3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

But he wasn't the designated penalty taker....🤔

Sorry Lakey but having heard it straight from other players at the time, Snoddy took the pen from RvW because practically none of the squad had any faith RvW would score it.

Theres this false pretence that had Snoddy not taken that pen then RVW would have done, scored and finished on 20 goals. Unfortunately, that's ignoring alot of fundamental basics such as the gaping flaws in Ricky's game that basically made him useless as a sole striker. The sole bit isnt his fault, its Hughton's. 

On 17/04/2019 at 16:40, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Nah, not after the way they've handled the loss of Sala. Refusing to pay for the transfer - claiming he wasn't actually their player despite officially announcing the signing online (and various other interviews etc). Disgusting behaviour to backtrack in such a way after someone has died as a result of their own poor planning and negligence - which is ultimately all you can put it down to imo.

They deserve all the bad luck they get and more.

Yup. Cardiff welshed on the deal. 

2 hours ago, JF said:

That’s correct. We were in danger of being relegated until a comfortable home win over WBA I believe. But that’s the PL, nearly half the teams in it a normally a few bad results away from being in danger of relegation 

I think the problem stemmed from beating West Ham.

I'm sure there was a thread on it at the time...😉

• Haha 2

The trouble was that under Hughton we were set up like a table football team, very rigid and inflexible. I got the impression, from what was being said on the pitch, that our back four were told not to cross the halfway line with the ball.

It was a million miles away from our current style of play, and I know which one I prefer watching. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Sorry Lakey but having heard it straight from other players at the time, Snoddy took the pen from RvW because practically none of the squad had any faith RvW would score it.

??? Did they break into a group discussion on the pitch to decide who took the penalty, even though RVW was the designated penalty taker?  Nope, Snoddy took it off him all on his own. 

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

Theres this false pretence that had Snoddy not taken that pen then RVW would have done, scored and finished on 20 goals. Unfortunately, that's ignoring alot of fundamental basics such as the gaping flaws in Ricky's game that basically made him useless as a sole striker. The sole bit isnt his fault, its Hughton's. 

What do you mean? Its obvious he would've transformed after scoring that penalty with a huge goal scoring run for us. I mean its not like he ever had an opportunity to build any confidence up to this point was it? He never scored a cracking header in his ****ing debut or anything did he...

Its weird, that goal happening at the earliest stage of his Norwich career. It would surely have given him a massive lease of life and heaps of momentum - certainly much more so than a successful penalty (well done) after several months of awful performances had already been and gone. The fact he couldn't push on after such mental relief from that goal suggests to me that he was just a bit rubbish really, nothing he contributed in a game led me to truly believe otherwise - as much as I wanted him to succeed.

If LDC brings up how he won the ball and made a sideways pass in the build up to the Snodgrass goal vs Spurs at home... or the 2 yard header he managed to get to Howson before his goal at Stoke... I swear..

Besides we have Pukki now, he cost infinitely less and is infinitely better..

I think the RVW thing has been done to death on here, everyone has their own opinion and that's fine. 

Ultimately, what we're seeing at Brighton mirrors what Hughton did here, listening to his interview it's clear he's a good man with good intentions. Sadly,  that doesn't win football matches. 

Wow ...thats some fragile confidence for an appararant 20 goal striker, for it to be shattered so easily after a penalty miss for a penalty HE DIDN'T EVEN TAKE !!!.

Don't kid yourselves, an awful striker...one of the worst i've seen in a norwich shirt in my close to 40 yrs watching them and pound for pound the worst.

2 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Wow ...thats some fragile confidence for an appararant 20 goal striker, for it to be shattered so easily after a penalty miss for a penalty HE DIDN'T EVEN TAKE !!!.

Don't kid yourselves, an awful striker...one of the worst i've seen in a norwich shirt in my close to 40 yrs watching them and pound for pound the worst.

I'm not getting into a long discussion about this but I don't agree with you GJL.

18 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Ah yes, Chris Hughton, the manager that led us on an unbeaten run of eleven games including six wins, culiminating in a pulsating 4-3  victory away at Swansea and who then led us on to 11th place in the league. 

Ok, if only things had improved in that second season, if RVW had been given some service rather than players just giving the ball away or passing to Snodgrass to play one man football, we might have improved a bit.

Don't get me wrong, Hughton had his faults, but his players did not do him any favours. Brighton have done well to get back in the PL and stay there more than one season (as we did with Hughton) it's just that when the pressure on the team mounts, a Hughton team seems to lose it's belief in what it is trying to do.  When you have limited resources as he has with Brighton (and even more so with us) you have to have a system the players believe totally in - as we will have with Farke if we do the business this season.  But if he's lost the players, so be it. That could be his downfall, but imo players have to take responsdibility for their performances.

We played some good games in the second half of that second season under Hughton, I went to several games and every single one of them was exciting.   I watched every other game live on TV or online and we were in many of those too - the West Ham away game sticks in the mind - clear cut chances to win and would have if Snodgrass had put his clear chance away.  Yes, we lost our way as the season progressed and the players lost something along the way - and it looks as if the same is happening at Brighton - Hughton is the manager and he takes responsibility, but it is the players who go on the pitch......

38350EDB-E3EB-42AB-9CFC-E5B47753E72A.jpeg

Edited by Hoola Han Solo
  • Like 1

Yea really, let it go...Hughton / RVW arguments had their time seasons ago.

All i know is, for once, just once, could we have enough faith and patience to hang on to a manager for more than a couple of seasons and especially if we continue to yo-yo tween Prem and Champs.

At least now we have something different weve never had before...its not just a Hughton or a Alex Neil.. we have Daniel AND Webber. And unlike Huddersfield, a kind of an Academy that produces and can likely keep Webber here.

Always thought Chris Hughton was a very knowledgeable Manager

This board has had a go at Gunn, Adams, Grant, Rioch and Roeder all justified but Hughton and Lambert while here did a good job

I don't want to get into the RvW discussion again but ..... how many goals do you think Teemu Pukki would have scored in teams set up by Hughton? Not many!

41 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

I don't want to get into the RvW discussion again but ..... how many goals do you think Teemu Pukki would have scored in teams set up by Hughton? Not many!

...well, as a rough guess I'd say 20 of Pukki's 27 goals this season have been first touch finishes...for a side that didnt create too many chances I 'd say a fair few more.

Conversly , how many would RVW get in this side...without Pukki's running,stamina,,upper body strength, positional sense or clinical finishing?

He'd be more the Rhodes end of the scale than Pukki

Also: How many of this current team would have wanted to sign and play for CH and his style? If they had, would they have flourished? Maybe I should put that to Mr Tettey, as he’s got inside experience of both

Hughton-ball in full effect today. I almost feel sorry for the BHA fans.

I remember the chant on the way to the game there in 2015..."We're only here for a nil-nil."

image.png.41e28e9a3e695b56db5ac16f496c6754.png

Not getting any better at BHA. If Cardiff keep digging out points, it could be real trouble for them.

Who would you rather be up against next season, Colin or Hughton?

image.png.460a92990bb54d1782943da7da9c93ea.png

Fulham vs Cardiff

Cardiff vs Palace

Man Utd vs Cardiff

Brighton vs Newcastle

Arsenal vs Brighton

Brighton vs Man City

Could be exciting.

Brighton's last 2 games are Arsenal and Man City whilst Cardiff are away to Man Utd for their last game. Brighton might just survive on goal difference. Whilst I don't like all the anti Hughton stuff on here it would help our survival chances if he stays at Brighton for next season!

It's sole destroying watching his brand of football.

8 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Brighton's last 2 games are Arsenal and Man City whilst Cardiff are away to Man Utd for their last game. Brighton might just survive on goal difference. Whilst I don't like all the anti Hughton stuff on here it would help our survival chances if he stays at Brighton for next season!

It's sole destroying watching his brand of football.

Is that from pacing up and down a lot? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 18/04/2019 at 20:54, hogesar said:

Surely the squad couldnt have had no faith in him by the second game of the season, after scoring on his debut?

He was still the hot-shot coup of the season at that point, and a large number of his Lisbon goals were penalties