Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Liverpool have won the premier league title!

"In the 10 years that England were not fully represented in Europe, a total of 20 teams missed out on at least one European campaign. Ranked by the amount of seasons missed in Europe, these read:

6 – Liverpool.

4 – Arsenal, Everton, Tottenham Hotspur.

3 – Manchester United, Norwich City, Nottingham Forest.

2 – Leeds United, Sheffield Wednesday.

1 – Blackburn Rovers, Coventry City, Crystal Palace, Derby County, Luton Town, Manchester City, Oxford United, Queens Park Rangers, Southampton, West Ham United, Wimbledon."

Look at how many of those teams missed out on their only chance to play in Europe or who have not qualified again since. 

Respect to Liverpool for winning the title after only spending £9.36m on players this season. It shows the lack of ambition of our owners - we could have spent that amount.

What's that you say? "How about the £320m they spent in the previous two years?" Yes they've spent £1.47b since 1990, but they've sold well and had £936m back in for players, so that's almost break-even isn't it?

The trouble with big numbers is that "small" differences turn out to be big. So their net spend has been £534m over those 30 years.

So well done Liverpool, you've finally bought the title.

5 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Can't say they didn't deserve it this season but I will always hate that club and the way their fans have been on social media last night and this morning is another reminder why. Shame. 

Agree on all points.

This pandemic has really highlighted just how bad some people have become when it comes to self interest, stupidity and disrespectful.

Some of the stuff I've read on twitter has been appalling, and it was nearly always Liverpool or Leeds fans

7 hours ago, Well b back said:

Thought the EPL threatened serious action against any team whose fans gathered outside grounds and Liverpool gave an assurance that what is happening outside Anfield wouldn’t happen ? Why are the BBC supporting it yet questioning other gatherings ( rightly ). 

It's Liverpool their fans do whatever they want.

1 minute ago, TIL 1010 said:

It's Liverpool their fans do whatever they want.

They have just been defended by the club. The clubs defence is that the same would have happened whatever club it was ???? What evidence I wonder does he have for that ?

2 minutes ago, Well b back said:

They have just been defended by the club. The clubs defence is that the same would have happened whatever club it was ???? What evidence I wonder does he have for that ?

Well I for one am shocked it’s not Liverpool’s fault and other factors are at play. Usually they hold their hands up when they are in the wrong. Very unlike them as a club.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Well b back said:

We may well have to endure that other bunch of wonderful fans at Leeds doing the same.

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Of course I was around, but it wasn’t just Heysel, we had a very long history of being warned through the 80’s about our hooligan element, from most clubs in Europe and our national following. This wasn’t just a Liverpool fan issue it was rife throughout every club.

Jesus I remember being chased through the streets of Stoke for wearing my colours, being cornered by 200 odd Millwall fans. It’s symptomatic of all clubs back then.

Thats why I can’t look at it like you guys, the reality is you should think the same of all clubs fans who caused trouble in Europe that way then. It wasn’t just a British thing either Italy and Germany had its hooligan element too.

Each to their own I suppose.

Sorry Indy, this is a load of pony.

Nobody is trying to airbrush the history of football violence through the 70s and 80s; it happened. However, it wasn't ALL clubs causing trouble all over Europe because ALL clubs didn't make it and even if what you're claiming WAS TRUE, none of the other 91 football league clubs were involved in a night of sustained violence that left 39 dead and 14 of their fans convicted of manslaughter. 

When people are berating the club for being too poor to compete in the Premier League and not attractive enough for foreign investment they might want to think about the opportunities denied to us in the immediate years prior to the formation of the Premier League; the one time we had the opportunity to build a lasting profile and future legacy. Why was it denied? Liverpool and Thatcher. 

So, yes, I do hold a grudge and yes, I am still bitter. Not just for me but for the players that dipped out too. 

For the record, I'm not exclusively anti-Liverpool, I still hate Thatcher too. Her sweeping action that punished ALL football fans, clubs and players because of the actions of a few were a disgrace and her caging of fans and commitment to fencing, innocent or not, was a direct contributory factor to what happened in April 1989.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/worst-five-months-english-football-thatcher-fighting-and-fatalities-1985

So, while I can appreciate that Liverpool have been excellent this season and there can be no doubt about their eligibility to be labelled Champions, it still leaves a bitter taste. 

So **** Liverpool, **** Thatcher and **** the Premier League. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Nobody is trying to airbrush the history of football violence through the 70s and 80s; it happened. However, it wasn't ALL clubs causing trouble all over Europe because ALL clubs didn't make it and even if what you're claiming WAS TRUE, none of the other 91 football league clubs were involved in a night of sustained violence that left 39 dead and 14 of their fans convicted of manslaughter. 

When people are berating the club for being too poor to compete in the Premier League and not attractive enough for foreign investment they might want to think about the opportunities denied to us in the immediate years prior to the formation of the Premier League; the one time we had the opportunity to build a lasting profile and future legacy. Why was it denied? Liverpool and Thatcher. 

So, yes, I do hold a grudge and yes, I am still bitter. Not just for me but for the players that dipped out too. 

For the record, I'm not exclusively anti-Liverpool, I still hate Thatcher too. Her sweeping action that punished ALL football fans, clubs and players because of the actions of a few were a disgrace and her caging of fans and commitment to fencing, innocent or not, was a direct contributory factor to what happened in April 1989.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/worst-five-months-english-football-thatcher-fighting-and-fatalities-1985

So, while I can appreciate that Liverpool have been excellent this season and there can be no doubt about their eligibility to be labelled Champions, it still leaves a bitter taste. 

Run out of reactions today, but BOOM. Spot on.

15 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

A huge anti climax of a season that people will only remember because of COVID-19. No-one else cares.

They’ve already won the Premiership title with more games left than ever before-they are on course to win it by the biggest margin ever and need 15 points from 7 games to break the points record in a season.

It will be remembered for these too.

30 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

They’ve already won the Premiership title with more games left than ever before-they are on course to win it by the biggest margin ever and need 15 points from 7 games to break the points record in a season.

That can all be added to the asterisk detail

9 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Not totally what I said, those in Europe, there’s was a number of club sides all warned a a Spurs who’s fans put 30 odd fans in hospital on one of their games away in a Europe got a hefty fine if I remember correctly. We were warned what would happen and the tragic Heysel night was the culmination of 20 years of hooligans going abroad in the name of football just to cause a riot and have a fight with the locals.

But we all hang on things differently, I’m not bothered about 30 years ago, if history effected me I’d still hate the Germans......

Edited by Indy

11 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

I'm not sure if I've ever agreed more with a comment or a post! Bravo sir and well done! 👍👌👏🎯🏆🥇🌟💥

• Thanks 1

After another night of ‘ celebration ‘ in Liverpool this has really now gone to far. These fans are risking a second wave to not only Merseyside but the whole country. 
The EPL promised serious action against any club whose fans came onto the streets or congregated around grounds - Can’t say I have heard a peep from them yet.

Liverpool themselves, politicians and the EPL promised us Liverpool fans would not do this and if they did there would be swift action. This I understood was a condition of the EPL resuming. Liverpool claim any other clubs fans would have done the same, I would refer them to other ‘ similar countries ‘.

In London we see the Police ( quite rightly ) breaking up mass gatherings with riot gear ect, in Liverpool all we get is it’s good humoured.

One last moan we are not allowed to gather in venues ( quite rightly ) however Liverpool players and staff were allowed to book a venue and act like we were in normal times. Yet again one rule for professional footballers another everyone else.

These are the very reasons this farce should never have taken place, our whole country has been put at risk of a second phase due to a combination of football and these idiots who just don’t get it, yet seemed to get it when they wanted people to blame after the deaths of People that attended the Liverpool Athletico game. Threaten to deduct them 30 points that will send them home ???

• Like 2

On 25/06/2020 at 22:48, ......and Smith must score. said:

I feel more sorry for our fans who missed out on three European campaigns because of their moronic supporters behaviour at the Heysel Stadium.

i also feel more sorry for fans of Oxford Utd,  Wimbledon, Coventry City and others who all missed out on Europe too.

F*ck ‘em......

I agree with you 100 %, caused more deaths in football than any other club. Liverpool the club and fans that invented virtue signalling. 

18 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Not my club. I won't remember it.

Credit to Liverpool for winning, but it has been one of the most low quality sterile Premier League seasons for years. I'm not sure even Liverpool have played that well. Liverpool fans I work with even say they've played better in seasons when they haven't won it.

They deserve it as will Leeds if they get promoted. Odious fans of both clubs though.

I see a second night of ' celebrations ' ended up with the Fire Service being called out to the Liver Building which had a fire caused by flares and fireworks plus the Mayor of Liverpool talking of it being a result of alcohol fuelled fans.

I am shocked, really shocked this has happened.

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

I see a second night of ' celebrations ' ended up with the Fire Service being called out to the Liver Building which had a fire caused by flares and fireworks plus the Mayor of Liverpool talking of it being a result of alcohol fuelled fans.

Yes it now appears the pubs around Anfield opened !!!.

If the government and the league had any balls they would lock Merseyside down for 2 weeks and Liverpool FC as promised would suffer severe consequences Including being excluded from the league. 
If we are winning 3-0 tonight it will mean our 1st FA cup SF for years. If we all congregate outside I bet there would be serious consequences for our club.

The BBC are even encouraging what’s happening at Anfield.

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

15 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Yes it now appears the pubs around Anfield opened !!!.

If the government and the league had any balls they would lock Merseyside down for 2 weeks and Liverpool FC as promised would suffer severe consequences Including being excluded from the league. 
If we are winning 3-0 tonight it will mean our 1st FA cup SF for years. If we all congregate outside I bet there would be serious consequences for our club.

The BBC are even encouraging what’s happening at Anfield.

There's a video on the BBC site showing the area the morning after the night before. Pretty shocking mess. ( sorry, cant do links )

Someone has posted a comment underneath, " Offended by everything, ashamed of nothing "

Sums them up perfectly....

The real surprise is that some are surprised at what has happened in Liverpool.....and the lack of action taken to prevent/stop it. A populist 'turning  a blind eye' to what is , in effect a giant no rules knees up. I never expected any real action by the Govt./PL. They wrould hate to be seen as killjoys after Liverpool's ' tremendous achievement'.  Harking back to comments on the Idah thread, decency and success rarely go hand in hand.  

3 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

There's a video on the BBC site showing the area the morning after the night before. Pretty shocking mess. ( sorry, cant do links )

Someone has posted a comment underneath, " Offended by everything, ashamed of nothing "

Sums them up perfectly....

Hopefully this will work. So much for civic pride, they really are a feral bunch of scumbags.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Hopefully this will work. So much for civic pride, they really are a feral bunch of scumbags.

Bit harsh on Scumbags Wolfo!!!!👍😇😉

Klopp should hold a team meeting and tell the players that they are paying for the clear up. It'd only be a few grand each knocked off their bonus for winning the title. Or better still have the money come out of their transfer budget.....a small inconvenience I know but it would at least show the cretins that caused this mess that their actions have a direct impact on the Club.  

This shoiteshow has made me wish that Man u be succesful again ......soon.( but obv. Not this evening) ..... Not something I ever thought i'd say.

On 25/06/2020 at 22:48, ......and Smith must score. said:

I feel more sorry for our fans who missed out on three European campaigns because of their moronic supporters behaviour at the Heysel Stadium.

i also feel more sorry for fans of Oxford Utd,  Wimbledon, Coventry City and others who all missed out on Europe too.

F*ck ‘em......

Totally agree.

Congratulations on not only wining the PL but forever being known as the side that spoilt it for the rest of us regarding Europe (at a time when it could have sign posted our direction for years. And yes whilst other teams (incl ours) had a level of hooligan issue, it will be them alone that are remembered for ruining it for the rest, through their self entitled, bo11ox to everyone else type attitude. 

Even in recent seasons in the PL we have had the odd bus load of 'supporters' from there charge into a local shop and go on a mass thieving spree.

However, as with historic actions, much like the unlawful large gathering in the city recently, they will not be punished for it. I'm sure given time someone can come up with an explanation as to why it was the fault of others!

They deserved the title but as you can guess my feelings for them as a supporter group is not great (aside from the heartfelt sympathy I have towards the victims and families of Hillsborough disaster)

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

Klopp should hold a team meeting and tell the players that they are paying for the clear up. It'd only be a few grand each knocked off their bonus for winning the title. Or better still have the money come out of their transfer budget.....a small inconvenience I know but it would at least show the cretins that caused this mess that their actions have a direct impact on the Club.  

This shoiteshow has made me wish that Man u be succesful again ......soon.( but obv. Not this evening) ..... Not something I ever thought i'd say.

Ah now, just hang on a minute Corky, I'm not having that. That's an outrageous statement. I'm shocked & appalled. For that alone, you should have to contribute financially towards cleaning up the pharmaceutical-related pollution in & around the Cork Estuary. I'm still shaking from reading it. 

3 hours ago, paddycanary said:

Ah now, just hang on a minute Corky, I'm not having that. That's an outrageous statement. I'm shocked & appalled. For that alone, you should have to contribute financially towards cleaning up the pharmaceutical-related pollution in & around the Cork Estuary. I'm still shaking from reading it. 

Err   yep , sorry for  that, I was thinking of something that would pi$$ of the  scousers.  Is not your enemies  enemy  , your ally? Prob not in this case  , apologies . Theres great angling in Cork harbour but you wouldn't want to eat them. . .so no point in it for me, dont agree with fish torture. 

• Like 1

At the very least they shouldn't have a victory parade as they've proved again they can't behave. The first night ill excuse. The emotion was running high and yeah they're right. Any club would've been the same. 

Its the second night tho which was out of order. They actively made the decision to go out again, drink, behave like fools and launch fireworks at stuff. Just because they're now as good as liecester and Blackburn. 

****s