Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

You could try reading about their reactions to see how they have all failed with their different approaches Barbe . From pretending it isn't serious to the herd immunity. All keeping one eye on the poll ratings rather than both eyes on the crisis. 

10 minutes ago, Herman said:

You could try reading about their reactions to see how they have all failed with their different approaches Barbe . From pretending it isn't serious to the herd immunity. All keeping one eye on the poll ratings rather than both eyes on the crisis. 

Again Herman, in the big scale of things the total number of deaths globally is only the equivalent to three days average deaths per year. Every day between 150,000 to 180,000 people die globally, we have had 440,000 Covid deaths in 6 months.

I’m not saying those deaths aren’t serious but I am saying this virus and the death rate thanks to the response by all countries has kept it down to levels where it really hasn’t hit as some scaremongering media driven numbers said it would be.

Given the population of the globe and the average age of our older population, it’s not been as serious as it could have been. Then ask yourself how many of these older people with other serious illnesses who succumbed would have not survived to June?

It’s all very open to debate, but the reality is that it’s a very small section of the population at severe risk and yes you can spin the numbers to suit your blame argument, me I like to look at the fact since beginning of March 14.5 million people have passed away globally, only 440,000 of them are Covid related and 85% are over the age of 70.

Just saying.......

Just replying.....

By that logic then no death is really that important - given the relative size (one) c to the UK population/daily death rate.

In fact there is within your thought a case for euthanasia ...... 'they were going to die soon anyway'

Your words of it is serious and but not that serious sounds very dismissive.

More so when you recognise that the UK prides itself on having a world beating health service. Whereas the only record beaten in this case is the death rate per million.

I suspect the family and friends of those 60,000 extra deaths will also see it different

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Just replying.....

By that logic then no death is really that important - given the relative size (one) c to the UK population/daily death rate.

In fact there is within your thought a case for euthanasia ...... 'they were going to die soon anyway'

Your words of it is serious and but not that serious sounds very dismissive.

More so when you recognise that the UK prides itself on having a world beating health service. Whereas the only record beaten in this case is the death rate per million.

I suspect the family and friends of those 60,000 extra deaths will also see it different

The reality is no death should be too serious as it is inevitable. They’re all sad to us the families left behind, but gauge of how you measure deaths, I’m saying globally and in the UK, covid hasn’t hit everyone, it’s had a massive impact on the frail elderly mostly and as sad as it is they are in age always more vulnerable to flu or other illnesses.

Theres no doubt we all view and react to death of loved one differently and this also taints your views on the severity, l lost my best mate and fellow city supporter to a ruptured aorta and my young sister to liver failure, my wife’s gone through stage 2 breast cancer and all very sad times but that’s life. I’m possibly more hardened to death than others doesn’t make my view dismissive but realistic.

The other 14 million deaths aren’t even being considered by some who just focus on Covid, so are they not sad too?

Edited by Indy

I agree with your view Indy. I, too, do not get emotive over death. When my parents died I was sad but shed no tears. My mother died at 77 due to Alzheimer's which was a blessed relief as she was a shell of the woman she actually was and my father died at 92 due to double pneumonia brought on by emphysema. Both had long lives so sad but inevitable. When grieving people are interviewed on TV I find it cringeworthy as, whilst it is a tragedy for them, it is irrelevant to those that have no connection to their families. Death is a certainty and I view it that way. Many have died during this pandemic from covid-19 and that was not only inevitable but also, as you say, minimal in terms of normal daily global death rates.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

I agree with your view Indy. I, too, do not get emotive over death. When my parents died I was sad but shed no tears. My mother died at 77 due to Alzheimer's which was a blessed relief as she was a shell of the woman she actually was and my father died at 92 due to double pneumonia brought on by emphysema. Both had long lives so sad but inevitable. When grieving people are interviewed on TV I find it cringeworthy as, whilst it is a tragedy for them, it is irrelevant to those that have no connection to their families. Death is a certainty and I view it that way. Many have died during this pandemic from covid-19 and that was not only inevitable but also, as you say, minimal in terms of normal daily global death rates.

I cry at funerals but that's it, and i think that's because everybody else crying is contagious and becomes a bit overwhelming. Nice to have a bit of a cry though, helps flush out a bit of underlying grief that you perhaps didn't really realise you had. 

But a lot of those grieving people on the TV... I bet a lot of them would value the chance to have a second take because people look ugly when crying but the producers want the awkward crys and shaky voices on the box for maximum impact. They think it's TV gold. 

People are strange though, still remember that weird Diana collective grief thing. Also, funny how 20 percent of your Facebook friends suddenly claim to be a huge fan of some celebrity who dies when they drifted into obscurity 15 years ago isn't it.  

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

On 12/06/2020 at 12:27, keelansgrandad said:

The most deprived parts of England and Wales have been hit twice as hard by coronavirus as wealthier areas, the Office for National Statistics said.

Shock news that will have Number 10 wondering how. Probably wondering how it isn't ten times.

The biggest scandal throughout all of this is how the biggest care home companies were completely unprepared for this despite paying execs a lot of money and having a healthy cash surplus, how the care industry has locums and temps going in and out of various care homes spreading the virus, and how the government hasn't intervened because they like the idea of killing off the future bed blockers and see wills and probate as a decent economic stimulus. 

It's a huge scandal. I'd vote Labour if they suggesting care providers had to prepare for virus outbreaks with PPE stockpiles and had to pay in into a central fund to access a new national stockpile. It also shines a light on the sectors employment practices, your grandma could have her nappy changed by somebody who was in a different care home with a coronavirus outbreak the day before.

The adult care system needs a complete overhaul in this country. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Indy said:

The reality is no death should be too serious as it is inevitable. They’re all sad to us the families left behind, but gauge of how you measure deaths, I’m saying globally and in the UK, covid hasn’t hit everyone, it’s had a massive impact on the frail elderly mostly and as sad as it is they are in age always more vulnerable to flu or other illnesses.

Theres no doubt we all view and react to death of loved one differently and this also taints your views on the severity, l lost my best mate and fellow city supporter to a ruptured aorta and my young sister to liver failure, my wife’s gone through stage 2 breast cancer and all very sad times but that’s life. I’m possibly more hardened to death than others doesn’t make my view dismissive but realistic.

The other 14 million deaths aren’t even being considered by some who just focus on Covid, so are they not sad too?

Indy, nothing inevitable about the death toll in the UK of hundreds of doctors, nurses and care workers taken long before their time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Indy, nothing inevitable about the death toll in the UK of hundreds of doctors, nurses and care workers taken long before their time.

Purple depends on how you view things......maybe it was just their time! My sister was 33 and her liver failed rather quickly! She wasn’t a heavy drinker nor a junky but sadly passed, was she taken before her time? Or the other 14 million who have died in accidents, murders, old age etc......we can all argue but life is real, people all die, just somde people buy into media and value some deaths more than others. I am fully thankful to everyone who works in the nhs care sector, fire department, police, all the services, unlike others it doesn’t matter how you die, you will die one day and nothing will stop that.

So yes you might be more sensitive than me as it appears but it doesn’t make me wrong to think my way. None of us control death, we will never know which will be our last morning......but one day it will be, I don’t think it can be categorised, as to someone, someone is taken long before their time everyday.

Edited by Indy

41 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

The biggest scandal throughout all of this is how the biggest care home companies were completely unprepared for this despite paying execs a lot of money and having a healthy cash surplus, how the care industry has locums and temps going in and out of various care homes spreading the virus, and how the government hasn't intervened because they like the idea of killing off the future bed blockers and see wills and probate as a decent economic stimulus. 

It's a huge scandal. I'd vote Labour if they suggesting care providers had to prepare for virus outbreaks with PPE stockpiles and had to pay in into a central fund to access a new national stockpile. It also shines a light on the sectors employment practices, your grandma could have her nappy changed by somebody who was in a different care home with a coronavirus outbreak the day before.

The adult care system needs a complete overhaul in this country. 

It certainly does.

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

You Sir are an emotional stone.

(Like me actually.)

I blame  your schooling.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I blame  your schooling.

Probably  .... but not Doker, more Granny-Hill.

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

I don't think that is quite what he was getting at ..... but it is a valid point.

If we do get that dreaded second wave then people working in those professions must be kept safe as a massive priority.

This dopey government should at least be capable of working that out that.

Biked into the City with Mrs R this morning, very quiet, mask wearing at no more than 10 percent I reckon. Wore mine to go in a couple of shops but it doesn't  appear to be compulsory. Lots of arrows and one way systems and was told in Ottakers book shop that if you browse a book without buying, it has to be quarentined. Mrs R bought me a some reading matter for my birthday.👍

Biked into the City with Mrs R this morning, very quiet, mask wearing at no more than 10 percent I reckon. Wore mine to go in a couple of shops but it doesn't  appear to be compulsory. Lots of arrows and one way systems and was told in Ottakers book shop that if you browse a book without buying, it has to be quarentined. Mrs R bought me a some reading matter for my birthday.

Happy Birthday (when ever it is). Did they have the new Canaries book? I've ordered it online. Hope its here for the weekend.

Mrs KG is selling her bike. Nice Pendleton ridden twice. Apparently you cannot get a new bike for love nor money. So if you leave your bikes, make sure they are chained up somewhere.

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Purple depends on how you view things......maybe it was just their time! My sister was 33 and her liver failed rather quickly! She wasn’t a heavy drinker nor a junky but sadly passed, was she taken before her time? Or the other 14 million who have died in accidents, murders, old age etc......we can all argue but life is real, people all die, just somde people buy into media and value some deaths more than others. I am fully thankful to everyone who works in the nhs care sector, fire department, police, all the services, unlike others it doesn’t matter how you die, you will die one day and nothing will stop that.

So yes you might be more sensitive than me as it appears but it doesn’t make me wrong to think my way. None of us control death, we will never know which will be our last morning......but one day it will be, I don’t think it can be categorised, as to someone, someone is taken long before their time everyday.

Indy, I doubt I am more sensitive than you on this subject. I have a similarly realistic attitude to death and dislike the trend towards people latching on to tragedy with which they have no connection. And I think the country lost its collective marbles over the death of Diana.

And, yes, people die unexpectedly young, even if they have looked after their health, and there are jobs and professions that carry an element of risk, to a greater or lesser extent.

And looking after ill people carries a certain amount of risk, especially with a virulent pandemic. But in that case - in one of the richest countries on the planet - the doctors, nurses and carers have a right to expect they will have the best equipment, protective clothing etc to give them the best chance of surviving. Not least because the fewer that die means there are more to carry on trying to save the lives of patients.

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Biked into the City with Mrs R this morning, very quiet, mask wearing at no more than 10 percent I reckon. Wore mine to go in a couple of shops but it doesn't  appear to be compulsory. Lots of arrows and one way systems and was told in Ottakers book shop that if you browse a book without buying, it has to be quarentined. Mrs R bought me a some reading matter for my birthday.👍

Used one of those mask things when I went into the bank and demanded they hand over a lot on money

I didn't get much, as there is not much money in my account... in fact absolutely none

Wrong bank it turned out - perhaps I won't pull the mask up over my eyes next time

otherwise happy birthday old chap - enjoy your book(s)

I started reading the dictionary in bed last night

..... I got up to p

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Happy Birthday (when ever it is). 

17th June 1902.

No reading 'til tomorrow Rickyyyyyyy🙃

14 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Indy, I doubt I am more sensitive than you on this subject. I have a similarly realistic attitude to death and dislike the trend towards people latching on to tragedy with which they have no connection. And I think the country lost its collective marbles over the death of Diana.

And, yes, people die unexpectedly young, even if they have looked after their health, and there are jobs and professions that carry an element of risk, to a greater or lesser extent.

And looking after ill people carries a certain amount of risk, especially with a virulent pandemic. But in that case - in one of the richest countries on the planet - the doctors, nurses and carers have a right to expect they will have the best equipment, protective clothing etc to give them the best chance of surviving. Not least because the fewer that die means there are more to carry on trying to save the lives of patients.

Undoubtedly agree wholeheartedly with you’re view, I definitely feel more could have been done regarding PPE keeping our nhs staff safer, trouble is without actually being involved I have no idea why we didn’t have enough PPE to cover this, is it that normal levels were considered adequate, we got caught out as the entire globe suddenly wanted PPE at the same time? Could it be so many experts in the virus field had different views on how to tackle this virus and we learned in the first few months which are the best measures? I don’t know Purple, I have the same info as everyone else who wasn’t directly involved and as such no criticism to aim as without the facts how can anyone criticise? 
In time after a vaccine is introduced and things settle we can use the correct channels to investigate if there is blame to apportion and what that should be, but for now I’m just biding my time and thoughts.

As for the numbers the reality is this isn’t as vicious a virus as could have been and we should be thankful to how most have reacted, to drive the numbers down.

31 minutes ago, Bill said:

Used one of those mask things when I went into the bank and demanded they hand over a lot on money

I didn't get much, as there is not much money in my account... in fact absolutely none

Wrong bank it turned out - perhaps I won't pull the mask up over my eyes next time

otherwise happy birthday old chap - enjoy your book(s)

I started reading the dictionary in bed last night

..... I got up to p

How do Daft Punk use a Bank?

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

17th June 1902.

No reading 'til tomorrow Rickyyyyyyy🙃

😁🎂

Looks like the end is in sight here in the east, zero deaths yesterday.

Some areas may have been hit hard but certainly the in Norwich Local Authority area we have got off quite lightly.

Pubs and resturants should be opening next month but social distancing will obviously remain and footy crowds may yet be some way off.

We are ready if you want to light all the candles again this year

Historic former Norwich fire station is sold | Norwich Evening News

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

Looks like the end is in sight here in the east, zero deaths yesterday.

Some areas may have been hit hard but certainly the in Norwich Local Authority area we have got off quite lightly.

Pubs and resturants should be opening next month but social distancing will obviously remain and footy crowds may yet be some way off.

When thinking the end may  be in sight when dealing with this virus i think caution is the right word Ricardo. Maybe it is a lot less lethal in our neck of the woods right now, can only hope it stays that way. But China has a sudden new batch of positives in Beijing....and today India recorded 1,526 deaths in a single day...so the virus is still out there,  waiting on human failure to not take notice.

9 hours ago, ricardo said:

“was told in Ottakers book shop that if you browse a book without buying, it has to be quarentined”

Do they have to book a test?

Many happy returns 🍺

• Thanks 1