Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

Ben Godfrey - Cough..............

When we sold him to Everton there were a few posters on here saying he was rubbish, would never make it in the Premier League etc, etc.......

This from today's BBC match report. 

Doucoure was outstanding but it was 22-year-old Godfrey, the England under-21 defender signed from Norwich City, who was arguably the game's outstanding player.

Godfrey is playing in an unfamiliar left-back role but gave a superb performance, thunderous in the tackle and showing an astonishing turn of speed to lead a second half counter-attack.

Always like to read about our ex-players doing well - especially if their ongoing good performances are likely to trigger more payments to us under clauses in their transfer deals.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, FenwayFrank said:

What will they say when they see him in defensive midfield ? ....

You naughty boy!

• Like 1

The narcissism in me wants to see us be paid tens of millions for one of players only for them to turn up and bomb because i don't want to feel the pain of selling them.

But..... He's an excellent player...and the other half of me doesnt think that way. 

his raw ability was never in doubt but he was dealt a bad hand last season in being the only fit centre back we had for basically most of the season. Was always a huge ask for him.

Looks like we have both benefitted from this transfer. Gibson looks every bit the perfect replacement for him and Godfrey looks to have found another gear under a world class manager.

It does sadden me to think what could have been seeing him in a 5 at the back system if we'd had the players.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone said he was rubbish. I think the main criticism was that whilst he had all the tools to become a top Premier League defender, he was still very raw and lacked natural defensive instinct, which was understandable due to the fact he only really started to play at centre back midway through the 2018/19 season. If Ancelotti and the Everton coaching staff have sharpened up his defensive basics, then everyone is a winner, including us with our £5m worth of add-ons.

10 minutes ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

I thought the OP might have been about him catching COVID.

He's so quick he can catch anything he wants. 🙂 

• Like 1

Ben is immense, he has all the physical attribute, although his positioning and his tendency to dive into challenge need improving.  He is getting better with age, as long as he keeps learning and developing he will be an international player.  We were lucky to have him. Hanley, and Gibson are very reliable steady defenders, which has improved us.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

Ben is immense, he has all the physical attribute, although his positioning and his tendency to dive into challenge need improving.  He is getting better with age, as long as he keeps learning and developing he will be an international player.  We were lucky to have him. Hanley, and Gibson are very reliable steady defenders, which has improved us.

He's also super quick for a centreback, which is always a big bonus these days given pace is super an important part of todays modern football and all.

• Like 1

I think his main issue was his man marking and positioning. In that sense, he actually might be better suited as fullback atm. There he can use his skills and pace, but marking mistakes are not so costly. And of course he constantly improves in his age.

Great to see him doing well!

• Like 2

Everton have a more solid team generally and he hasn’t been played at CB but if he is he will play well. He is the 2nd coming of Rio Ferdinand. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Everton have a more solid team generally and he hasn’t been played at CB but if he is he will play well. He is the 2nd coming of Rio Ferdinand. 

Indeed, much as I can praise our team for being as good as we are in the Championship- Everton are 2nd in the Prem table and under a fantastic mananger, with a team full of top class players, I have a feeling quite a few of our players could thrive in the Prem at top clubs if they were surronded by world class players.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Indeed, much as I can praise our team for being as good as we are in the Championship- Everton are 2nd in the Prem table and under a fantastic mananger, with a team full of top class players, I have a feeling quite a few of our players could thrive in the Prem at top clubs if they were surronded by world class players.

Emi in particular. Just imagine him playing in the Liverpool team with Salah, Mane and Firmino in front of him. Hopefully he'll be here for the rest of the season 

Personally Im thrilled he is doing well and regularly starting, why you ask? Because it will financially benefit Norwich. We all know there were add ons probably close to 5 Million or so on his sale, likely to do with starts, playing/qualifying for Europe and getting a senior England cap. Every little helps, lets hope he smashes it and we cash in. No we just need Maddison to go for 60 million and we get our 10%...

I think most on her recognized his talent and like Madison had outgrown the club and needed to moveon to a bigger stage, and Everton will not be that club, he will soon be ready for international and European football

On 20/12/2020 at 04:46, dylanisabaddog said:

We're playing in the Championship! 

@GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary knows far more about it than Carlo Ancelloti.

But at least we can expect £25m bids for our "better" CBs.

• Thanks 1

And this from the Guardian's 10 Premier League Talking Points from this weekend - contrasting Godfrey with Arsenal's £72 million signing Nicolas Pepe.

The contrast was encapsulated in the battle between Ben Godfrey and Nicolas Pépé. Everton’s summer signing from Norwich, a right‑sided central defender by trade, has been deployed as a makeshift left-back in the absence of Lucas Digne. Resolute and determined, the 22-year-old was one reason Arsenal’s second-half improvement did not yield too many problems for Jordan Pickford. Pépé’s performance was another. He wilted in the face of Godfrey’s opposition.

10 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

And this from the Guardian's 10 Premier League Talking Points from this weekend - contrasting Godfrey with Arsenal's £72 million signing Nicolas Pepe.

The contrast was encapsulated in the battle between Ben Godfrey and Nicolas Pépé. Everton’s summer signing from Norwich, a right‑sided central defender by trade, has been deployed as a makeshift left-back in the absence of Lucas Digne. Resolute and determined, the 22-year-old was one reason Arsenal’s second-half improvement did not yield too many problems for Jordan Pickford. Pépé’s performance was another. He wilted in the face of Godfrey’s opposition.

Didn’t he play almost exclusively as the left -sided central defender for us? 😳

On ‎20‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 10:04, dylanisabaddog said:

Emi in particular. Just imagine him playing in the Liverpool team with Salah, Mane and Firmino in front of him. Hopefully he'll be here for the rest of the season 

Yep this is so true, Godfrey was good for us last season, but he's clearly much improved with a solid foundation around him rather than a team that's low of quality / fit and available players / confidence.

Considering Buendia has been an outstanding attacking player since joining us - even last season despite how ****e we were - can you imagine how good he'd be with quality players around him in a team which dominates possession?

His recent performances this season have been magical for us. He appears to have shaken the 'but he doesn't score enough goals' criticism off his back too. That Cardiff goal on Sat was a prime example, two seasons ago he'd have tried to thread Pukki through for an assist - this season he's got much more of a selfish edge for wanting to score - I'm a big fan!

And some posters don't think he's even in the same league as Maddison 😢 Criminal!

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler