Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

Liverpool ‘enquire’ about Emi Buendía

3 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

Let’s get real here. Whilst we have replaced Godfrey and Lewis with Gibson and Giannoulis/Quintilla our squad is pretty much the same,. That squad was just too inadequate to survive in the Premier League. I do think our defence is better although the play of Skipp has supported this and we may well not have him next season. 
Can you really see the club investing the level of money needed to strengthen key positions in the side given we are already committed to purchase Gibson and Giannoulis and might purchase Quintilla? I think we have a reasonable chance of finishing 17th but to imagine we will finish top half of the table is canary coloured spectacles territory.

Exactly this.

I think its easy to forget just how far off the pace we were last season- we hit the bottom three in October and never left, we hit 20th place on Boxing Day and also never left. We finished 14 points off safety, and even if we'd doubled our points total we'd have finished 15th- to finish top 10 we'd have needed 34 more points than we ended up getting. To finish in LDC's fantasy world of top 4 we'd have needed another 45 points! More than 3 times of what we achieved.

I think this squad with a better defence and more balance has a greater chance of putting up a fight and getting those extra 10-15, especially with some key reinforcements in place. But it isn't negative to suggest that finishing 17th would be a success for a team trying to stay up on a significantly smaller budget than most.

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

Exactly this.

I think its easy to forget just how far off the pace we were last season- we hit the bottom three in October and never left, we hit 20th place on Boxing Day and also never left. We finished 14 points off safety, and even if we'd doubled our points total we'd have finished 15th- to finish top 10 we'd have needed 34 more points than we ended up getting. To finish in LDC's fantasy world of top 4 we'd have needed another 45 points! More than 3 times of what we achieved.

I think this squad with a better defence and more balance has a greater chance of putting up a fight and getting those extra 10-15, especially with some key reinforcements in place. But it isn't negative to suggest that finishing 17th would be a success for a team trying to stay up on a significantly smaller budget than most.

17th would be a fantastic result for us!

Liverpool should be looking at Emi. They have some overpaid litter to offload, and free up money. Origi & Shaqiri to start. Wijnaldum looks like he is leaving. just hope they offer a decent amount, plus a player exchange. How about Davies, the defender they recently bought from PNE and £50million ?

5 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

I'm normally extremely optimistic at the start of new seasons, but even I think top 4 is a bit much, I'll tell you one thing though if we achieve it i'll treat you to the mother of all drinking sessions.

A very good season next season, would still imo be 17th.

I’m predicting finishing in the top 1 next season, can I have a car?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

17th would be a fantastic result for us!

It would be amazing to be honest- especially if we have to sell Emi and Max as it seems we may. 

6 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I’m predicting finishing in the top 1 next season, can I have a car?

If we win the Premier League I'll buy you two cars 😄

• Haha 1

Regarding the chat on here about who or what we need to sign to do better than last season, let’s not forget we had absolutely rotten luck with injuries. Take for instance, Grant Hanley. It’s not fair to judge him for example because he hardly played not carrying an injury. So no one on here can satisfactorily or reasonably write such players off and how they might fare this time around. I would put money on it a fit Grant Hanley does a fair bit better than an injured one - not to mention, crucially, he’s really kicked in and looks 10 times the player we signed. So couple that example with the signings we’ve made and the new signings we will invariably make, the players that have developed and matured further, and it’s quite a different (and improved) Norwich City this time around.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, king canary said:

Exactly this.

I agree, but I always got the feeling that we weren't a million miles away.

- A lot of the games were lost by a one goal margin.

- Horrendous injuries

- Transfers that just didn't improve the team

Add to that that our defence is a lot more experienced now. With Jamal, Max and Ben, we had such an inexperienced back line. 

A lot of our wins were agains the better footballing teams (Man City, Leicester, Everton). A bit more quality added, better luck with injuries and a bit more PL nous and I'm sure we will do better than three other teams next year. 

Webber and Farke will have to be here for a while if we were to get into the top half.

3 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

I agree, but I always got the feeling that we weren't a million miles away.

- A lot of the games were lost by a one goal margin.

- Horrendous injuries

- Transfers that just didn't improve the team

Add to that that our defence is a lot more experienced now. With Jamal, Max and Ben, we had such an inexperienced back line. 

A lot of our wins were agains the better footballing teams (Man City, Leicester, Everton). A bit more quality added, better luck with injuries and a bit more PL nous and I'm sure we will do better than three other teams next year. 

Webber and Farke will have to be here for a while if we were to get into the top half.

Yeah fundamentally I agree with you- this squad is already better equipped to stay up than the squad of two years ago (obviously we need to stay fit) and with the right additions in the right places (central defence, defensive midfield and upfront if we don't sell anyone but can't keep Skipp) then I'm confident we could finish 16th/17th. 

13 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Regarding the chat on here about who or what we need to sign to do better than last season, let’s not forget we had absolutely rotten luck with injuries. Take for instance, Grant Hanley. It’s not fair to judge him for example because he hardly played not carrying an injury. So no one on here can satisfactorily or reasonably write such players off and how they might fare this time around. I would put money on it a fit Grant Hanley does a fair bit better than an injured one - not to mention, crucially, he’s really kicked in and looks 10 times the player we signed. So couple that example with the signings we’ve made and the new signings we will invariably make, the players that have developed and matured further, and it’s quite a different (and improved) Norwich City this time around.

Spot on. 

Whilst I'm a realist and an optimist, it was the combination of the widely published injuries to our key defenders that enhanced our demise. That and the lack of a 4th fit CD at the start.

This is an entirely different NCFC in every case this time round and whilst we are probably not top ten bound (if we are promoted etc etc etc) I am optimistic we could do better than 18th in the PL. One of our strengths right now is the team spirit, it is obviously very high and if we can keep that togetherness going we could start next season well.

Our weaknesses are obvious and need no further explanation, the likes of liverpool et el know they only have to cast an admiring glance and some of our team will go weak at the knees, upsetting our group. 

However, our single aces is the Webber/Farke combo and no matter what rumours or fears are spread regarding any of our players, it is this management team we need to keep in place at all costs for our next challenge.

8 minutes ago, East Rider said:

However, our single aces is the Webber/Farke combo and no matter what rumours or fears are spread regarding any of our players, it is this management team we need to keep in place at all costs for our next challenge.

Both of their contracts are up at the end of next season and the general consensus seems to be that Webber is still planning on leaving

6 minutes ago, East Rider said:

Spot on. 

Whilst I'm a realist and an optimist, it was the combination of the widely published injuries to our key defenders that enhanced our demise. That and the lack of a 4th fit CD at the start.

This is an entirely different NCFC in every case this time round and whilst we are probably not top ten bound (if we are promoted etc etc etc) I am optimistic we could do better than 18th in the PL. One of our strengths right now is the team spirit, it is obviously very high and if we can keep that togetherness going we could start next season well.

Our weaknesses are obvious and need no further explanation, the likes of liverpool et el know they only have to cast an admiring glance and some of our team will go weak at the knees, upsetting our group. 

Spot on back at you, East Rider. Totally agree with all of that, not sure how any sane person could do otherwise to be honest.

The singular biggest key to our future I feel is, not what players we lose, but keeping Webber and Farke... somehow. With them at the helm, I feel very reassured that no matter what player moves on, we won’t suffer. Imperative we do everything we can to keep them here. 

25 minutes ago, East Rider said:

Spot on. 

I agree they enhanced our demise, I think where I differ from some is I think these things are maybe the difference between us finishing 19th and finishing 20th, rather than what sent us down. Can't prove it either way though!

There will need to be lessons learned from last season in that anyone we sign has to be someone who can actually improve the first 11, not a Drmic type who comes in to play backup. Hanley for me is a great example of a player who, if we're serious about staying up, probably needs someone who pushes him out of the starting XI or at least gives him and Gibson serious competition. Harsh in some ways as he's been a rock this season but there is a reason he's spent most of his career as a solid hand in the Championship. 

I'd argue we ended up being to sentimental last time and failed to improve some glaring holes in the squad (defensive midfield being the obvious one) as we wanted to let the guys who got us up have their shot. I believe if we do the same again we'll suffer a similar fate. 

Edited by king canary
typos

If we are selling I think we should really upset Liverpool by selling Emi and Max to Everton. 

11 minutes ago, king canary said:

I agree they enhanced our demise, I think where I differ from some is I think these things are maybe the difference between us finishing 19th and finishing 20th, rather than what sent us down. Can't prove it either way though!

There will need to be lessons learned from last season in that anyone we sign has to be someone who can actually improve the first 11, not a Drmic type who comes in to play backup. Hanley for me is a great example of a player who, if we're serious about staying up, probably needs someone who pushes him out of the starting XI or at least gives him and Gibson serious competition. Harsh in some ways as he's been a rock this season but there is a reason he's spent most of his career as a solid hand in the Championship. 

I'd argue we ended up being to sentimental last time and failed to improve some glaring holes in the squad (defensive midfield being the obvious one) as we wanted to let the guys who got us up have their shot. I believe if we do the same again we'll suffer a similar fate. 

Based on nothing but my feelings, I think Hanley is a premier league quality CB now. This seasons run of games has seen him come on massively. He’s now pretty much peak age for a CB too. 

I completely agree we need more depth in the CB department, but if we go into next season with a (fit) Hanley/Gibson partnership, and they can stay fit and continue to build their bond, then we have a PL quality pairing imo.

I’d rather see our top dollar ‘premium signing’ be a defensive midfielder, assuming we can’t get Skipp back

5 minutes ago, Vazzza said:

Based on nothing but my feelings, I think Hanley is a premier league quality CB now. This seasons run of games has seen him come on massively. He’s now pretty much peak age for a CB too. 

Too right, Wes Morgan became a premier league stalwart at 30 odd and never looked back. I’ve slated Hanley in the past but let’s not rule out his maturing to an accomplished CB at that level. 

4 hours ago, king canary said:

He's going to be hugely tough to keep- he's 24 now, about to enter the prime of his career and I wouldn't blame him for not wanting to give up another year of his career for a relegation battle.

I agree, he has been fantastic- he will want to play at the highest standard his ability will let him play at.  I would love to come up with a deal to keep him another year.

4 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Who says it's going to be a relegation battle?  Surely we go into a new season with optimism and fire in our bellies?  Sheff Utd proved it can be done from promotion to the top league so why shouldn't we, especially as we (arguably) have a better squad than last time?

I do agree, but please don't go over the top this time and start talking about Champions League qualification... Binners read this forum, and we can't ridicule them for being delusional if we've got fans saying we can finish 4th. 

I'd like to think we can keep Emi for one more season, same with Aaron's, but every player has their price. 

Hopefully he will stay with us and help us make a good challenge next season. We have something special going on here and if we are in the PL, we will need all the good players we have now - and we don't need to sell any of them.

We might not need to sell anyone but it's a different story if they want to leave.

Why would any player in demand not want to substantially increase their wages, play in a better team and more likely win things ? I'll bet all of us would jump at the chance.

1 hour ago, Ken Hairy said:

If we win the Premier League I'll buy you two cars 😄

Best bung a tenner on at the bookies now as insurance.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Best bung a tenner on at the bookies now as insurance.

Good call, although in fairness I never said new cars.......or even real ones.....🤣

22 minutes ago, Vazzza said:

I completely agree we need more depth in the CB department, but if we go into next season with a (fit) Hanley/Gibson partnership, and they can stay fit and continue to build their bond, then we have a PL quality pairing imo.

I’d rather see our top dollar ‘premium signing’ be a defensive midfielder, assuming we can’t get Skipp back

I agree. Until this season I had negative views on Hanley mainly caused by his injuries, as when he was fit to play it didn’t seem to be long until he got injured again and during the time he played there never really seemed to be much to credit him for. This season however has been completely different though, and I think he’s a contender for POTS.

We certainly need to sign another CB though, as both last and this season we have had injury problems in that position 

Who says it's going to be a relegation battle?  Surely we go into a new season with optimism and fire in our bellies?  Sheff Utd proved it can be done from promotion to the top league so why shouldn't we, especially as we (arguably) have a better squad than last time?

What colour is the sky in the Lake District?

33 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I do agree, but please don't go over the top this time and start talking about Champions League qualification...

I didn't do that last time, all I ever said was that anything is possible....and that still stands...anything is possible.  We could have a terrible season and finish bottom, we could have a brilliant season and finish near the top, nothing is cast in stone.

JK: Hi Daniel, it’s Jürgen here, I’m just enquiring about Emi.

DF: Hi Jürgen, he’s fine thanks. By the way, your teeth look stupid.

2 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Exactly this. Don't forget that whilst we did finish lower than a snake's t-i-t-s, we had most of our centre-halves out for most of the season.

If Gibson and Hanley stay fit for most of it, we'll have a fighting chance of staying up. Zimbo really should be number 4, so we need one centre-half, then let Owobamidele out on loan. Famewo could be kept as an emergency. Dael Fry's the chap I'd like to see come in. We're not going to be short of attacking firepower at our best with Buendia, Cantwell, and Pukki, but we need a bit more depth.

We need a centre-half and a Pukki back-up. If we can find a nasty piece of work to kick lumps in the middle, that's a bonus.

Edited by TheGunnShow

1 hour ago, Vazzza said:

I think we should all take notice of this. I totally respect Kingo’s views that there’s a reason why Grant has spent much of his career in the Championship, and that’s fair enough based on the past. But for me that’s the key issue. That was the past.

I’m of the opinion that this season, well I don’t know what’s happened, and yes I know it’s in the Championship, but dare I say it he looks like a completely different player to what I’ve seen in the past.

The one thing I know is this. He really looks a Premier League defender, and captain, to me. Everything about Grant’s play has come on leaps and bounds. Technically he just looks vastly superior a player. Granted he only played so much last season, and we didn’t really see him fit, but no more having to exert half his physical and mental energy on marshalling a young inexperienced CB partner constantly. He’s been able to concentrate more on what he does best alongside Ben Gibson, and coupled with his technical improvement, I think we’re seeing a vastly improved consistent all round CB in Grant Hanley ‘21. I would go as far to say that only Emi in the squad has shown as much growth as a footballer as Grant has this season. As long as he’s fit, I will feel very confident with him starting games next season. Immense.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I hate to say it but the perfect fit for Emi would be Leicester right now. They could sell Maddison, sign Emi and have £30/40m in the bank.

Champions league football on the horizon and a better player to kick on some more. 

Why sell maddison? Emi wouldn't be  his replacement,  can you imagine the Leicester  fans howling at Emis free kicks  and corners....but he would be a good addition to their squad.