Sign in to follow this  
Branston Pickle

New Sponsor

Paddy has said in his article about Kensell, that  “The BK8 sponsorship deal is no more but the new sponsor, set to be officially announced in the next week, is a Norfolk brand with a far more positive image and values that align with those of the football club.”

Is there anything to suggest it is definitely Lotus - other than that CSF film Jake did yesterday (and a fair bit of ‘hope’ that it is from many)?  They clearly have plenty of links with us already, on Youth Team shirts, sponsoring the training centre and so on, so I suppose it wouldn’t be the biggest leap…but equally they might be sponsoring enough already.  

I did wonder if there are any realistic alternatives - Kettle Foods sprang to mind as one, Aviva is possibly a bit ‘yesterday’ for the club, Barclays technically started with Gurneys but that seems a bit of a stretch. Others possibly wouldn’t have the ££ (Jarrold, Start-Rite et al).  Are there any realistic brands I’m missing (Colman’s wouldn’t probably be a good fit after recent years, so I missed them deliberately).

Edited by Branston Pickle

Lotus are probably a good bet, there's definitely been filming going on and they already have good ties with the club/sponsorships across the ground during Covid. It would probably be the safe of sensible option at short notice.

Edited by AJ

What Norfolk brands are left?

If it’s not Lotus, maybe Aviva (tenuously a Norfolk brand) or Colman’s back in, cant think of anything with National/International markets that would see this as a worthwhile spend.

Edited by Monty13

Apart from the videos that JH mentioned (and a photo of the NCFC camera crew with him)… 🤔  Lotus are on a promotion campaign, with the Evija Hypercar launched and the Emira soon to join it. It would make perfect sense for them to be the main sponsors, given the Chinese backers and trying to woo the Asian car market. A good brand – more british and certainly less seedy. 🤭

6 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Roys of Wroxham

St John the Baptist Cathedrals choir

Cromer Crabs Limited

Visit Great Yarmouth

The Norfolk Broads society

Big Daves ice cream van

Might I add…

Johns Rock Shop of Wells

Aylsham Bathroom and Kitchen centre 

Broadland FM 

Bernard Mathews

6 hours ago, Monty13 said:

What Norfolk brands are left?

If it’s not Lotus, maybe Aviva (tenuously a Norfolk brand) or Colman’s back in, cant think of anything with National/International markets that would see this as a worthwhile spend.

You have to put aside its Norwich for a second and remember that whoever it is will have several million people looking at their logo from around the world when Liverpool come to ours for the first game. That’s quite interesting to a lot of companies try to broaden their profile.

It's going to be North Norfolk Digital and Alan Partridge is to be installed as the new chairman. The new kit has been leaked:

il_300x300.2879247060_alrv.jpg

• Haha 1

From Michael Bailey's piece in The Athletic:

"The majority of the £5 million revenue hole will remain, but at least the new primary partner to feature on Norwich’s Premier League shirts next season will be paying a seven-figure sum for the privilege."

I'd love to see Lotus on the shirts. Lovely cars and they are based here. Remember though, they're no longer a Norfolk company as their parents are Malaysian and Chinese. If we want a truly Norfolk brand, then Lotus, sadly, is no longer that. I don't care about that detail though as I think they'd be brilliant. 

37 minutes ago, Bovril said:

"The majority of the £5 million revenue hole will remain, but at least the new primary partner to feature on Norwich’s Premier League shirts next season will be paying a seven-figure sum for the privilege."

No wonder he resigned then as that's a very expensive mistake to make for a club that needs that money.

Can someone explain to me how CSF might be the sponsor? 

Following Michael Bailey’s piece in the Athletic referring to a seven figure deal having been agreed, I can’t imagine a local charitable foundation having that sort of money to spend,  nor can I see how they would make a return on such a spend, either. 

unless I’m missing something? 

thanks.

I guess if it were CSF on the shirts, with a 7-figure sum involved, it would have to somehow be via a third party ok not having their name shown - either they already have plenty of advertising or aren’t ‘interested’ (ie a personal donation).  It would promote CSF pretty widely but you could ask why would they not just donate the money.

1 hour ago, Bovril said:

Hold on “seven figure sum” sounds like it’s in the million bracket. That will be pathetic if so for a premier league main sponsor.

If the best deal with an “acceptable” brand that can be achieved is £4m less than the BK8 offering (although personally I can’t believe a premier league team with a competent commercial dept cant do better) then there is perhaps a serious point here about whether the outraged vocal minority on Twitter and social media are beginning to have too much sway given we continue to be “self funding” as we are reminded at every opportunity.  It appears they have perhaps forced Kensell out as well despite ironically Twitter now being full of the same people saying how sad they are to see him go!

The fact that other sponsors, who are basically hard-nosed business sorts who will focus on the bottom line first, also noted objections to BK8 apparently seems neither here nor there.

Denigrating critics as "woke" is the last card of those with no plausible counter-arguments.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

None of the above are going to be paying us £5m a year are they!

No, Jim, they won't be. You are absolutely right. A valid point indeed. We will be a few million worse off.  £5m minus £zm worse off.

27 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

If the best deal with an “acceptable” brand that can be achieved is £4m less than the BK8 offering (although personally I can’t believe a premier league team with a competent commercial dept cant do better) then there is perhaps a serious point here about whether the outraged vocal minority on Twitter and social media are beginning to have too much sway given we continue to be “self funding” as we are reminded at every opportunity.  It appears they have perhaps forced Kensell out as well despite ironically Twitter now being full of the same people saying how sad they are to see him go!

Oh do **** off with this lame duck effort to blame the failings of the club on some fictional "vocal minority" part of the fan base. 

There is no conversation to be had. An organisation with the importance of the club within the Norfolk community must value it's integrity and relationship with its fans above all else, and most definitely a measly £5m.

A club with premier league money - even a self funding one - should be able to cover a £5m shortfall in budgets without too much fuss. 

Edited by Terminally Yellow
  • Like 4

Sounds as if Lotus owners playing hard ball themselves if it's only £1-£2m. Fantastic value for them to get visibility from the worldwide platform that is the Premier League.

It's a missed opportunity for NCFC for sure.

39 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Jim, you seem to lack a bit of self-knowledge, you and Kenny Foggo, railing about mobs and outraged vocal minorities. What do you think you are if not part of a vocal anti-Smith and Jones minority using cyberspace to make it look as if you are the voice of the majority of the fans? Have you forgotten the fiasco of the banner to be flown over Carrow Road, for which about two and six was raised?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Jim, you seem to lack a bit of self-knowledge, you and Kenny Foggo, railing about mobs and outraged vocal minorities. What do you think you are if not part of a vocal anti-Smith and Jones minority using cyberspace to make it look as if you are the voice of the majority of the fans? Have you forgotten the fiasco of the banner to be flown over Carrow Road, for which about two and six was raised?

I don’t claim to be the voice of the fans Purple although I am confident that outside of the social media bubble and in the stands at Carrow Road there are a lot more fans who think like me and Kenny Foggo than the opposite camp would  think is the case, even if us “dinosaurs” are a dying breed.

there are, however, a large group of (in some cases almost self appointed) fans “spokespeople” online who do seem to present themselves as doing so most of whom tend to lean to one side of the fence.

I wasn’t keen on the BK8 sponsorship I will admit. But I will be less keen if we are now told we have to sell another poster due to a £4m hole in our budget. 

It really is pathetic if a Premier league club cannot get a £5 million + shirt sponsor as this was the minimum about 3 years ago.

Notwithstanding the ethical considerations it should still be possible.