Sign in to follow this  
birchfest

So will Max stay?

I think we all thought Max was the one that would be leaving us first, the rumblings from the club and the interest in the last two windows made it clear he was in demand. I must admit that was the player I thought Webber was softening us up for. Buendia going is by no means a shock, but I am curious to know if this changes the chances of anyone else going?

So what do we think? Aarons stays or will he go? Another 30 million and we would have a huge transfer pot, probably our biggest ever or will the club be looking to hang onto him now?

In all honesty I thought we had a better chance of keeping Emi another year. I think he leaves for a similar fee and we go big in the transfer market.

Feel with Emi gone we will now do all we can to keep Max/Cantwell.

We lose both him and Emi then boy howdy are we in even bigger trouble than we already are, and god knows this place will become 'no ambition' central  🙃

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Can't see anybody getting close for that to Cantwell. I'd imagine he's being told to step out of Emi's shadow and be the main man next season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Can't see anybody getting close for that to Cantwell. I'd imagine he's being told to step out of Emi's shadow and be the main man next season.

Exactly my thoughts. Wouldn't be surprised if we go 4-3-2-1, get a more defensive midfielder or two, and tell Cantwell and Dowell that the stage is theirs.

This is a part of the model that intrigues me.

How do you keep Max, Pukki and Cantwell content when they see Ben and Emi getting big money moves?

If someone pony’s up the money for Max he’ll be off, that much is clear. It’s whether the rumoured interest reappears and matches what we want. As great a player as Max is and as bright a future as he’s bound to have I don’t think he’ll be anywhere near as hard to replace to a decent standard.

Edited by Monty13

35 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

If someone pony’s up the money for Max he’ll be off, that much is clear. It’s whether the rumoured interest reappears and matches what we want. As great a player as Max is and as bright a future as he’s bound to have I don’t think he’ll be anywhere near as hard to replace to a decent standard.

Bali Mumba doesn’t look like a bad acquisition to be fair 

I love max but he’ll get the move he deserves and it’ll be for £40m+ 

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Feel with Emi gone we will now do all we can to keep Max/Cantwell.

We lose both him and Emi then boy howdy are we in even bigger trouble than we already are, and god knows this place will become 'no ambition' central  🙃

I don’t think we are in any trouble at all 

season starts in 2 months time plenty of time to sort a replacement 

14 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

Bali Mumba doesn’t look like a bad acquisition to be fair 

I love max but he’ll get the move he deserves and it’ll be for £40m+ 

He is going but not for that price. 

46 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Would you stay if you were Max? 

Nah.. go to a club with ambition. Our fantastic owners have already said he will be a top player but not with us. Still imagine the excitement of getting another few million in the bank....

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

We should just play next season with prices on our shirts and not numbers. 

Hopefully we'll get a bit more than £2 for max 😂. I know what you're saying tho, it does feel that way at the moment 

Max was the obvious one to leave, considering all of the transfer speculation in the last 18 months but it seems to have gone quiet. Whilst he had a good season, he didn't set the world alight with goals/assists and didn't have too much defending to do.

Out of the three (Todd, Max, Emi), Max was the one that I was most comfortable selling because it wouldn't be hard to find a more experienced replacement. Also, when you consider that Emi has just gone for 33 million, 30 million for Max would be huge.

Whilst Max has more interest, I wouldn't be surprised to see Todd leaving. His value will drop the moment the transfer window closes if he doesn't sign a new contract because, by the time the January transfer window comes around, he will only have 18 months left on his current deal. 

Why not, if they make a quick profit? The board have made it obvious they have no interest in trying to stay up. 

1 hour ago, The Bunny said:

Why not, if they make a quick profit? The board have made it obvious they have no interest in trying to stay up. 

Oh bull. It’s the sell high and bring on the next player model at work. Why do you think young talent comes to Norwich? 

I’m sure Max will go this Summer too. But a lot easier to find a good quality right back than a replacement for Emi, Todd is going to have to step up big time (although he wasn’t too shabby in the Premier League two seasons ago) and it’ll be interesting who we sign to play advanced right midfield, or is this Josh Martin’s time to step forward? 

He will go for 30mil + as well. As others have said his position is easier to replace than Emi so not so worried. Still gutted on Emi going to Villa though, he is much better than that. Probably we will manage to pick up 1-2 new un polished diamonds but they will only start to shine back in the championship. If we keep selling our crown jewels upon promotion we will remain in the Current cycle indefinitely.

Edited by Helsinki canary

6 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

We should just play next season with prices on our shirts and not numbers. 

Put "Free, buyer collects" on the back of yours. 

4 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Put "Free, buyer collects" on the back of yours. 

😀

"Comes with free poopa-scoop".

Edited by Herman

Aw, lovely, a nice "happy clapper" and "happy crapper" dichotomy going on here.

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Happy Clapper on yours sir. 

That's not a price.

I'll get a team of "Clappers" together, you can organise a "Misery Guts XI" - I'll allow you a squad of 26 so you can fit everyone in... 

As with ANY of our players, it comes down to 2 aspects:

1) Are other clubs willing to pay what we're asking?

2) Does Max want to move?

The interesting part here is that unless 2 is true, the first could be irrelevant, as we don't need to sell and if they player is happy, then we'll keep them, however if it's not, then Max would be going regardless of our current finance situation/desires etc.

I would certainly imagine a discussion was had with him when Barca came knocking, and I wouldn't be surprised if he was given assurances that we wouldn't stand in the way of a deal if a fair offer came in and he was in favour of the move, we only turned Barca down because it was a loan offer, had they been willing to throw 25+ million at us at that point for Max on a perm, he'd have already been gone.

48 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Aw, lovely, a nice "happy clapper" and "happy crapper" dichotomy going on here.

Well, yes it's childish, but these people are tiresome. None of this is unexpected,out of the blue, news. Yes it's disappointing, especially bloody Villa, but it has been on the cards for a very long time so to behave in such a way is very poor.

Buendia - most likely out of all our players to move for big money. Zero shock.

Max - also very likely to move for big bucks. Zero shock if he goes.

Todd - probably will be moved if a very good offer comes in. The club will not want to go through a similar situation as last season so may just take the money. (Maybe if he is promised he will be the main man or some such morale booster he may stay.) Nearly zero shocks if he goes.

The fact we kept all three last season to get us back up should be a testament to how the club are doing what is best for the club, but no, the doom-mongers can never see the positives of the club's actions. Ho-hum, same as it ever was.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Herman said:

Buendia - most likely out of all our players to move for big money. Zero shock.

In fairness, no one is shocked about him leaving. It's the destination and fee that has, quite understandably, riled people up.

I think if Max goes for what we sold Emi for that will be about right, as long as he doesn't go to someone like Leeds or Wolves. Some will still use it as a stick to beat the club with, but they'll be idiots.

I don't think anyone is being an idiot for us letting Buendia go for less than Andy Carroll or Joelinton. It's a justified mix of anger, concern and bemusement. 

If that's quelled by the funds getting used to sign Skipp and an able replacement like Pereira then well done NCFC, there will be plenty of wet pants being hung on the washing line, but in the here and now worrying about the future after selling Emi undervalue to a team that an ambitious club would be viewing as rivals next season is a reasonable stance to adopt.