Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

Numbers will naturally fluctuate on a daily basis. You need to look at trends over a longer period. 

1 minute ago, T said:

Numbers will naturally fluctuate on a daily basis. You need to look at trends over a longer period. 

I was expecting UK to be over 100 today. 

Yes bound to be a bit of noise in the figures.

Small countries like Belgium  and  Holland  have scary numbers.

6 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Figures were a bit slow coming out today, maybe there has been some problem.

I do wonder at the +ve rates quoted - I know someone who had a test and didn’t hear back for 16 days (yes, 16) and it was positive....fortunately she had isolated but at what point does that get added?  If on the 16th day it suggests that data is very much out of date (as well as bring grossly understated).

27 minutes ago, T said:

Yes,   but the  numbers of deaths has been roughly 50 for a while now. Peaked yesterday but dropped again today so about the same on average.

Our grim statistics are not quite following Italy thank god.

2 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

Yes,   but the  numbers of deaths has been roughly 50 for a while now. Peaked yesterday but dropped again today so about the same on average.

Our grim statistics are not quite following Italy thank god.

The question therefore is why?

Put this on a separate thread , but probably should’ve put it on here .

This is really good thing to do to help the scientists gather Coronavirus data which is so important . So download the App and do it .

https://covid.joinzoe.com/

Apologies if you’ve already seen this elsewhere.

Edited by Pockthorpe
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ricardo said:

The question therefore is why?

Fascinating stuff isn’t it? Could there be a link with Peroni?

To @JF and other self employed. Apparently Sunak will be announcing news for people in your situation tomorrow. Hopefully it will happen and relieve some of your worries. No promises or guarantees though as everything is all rather fluid.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Fascinating stuff isn’t it? Could there be a link with Peroni?

My guess is cultural.

Government tells Germans to do it, they do it.

Government tells Italians to do it, they say they'll do it. Soon. Domani.

50 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Odd thing for a far right group to tweet

There's a lot of bots on twitter with an aim of divide and rule, mischief making and a deliberate aim of creating confusion and lack of trust.

Mike Hind's The Disinformation Age website and podcasts are a good guide on the misuse of twitter and other social media scams.

Just when you start to hope for better news there are more shocks. Not sure if anyone watched Zahawi on Newsnight?

Pressed on the NHS claim they only have 8175 ventilators (but Hancock had stated they had 12000...the NHS hasn't) all he could say is that plans were being ramped up. Manufacturers Dyson and others hope to deliver 15000 in April (Zahawi couldn't say when, which is all NHS managers want to know). The UK will need 25000+ is the expectation (towards 30000). They need them now and certainly in the next 7 days. It appears they won't get them.

On testing, after 9 days they tested 6400 today and still NHS staff are not being tested. Staff are crying out for support.

These two issues are going to become the key tests in the fight in tackling this disease. And these two issues will define this government.

3 hours ago, sonyc said:

Just when you start to hope for better news there are more shocks. Not sure if anyone watched Zahawi on Newsnight?

Pressed on the NHS claim they only have 8175 ventilators (but Hancock had stated they had 12000...the NHS hasn't) all he could say is that plans were being ramped up. Manufacturers Dyson and others hope to deliver 15000 in April (Zahawi couldn't say when, which is all NHS managers want to know). The UK will need 25000+ is the expectation (towards 30000). They need them now and certainly in the next 7 days. It appears they won't get them.

On testing, after 9 days they tested 6400 today and still NHS staff are not being tested. Staff are crying out for support.

These two issues are going to become the key tests in the fight in tackling this disease. And these two issues will define this government.

Hancock said they had 12,000?...when did he say that?...i saw him state maybe some time last week that the NHS had 5000.

So many ways to read statistics  with such a major event as Coronavirus, but here is another statistic. If you take total deaths per each 1 million of population  for European nations then UK is currently 10th worst at 7 deaths per  million.

....reporting what was on Newsnight Essjayess. But it's on lots of news outlets...Reuters etc. He announced it 3 days ago.

4 minutes ago, sonyc said:

....reporting what was on Newsnight Essjayess. But it's on lots of news outlets...Reuters etc. He announced it 3 days ago.

It was apparently in a TV interview that he used this figure of 12000. It was either a mistake, he was badly briefed or he told a deliberate lie. I suspect it was a mistake but there will be many others who will accuse him of a more sinister motive.

The problem with the report last night, and others I have seen is that you have people from within the industry being interviewed and you can never be sure what their motivation is, is it sour grapes because maybe they haven’t been awarded the massive order they wanted?. I suspect awarding a massive contract to Dyson for a design that has not even been approved yet has not gone done well with existing respirator manufacturers within the U.K. I can understand that. I imagine it’s a question of scale, again some will find more sinister reasons for Dyson getting the order.

6 minutes ago, Van wink said:

I can understand that. I imagine it’s a question of scale, again some will find more sinister reasons for Dyson getting the order.

So long as it doesn't suck your lungs out, nobody will care.

I’ve just read an article from a few days ago saying blood donations have dropped by fifteen percent. Are we still allowed to go out to give blood? Anyone know if there are places still open to take it? 

Edited by Aggy

Lots of reasons why Italy is more vulnerable that are cultural, multi-generational families living together in close quarters, more physically affectionate greetings etc.

Could be some of the reasons we’re behind their curve.

14 minutes ago, Van wink said:

It was apparently in a TV interview that he used this figure of 12000. It was either a mistake, he was badly briefed or he told a deliberate lie. I suspect it was a mistake but there will be many others who will accuse him of a more sinister motive.

The problem with the report last night, and others I have seen is that you have people from within the industry being interviewed and you can never be sure what their motivation is, is it sour grapes because maybe they haven’t been awarded the massive order they wanted?. I suspect awarding a massive contract to Dyson for a design that has not even been approved yet has not gone done well with existing respirator manufacturers within the U.K. I can understand that. I imagine it’s a question of scale, again some will find more sinister reasons for Dyson getting the order.

Quite right. But the politics of this are worthy of comment and certainly requires questioning. It's another company leading I believe (TTP) too. Sources say Dyson. It's the timing of when these are available that is crucial VW. Experts suggest a peak in a week / 2 weeks on the NHS.

12 minutes ago, ricardo said:

If Dyson make them they'll pack up a month after the guarantee expires 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ron obvious said:

My guess is cultural.

Government tells Germans to do it, they do it.

Government tells Italians to do it, they say they'll do it. Soon. Domani.

I have a friend who is German. She has been amazed by the chaos here compared to what her family describes in Dusseldorf. I think we have to accept that they are different to us. Sometimes that is a good thing and sometimes it isn't 

8 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Quite right. But the politics of this are worthy of comment and certainly requires questioning. It's another company leading I believe (TTP) too. Sources say Dyson. It's the timing of when these are available that is crucial VW. Experts suggest a peak in a week / 2 weeks on the NHS.

Yep, the Dyson design will need to be approved and do we really want to risk a machine that’s not tried and tested at such a crucial time. 

19 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Hopefully not the “animal” motor

47 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I have a friend who is German. She has been amazed by the chaos here compared to what her family describes in Dusseldorf. I think we have to accept that they are different to us. Sometimes that is a good thing and sometimes it isn't 

That is exactly my view as well as someone who works internationally   It is not necessarily generally good or bad just different but in the current situation the German  general greater value on what they call solidarity and healthcare rather than the more individualistic values of the UK and even more so in the US are preferable. It is interesting what impact if any this will have longer term on society   

6 minutes ago, T said:

That is exactly my view as well as someone who works internationally   It is not necessarily generally good or bad just different but in the current situation the German  general greater value on what they call solidarity and healthcare rather than the more individualistic values of the UK and even more so in the US are preferable. It is interesting what impact if any this will have longer term on society   

This country changed beyond recognition in the 1980's and has never changed back. 

1 hour ago, Aggy said:

I’ve just read an article from a few days ago saying blood donations have dropped by fifteen percent. Are we still allowed to go out to give blood? Anyone know if there are places still open to take it? 

I think the Norfolk 'Vampire, Ghoul, Goth, Werewolf and Zombie Appreciation Society' would be quite interested.....?

• Like 1