Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

6 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

Lads, 

Its ok, let's go back to work and carry on as we were.  Indy has pointed out that his pension pot is looking a bit low and that this is all perfectly normal.

What planet you on? Never mentioned anything other than in today’s death rates no one else is thinking of all the other poor families who’s loved ones have passed!

2 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Don’t get that, Indy, with respect. As the vast majority of those 150,000 will have passed away due to old age and natural causes, that’s probably why people aren’t worried about those who have naturally completed their cycle, as in birth, it’s a completely normal day to day event, no? (god rest their souls)

Exactly, so those who died today from cancer or other sad cases don’t even get thought about as we focus on this virus. Just saying we’re so focused on one thing. 

Isn’t a virus natural cause as much as cancer?

Edited by Indy

Nice thing just happened on our street at 8pm. Quite a few people came out to their doorsteps and there was a good 2 minute applause for the NHS workers. Must say brought a lump to my throat. Some folk I hardly ever see came to their doors.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Indy said:

Arguably more so if you consider those cancers which are caused due to lifestyle (smoking/lung cancer etc.)

2 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Nice thing just happened on our street at 8pm. Quite a few people came out to their doorsteps and there was a good 2 minute applause for the NHS workers. Must say brought a lump to my throat. Some folk I hardly ever see came to their doors.

Fantastic response shouldn’t just be for this though having been through chemo with a loved one, they are fantastic every day of the year and all do a wonderful job. 💚💛

Edited by Indy

2 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Yes, I hadn’t realised what was going on but heard a large cheer and clapping from outside so poked my head out too. Plenty of people on our street too . Good stuff.

Edited by Aggy

4 minutes ago, Indy said:

Fantastic response shouldn’t just be for this though having been through chemo with a loved one, they are fantastic every day of the year and all do a wonderful job. 💚💛

Mine too Indy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Yes, I hadn’t realised what was going on but heard a large cheer and clapping from outside so poked my head out too. Plenty of people on our street too . Good stuff.

Run out of reactions Aggy 👏 ...imagine this will cheer every NHS staff member (there's two, one each side in my street I know about)

I live in a fairly small village and was shocked to hear people screaming and then what I worked out was applause! 

2 hours ago, Indy said:

6 month lockdown will never happen as a Trump has already indicated, US  will need to move to start the economy or face a catastrophic future. He’s already looking at June to be up a running, this is why I think Trump will super fast track a vaccine in the us. We shall see.

Indy...honestly...you really think Trump has the power over Coronavirus?...no way he will get the USA up and running by June...just take a look at New York state alone. Is trump also a Scientist?..how can he fast track a vaccine?...every leading laboratory in the world are going as fast as they can...make no mistake...this virus is not easy to get a vaccine against it....then theres testing...then production...by June?....June 2021 at the very earliest.

2 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

Indy...honestly...you really think Trump has the power over Coronavirus?...no way he will get the USA up and running by June...just take a look at New York state alone. Is trump also a Scientist?..how can he fast track a vaccine?...every leading laboratory in the world are going as fast as they can...make no mistake...this virus is not easy to get a vaccine against it....then theres testing...then production...by June?....June 2021 at the very earliest.

I don’t think the suggestion is that Trump will cure corona by June 2020. The reference is presumably to Trump’s comments over the weekend that “the cure can’t be worse than the problem”. 

Are you suggesting we’ll be in lockdown until June 2021?

The post was about Trump getting America up and running by June, i never suggested about us or lockdown. Trump has blown like a wind that goes in every direction concerning Coronavirus..all this great and almighty United States bravado..every  nation on Earth will take a massive hit from this...The USA in particular  got away, economically, very well in WW2, they never experienced the hardships that Europe and Britain faced, but this Virus is universal...and yes...start of June is only 8 or 9 weeks away...you really think Trump can get even America up and running in so short a time frame?

5 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

The post was about Trump getting America up and running by June, i never suggested about us or lockdown. Trump has blown like a wind that goes in every direction concerning Coronavirus..all this great and almighty United States bravado..every  nation on Earth will take a massive hit from this...The USA in particular  got away, economically, very well in WW2, they never experienced the hardships that Europe and Britain faced, but this Virus is universal...and yes...start of June is only 8 or 9 weeks away...you really think Trump can get even America up and running in so short a time frame?

So you don’t think we will be in lockdown until June 2021? Why not?

What is “up and running”? If it’s getting back to the point we were economically a few weeks/months ago, then no. If it’s reopening public spaces, allowing people back into the office to let them start working again, getting things open and allowing people to get jobs in restaurants/hospitality etc etc again and start earning some sort of a wage, then yes - that would take hardly any time at all. 

Edited by Aggy

2 hours ago, Indy said:

Depends, if you listen to some people this particular virus is not a ‘natural cause’. Now I’m not saying this has been engineered, but at the same time, as I don’t know for sure, and neither do any of us on here for that matter, then personally I can’t dismiss that theory. 

Well the survey says that Americans are more worried about the economic impact than the health impact and support Trump on this so I think he will try and open things up as far as he can as soon as he can regardless of the health impacts. At least is that is what he keeps saying. 

Its now official..USA has overtaken both Italy and China as having the most confirmed cases. From a sarcastic point of view they always like being at no. 1 position in most things...even though this particular top spot is not welcomed by any nation im  sure.

Trump’s press conferences are hilarious, just watch the people behind him, there moth ing  “ what the fcuk. is he on “

Essjayess, I never said anything about beating it, I said he’ll use every shortcut to get the vaccine out.

As for back up and running, it’s himself who has talked of getting the economy going as he’s identified that as he put it, depression will lead to more deaths than this virus. We shall see, it’s not my opinion just commenting on Trump conference info.

43 minutes ago, ron obvious said:
Here is the latest research on deaths from #coronavirus both in the UK and elsewhere. This is by statisticians including of who I have spoken to. The key figures are circled. UK deaths estimated to TOTAL 5,700. Peak day will be April 5th with 260

So Italy's peak is tomorrow? Sounds good to me. 

The UK's peak is very soon too, all things considered.

Hopefully those statistics are accurate.

58 minutes ago, ron obvious said:
Here is the latest research on deaths from #coronavirus both in the UK and elsewhere. This is by statisticians including of who I have spoken to. The key figures are circled. UK deaths estimated to TOTAL 5,700. Peak day will be April 5th with 260

ron, is this an stimate of the eventual death toll in UK from the virus or just up to a certain date?. Also its based on the growth trajectory of what happened in China, but different nations have different trajectorys due to a number of factors, and also i would think from what we already know that Europe is on a much different trajectory than China's.

10 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

ron, is this an stimate of the eventual death toll in UK from the virus or just up to a certain date?. Also its based on the growth trajectory of what happened in China, but different nations have different trajectorys due to a number of factors, and also i would think from what we already know that Europe is on a much different trajectory than China's.

I have no more information other than that in the post.

Europe is not on a consistent trajectory. Look at Germany & Italy.

Personally I'm not placing great store by these estimates. There's still very little hard scientific data to model the situation with any certainty.

2 hours ago, T said:

Well the survey says that Americans are more worried about the economic impact than the health impact and support Trump on this so I think he will try and open things up as far as he can as soon as he can regardless of the health impacts. At least is that is what he keeps saying. 

June? try Easter... 

9 hours ago, T said:

The large majority of Americans haven’t been affected yet, as it hasn’t spread too much outside of New York and the cities. The opinion might swing as it spreads.

There does need to be a serious plan in place though - if it’s going to be 12-18 months before there’s a vaccine, is it the intention to have people in lockdown for 12-18 months? If not, are we suggesting it’s okay for us to go back out and risk lives in three months’ time?

• Like 1

We know that there won’t be a vaccine available anytime soon due to the very nature of how long they take to trial, so at some point, countries will have to work together because it’s pointless opening up Heathrow and Gatwick etc if say we eradicate it but the USA is still in the thick of it. All our hard work would be undone and we would be back to square one. Donald Trump lives in absolute cloud cuckoo land where he thinks the good old ‘God bless America’ fighting spirit with high fives all around will eliminate it alone. With his attitude, the US is looking likely to be the first place it will eventually mutate into quite possibly something far more deadly than the current strain... and that’s not from a horror movie, it’s actually very conceivable. My friends and family out there are so terrified by Trump’s current revelations, so trust me, we should be very thankful for what we have here - I can only hope that somehow Trump contracts it and is ‘taken out’, I don’t care how brutal that sounds, but he cares for no one but himself and money, and it’s time he ‘went’ for the safety of the country’s innocent people.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Aggy said:

The large majority of Americans haven’t been affected yet, as it hasn’t spread too much outside of New York and the cities. The opinion might swing as it spreads.

There does need to be a serious plan in place though - if it’s going to be 12-18 months before there’s a vaccine, is it the intention to have people in lockdown for 12-18 months? If not, are we suggesting it’s okay for us to go back out and risk lives in three months’ time?

Not sure anybody wants to look that far ahead. But the plan must surely be to get the outbreak under control, slowly get sectors going again and invest in large numbers of public health officials and tests to investigate and contact trace where pockets of infection break out. That’s the traditional method of controlling these things, what we really need is a way of identifying those who are symptomless and spreading the virus, they are the ones that are really making this much more than an outbreak of seasonal flu in terms of its infectivity.Then, hope and pray for an effective vaccine.

Edited by Van wink
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Not sure anybody wants to look that far ahead. But the plan must surely be to get the outbreak under control, slowly get sectors going again and invest in large numbers of public health officials and tests to investigate and contact trace where pockets of infection break out. That’s the traditional method of controlling these things, what we really need is a way of identifying those who are symptomless and spreading the virus, they are the ones that are really making this much more than an outbreak of seasonal flu in terms of its infectivity.Then, hope and pray for an effective vaccine.

We need to be looking that far ahead though.

If we haven’t got a vaccine for 18 months, and we can’t figure out a way of testing properly for another 18 months (which let’s face it, is likely given the costs of getting such a system up and running well enough to test virtually the whole country and, for some folk who haven’t had it and aren’t immune, presumably some form of ongoing testing and monitoring), do we just keep the lockdown until summer 2021 until a vaccine is ready?

I’d agree your plan is the sort of thing we need to be doing. How do we roll out tests nationwide? It has to be official to stop people pretending they’ve done the test at home. Would we then only let people out who have already had it (and so should be immune)? If we let out everyone who hasn’t had it yet, how would we continue to monitor them to make sure they haven’t caught it since tested and are now spreading it?  Weekly testing? 

Agreed Aggy   Unfortunately human nature is a lot of people only grasp this once they have been directly impacted so views will change.

It does sound like that anti body testing is close so it could end up that you are allowed out with a doctors certificate to show you have already it and therefore unlikely to catch or spread it.  Just speculating.

I think we will all be practicing at least basic social distancing until when vaccine is available but meanwhile there will be increased medical capacity and testing with less restrictions once hopefully the peak passes in the next few months. A difficult balance will be need to made because at some point people do need to work and get on with their lives. So lifting restrictions on work so people can earn a living and keep the country going while continuing to restrict social activities. 

1 hour ago, T said:

Agreed Aggy   Unfortunately human nature is a lot of people only grasp this once they have been directly impacted so views will change.

It does sound like that anti body testing is close so it could end up that you are allowed out with a doctors certificate to show you have already it and therefore unlikely to catch or spread it.  Just speculating.

I think we will all be practicing at least basic social distancing until when vaccine is available but meanwhile there will be increased medical capacity and testing with less restrictions once hopefully the peak passes in the next few months. A difficult balance will be need to made because at some point people do need to work and get on with their lives. So lifting restrictions on work so people can earn a living and keep the country going while continuing to restrict social activities. 

I think your speculation is probably not far off the mark. We are going to have a class of people who have developed immunity and another class that have not. One group will be doing it for the other until a reliable vaccine is discovered.Bit of a test for the cohesion in our society. Things will never be the same.

Edited by Van wink