11 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

It was a great win and part of a long unbeaten run in the PL.

If we get back there next season we will again appreciate how difficult it is to achieve such a run. 

Undoubtedly difficult. However, please lets not sacrifice our principles of trying to play football, opposed to solely concentrating on stopping the opposition play to the detriment of ourselves. I have faith that Farke will try to play football, regardless of opposition. Hughton has a style that can get results, that's to be respected but it is not for me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, All the Germans said:

Undoubtedly difficult. However, please lets not sacrifice our principles of trying to play football, opposed to solely concentrating on stopping the opposition play to the detriment of ourselves. I have faith that Farke will try to play football, regardless of opposition. Hughton has a style that can get results, that's to be respected but it is not for me.

Agree with this but many won't hold their nerve I'm afraid. Principles go out of the window after a couple of losses. Or even draws sometimes🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

Agree with this but many won't hold their nerve I'm afraid. Principles go out of the window after a couple of losses. Or even draws sometimes🙃

Agreed. There are too many extremes used in football and on here. We're either the best team ever and Farke is a genius or we're the worst and he's clueless (a phrase I've seen used in the past two weeks to describe Farke!). The reality is we are neither and a more moderate response is required for both the wins and more importantly, the losses.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I'm not totally sure Hughton does have that- it seems to have a shelf life and when the results run out very little is left.

18 hours ago, Making Plans said:

It's about time Cardiff had a bit of luck. Been robbed on several occasions recently.

Nah, not after the way they've handled the loss of Sala. Refusing to pay for the transfer - claiming he wasn't actually their player despite officially announcing the signing online (and various other interviews etc). Disgusting behaviour to backtrack in such a way after someone has died as a result of their own poor planning and negligence - which is ultimately all you can put it down to imo.

They deserve all the bad luck they get and more.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jsim1986 said:

Chris made me fallout of love with football. I remember beating Arsenal 1 -0 at home and walking out of the ground, I turned to my uncle and said I felt like it was a loss. Was a horrible horrible game of football. 

Yeah 100% if you had been there you would understand. That's not a dig genuinely its just going from watching attacking football to watching that was horrific. 

6 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Nah, not after the way they've handled the loss of Sala. Refusing to pay for the transfer - claiming he wasn't actually their player despite officially announcing the signing online (and various other interviews etc). Disgusting behaviour to backtrack in such a way after someone has died as a result of their own poor planning and negligence - which is ultimately all you can put it down to imo.

They deserve all the bad luck they get and more.

In fairness , wouldnt this be a question of insurance?....there would presumably only be a payout to the club that held his contract at the time of the accident. If Cardiff are claiming that Nantes still held the players contract , then they have every right to protest that they dont pay.....because if they did Nantes would get both the transfer fee and the insurance payout, Cardiff would get nothing.

As an Exile I need Bournemouth, Brighton and Saaarfampton to remain in  the Prem to receive us😅. Warnobb and the trogs can go down please.....

• Like 1

I don't necessarily need to be entertained with slick or attacking football but what Hughton served up here really was soul destroying. Every game was like an attack v defence training session, it felt like we had 30% possession each game at best, our players treated the ball like a hot potato that had to be got rid off immediately, we had no plan of attack, just give it to Snodgrass to win a cheap foul.

99% of the chances we created were only split second half chances at poor angles that sucked the confidence out of any stiker we played, we couldn't string 5 passes together which was shown up most when we were outplayed at home to non league Luton, couldn't concentrate defensively for 90 minutes in most games, weren't particularly good attacking or defending set pieces, we got absolutely humiliated frequently and not always by top teams

No players improved under him, we only saw regression, he had no clue how to sign the correct type of player to suit his system either. Players seemed scared to make mistakes and were too focused on carrying out instruction to play anywhere near their potential, the tactical structure never became second nature to the players so they didn't have to think all the time despite him having 2 seasons to work at it (It's taken Farke much less time to implement a more intricate and complicated system.) The players didn't seem to have any connection with the club, most were mercenaries who considered us beneath their status. Etc Etc i could go on and on

It was just a horrible time to be following this club regardless of what league we were in or what points we were grinding out. Many outside and some inside the club took it as us being fans who demanded to be entertained with attractive, attacking football but it was never about that at all, we'd just had enough of that one extreme and we didn't want nor need to swap it for the other. Hell, we could've drastically improved on what we had by switching to a McCarthy/Warnock style game such was the level of turgid, soul sucking dross we were being subjected to!

On 17/04/2019 at 08:53, Jsim1986 said:

Chris made me fallout of love with football. I remember beating Arsenal 1 -0 at home and walking out of the ground, I turned to my uncle and said I felt like it was a loss. Was a horrible horrible game of football. 

I wouldn't go that far but I can't recall one game we won where I felt we deserved to win or hadn't gotten very lucky. That's probably the feeling you were referring to. Like how Stoke fans must have felt upon leaving CR this year, except we felt that way after every rare win. Just kind of hollow. 

56 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I don't necessarily need to be entertained with slick or attacking football but what Hughton served up here really was soul destroying.

[...]

Great articulation of the issues we had.

So many outside the fan base told us what a mistake it was to sack him, he’d done so well (true at first, but not when the board called time), lovely chap (true), should give him time (er..he’d been given time & money), etc etc -

this infused lots of media talking heads and so I think people just picked it up as gospel.

These people didn’t have a clue  about our results and performances. 

Effectively the attitude was kind of Norwich were lucky to be there in the first place & surely having lovely CH was more important for a lovely little club like us than trying to stay up

Edited by GenerationA47
er..

Ah yes, Chris Hughton, the manager that led us on an unbeaten run of eleven games including six wins, culiminating in a pulsating 4-3  victory away at Swansea and who then led us on to 11th place in the league. 

Ok, if only things had improved in that second season, if RVW had been given some service rather than players just giving the ball away or passing to Snodgrass to play one man football, we might have improved a bit.

Don't get me wrong, Hughton had his faults, but his players did not do him any favours. Brighton have done well to get back in the PL and stay there more than one season (as we did with Hughton) it's just that when the pressure on the team mounts, a Hughton team seems to lose it's belief in what it is trying to do.  When you have limited resources as he has with Brighton (and even more so with us) you have to have a system the players believe totally in - as we will have with Farke if we do the business this season.  But if he's lost the players, so be it. That could be his downfall, but imo players have to take responsdibility for their performances.

We played some good games in the second half of that second season under Hughton, I went to several games and every single one of them was exciting.   I watched every other game live on TV or online and we were in many of those too - the West Ham away game sticks in the mind - clear cut chances to win and would have if Snodgrass had put his clear chance away.  Yes, we lost our way as the season progressed and the players lost something along the way - and it looks as if the same is happening at Brighton - Hughton is the manager and he takes responsibility, but it is the players who go on the pitch......

Edited by lake district canary

I always considered Hughton to be a likable individual who represented the club with dignity.

The fact that he had to cope with possibly the lowest transfer budget in the league at the time and that his one big cardinal signing turned out to be a bit of a flop surely excuses his performance at Carrow Road to some extent ..... but then I didn't have to sit through the catalogue of dire performances that he brought to Carrow Road on a regular basis.

A little known fact is that he was once considered, within the game to be a tactical guru, and that his series of videos on that aspect of football were well respected and adhered to.

A great pity that this was not evident from the way his City team evolved.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

...rather than players just giving the ball away or passing to Snodgrass to play one man football

...clear cut chances to win and would have if Snodgrass had put his clear chance away.

Poor Snoddy........

1 minute ago, lappinitup said:
3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

...rather than players just giving the ball away or passing to Snodgrass to play one man football

...clear cut chances to win and would have if Snodgrass had put his clear chance away.

Poor Snoddy........

Poor Snoddy my asp.  Poor little love had to try and be the big hero and take that penalty that would probably have got us three points and that would have probably had given RVW a boost had he taken it - and quite probably helped save that season.  History tells the tale, he undermined the manager, he undemined RVW and to cap it all he missed the penalty and three points down the drain. 

We've missed penalties this season, but none of them was due to stupidity.

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

History tells the tale, he undermined the manager, he undemined RVW......

Not if he was the designated penalty kicker.........

I think most teams have one.

Chris Hughton came incredibly close to achieving a successful formula here. Had RVW and Hooper been the forwards we obviously thought we were buying the story would have been very different. Was the football boring? Yes, it was nowhere near as cultured as we are playing now. But I remember thinking that season that we were a goalscorer away from being a comfortable mid table team. 

9 minutes ago, lappinitup said:
18 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

History tells the tale, he undermined the manager, he undemined RVW......

Not if he was the designated penalty kicker.........

I think most teams have one.

But he wasn't the designated penalty taker....🤔

I honestly can't believe how many people still defend him.

I remember thinking I'd rather get relegated than stay up if it meant he kept his job.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

I honestly can't believe how many people still defend him.

I remember thinking I'd rather get relegated than stay up if it meant he kept his job.

Luckily for you we got relegated and he lost his job. All your Christmas’s must have came at once...

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, JF said:

Chris Hughton came incredibly close to achieving a successful formula here. Had RVW and Hooper been the forwards we obviously thought we were buying the story would have been very different. Was the football boring? Yes, it was nowhere near as cultured as we are playing now. But I remember thinking that season that we were a goalscorer away from being a comfortable mid table team. 

It wasn't the goalscorer we were short of it was the negative way the team was sent out. Not even the best of goalscorers would have scored goals in that team, they were on a hiding to nothing before they started.

18 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

It wasn't the goalscorer we were short of it was the negative way the team was sent out. Not even the best of goalscorers would have scored goals in that team, they were on a hiding to nothing before they started.

I agree. And yet a goalscorer that could take the chances when they came, unlike RVW would have seen us collect another 6 or so points and had us sitting in mid table. Fine margins at that level

1 hour ago, lappinitup said:

Poor Snoddy........

Last night on 'off the ball ' Newstalk Ireland Radio, Snoddy was used as example of the anti-salah. Slow , Greedy and only slams one in like Salah did the other night every 3 or 4 seasons. Bit harsh but not a million miles off.

Wonder if RVW is still available? Seems he'd fit our current style of playing pretty well. 

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Poor Snoddy my asp.  Poor little love had to try and be the big hero and take that penalty that would probably have got us three points and that would have probably had given RVW a boost had he taken it - and quite probably helped save that season.  History tells the tale, he undermined the manager, he undemined RVW and to cap it all he missed the penalty and three points down the drain. 

We've missed penalties this season, but none of them was due to stupidity.

If a lot of the problems that season can be attributed to Snodgrass (or any other players) and Hughton continued to pick him (them), that comes back to it being Hughtons fault for picking them.

I may not be remembering this correctly but wasn't his first season looking decidedly dodgy in March and we were in with a real chance of relegation but picked up a few wins from the last few games to finish 11th? Don't get me wrong, wins at the end are no less valid than wins at any other time, but my point is that we had a very real chance of being relegated until very near the end, whereas now it appears to be remembered that we finished 11th and were never in any danger of being relegated.

16 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

If a lot of the problems that season can be attributed to Snodgrass (or any other players) and Hughton continued to pick him (them), that comes back to it being Hughtons fault for picking them.

I may not be remembering this correctly but wasn't his first season looking decidedly dodgy in March and we were in with a real chance of relegation but picked up a few wins from the last few games to finish 11th? Don't get me wrong, wins at the end are no less valid than wins at any other time, but my point is that we had a very real chance of being relegated until very near the end, whereas now it appears to be remembered that we finished 11th and were never in any danger of being relegated.

That’s correct. We were in danger of being relegated until a comfortable home win over WBA I believe. But that’s the PL, nearly half the teams in it a normally a few bad results away from being in danger of relegation 

1 hour ago, All the Germans said:

Yep- he finished a place higher but a few points below where we did under Lambert.

2 hours ago, JF said:

Luckily for you we got relegated and he lost his job. All your Christmas’s must have came at once...

Not really- he lost his job before we got relegated. However I reckon I had about 700% more fun watching us under Adams/Neil the next season in the Championship than I would have done watching another season of Hughton ball.