward 3 said:

We definitely need another good set piece taker.

If we are being brutally honest here, the stats suggest that Buendia is not the best set piece taker. Considering how many set pieces he takes, if he was good, you'd expect more than two or three a season.

1 hour ago, chicken said:

If we are being brutally honest here, the stats suggest that Buendia is not the best set piece taker. Considering how many set pieces he takes, if he was good, you'd expect more than two or three a season.

I didn't mean buendia was good at them. I'd have dowell, cantwell well ahead of him

On 06/08/2021 at 00:21, TeemuVanBasten said:

Can't remember seeing a player as "one footed" as this for a long long time.

Seriously, just watch it, he looks like he's not got the ability to use his left foot at all, its the weirdest thing I've seen in football at this level.  

I'd rather have someone with one foot over Zimmermann who cant use either. I don't think Sargent's lack of left foot will cost us games.

23 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Can understand the concerns re Pukki and Buendia, but you’re missing a player that will split the defence just as many times as Emi, and possibly more - Billy Gilmour.

Yes to be honest, he's the most likely to replace Buendia. Buendia often played the Hoolahan role - despite being an AM, dropping deep as an outlet and then being our primary playmaker.

Whilst not likely to be as dynamic going forward as Emi, Gilmour has looked absolute class and will be a hugely important player for us this season Im sure

On 06/08/2021 at 00:21, TeemuVanBasten said:

Can't remember seeing a player as "one footed" as this for a long long time.

Seriously, just watch it, he looks like he's not got the ability to use his left foot at all, its the weirdest thing I've seen in football at this level.  

Scored with his left foot at 1:05 looks like.

£8m does seem a lot. Let’s hope he is the Ginger Firmino. 

15 minutes ago, corbs said:

76573147-898A-4936-94CD-EE761278FCD3.jpeg

Exactly - I was going to make the same point in writing - but a picture does it better (It's for you Great Mass Debater by the way). 

7 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Scored with his left foot at 1:05 looks like.

£8m does seem a lot. Let’s hope he is the Ginger Firmino. 

Not sure if his arrival should mean Idah going out on loan, as he clearly is not up to PL standard.

,The question is whether playing in the Championship regularly, or staying and being coached with us is the best option, as I cannot see hm making many appearances this season - then only as a sub.

PL is a massive step up, as we found with a number of our players last time round. We all want 'our own' to succeed, but at times we have to recognise that more will fall by the wayside that reach a standard required for possibly the strongest league in the world.

26 minutes ago, Bill said:

Not sure if his arrival should mean Idah going out on loan, as he clearly is not up to PL standard.

Based on who's assessment?

He's 2 years more experienced, 2 years more growth and strength and has all the attributes to be a top striker.

Rather have him as an striker option than Hugill.

14 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Based on who's assessment?

He's 2 years more experienced, 2 years more growth and strength and has all the attributes to be a top striker.

Rather have him as an striker option than Hugill.

err, that was the point

he is not currently a top striker

so my question was whether he would improve by going out on loan, or staying with us and hopefully benefitting from our coaching

as to Hugill, he does not even come into the question

as the only question there is how much it will take for some L2 club to take him off our hands -perhaps if we offered them a couple of million he might shuffle off in their direction

5 minutes ago, Bill said:

err, that was the point

so my question was whether he would improve by going out on loan, or staying with us and hopefully benefitting from our coaching

as to Hugill, he does not even come into the question

as the only question there is how much it will take for some L2 club to take him off our hands -perhaps if we offered them a couple of million he might shuffle off in their direction

I think he needs to stay and be part of the squad as he is different to Pukki, although maybe a little similar to Sargent in some aspects.

We can't afford a top striker and look at how crazy the price is for Armstrong, for me he has to stay and be part of it as I'm sure with game time he'll show what he has.

6 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

I think he needs to stay and be part of the squad as he is different to Pukki, although maybe a little similar to Sargent in some aspects.

We can't afford a top striker and look at how crazy the price is for Armstrong, for me he has to stay and be part of it as I'm sure with game time he'll show what he has.

I am not sure how much game time he will get, and the U23s are not the challenge he needs.

However, without him we would currently be a bit threadbare

interesting comments here - read into them what you will

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/canaries-ncfc-daniel-farke-adam-idah-paddy-davitt-8213748

• Like 1

Without wishing to stray OT but yet more slightly uncomfortable reading for Idah fans on the front page a9as linked to by Bill above). 

I guess Farke's comments last week were by way of encouragement, but seems unnecessary for journos to go wading in again and putting even more pressure on him . I hope Adam gets his fair chance here this season.

Edited by Capt. Pants

5 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Without wishing to stray OT but yet more slightly uncomfortable reading for Idah fans on the front page. 

I guess Farke's comments last week were by way of encouragement, but seems unnecessary for journos to go wading in again and putting even more pressure on him . I hope Adam gets his fair chance here this season.

linked above

I don't think the comments are unfair, or unrepresentative of how things are

idah will be fiven the chances his abilities warrant, which at the moment do suggest it will be from the bench, at best

38 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

how crazy the price is for Armstrong

Up to £15m including add ons according to Sky - seems like a bargain for a 24 year old who has just scored 29 goals in the Championship. Compared to £38m for Watkins, with similar stats, last summer.

I'd rather we'd paid £15m for Armstrong than £8m for Sargent.

• Like 1

On the other hand we could give Sargent the chance to show us what he can do.

i know that’s a radical idea for the many football experts on this forum.

Edited by Crafty Canary
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bill said:

err, that was the point

1 hour ago, Bill said:

I am not sure how much game time he will get, and the U23s are not the challenge he needs.

However, without him we would currently be a bit threadbare

Can't believe I'm agreeing with Bill, but I do here.

I'm a fan of Idah and I do believe that he could be a Premier League striker in the future, but he's not going to become one by sitting on the bench all season.

With Pukki ahead of him and now presumably Sargent, Idah's game time will be seriously limited this season and he'll be feeding off ten minute scraps again, which won't do much for his development.

Unless he's going to play regularly, which is unlikely now Sargent is on his way, he needs a loan for the minutes on the pitch.