Maltesecanary

Leeds Agree Fee For Gunn

They’ve been linked before so it wouldn’t be be that big a surprise - nor that big a deal imo.

Edited by Branston Pickle

I guess it would be a nice story if he does end up here but it's not a priority for us this season. Replacing Emi and Skipp with equally good players might need that £5 better spent elsewhere

Don't hugely mind either way. We clearly rate him but I always thought it seemed a bit much to spend for a second choice keeper.

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Think Krul, Gunn and McGovern would make a cracking three goalkeeper team.  Full of character and love for the club.

Might need to play all 3 together to keep some of the top EPL teams out! 

• Haha 4

I'd love to have Gunn back but spending about a 5th of our budget on a backup GK makes me wince a bit tbh. I'd much rather we do all we can to strengthen our central midfield and add pace out wide before worrying about a backup GK. I know transfers don't arrive according to priority but committing so much to a backup position at this early stage makes me feel uneasy. 

If krul get's injured if you gave me the choice between a PL quality center of the park with McGovern in goal or Gunn in goal and a midfield of Rupp, Mclean and Dowell getting absolutely carved through, out paced and bullied off the ball leading to shots raining in on our goal I'd definitely prefer the former

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

Just now, Greavsy said:

Might need to play all 3 together to keep some of the top EPL teams out! 

As a point of interest is there any law of the game that would prevent a team playing multiple keepers? For example can only one player nominated as a goalkeeper be allowed to handle the ball?

35 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

I know for a fact that he is house hunting in this area 

That’s as maybe, but he can always stop if the deal gets hijacked - it’s interesting that none of us seems overly bothered 

Edited by Branston Pickle

58 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Hopefully true, he’s not as good as many think on here. 

I'd probably trust the Farke and the professional coaching team when it comes to determining how good he is, or could be, over some bloke who saw him have a the Southampton, the chap literally had a one year trial and at 25 is very young for a keeper... Got a decade left in the game.

24 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I'd love to have Gunn back but spending about a 5th of our budget on a backup GK makes me wince a bit tbh.

How do you know what the budget is?

Bit stupid to announce a deal before the deal was concluded wasn’t it? But an obvious deflection from sponsorgate / buendiagate

30 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

How do you know what the budget is?

Connor Southwell said 15m before we sold Emi. I am certain we won't spend the full 33m from the Emi sale, we as a club just don't do that. So I guessed 15m to start + 15m from selling Buendia. So really I should have said one sixth not one fifth. But still, it is a hell of a lot for a player who will probably at most play 10 games next year and that would be in a worst case scenario of Krul getting injured.

28 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Bit stupid to announce a deal before the deal was concluded wasn’t it? But an obvious deflection from sponsorgate / buendiagate

NCFC haven’t announced anything.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

That’s as maybe, but he can always stop if the deal gets hijacked - it’s interesting that none of us seems overly bothered 

I think nobody’s bothered because we want to see how the club is planning to fill that Emi-shaped hole in the outfield team. A new backup goalie just doesn’t feel like a priority right now, regardless what irons we have in the fire it just feels a bit “meh”.

23 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I think nobody’s bothered because we want to see how the club is planning to fill that Emi-shaped hole in the outfield team. A new backup goalie just doesn’t feel like a priority right now, regardless what irons we have in the fire it just feels a bit “meh”.

Surely all clubs wanting to stay in the PL need a strong GK lineup?  To me this makes perfect sense and would be an important statement of our intent. 

37 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

A new backup goalie will feel like a priority alright if Krul were to get injured. The chorus of condemnation on here if Krul was ruled out and we didn't have a decent back up in place would be deafening. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Surely all clubs wanting to stay in the PL need a strong GK lineup?  To me this makes perfect sense and would be an important statement of our intent. 

I know LDC, I’m not saying we don’t need strong keepers, I’m saying that with the loss of Emi our current team has far mor expressing concerns than who plays backup to Krul.

If both bids have been accepted then the decision is with the player.

If Gunn wants to return then an agreement can be made on wages. If he chooses Leeds then that's ok and it wasn't meant to be.

1 minute ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I know LDC, I’m not saying we don’t need strong keepers, I’m saying that with the loss of Emi our current team has far mor expressing concerns than who plays backup to Krul.

I'm not too worried about the Emi thing.  Very disappointed at the time,  with the way and where he went, but we'll adapt to what players we have or can get and will move on.  We'll probably get one or two attacking midfielders in, but I wouldn't be disappointed to see Cantwell/Dowell/Idah as the three across the pitch and able to show that they can be effective. 

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Think Krul, Gunn and McGovern would make a cracking three goalkeeper team.  Full of character and love for the club.

I mean we’ll find out if Gunn has love for the club. He already left once, if he chooses Leeds I think you can dispel any idea of love for our club.

Most people don’t love their employers, the romanticism fans have is pretty naive. 

• Like 1

So basically Angus will have to decide which club he wants to go to. I would imagine more money at Leeds vs potentially more games and the prospect of being our no.1

I think it will show where the 'love' is.