Always liked him as a character and player, right from early on when he played at left back. Great to see him back to goal scoring form. His goals were crucial last time in the championship and his passes and now goal, shows he still has that ability to affect games positively.  Top bloke.

• Like 2

He’s not always the best footballer but he’s always an important player in the championship for us. He just makes a nuisance of himself and makes space for the others. This is good. I’m sure he’ll get sharper as well.

He is a big physical presence at this level and that goal will have done his confidence a lot of good. He is starting to show the form that made him such a big part of that promotion which can be good news

He had an awful 20 minute period in the second half where he couldn't hold the ball up, lost his first touch completely and couldn't pass 10 yards. I'm sure they must have been considering subbing him just before he scored that goal!

• Like 3

Took his goal well yesterday, but most of the time he looks like he's trying to control a balloon. Has a role to play at this level, but not in the league above.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, hogesar said:

He had an awful 20 minute period in the second half where he couldn't hold the ball up, lost his first touch completely and couldn't pass 10 yards. I'm sure they must have been considering subbing him just before he scored that goal!

He had an awful 80 minutes Hogs, no control misplace passing and just not in the game, but a crucial goal scored so credit there..but certainly without that goal was pretty bad performance.

Time will tell if he can gain his form, let’s be honest lots of pressure on him to perform as we have a wealth of options in that position.

Good to see options.

• Like 2

Not the greatest in terms of skill but doesn’t hide and always gives his all for the team. Good character to have around as well.

I bought a Vw t4 campervan last year and we named it Stiepervan after him!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

When he plays well we play well but agree with others, there were times yesterday where it looked he couldn't control a medicine ball. 

Took his goal well and that's what he gives us, bit like Mario he comes up with the big goals when we need them. 

My one big criticism of him is that he terrible in the air and for a guy his size he should be more of a danger for us in that aspect. 

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

I’ll hold my hands up, up until he scored I’d been slagging him off, he was dire in the 2nd half and was totally ineffective right up until he finally put his foot through a shot and gave us 3 points. Marco is the ultimate confidence player, hopefully that gives him some!

He is a bit of an enigma. He often looks rubbish but then pulls out incredible through-balls and the occasional goal. He seems to have made an art out of the heavy touch where he seemingly miss-controls the ball but can just about collect the loose ball or gets a ricochet which goes his way. It only seems to work in the Championship, but at this level he's a real threat and he seems to bring the best out of Pukki too.

The biggest problem is he’s just not good at holding the ball, when he runs he inevitably doesn’t see a pass and runs into the opposition losing the ball, as above for his size can’t header a ball and when needed doesn’t track back the same as Buendia or Cantwell.

On his day a great player and certainly puts a shift in, but choice between him and Cantwell then Cantwell for me every time, he’s better on the ball, passes better and tracks back when needed.

It’s interesting reading the positive comments above. I seem to recall he was pretty decent in our last championship season then for me he went off the boil in the Premier League and hasn’t really found his form since. 

six minutes before he scored yesterday, I even texted on my family group chat “I don’t get Stiepermann” to which she gave the perfect reply!

I don't think he was as bad yesterday as some of the comments on here make out - that extra physicality he gives us up top is really important.

Emi also seemed to be off his game, which along with Steipermann not being at his best, affected our fluency going forward. That said, we still won out against won of the best teams I have seen in the division so far this season, and I have no doubt Steipermann is going to have a big role to play this season.

On 08/11/2020 at 12:35, Ian said:

I don't think he was as bad yesterday as some of the comments on here make out - that extra physicality he gives us up top is really important.

Emi also seemed to be off his game, which along with Steipermann not being at his best, affected our fluency going forward. That said, we still won out against won of the best teams I have seen in the division so far this season, and I have no doubt Steipermann is going to have a big role to play this season.

What extra physicality?   He gives us nothing, not in the air, not on the floor and he’s the worst player we have for shielding the ball!   
...that lack of physicality resulted in Bristol City’s goal, watch it back, no concentration, no challenge, goal!   Then his diabolical touch and indecision resulted in Martin hitting the post, but all’s well cos he produced a great assist for Pukki, before going back to type for the second-half,  Millwall and 85 mins v Swansea.    Not the answer, we carry him far too often!   

Personally I blame him for us wasting millions on Hugill. If he could hold up the ball and could head the ball we wouldn’t have needed a new target man. Not good enough, Webber out! 

• Haha 1

He frustrates me a bit, the last 2 games he's felt a bit anonymous to me, goal aside. The game before the last 2 he was great. I just see Pukki and Buendia working much harder for the team while he floats about.

He has a good shot on him, but he doesn't make very good decisions, I hope Todd gets back soon.

Only my personal opinion.

• Like 1

I love his awkwardness on the pitch, he just creates problems (for the opposition and us at times).

However, I also thought he had a poor second half up to that goal and was surprised he did not come off. I'm not sure we would have seen him with a fit Cantwell available.

He does need to produce more, and I'd certainly enjoy seeing his bizarre goal celebrations a lot more often.

On 08/11/2020 at 12:14, Petriix said:

He is a bit of an enigma. He often looks rubbish but then pulls out incredible through-balls and the occasional goal. He seems to have made an art out of the heavy touch where he seemingly miss-controls the ball but can just about collect the loose ball or gets a ricochet which goes his way. It only seems to work in the Championship, but at this level he's a real threat and he seems to bring the best out of Pukki too.

Agreed. Stieps isn't in the team for his physicality or holding up the ball. He is capable of causing mayhem in advanced positions and has the odd moment of brilliance. Being left footed in a central position he can provide different angles for through balls.

Actually I like his attitude. Didn't figure so much last season but just gets on with it and does his best for the team. No strops or resorting to social media, a good team player. 

• Like 2

Scores, creates and positively effects games. No showboating, always looks to turn and play forward and directly, and crucially is the best foil we have for Pukki. 

On 08/11/2020 at 09:35, hogesar said:

Your posts do amuse me sometimes. I'm sure if the proceeding posts we're criticising Steipermann for 'an awful 20 minute period' you'd have countered the negativity with a positive facet of his play. Just an observation and not intending to offend, but you do like to support the minority view, and counter the trend of a post. 

1 hour ago, Il Pirata said:

Your posts do amuse me sometimes. I'm sure if the proceeding posts we're criticising Steipermann for 'an awful 20 minute period' you'd have countered the negativity with a positive facet of his play. Just an observation and not intending to offend, but you do like to support the minority view, and counter the trend of a post. 

No, I just post what I see. It's not hard. You just don't have to have preconceived ideas about players or performances.

I thought he was fine first half but had, like I said, an awful period in that second half but then scored a great goal. No idea what your post is about, really.

On 08/11/2020 at 12:14, Indy said:

On his day a great player and certainly puts a shift in, but choice between him and Cantwell then Cantwell for me every time, he’s better on the ball, passes better and tracks back when needed.

He won't be replaced by anybody as long as he keeps making match winning passes or scoring match winning goals.  Farke is nothing if not loyal to players who do the business on the pitch.   He may not be brilliant for the whole 90 minutes, but he delivers and that is all that matters. 

24 minutes ago, hogesar said:

No, I just post what I see. It's not hard. You just don't have to have preconceived ideas about players or performances.

I thought he was fine first half but had, like I said, an awful period in that second half but then scored a great goal. No idea what your post is about, really.

Agreed. I thought he was shocking second half and was amazed her hadn't been subbed off. Farke obviously knows better than me!

So the same argument for starting Vrancic, scored crucial goals yet as Steipermann when played a full 90 doesn’t look good. Steipermann was not effective with the ball, couldn’t pass for toffees, nearly every time a ball played to him couldn’t control it and when he did run with ultimately got tackled without getting a pass away, far to slow to react to what’s around him. Pukki was isolated most game as the only ball he got was down the channels.

We all see things differently and took the goal well, other than that ineffective. Hopefully next game will be more able to control the ball and get a pass away. Certainly wouldn’t be my first choice in that position, a Cantwell back to form is our best choice there, brings far more players into the game and certainly has more about him than Steipermann imo, but good to have choices.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Just a general observation, that's all. Often I notice in posts you seem motivated by supporting opposite or minority views, or trying to buck the trend of a thread. You kind of did the same here, it's all positive regarding Steipermann, then you post negatively. Not that I disagree with what you posted, he was poor at times on Saturday.  

Anyway, a good forum needs different kinds of personalities and perspectives to form meaningful debate. Hope I haven't offended!

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

He won't be replaced by anybody as long as he keeps making match winning passes or scoring match winning goals.  Farke is nothing if not loyal to players who do the business on the pitch.   He may not be brilliant for the whole 90 minutes, but he delivers and that is all that matters. 

That's my argument when supporting the likes of Vrancic and Steipermann ahead of players such as Cantwell. At this level, they deliver goals and assists regularly, and can change games. 

• Like 1