Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

20 hours ago, Van wink said:

We are placing huge reliance on the vaccine, and rightly so in the current circumstances, but for it to do the work we need around 75% double vaxed, wait till then and from a public health perspective we will be doing the right thing

Amen. Suppress and while suppressed, vaccinate.

19 hours ago, Indy said:

I’m all for being ultra cautious if the science says so, but it doesn’t…..when will it be safe in your option to open up?

See above. Increased transmissibility means vaccine coverage has to be higher. At this rate may end up needing 95-99% coverage the way we're going, which means police chasing down crazy people and shooting them with vaccine dart guns.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, ricardo said:

Lovely part of the world VW. We often had spring holiday weeks in the Bridport, Lyme Regis area before I retired but havent been back for four or five years. 

Not the best beaches in Dorset. Lyme Regis and Budleigh Salterton are quite painful. On the Jurassic Coast, always look up as you might get a pile of rotten rock on your head. Most look down looking for dinosaur fossils.

1 hour ago, Upo said:

Amen. Suppress and while suppressed, vaccinate.

See above. Increased transmissibility means vaccine coverage has to be higher. At this rate may end up needing 95-99% coverage the way we're going, which means police chasing down crazy people and shooting them with vaccine dart guns.

I suspect the virus will shoot them for us!

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Not the best beaches in Dorset. Lyme Regis and Budleigh Salterton are quite painful. On the Jurassic Coast, always look up as you might get a pile of rotten rock on your head. Most look down looking for dinosaur fossils.

Ive grown out of sand castles and ice creams, lots of nice pubs and seafood restaurants though. Dorset also an easier drive than Cornwall.

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Ive grown out of sand castles and ice creams, lots of nice pubs and seafood restaurants though. Dorset also an easier drive than Cornwall.

Why travel when Norfolk has some beautiful beaches.

No more vaccinations at Southwold, no reason given, saying you must go to local surgery, our Surgery says not doing any, what a mess when we urgently need to jab everyone.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Last Weekend. (What I don't  tell anybody is it was 17C & blowing a cool gale) 

20210531_142102.jpg

20210531_142105.jpg

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 1

National

6238 - 11

Lots of cases but Hospitalisations flat or down. Bolton e.g. down to 34 from 49. 6 in ICU down from 12 on Monday.

Local

image.png.4764127b85641fcd4387686cf68b4b70.png

image.thumb.png.40216edca315f6357cd9b2f530dedd2c.png

image.thumb.png.097e8a3c25b461253b348ddac5448905.png

23 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Last Weekend. (What I don't  tell anybody is it was 17C & blowing a cool gale) 

20210531_142102.jpg

20210531_142105.jpg

Wells?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ricardo said:

National

6238 - 11

Lots of cases but Hospitalisations flat or down. Bolton e.g. down to 34 from 49. 6 in ICU down from 12 on Monday.

Local

image.png.4764127b85641fcd4387686cf68b4b70.png

image.thumb.png.40216edca315f6357cd9b2f530dedd2c.png

image.thumb.png.097e8a3c25b461253b348ddac5448905.png

Great to know hospitalisation rates have fallen but a fear as ever is that these rise after a 2/3 week lag. That is the acid test of the vaccination success plus existing immunity levels. With R being 1.1 to 1.3 in parts of the UK those daily numbers might reach 5 figures in less than 7 days.

Fingers crossed and everything. We don't want a third wave ....certainly not the kind with more pressure on the NHS, so they can concentrate on non Covid backlogs.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SteveN8458 said:

Wells?

Its somewhere exotic (just sent it to my colleagues in Oceanside CA).

Yes Wells.

56 minutes ago, ricardo said:

National

6238 - 11

Lots of cases but Hospitalisations flat or down...........

.........that's not much of a reassurance since surely we all realise by now that hospitalisations lag a week or two behind cases which are now increasing very rapidly, ICU & deaths even further behind.

So if hospitalisations remain flat in another week or two then that would be really good news but everything that we're hearing about the latest variant suggests that isn't going to be the case.

My concern is what has come from Public Health England, that the early evidence shows that the Delta variant gives more hospitalisations than the Kent variant. It may be right that the young and the unvaccinated may be in the majority of new infections but there seems to be a thought that hey everything is great because they are young and can withstand the virus better than the old..maybe in  many  instances but anyone getting the infection, young or old, is  always having a chance of having serious effects and illness.

The vaccination program has done  amazingly well but its still far from  being finished, until all 18 and overs are  vaccinated twice its not done and even then there is the thorny subject of the under 18s..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Walked over Golden Cap today, 7 or 8 miles and felt like it, fantastic KG.

29 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Too much for me nowadays. I just about made it to the top of that big cliff at West Bay, about four years ago. A comfy chair and a pint is about my mark now.

32 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Don't miss Durdle Door

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

.........that's not much of a reassurance since surely we all realise by now that hospitalisations lag a week or two behind cases which are now increasing very rapidly, ICU & deaths even further behind.

So if hospitalisations remain flat in another week or two then that would be really good news but everything that we're hearing about the latest variant suggests that isn't going to be the case.

Ya new infection 7 day rolling rate is now increasing by  2k a day and speeding up. Deaths to..just the first signs now that deaths are on the rise...albeit slow and only just beginning but worrying nonetheless. I sense hospitalisations are not far behind sadly.

In Europe quite a few nations stats have come way down but as they ease lockdown  features they to will just follow  us here at home and see things starting to rise once more.

I really do think the vaccination program has been immense with over 75% of adults having 1st dose and over 50% the 2nd in just around 6 months..a huge  thanks  to all involved  with the program, but of course it has to be carried on and then  maybe we can see how things stand. At some point this nation, as with all nations of course, will have to somehow decide how exactly we call life "normal" again while still living with Covid...that wont be easy for sure.

So further relaxation of restrictions in Scotland despite numbers well on the rise. Seems a stupid decision by Sturgeon to me.

in England I really hope they hold back on the 21 June final removal of restrictions, we really need to know where this is going first. We can largely live life now, let’s just hold on that bit longer while the vaccine programme continues at pace.

Also I’m incredibly frustrated about the BBC reporting of downgrading Portugal from green status where they’ve reported “scathing” criticism by the travel industry, these people have such an obvious vested interest they should be challenged for what they say.

2 hours ago, It's Character Forming said:

So further relaxation of restrictions in Scotland despite numbers well on the rise. Seems a stupid decision by Sturgeon to me.

in England I really hope they hold back on the 21 June final removal of restrictions, we really need to know where this is going first. We can largely live life now, let’s just hold on that bit longer while the vaccine programme continues at pace.

Also I’m incredibly frustrated about the BBC reporting of downgrading Portugal from green status where they’ve reported “scathing” criticism by the travel industry, these people have such an obvious vested interest they should be challenged for what they say.

Your third paragraph seems to be in conflict somewhat with the first two.

I get a daily update email from the NYT which is good to give a non-UK perspective (it's free).  This morning it's reporting divergent approaches to the Delta variant and that while the UK and Europe are maintaining limits and the UK may delay the scheduled 21 June reopening, in the US, "the economy has reopened".  The Indi 500 at the weekend had 135,000 people attending and mask mandates are being discarded.

Personally I still think delaying full re-opening for another few weeks while we see how it develops is the right plan.

15 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

I get a daily update email from the NYT which is good to give a non-UK perspective (it's free).  This morning it's reporting divergent approaches to the Delta variant and that while the UK and Europe are maintaining limits and the UK may delay the scheduled 21 June reopening, in the US, "the economy has reopened".  The Indi 500 at the weekend had 135,000 people attending and mask mandates are being discarded.

Personally I still think delaying full re-opening for another few weeks while we see how it develops is the right plan.

Me too, though you do get maybe 5 emails a day too many from the NYT! Good to read a slightly different angle.

I agree in a short delay, if only a two week one to really feel assured about the NHS resilience. It is getting so close now to the 21st and therefore I've amended my expectation that we won't be changing the date. If only because the messaging needs to be loud and clear - to cover every part of the population (some folk need it spelling out) and to leave it til the week or weekend before seems rather unwise. I can't read the government's intentions really. Seems on a knife edge.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Me too, though you do get maybe 5 emails a day too many from the NYT! Good to read a slightly different angle.

I agree in a short delay, if only a two week one to really feel assured about the NHS resilience. It is getting so close now to the 21st and therefore I've amended my expectation that we won't be changing the date. If only because the messaging needs to be loud and clear - to cover every part of the population (some folk need it spelling out) and to leave it til the week or weekend before seems rather unwise. I can't read the government's intentions really. Seems on a knife edge.

That will probably be my fault Sonyc re the NYT emails as you probably connected up to keep up with the Oxford vaccine lol

29 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

I really don't see what delaying 2 weeks is going to achieve... the can is open now so it's gonna spread fast until herd immunity unless we go back into lockdown again to try delay the spread.

Best we can do is get 1 to 9 double dosed and smash out the rest as fast as possible including 12 to 16 year olds. We really need to get past the herd immunity threshold to give us a head start before the next inevitable variant. I'd seriously be considering vaccinating children under 12 provided there is an approved jab.

Lockdown is dead, people are done with it, especially the fully vaxxed and the under 30s which really doesn't leave much cohort left. Time for more holistic measures and to double down on vaccine rollout.

There seems to be too much haste in wanting a decision. Probably the media wanting to ramp it up. There are still two weeks to go. 

What ever decision is made, personally I will still be very cautious and gel and wash hands as much as I do now.

25 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

There seems to be too much haste in wanting a decision. Probably the media wanting to ramp it up. There are still two weeks to go. 

What ever decision is made, personally I will still be very cautious and gel and wash hands as much as I do now.

Exactly two weeks away still.

But I find it uncomfortable the amount of under 30 who are saying they won’t get the vaccines and certainly won’t allow their children to have it! It’s begging to steamroller into a possible future issue.

59 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

I really don't see what delaying 2 weeks is going to achieve... the can is open now so it's gonna spread fast until herd immunity unless we go back into lockdown again to try delay the spread.

Best we can do is get 1 to 9 double dosed and smash out the rest as fast as possible including 12 to 16 year olds. We really need to get past the herd immunity threshold to give us a head start before the next inevitable variant. I'd seriously be considering vaccinating children under 12 provided there is an approved jab.

Lockdown is dead, people are done with it, especially the fully vaxxed and the under 30s which really doesn't leave much cohort left. Time for more holistic measures and to double down on vaccine rollout.

I think it's a given we should roll out the vaccine as fast as possible.  At the moment we're seeing about 3m doses a week.

Yes, things have been relaxed to a large degree, but there are still restrictions.  Keeping the remaining restrictions for the moment seems a good idea to allow the vaccine rollout to continue.  Just starting on the under 30s so a few weeks will allow for a lot of them to get the first jab.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, It's Character Forming said:

I think it's a given we should roll out the vaccine as fast as possible.  At the moment we're seeing about 3m doses a week.

Yes, things have been relaxed to a large degree, but there are still restrictions.  Keeping the remaining restrictions for the moment seems a good idea to allow the vaccine rollout to continue.  Just starting on the under 30s so a few weeks will allow for a lot of them to get the first jab.

we'll see what they decide but there's no way it'll be "just 2 weeks" if they delay the next step... probably looking at months.

48 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

we'll see what they decide but there's no way it'll be "just 2 weeks" if they delay the next step... probably looking at months.

It may not need any delay. But everyone is just going to have to be patient about this. The announcement will come soon enough.