Is it me or is Hugill not suiting our style of play and lacks quality? He might be good for the last 10 mins barrage of the opposition if we’re losing but what I’ve seen of him so far I’m not impressed.

Don’t get me wrong he certainly tries and gives 100% I just don’t think he has the quality of say Holt or Robert to work for us. I’d love to be proven wrong. We’ll see. 

• Like 1

Not been a rip roaring start for him but i have a strong feeling he is going to come up with some important goals this season. 

I would rather have him than not. 

After not starting the first few Farke has said “I’m  going to give you a run to give you a chance”. We have won those games but his performances have been far from convincing, I’m not sure he knows where to stand or run in the position he plays. I’m almost certain he will not start against Brentford. 

Blimey!  give the guy a chance, a couple of starts in a new system and you want him to be the new Holty. He`s now playing up top with a strike partner, lots of us wanted to see two strikers playing together so lets just give them some time to gel. Results wise we`ve not done too bad lately so once him and Pukki start hitting it off we should have something to get excited about.

• Like 3

Blimey.

Proven Championship striker, but doesn’t come out of the Academy. Players coming into the first team from outside of our Academy really need to be given time to settle in, before slating them.

It's the usual thing when the player on the bench is better than the player on the pitch. I think a lot of people on here were rating Hugil as the next big thing before we had seen him on the pitch. From what I have seen of him he is a reasonable championship big forward. Nothing fantastic but will certainly do a job for us in certain games. Pukki will be the man to fire us up the league if he can get his form back. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Blimey.

Proven Championship striker, but doesn’t come out of the Academy. Players coming into the first team from outside of our Academy really need to be given time to settle in, before slating them.

This^^^. What I like about him is his willingness to learn and it's sensible to think that it will take time for him to settle in to the way we play.  However, he has been noticeable defending set pieces and strong at tackling....and he did put that penalty away with some confidence. More to come from him, without a doubt.

Edited by lake district canary

10 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

This^^^. What I like about him is his willingness to learn and it's sensible to think that it will take time for him to settle in to the way we play.  However, he has been noticeable defending set pieces and strong at tackling....and he did put that penalty away with some confidence. More to come from him, without a doubt.

What would you say he has learnt?

Thing is in some idiots minds he was a nailed on starter ahead of the”Washed up Pukki” (Their words certainly not mine) a couple of weeks ago. 

He looked bang average yesterday but he has some form as his goals last season show. I’d say he needs to settle in grab a scrambled goal and he could be up and running. Who knows. Pukki for me will be our main striker and goal supply again this season but 10+ from Hugill is what I’d be hoping for.

1 hour ago, Number9 said:

What would you say he has learnt?

I didn't say he had learned anything, but if you look into his career, his willingness to learn has been admirable and one of the things that has got him from Consett, working through the leagues right up to the premier league with West Ham.  Not for him the young star who fades like so many young players do who think they have made it at 21 with a huge salary and lifestyle, only to let it go to their heads and not develop further and then fall by the wayside.  He has worked hard, listened and learned all the way along and I have every confidence he will do the same with us.

2 hours ago, Well b back said:

Blimey.

I think the word proven is a stretch. Of the 5 seasons he has played in the championship, he has scored 3, 12, 6, 8 & 13 goals (min appearances for those returns is 27, max appearance is 44). That is proven to be mediocre, at best.

I don't think - and never have - that he is good enough for a team that wants to be challenging at the top of the Championship. He is relatively physical compared to our team and therefore offers something a little different but I think Idah who is taller, faster would be a better option for that.

The guy has a proven record, gives 100%, and clearly has a great attitude. Very happy to have him in the squad. I expect him to prove his value as the gruelling schedule of games intensifies. Time will tell, but let's at least give him that time before we make a judgement. 

15 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

He has worked hard, listened and learned all the way along and I have every confidence he will do the same with us.

I'm going to assume that this is an projection of how you expected he progressed rather than knowledge that he listened and learned all of the way; am I wrong?

As a couple of others have (mildly, IMHO) said, blimey.

Last season I lost count of the “we don’t have a plan B up front!” posts. Now when we’ve only just got going it’s “I don’t like our plan B, can we have plan A back again”.

37 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I'm going to assume that this is an projection of how you expected he progressed rather than knowledge that he listened and learned all of the way; am I wrong?

You don't progress and develop if you don't listen and learn.

He clearly has the attitude we need so far. The right attitude is needed in Farke's squad. 

The goals will come. I'm certain. 

He's barely been given a chance yet. 

He rolled that penalty pretty much straight down the middle - we don't have anyone that can do that. 

Edited by Chelm Canary

He sums up our season so far.  All the ingredients look good, the blend is not quite right.  He is different, we needed a player like him last season, how much game time he gets this season will depend on Idah’s development.

Hopefully he will do a job this season. He's taking a bit of time to adjust to our style and definitely looks slightly lacking in quality but I think he will improve as he becomes more familiar with his role in our system.

Unfortunately he hasn't made the kind of impact that Jordan Rhodes did two years ago and, when you compare the two, the latter would be most people's choice.

You usually need three or four quality strikers to succeed at Championship level. I don't think it's a coincidence that we're missing such a high proportion of our chances.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Real Buh said:

Program “slag_off_Cantwell.xlsx” failed to execute

Initiate program “slag_off_Hugill.xlsx”

Excel documents aren't executables bud.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Ian said:

Excel documents aren't executables bud.

Beat me to it. Can I be in the cool IT club too?

• Haha 1

I think now we’ve got this trio of games out of the way against more physical teams hopefully Steipermann will be restored to his usual position and ditto Pukki and we’ll give a lot of teams a good rogering this season. 

Hugill can come off the bench in an emergency. 

Not in tune with his new teammates yet, but the more he plays the more intuitive it will become.  The team know where Pukki will want the pass, or play the ball - to early for Jordan yet.  

I think he will come good.

I think he would be more effective for us if Hernandez was playing or potentially Placheta. Cantwell and Buendia coming inside and playing through balls isn’t his game so he is predominately hoping for quality from Quintilla. time will tell and he may spark up a great relationship with this around him but we did look better yesterday when we had pace to stretch the with Idah late on