TeemuVanBasten

Hope Sargent isn't true.

34 minutes ago, chicken said:

So you thought we'd be signing £20m players? 4-5 of them? 

Watford had a sustained period in this league with an average net spend of something like £4m a year. 

Richarlison cost them £11m, Deolofeu £11m, Hughes £8m (can go on and on).

I thought we would be targeting players who were first team ready.

Why would this need to be £20m? None of the players they would be competing for a place with would have cost us £20m would they. Hanley cost us £2.5m, why would it cost £20m to bring in a player to compete with him?

We recruited poorly when we signed Hugill. 

Brentford recruited well with Toney.

That's the problem. 

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Watford had a sustained period in this league with an average net spend of something like £4m a year. 

Richarlison cost them £11m, Deolofeu £11m, Hughes £8m (can go on and on).

I thought we would be targeting players who were first team ready.

Why would this need to be £20m? None of the players they would be competing for a place with would have cost us £20m would they. Hanley cost us £2.5m, why would it cost £20m to bring in a player to compete with him?

We recruited poorly when we signed Hugill. 

Brentford recruited well with Toney.

That's the problem. 

That is an odd comparison in my opinion.

Sure, they are both strikers but the needs were different. 

Brentford needed to replace Watkins and have someone to lead the line from day one. We already had Pukki for that. Hugill was signed to be an alternative, where we needed a player who could offer something different but was going to accept they'd largely be on the bench.

I 'd also argue that we are targeting players who are first team ready. Rashica, Sargent, Tzolis, all first teamers playing regularly at a good level. They're not the finished article but I don't think any of our major signings are players who won't have some impact this season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

It makes more sense than offering £10m for a free agent. 

Look, maybe I need to reflect upon my expectations, they are obviously out of sync. 

Because I honestly thought we'd be investing with a view to survival, not buying rough diamonds who are going to take 6-12 months to adjust to their new level of football before making an impact.

Last time we got relegated and blamed having a really young and inexperienced team, now we're looking like signing a 19 year old and a 21 year old. The problem with going down again is that this means we have to sell again, Aarons and Cantwell won't stick around.

Is this the cycle forever? I honestly thought that this time we'd give survival another go. Clearly I need to bring my expectations in check, I will reflect on that. 

I think what you need to do is have no expectations....other  than SW and his team are doing the best they can with the funds available. If anyone has EVIDENCE  to the contrary  I'm  pretty certain that every single poster would be fascinated.  

Until the transfer window closes,  surely the valid conversation is ' is the squad improving ' not ' has it improved '.... that can wait till end of window.....and there'll  be judgement for sure, me , I'll  wait till Christmas,, by then we'll  have a fair idea whether we've improved enough to stay up.

• Like 2

Proven English strikers and their going rate

Solanke - £19m

Rhian Brewster - £23.5m

Oli McBurnie - £18m

All these strikers (apart from Solanke) scored bucket loads in the Championship - no guarantee they can make the step up (same goes with Armstrong)

To guarantee goals you need to spend £££ - if we are going to have to take a risk - would far rather take an £8m risk than a £20m one

Looking forward to seeing Farke getting the most out of Sargent

• Like 2

I must admit, I’m really struggling with this possible signing but the success rate of Webber and DF is good enough for me to trust them .

I thought we would sign someone like Georgios Giakoumakis who we were linked with previously, or someone of that Ilk, but it looks as though this is not the case. So if this turns out to be true we are stronger than before even if we let Hugill go, and he could great, I think Idah and Sargent may have to fight it out to see whom may be Pukki's eventual replacement. I didn't think we would sign a prospect, I thought we would sign some to compete with Pukki.

I don't much about this lad, like I don't with most of the players we have signed like Lees-Melou and he looks very good, so I will reserve judgement until I see the new  players play.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, king canary said:

That is an odd comparison in my opinion.

Sure, they are both strikers but the needs were different. 

Brentford needed to replace Watkins and have someone to lead the line from day one. We already had Pukki for that. Hugill was signed to be an alternative, where we needed a player who could offer something different but was going to accept they'd largely be on the bench.

I 'd also argue that we are targeting players who are first team ready. Rashica, Sargent, Tzolis, all first teamers playing regularly at a good level. They're not the finished article but I don't think any of our major signings are players who won't have some impact this season.

Definitely this. Remember, Buendia may have been bought from Getafe, but had played very few games for them and ultimately was on loan with a side who went down from Spain's version of the Championship. We've now gone and bought more established (and not quite as young) players from a team who were relegated from Germany's version of the Premier League.

Sargent's had close to twenty caps for the USA, Rashica's played over thirty times for Kosovo.

Werder Bremen were unsure of his best position and yet some people are assuming that he is a striker. He isn't very quick. Counter-attacks broke-down and they got relegated.

The top German league isn't as high a standard as the Premier League but I wouldn't read too much into what club a player signs from as the main importance is how good the player is.

Doesn't look a Premier League footballer to me. Far from it! Can't believe the reported fee - perfectly good money that could be used to fund proper talent elsewhere. I'd rather we buy no-one and save the cash. Even if he was available on a free, I'd say no.

• Like 1

Norwich supporters, as a Werder Bremen supporter I felt the need to come see what the reaction to this singing was amongst Norwich supporters and I have seen many many misconceptions about the type of player Sargent is based on YouTube highlight films so I have decided to comment.
He is a fast player, despite what many in this forum have said, he regularly reaches 31+ km/h which is among the fastest in the Bundesliga.

Secondly he is like a wind up toy, he never stops running and pressing, in fact, due to our poor offensive play last year, Sargent creating turnovers was often our greatest source of  goal scoring chances.

Also, he rarely rarely got the chance to play at striker, and is often a second striker or wide midfielder tasked with tracking all over the pitch.

I have watched him with USA and with them he shows the ability to run at players and beat players with his dribble, something he didn’t have the chance to do often at Bremen. When I saw him play for the US against Northern Ireland, I simply couldn’t believe how good his dribble and passing was and what chances he created with those skills. That is something almost foreign to my Bremen over the past few seasons. 

Lastly he is tall and strong, very good in Ariel battles, not just shooting with his head, but also winning possession for his team. His finishing can let him down it is true, but with the chance to play as a striker and train with a excellent manager day in day out he can surely improve, since he is known to fellow German fans and other players in the bundesliga for his proper attitude and desire to improve. 

Certainly he is not a perfect player, but in my mind he fits the premier league style like a glove and is young. Basically all this to say I think he’s a good transfer for Norwich. And I’ll will miss him at Bremen. 

Also, Sorry for such an essay, sorry also for my English skills. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 13

3 minutes ago, böhr said:

Norwich supporters, as a Werder Bremen supporter I felt the need to come see what the reaction to this singing was amongst Norwich supporters and I have seen many many misconceptions about the type of player Sargent is based on YouTube highlight films so I have decided to comment.
He is a fast player, despite what many in this forum have said, he regularly reaches 31+ km/h which is among the fastest in the Bundesliga.

Secondly he is like a wind up toy, he never stops running and pressing, in fact, due to our poor offensive play last year, Sargent creating turnovers was often our greatest source of  goal scoring chances.

Also, he rarely rarely got the chance to play at striker, and is often a second striker or wide midfielder tasked with tracking all over the pitch.

I have watched him with USA and with them he shows the ability to run at players and beat players with his dribble, something he didn’t have the chance to do often at Bremen. When I saw him play for the US against Northern Ireland, I simply couldn’t believe how good his dribble and passing was and what chances he created with those skills. That is something almost foreign to my Bremen over the past few seasons. 

Lastly he is tall and strong, very good in Ariel battles, not just shooting with his head, but also winning possession for his team. His finishing can let him down it is true, but with the chance to play as a striker and train with a excellent manager day in day out he can surely improve, since he is known to fellow German fans and other players in the bundesliga for his proper attitude and desire to improve. 

Certainly he is not a perfect player, but in my mind he fits the premier league style like a glove and is young. Basically all this to say I think he’s a good transfer for Norwich. And I’ll will miss him at Bremen. 

Nothing wrong with that English. And Werder Bremen have, IMO, probably the best ever song written for a club when Jan Delay came up with Grün-Weiße Liebe. I don't like Delay's usual sorta rap-like stuff at all, but he absolutely creamed that one out of the park.

The video was fun as well. Thomas Schaaf could not have had a drier facial expression when lobbing that confetti.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Haha 1

I can't imagine this will be £8M upfront if the fee is correct, this is more likely £4M or less upfront with a host of add-ons

Thanks @böhr. It's great to hear an informed opinion and your English is excellent. No worries on that account.👍

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, böhr said:

Thank you.

To be fair some on here think every player we sign is s***. Most thought Pukki was a waste of money and he was free and Harry Kane was the worst player to ever pull on a Norwich shirt. If Sargent came from our Academy the same player would be amongst the top players ever.

11 minutes ago, böhr said:

Bohr responding to the bores. Thanks for the preview.

19 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Bohr responding to the bores. Thanks for the preview.

You are welcome. If I am being honest, with Rashica and now Sargent, the thought amongst most Bremen fans I know is that our best players and players with the most heart from last season are now in county Norfolk! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thingy said:

Werder Bremen were unsure of his best position

Is that a good thing?

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

13 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Is that a good thing?

Probably says more about the coach to be honest.

Farke seems to have players nailed down pretty quickly. Just look at Godfrey. DM, RB... Nope, CB. Turned him into a quality player, focusing him on a position.

Edit: It's also worth noting that Grant Holt was played out wide a fair bit at Forest I believe, and Pukki has done the same - I think a bit at Celtic. Sometimes you want high work rate and heart further back and you have to compromise their forward play as a result.

As a manager of a Sunday team, I used to have a couple of awesome wide players who could play wing or full back. They were the best we had in both positions. I used to often start them in games at full back because they were fit and could cover the length of the pitch, I felt their energy and quality was better served at full back, and not having the scouting of the opposition professional teams have.

If it turned out the attacking wingers were poor, I'd switch them with the wingers and get them to push on and push the opposition back. Against the quality sides they'd stay there and give the wingers something to think about. When you're not winning a lot, you need the quality on the ball and closer to the action. If you pull a player like Sargent a bit further back due to some of his qualities, then you'd probably do it.

Edit 2: Couldn't help but think of Dirk Kuyt for some reason when typing the above...

Edited by chicken

9 hours ago, böhr said:

Cheers böhr, appreciate the sensible information from yourself regarding Sargent. I like the look of how this kid plays football so am pleased we’re reportedly signing him. Best of luck for the new season and fingers crossed Werder Bremen can get promoted again in a few months. But it’s not always bad playing in the second tier ; )

11 hours ago, Thingy said:

Werder Bremen were unsure of his best position and yet some people are assuming that he is a striker. He isn't very quick. Counter-attacks broke-down and they got relegated.

The top German league isn't as high a standard as the Premier League but I wouldn't read too much into what club a player signs from as the main importance is how good the player is.

Weirder Bremen were a complete mess, they should have done a lot better than they did

On 06/08/2021 at 07:15, Dr Greenthumb said:

Let’s mix in Pukkis lack of heading ability too. Dreadful striker!

Indeed.. 30 odd goals in his first season. Not one a header I believe. Dont forget Pukki wasnt exactly prolific before he came here. Lets hope Pukki's goals werent simply because of Buendia, as thats where many came from

16 hours ago, Mr Tea said:

I must admit, I’m really struggling with this possible signing but the success rate of Webber and DF is good enough for me to trust them .

why it was proven last year that webber and farke know what they are doing and most of us know **** all about football/signings or anything

large chunks of this board berated every single signing last season and wanted the manager sacked before the start of the season

Edited by Paul101
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Indeed.. 30 odd goals in his first season. Not one a header I believe. Dont forget Pukki wasnt exactly prolific before he came here. Lets hope Pukki's goals werent simply because of Buendia, as thats where many came from

I’ve just watched a 2minute 33 second video of Pukki before he joined Norwich and he is the worst striker I have ever seen, I don’t know what the club have used to scout him on, but they are so wrong!

25 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Eh?

well its the truth

the same as the facebook members board loads of people called for his head none of them will admit it now of course

its a little bit like when half the barcley used to boo Iwan everytime he touched the ball for the first six months he was here

find any of the two faced gits who admits to doing it is anouther thing

6 minutes ago, Paul101 said:

well its the truth

the same as the facebook members board loads of people called for his head none of them will admit it now of course

Facebook is an absolute cesspit of negativity, but you'll do well to find any posts on here calling for Farke's head or criticising the new signings from anyone bar the parody wind-up accounts.

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Facebook is an absolute cesspit of negativity, but you'll do well to find any posts on here calling for Farke's head or criticising the new signings from anyone bar the parody wind-up accounts.

Actually, Paul has a point. I’m not going to drag up the thread as it would just cause a lot of arguments but I believe TeemuVanBasten started a poll at the start of last season basically asking if we wanted Farke in or out. It’s worth looking at the results as approx only 50% showed upmost confidence in him at that time and wanted his services retained (I was one of them). It annoyed me because the only 100% pro Farke option was something slightly taking the p155 like ‘keep him forever and build him a statue’ or something.